Author Topic: EM-1/Artemis 1 Orion Construction and Processing Updates  (Read 201540 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81666
  • Likes Given: 36933
Re: EM-1/Artemis 1 Orion Construction and Processing Updates
« Reply #120 on: 08/30/2017 09:01 pm »
Hmm, does 'positive results' = success/as expected or as required?

We are excited to announce that analysis from June’s qualification test of @NASA_Orion launch abort motor shows positive results

https://twitter.com/orbitalatk/status/902935644703510528

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7397
  • Likes Given: 72455
« Reply #121 on: 09/04/2017 10:24 pm »
Update on schedule threats, related to Orion, from the most recent ASAP meeting minutes (publically available):

Quote from: ASAP
The third critical path item is Orion software, which is progressing from flight-software build to integrated-software testing. There is only one integrated test lab for the avionics software, hence it is a natural bottleneck to schedule flow. The Program works this on a continuous basis, but every piece of software must go through the Software Integration Lab (SIL), and it will remain a bottleneck in terms of any schedule acceleration.
Would expanding the SIL widen the bottleneck?  Is it a plausible solution?  Is it possible without a substantial budget increase?

Wasn't ISS USOS software a schedule-buster at one time?  If so, how did they fix the problem?
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8787
  • Likes Given: 7817
« Reply #122 on: 09/18/2017 09:52 pm »
NASA | Exploration Mission-1 – Pushing Farther Into Deep Space

NASA.gov Video
Published on Sep 18, 2017

In the next eight minutes, you’ll experience a twenty-five-and-a-half-day mission from roll-out to recovery of the first integrated flight test of NASA’s Orion spacecraft and the Space Launch System rocket, launching from the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. This uncrewed mission will be the first in a planned series of exploration missions beyond the moon, signaling what astronauts who dare to operate in deep space will experience on future flights.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 334
« Reply #123 on: 10/28/2017 06:55 pm »
I love having a visual representation of what has been explained in releases thus far. The only thing that caught my eye was service module fairing sep. It looks like the fairing passed very close to the core stage.

Online catdlr

« Reply #124 on: 11/01/2017 08:41 pm »
Orion Forward Bay Cover Timelapse

LockheedMartinVideos
Published on Nov 1, 2017

On its next flight, Exploration Mission-1 (EM-1), NASA's Orion will come screaming into the atmosphere from the Moon at a whopping 24,700 mph. The aeroshell – composed of critical heat shield and back shell components – protects the capsule from harm during extreme conditions of re-entry.

Then, a series of 11 parachutes deploy 24,000 ft. above the ground and carry Orion to a soft water landing. However, in order for that to happen, a portion of the back shell must jettison off at precisely the right time, revealing the drogue parachutes and the three main, 300-lb. parachutes that slow Orion’s speed.

This piece of hardware is called the forward bay cover – and this crucial component for EM-1 was recently moved from its home in Denver to Orion’s Operations & Checkout Facility at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
There, it will be integrated with Orion in preparation for the spacecraft’s 2019 test flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqRN3b-vq0c?t=001

« Last Edit: 11/01/2017 08:41 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #125 on: 11/08/2017 10:41 am »
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: 11/08/2017 10:44 am »

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #127 on: 11/08/2017 01:43 pm »
8 guys watching three guys lowering something with a rope.  depressing.

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #128 on: 11/08/2017 02:05 pm »
8 guys watching three guys lowering something with a rope.  depressing.

No need for a pointless slight in an update thread.

NASA | Exploration Mission-1 – Pushing Farther Into Deep Space

NASA.gov Video
Published on Sep 18, 2017

In the next eight minutes, you’ll experience a twenty-five-and-a-half-day mission from roll-out to recovery of the first integrated flight test of NASA’s Orion spacecraft and the Space Launch System rocket, launching from the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. This uncrewed mission will be the first in a planned series of exploration missions beyond the moon, signaling what astronauts who dare to operate in deep space will experience on future flights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcPtQYalkcs?t=001

First time watching that video, which I thought was really well done.  Gives you a real sense of the mission. ;)
« Last Edit: 11/08/2017 02:12 pm by Khadgars »
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Last Edit: 11/08/2017 06:46 pm by hektor »

Online catdlr

« Reply #130 on: 11/08/2017 09:09 pm »
Orion Evacuation Evaluation

NASA Johnson
Published on Nov 8, 2017

The latest in a series of tests to evaluate how well astronauts and ground crew can get out of the Orion spacecraft in an emergency on the launch pad was completed recently at NASA/Johnson Space Center’s Space Vehicle Mockup Facility.  Data gathered in a series of test runs will help engineers evaluate the design of the capsule and refine procedures to make sure everyone will be evacuated as quickly as possible in cases where the launch abort system is not required to be activated, such as crew illness or the presence of fire or toxins in the crew cabin.  The first crewed test flight of Orion and the Space Launch System is targeted for the early 2020s.

Offline hektor

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online catdlr

« Reply #133 on: 11/30/2017 02:02 am »
Spotlight Space: How to Build a Spaceship

LockheedMartinVideos
Published on Nov 29, 2017

We’re going behind the scenes to spotlight the latest space technology. NASA’s Orion spaceship will take people to the moon, deep space and Mars. In this episode, we’ll take you inside the factory at the Kennedy Space Center where we’re building NASA’s Orion spacecraft. As leaders in space technology, Lockheed Martin is developing the latest spacecraft and satellites to explore the universe.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: 12/04/2017 10:17 am »
Technicians assist as the Orion crew module for Exploration Mission-1 is moved toward the thermal chamber in the Neil Armstrong Operations and Checkout Building high bay at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The crew module will undergo a thermal cycle test to assess the workmanship of critical hardware and structural locations. The test also demonstrates crew module subsystem operations in a thermally stressing environment to confirm no damage or anomalous hardware conditions as a result of the test. The Orion spacecraft will launch atop NASA's Space Launch System rocket on its first uncrewed integrated flight. Photo credit: NASA/Frank Michaux

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7397
  • Likes Given: 72455
« Reply #135 on: 12/16/2017 08:51 pm »
Update on schedule threats, related to Orion, from the most recent ASAP meeting minutes (publically available):

Quote from: ASAP
The third critical path item is Orion software, which is progressing from flight-software build to integrated-software testing. There is only one integrated test lab for the avionics software, hence it is a natural bottleneck to schedule flow. The Program works this on a continuous basis, but every piece of software must go through the Software Integration Lab (SIL), and it will remain a bottleneck in terms of any schedule acceleration.
Would expanding the SIL widen the bottleneck?  Is it a plausible solution?  Is it possible without a substantial budget increase?

Wasn't ISS USOS software a schedule-buster at one time?  If so, how did they fix the problem?

Can anyone here address my Orion software questions?

Have there been any improvements in the software engineering?  Or is this still something that will delay EM-1?
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #136 on: 12/27/2017 05:38 pm »

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 1053
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #137 on: 12/27/2017 05:56 pm »
Now that's elegant.

Offline hektor

« Reply #138 on: 12/27/2017 06:30 pm »
This visual could work for EM-2 as well...

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #139 on: 12/27/2017 06:37 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcPtQYalkcs?t=001

What a really nice video. I especially liked the whole parachute landing sequence. I wonder if they used the actual parachute sims data to drive the rendering.

Most helpful is it give you some idea of what the 14 years (since the start of CxP) and the $23Bn spent (excluding what was spent on CxP before it was cancelled in 2009, although there were at least $2Bn cancellation costs on that) looks like. 

Allowing for inflation it's probably quite a bargain if you're trying to duplicate Apollo 8.

MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography