Author Topic: Can a crew Dragon dock with a CST-100?  (Read 3088 times)

Offline whitelancer64

Can a crew Dragon dock with a CST-100?
« on: 07/24/2015 02:57 PM »
Can a crew Dragon dock with a CST-100?

Yes, I know that their docking mechanisms are different, but both are IDSS (International Docking System Standard) compliant. However, what I don't know is if IDSS compliant systems can dock with each other. Does anyone here know?

I'm wondering if something like an Apollo-Soyuz Test Project mission is possible, except a docking adapter would not be required, or would it?

Also this would be useful for an on-orbit rescue if one vehicle or the other was rendered inoperable.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline BrianNH

• Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 262
Re: Can a crew Dragon dock with a CST-100?
« Reply #1 on: 07/24/2015 03:04 PM »
The IDSS docking interface is fully androgynous about one axis, meaning the interface
configuration is capable of mating to an identical configuration. During docking, one
androgynous soft capture interface must be active (active mode), while the other
androgynous soft capture interface remains retracted and locked in place, or passive
(passive mode).

It sounds like they would be able to.  The full standard is here.

http://www.internationaldockingstandard.com/download/IDSSIDD-DCN-001_Revision_C.pdf

Offline whitelancer64

Re: Can a crew Dragon dock with a CST-100?
« Reply #2 on: 07/24/2015 03:20 PM »

It sounds like they would be able to.  The full standard is here.

http://www.internationaldockingstandard.com/download/IDSSIDD-DCN-001_Revision_C.pdf

To quote the standard: "This International Docking System Standard (IDSS) Interface Definition Document (IDD) is the result of a collaboration by the International Space Station membership to establish a standard docking interface to enable on-orbit crew rescue operations and joint collaborative endeavors utilizing different spacecraft."

So the IDSS was meant to at least enable the sort of interaction I'm asking about. That's probably the best answer I'm going to get, thank you!
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Tags: