Author Topic: ARCA Space Corporation  (Read 46566 times)

Offline xyv

• South of Vandenberg
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: ARCA Space Corporation
« Reply #160 on: 08/27/2017 01:31 AM »
Not to worry.  The only flying this test stand vehicle will do is in pieces.  This seriously reminds me of a low cost infrared camera Indigogo project (muoptics) that several of us in (that) industry watched as they struggled to not be just a scam.  In the end they failed because they were seriously in over their head.  Interestingly enough the founder also owned an animation production company which helped with the money raising at least.  Plenty of frequent video status updates with weak looking lab equipment too.

Offline JCRM

• Great Britain
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #161 on: 08/27/2017 07:56 AM »
He's test-fired and flown two other HTP rockets, and I assume they've already pressure tested their tank so I think this test will probably work (produce some thrust) once they actually get their propellant, and I think the Demonstrator 3 will leave its rail

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2081
  • Likes Given: 2437
« Reply #162 on: 08/27/2017 08:47 AM »
I have been following them a long time, haven't really pulled off anything yet, but I just see it more from the perspective of persistence.

Persistence by means of misleading gullible people is not admirable in my book.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2836
  • Likes Given: 947
« Reply #163 on: 09/03/2017 06:24 PM »
Demonstrator 3 rocket design was updated by moving the aerospike engine reaction chambers on the airframe exterior.

https://twitter.com/arcaspace/status/904376510538178561

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1461
  • Likes Given: 890
« Reply #164 on: 09/03/2017 10:53 PM »
Flight of the Aerospike: Episode 10 - Engine Test Tank Casting

ARCA Space Corporation
Published on Aug 21, 2017

After meeting with the propellant supplier, the schedule for the Demonstrator 3 is reassessed. Work continues on the tank and stand for the test article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADPmCkF0n8?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #165 on: 09/03/2017 10:55 PM »
Flight of the Aerospike: Episode 11 - Tank Mold Extraction

ARCA Space Corporation
Published on Aug 28, 2017

On this week's episode, Dumitru speaks to the local commissioners in support of MVEDA, a local economic development organization. The mold of the test article propellant tank is removed from the final structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-hC8wtjO0?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #166 on: 09/03/2017 10:56 PM »
Flight of the Aerospike: Episode 12 - Thrust Frame

ARCA Space Corporation
Published on Sep 3, 2017

This week, development of the test stand continues, including the construction of a thrust frame that will be used to measure the thrust alignment of the aerospike engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxsxnpD_p8k?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2836
  • Likes Given: 947
« Reply #167 on: 09/10/2017 02:50 PM »
ARCA assembled the test stand with the aerospike engine for the Demonstrator 3 rocket.

https://twitter.com/arcaspace/status/906846230457630720

Offline josespeck

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #168 on: 09/13/2017 05:22 PM »
Welding with long sleeve. ;D ;D

Online LooksFlyable

• USA
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #169 on: 09/20/2017 11:43 PM »
So I ended up investing in ARCA and got to know the team a little bit. I actually have an amazing story to tell, but maybe I will leave that for another day. Don't want to jinx it.

There is always a level of risk like with any other investment but for those of you like me that were already on the fence about it, I just wanted to give you a heads up, and say, now might be a really good time.  In the process of learning how I could go about doing it, I contacted the SEC, the NM securities division and a corporate attorney, and as long as you have a company in New Mexico or you are a NM resident, or foreign citizen, you should be ok to invest even as a non-accredited investor. If you research the rules and regulations, you can probably find this out for yourself. If you do the research, you will find out NM doesn't actually require a company to have a NM address in order to be registered in NM and it's pretty easy to set up your own company nowadays so if you had planned on starting a company anyway, NM might be a good place. That's all I am going to say about that.

Why I decided to go through with it? I did it for these reasons:

1. I love space and small space companies with big dreams. Wish more average people had the opportunity to invest in more of them.

2. An average person typically never gets to invest in a space company at this early of a stage. By the time a company goes to IPO you typically already miss out on the largest returns. Because of that, I saw it as a risk worth taking and once in a lifetime opportunity for me. Even on a small investment, there is the potential of large returns.

3. Even though I grew up in the USA, I was born in Romania, so they're also my countrymen and I just want to support them, and I have followed them for a decade. There probably isn't a single person in Romania that wouldn't call someone crazy if they said, "I want to build a rocket company". It's just not something someone dreams about doing.  Everybody knows starting a rocket company is hard enough in the USA, but in Romania? You pretty much have to be nuts to try it and good luck trying to find any real support. Yet here they are. After more than a decade, still here. Was a smart move to finally move the company to the US though.

4. I didn't know much about investing, but I do have a professional finance background, and I do know it's probably not the worst idea to bet on companies that might be undervalued. I asked myself, how do I think any aerospace company should be worth?  Even the smallest, especially those that have been around for 10 years. I'll leave it at that.

Can't really disclose any more details than that about the investment or ARCA's future plans and I can't give you any investment advice, but if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer what I can.

I am also interested in finding people that might be interested in helping me develop a space-related website and bouncing off ideas.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 394
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #170 on: 09/21/2017 02:08 AM »
Demonstrator 3 Aerospike - Ready for Testing

EDIT: 
yes, the launch will be open to the public
« Last Edit: 09/21/2017 02:11 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline RDMM2081

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #171 on: 09/21/2017 03:38 AM »
Demonstrator 3 Aerospike - Ready for Testing

EDIT: 
yes, the launch will be open to the public

Anyone else notice the (new?) graphic at the end with a shadowy outline of a ~Falcon9 sized ARCA rocket? :o

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 394
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #172 on: 09/21/2017 04:01 AM »
When asked the question, Arca's response to that was:
Just a teaser. 😉 We will release details about it in the future

..so I guess only time will tell exactly what that means.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 2819
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #173 on: 09/21/2017 08:05 AM »
Anyone else notice the (new?) graphic at the end with a shadowy outline of a ~Falcon9 sized ARCA rocket? :o

You're not a rocket scientist worth their salt unless you dream big! :-) Surprised they are not using a common bulkhead, as you get significant mass savings there. With HTP/RP-1 a single wall can be used, so its not that expensive.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline dror

• Israel
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #174 on: 09/21/2017 09:39 AM »
So I ended up investing in ARCA and got to know the team a little bit.
Did you read this thread before making that investment?
If so, what gave you the confidence in their ability to execute, in spite of the skepticism shown here?
"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal. "
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Offline coypu76

• Southeast US
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #175 on: 09/21/2017 11:34 AM »
The only real question about this ARCA bunch is about Dmitru Popescu: how smart is he really?  Is he a testament to the Dunning-Kruger effect, or more like the unreformed Frank Abagnale when he was a kid, clever enough to think he could actually get away with the game he was playing.

As for the employees there's a similar but slightly different question:  Are they sincere dreamers in over their head or are are they fellow schemers in on the game?

Those remain questions we can pose, but one thing we can affirm with a fair degree of certitude:  this is not a serious space flight operation.  Whether they are actually aware of it is a matter of conjecture.

« Last Edit: 09/21/2017 11:39 AM by coypu76 »

Online LooksFlyable

• USA
« Reply #176 on: 09/21/2017 12:22 PM »
So I ended up investing in ARCA and got to know the team a little bit.
Did you read this thread before making that investment?
If so, what gave you the confidence in their ability to execute, in spite of the skepticism shown here?

Oh yes, I absolutely understand the skepticism. Like I said, I have been following ARCA for over a decade. I have been at times their biggest critic. I have a great story to tell one day of why I basically had to invest but like I said, now is not the time. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch so I am not going to say everything now. One of the biggest problems is a culture barrier, where ARCA is going to have to slowly adjust to correctly presenting themselves in order not to hurt their image. And I think they have shown that recently. So they came out maybe a bit iffy at times in the past with some of the videos and products, but that will fix itself in time. It's definitely because of that, and not because of anything else.

If you are talking about execution as in the Demonstrator 3, I'm crossing my fingers like any other ARCA fan, sure. That's the thing, though, isn't it? Musk doesn't execute. He hires the right people to do that for him and to learn from them. It's the SpaceX engineers that are the unsung heroes. He dreams up things, he had the money, they execute and in turn teach him things. Luckily ARCA won't have to compete for everyone else's engineers since their tech is completely different and hopefully funding will prove successful in order to hire the right people.  But really, the CEO's job is not typically to get on your hands and knees and sweat making tanks, it's to plan a path and lead your team to follow your vision.

If that's the type of execution we are talking about then, yeah I think Dumitru has proven he has what it takes to overcome difficulties, even start over, completely change directions when it was the right thing to do, and truly started something from 0. I think those are all important qualities. And that is really a big one. Whether a CEO is willing to listen to everyone's opinions, and take everything into consideration, and make changes for the better of the company and I can tell you he does. All I know is I honestly can't think of any other rocket manufacturer that has really started from 0. If he can do that and go from 0 to a $20 million company under the most extreme of circumstances, it's not that big of a leap of faith to believe he can do a lot better in the USA.

The truth is I would have invested in most of them, but I couldn't invest in SpaceX, I couldn't invest in RocketLab, I probably can't invest in a lot of the other ones I like, like Accion. But I could invest in ARCA and I felt I had to invest in ARCA. That makes it pretty easy to decide.

I also recently found out they share the same vision I do about the most efficient ways to launch rockets which emboldened my decision but that's all I can say about that. Sometimes cool things lurk in shadows...

Offline catdlr

« Reply #177 on: 09/23/2017 04:35 AM »
Flight of the Aerospike: Episode 14 - Open House at ARCA

ARCA Space Corporation
Published on Sep 22, 2017

This week, the load cells are integrated into the test stand, Michael explains the testing that will be done leading up to the engine test, and ARCA hosts an open house event to showcase recent developments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHowUYCEtvQ?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline Katana

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #178 on: 09/23/2017 04:57 AM »
If that's the type of execution we are talking about then, yeah I think Dumitru has proven he has what it takes to overcome difficulties, even start over, completely change directions when it was the right thing to do, and truly started something from 0.
Change to SSTO after messed up a standard turbopump design ?

Online LooksFlyable

• USA
« Reply #179 on: 09/23/2017 11:42 AM »
If that's the type of execution we are talking about then, yeah I think Dumitru has proven he has what it takes to overcome difficulties, even start over, completely change directions when it was the right thing to do, and truly started something from 0.
Change to SSTO after messed up a standard turbopump design ?

I am not familiar with that but I must say you are the first person I hear refer to a rocket engine turbo pump as a trivial matter.

Tags: