Author Topic: ARCA Space Corporation  (Read 33318 times)

Offline Davidthefat

ARCA Space Corporation
« on: 10/19/2015 11:48 PM »
ARCA Space Corporation has recently moved its headquarters to Las Cruces, New Mexico and has announced a partnership with Spaceport America, where it will launch and test its vehicles.

Has anyone heard of this company in the past? I've done some looking around and they seem to have chosen some interesting design choices regarding their launch vehicles. The biggest one being that the LES for the Haas 2B being incorporated into the second stage instead of the spacecraft.

http://www.arcaspace.com/index.htm

http://spaceportamerica.com/press-release/spaceport-america-and-arca-space-corporation-announce-partnership-for-space-launch-vehicle-and-high-altitude-autonomous-aircraft-testing/
« Last Edit: 10/20/2015 05:07 AM by Davidthefat »

Offline WmThomas

• An objective space fan
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 804
Re: ARCA Aerospace Corporation
« Reply #1 on: 10/20/2015 12:21 AM »
As they note on their new website, they are the Romanian group that tried to compete in the Ansari X prize and have continued to work on aerospace projects.

I don't think there is much chance they will become a reliable commercial enterprise providing some regular service. They've been more a one-shot focus organization.

But what brought about the move to the US? Or is it just a move in legal domicile, kind of like Rocketlab?

Offline Davidthefat

Re: ARCA Aerospace Corporation
« Reply #2 on: 10/20/2015 12:42 AM »
But what brought about the move to the US? Or is it just a move in legal domicile, kind of like Rocketlab?

“Only in New Mexico did we find the perfect combination of aerospace assets, airspace and affordability,” emphasized Dumitru Popescu, Founder and CEO of ARCA Space Corporation. “Proximity to Spaceport America and the expansive access to airspace were crucial factors in our decision to locate our global headquarters to Las Cruces, New Mexico in the United States.”

I presume the recent tax cuts (5.9%) in New Mexico (http://archive.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_22951305/gov-susana-martinez-signs-bill-lowering-nm-corporate) and the combination of Spaceport America critically in need of clients. And there are deduction available for space companies (http://gonm.biz/why-new-mexico/competitive-business-climate/incentives/space-gross-receipts-tax-deductions)
« Last Edit: 10/20/2015 12:46 AM by Davidthefat »

Offline BrianNH

• Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 255
Re: ARCA Space Corporation
« Reply #3 on: 10/20/2015 12:03 PM »
The Accelerator is available for pre-order and will enter into production in May 2015.

The Interface is available for pre-order and will enter into production in May 2015

These are both still on pre-order.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #4 on: 10/21/2015 04:33 AM »
Thanks David for information. Another interesting company to watch. If they start flying and selling their drones in 2016 (as per website), then cashflow maybe there to build their LVs.

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #5 on: 03/29/2017 04:09 AM »
Well, this could be interesting. It looks like ARCA might be returning to rockets. From Facebook:
Starting tomorrow, ARCA Space Corporation is going to unveil more information about this space vehicle.
They included a picture (attached) of what appears to be a mockup vehicle with a linear aerospike. It looks similar in size to their SSTO concept from a few years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haas_(rocket)#Haas_2c
I tried it at home

Offline Davidthefat

« Reply #6 on: 03/29/2017 04:34 PM »
Well, this could be interesting. It looks like ARCA might be returning to rockets. From Facebook:
Starting tomorrow, ARCA Space Corporation is going to unveil more information about this space vehicle.
They included a picture (attached) of what appears to be a mockup vehicle with a linear aerospike. It looks similar in size to their SSTO concept from a few years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haas_(rocket)#Haas_2c

This company seems to pivot way too many times, from rockets to drones, hoverboards, some kind of motorized skates, back to rockets again...

Updated their website...
I don't think their math checks out.
http://www.arcaspace.com/en/haas2c.htm
« Last Edit: 03/29/2017 09:33 PM by Davidthefat »

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #7 on: 03/30/2017 03:57 AM »
Updated their website...
I don't think their math checks out.
http://www.arcaspace.com/en/haas2c.htm

Yeah, hitting that mass ratio of 29 is going to be fun. They have a video up too:

To summarize: it is an all composite pressure fed peroxide/kerosene SSTO small sat launcher powered by a differentially throttled linear aerospike, with a first flight from Wallops in 2018. Given their past performance, I will remain skeptical.
I tried it at home

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 2634
  • Likes Given: 380
« Reply #8 on: 03/30/2017 08:49 AM »
Cool! They are using liquid Helium, heated in the engine to make gaseous Helium to pressurise the tanks. This is what SpaceX should be doing. For SSTO though, my research indicates using LOX/RP-1 gives better performance than HTP/RP-1.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2017 08:52 AM by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 400
  • Likes Given: 390
« Reply #9 on: 03/30/2017 01:48 PM »
I would love to see a linear aero spike fly, but that and all carbon construction with no attempt at reuse seems like it would end up being much more expensive than a million dollars a launch.

Offline JH

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #10 on: 03/30/2017 03:25 PM »
Yeah, seeing an aerospike fly would be cool. The fact that they have the thing going in to dock with the ISS at the end of the video makes me even more skeptical that I would be otherwise, though.

Offline rompecabezas

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: 03/31/2017 06:24 PM »
I just want em to develop the linear aerospike, i think it could be a good start for a SSTO spaceplane.

Compared to a common engine, it has better performance in terms of thrust to weight ratio?

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #12 on: 03/31/2017 06:40 PM »
How many companies doing paper rockets now?

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #13 on: 03/31/2017 09:21 PM »
It's not as high risk as it looks. This aerospike design has been proven on ground by NASA. Most of smallsat launchers are going with carbon fibre tanks. Small 3d printed pressure fed engines are far from leading edge technology, even university students build them.

If flys but doesn't quite deliver performance expected, they will still have a high performance booster to add a 2nd stage to.
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 09:25 PM by TrevorMonty »

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 2381
« Reply #14 on: 03/31/2017 09:52 PM »
I've been watching ARCA since the X-Prize days.  Even by the standards of start-up space companies, ARCA has been particularly bad about wild claims that never led anywhere.

For a while, ARCA was showing designs for their "Stabilo" launcher that they claimed was stabilized by having the rocket nozzles up front, showing they didn't even understand the elementary principle of the rocket pendulum fallacy.  The same fallacy tripped up Goddard in his early days, but in the modern world there's no excuse for someone who claims to know something about rockets not to know that.

They're in a league with Excalibur Almaz and only slightly better than JP Aerospace in terms of lack of credibility.  I'd believe more in a high-school drop-out deciding to start a launch company, because at least that person wouldn't have a history of extravagant claims with nothing to back them up.

Offline Davidthefat

« Reply #15 on: 03/31/2017 09:56 PM »
It's not as high risk as it looks. This aerospike design has been proven on ground by NASA. Most of smallsat launchers are going with carbon fibre tanks. Small 3d printed pressure fed engines are far from leading edge technology, even university students build them.

If flys but doesn't quite deliver performance expected, they will still have a high performance booster to add a 2nd stage to.

Brought to you by a company whose latest products were an over glorified multicopter "hover board" with a 5 minute flight time and a motorized skateboard/rover thing (not to mention, they took out all references to it on their site)?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/24/12023744/arca-space-electric-skateboard-arcaboard-hoverboard-mini

Not much confidence in their success.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #16 on: 03/31/2017 11:12 PM »
I'm not giving company any credibility, I'd be surprise if they fly anything.

Their LV design is with in current technology levels.

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 355
  • Likes Given: 326
« Reply #17 on: 03/31/2017 11:36 PM »
They're in a league with Excalibur Almaz and only slightly better than JP Aerospace in terms of lack of credibility.  I'd believe more in a high-school drop-out deciding to start a launch company, because at least that person wouldn't have a history of extravagant claims with nothing to back them up.

JP Aerospace are, however, both wonderfully Heinlienen and wonderfully off-the-wall - I really enjoy their penny-pinching airship-to-orbit ideas, which are sorta-maybe-possibly possible, even if fuelled by Unobtanium and hand-waving.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 3055
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #18 on: 04/01/2017 12:41 AM »
Uh...A 53 foot tall 36,000 pound rocket that weighs 1200 pounds empty?

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 2381
« Reply #19 on: 04/01/2017 12:51 AM »
These are the same people who claimed in 2012 that they would win the Google Lunar X Prize by launching a space plane that looks a lot like an F-22 from the water and have that carry an upper stage slung underneath that would go to the Moon.  The word "unbelievable" doesn't even begin to cover it.  You have to watch the video to see how stunningly disconnected from reality this group's claims are.

Tags: