Author Topic: Complete: Planned Maintenance Downtime - Early Monday October 26, 2015  (Read 3120 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Our host is doing work on our servers on Monday morning (October 26). They are doing it to all their servers in all their datacenters and ours in Dallas are scheduled to be worked on during this window:

Start Date: Monday 26-Oct-2015 05:00 UTC (1am Eastern)
End Date: Monday 26-Oct-2015 11:00 UTC (7am Eastern)

"Maintenance to hypervisor nodes and a reboot of the virtual server instances on those nodes. New Virtual Machines provisioned before the maintenance will be included in reboots."

Mark says they'll be doing it in groups within Dallas, so our downtime will be inside that window (not the entire window). I think last time it was about 20-30 minutes we were down. So hopefully it'll be something like 6am UTC (7am UK, 2am Eastern) on Monday morning where we'll be off for a bit).

No major events like a launch, and that is a very quiet time of day for us, so that's good. Will update if we get a more specific time or if we see it completed, but this is to make sure people know it's planned and not unexpected when it happens.

---

Edit: Complete! And it was only a very short downtime from what I've heard from someone who was on site and saw it go down.  Looks like they were doing the work while we were still up and the only downtime was the reboost to install (reboots are only a few minutes).

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Our host is doing work on our servers on Monday morning (October 26). They are doing it to all their servers in all their datacenters and ours in Dallas are scheduled to be worked on during this window:

"Maintenance to hypervisor nodes and a reboot of the virtual server instances on those nodes. New Virtual Machines provisioned before the maintenance will be included in reboots."

Mark says they'll be doing it in groups within Dallas, so our downtime will be inside that window (not the entire window). I think last time it was about 20-30 minutes we were down. So hopefully it'll be something like 6am UTC (7am UK, 2am Eastern) on Monday morning where we'll be off for a bit).

No major events like a launch, and that is a very quiet time of day for us, so that's good. Will update if we get a more specific time or if we see it completed, but this is to make sure people know it's planned and not unexpected when it happens.

....and just to knock things around the Chinese has just scheduled one within those hours (~07:45 UTC).  ;)
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Online Chris Bergin

....and just to knock things around the Chinese has just scheduled one within those hours (~07:45 UTC).  ;)

Typical! At least we know it won't be live coverage and hopefully the host event won't be around the point we wait for that lift off confirmation ;)

Online the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 2728
Gee, here I am going off for another spot of surgery (not to worry, not nearly so drastic this time) on Monday morning, and you're saying I may not get to catch up on the forum before I head off for my appointment with the scalpel?   ???

Seriously, it would have to happen at the very end of the window you mention for that to happen.  And even then, I'd probably leave a touch later and get caught up before I go, anyway.

I'm supposed to be spending one night in the hospital -- if I can get my Kindle to connect to their wifi, I'll likely be logging in from there.  By then, I'm sure the site and servers will be all updated and good to go.  Whether I'll be coherent enough to post, while coming off the anesthesia, remains to be seen... ;)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online Chris Bergin

And that has been completed. Was an hour ago, site down for only five minutes I'm told! :)

Tags: