Author Topic: CRS-2: Dream Chaser Cargo System  (Read 118938 times)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8267
Re: CRS-2: Dream Chaser Cargo System
« Reply #80 on: 03/20/2015 12:01 pm »
While the CRS-2 RFP talks about docking (IDA) and berthing (CBM) being options, it also says that they need a CBM solution in the mix because of its width. See Answer 20 here: https://prod.nais.nasa.gov/eps/eps_data/160022-OTHER-003-001.pdf so that implies that at least SpaceX or Orbital ATK will get chosen.

CRS-2 RFP calls for (among other things) pressurized cargo up/down per-flight range of: M01 bag 0-10; M02 bag 10-TBP; M03 bag 0-6. How those bags fit with respect to NDS, Cygnus mini-CBM and CBM is shown in the attached figure below.

edit: added ISPR.
for some reason the requirement of removable petals was deleted from the IDSS specification. But that would have allowed for a 1200mm circle. Could you draw it?

Offline joek

• Liked: 2780
  • Likes Given: 1095
« Reply #81 on: 03/20/2015 04:37 pm »
updated diagram to show ISPR and NDS 120mm with petal impingement.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 407
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #82 on: 03/20/2015 07:18 pm »
Over all, for those worried about issues with Hypersonic buffeting on the folding wings; so long as the wings fully latch into place, in most cases with supersonic, including some HIGH supersonic aircraft, the system is actually more structurally sound than regular wing spars.

The problem is, making sure those wings mechanically latch into place.  There are a number of cheap and simple systems to check that the latches are engaged.  (If not else, lipstick cameras at each latch to make sure they are visually latched.

As a back up, one could always use Nichromium Springs, stretched out while heated, to help pull the wings into place as they cool.  (As a backup to electric servos to move them into place).

The latches could be made of steel and use neodinium magnets on the other side of the latches to hold the latches themselves in place after they have been put into place by electric servos.

Paranoid?  Not really.  I just figure Murphy is an inventive bugger and as many low mass backup systems that can be used (alternative systems) to act as a back up to a primary system, that would not be affected by a failure of a primary system, should be used.  Simple, low mass backups that won't affect the overall performance, are what I think is the safest route to if not foil Murphy, at least make it REALLY difficult for something to go catastrophically wrong.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #83 on: 03/20/2015 09:06 pm »
OK folks, don’t get all “un-hinged” about the folding fin concept... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline spacetech

• San Francisco
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #84 on: 03/20/2015 10:37 pm »
You do realize that almost every Navy jet has folded wings, including the F/A-18. I'm pretty sure the F-4 Phantom is the fastest jet with folding wings, with a top speed over Mach 2.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25223
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #85 on: 03/20/2015 11:54 pm »
You do realize that almost every Navy jet has folded wings, including the F/A-18. I'm pretty sure the F-4 Phantom is the fastest jet with folding wings, with a top speed over Mach 2.
Deja vu.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline adrianwyard

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #86 on: 03/21/2015 12:08 am »

This is getting farcical. But somehow I can't resist... See XB-70.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #87 on: 03/21/2015 12:26 am »
I think you got the wrong guy... :o

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #88 on: 03/21/2015 12:51 am »
Deja vu.

Wait, aren't they folded by the ground crew...

;-)

Offline Burninate

• Liked: 360
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #89 on: 03/21/2015 01:12 am »
While the CRS-2 RFP talks about docking (IDA) and berthing (CBM) being options, it also says that they need a CBM solution in the mix because of its width. See Answer 20 here: https://prod.nais.nasa.gov/eps/eps_data/160022-OTHER-003-001.pdf so that implies that at least SpaceX or Orbital ATK will get chosen.

CRS-2 RFP calls for (among other things) pressurized cargo up/down per-flight range of: M01 bag 0-10; M02 bag 10-TBP; M03 bag 0-6. How those bags fit with respect to NDS, Cygnus mini-CBM and CBM is shown in the attached figure below.

edit: add ISPR; edit: add NDS 120cm; add NDS petals; add M03 bag fit through NDS.
Hold on a minute...

Are those petals really the bounding box?  Or are there petals on both androgynous sides of the port, creating an inscribed circle using six petals?  I'm not certain.

Edit: Attached is an image Wikipedia uses for the NDS.
« Last Edit: 03/21/2015 01:28 am by Burninate »

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #90 on: 03/21/2015 01:46 am »

edit: add ISPR; edit: add NDS 120cm; add NDS petals; add M03 bag fit through NDS.
Hold on a minute...

Are those petals really the bounding box?  Or are there petals on both androgynous sides of the port, creating an inscribed circle using six petals?  I'm not certain.

Edit: Attached is an image Wikipedia uses for the NDS.

If I understand correctly, I think what Joek is showing is a situation where the adapter on station has fixed petals, but the VV petals are removed, so the cargo can be threaded through one triad. Is that possible?

Offline joek

• Liked: 2780
  • Likes Given: 1095
« Reply #91 on: 03/21/2015 01:53 am »
If I understand correctly, I think what Joek is showing is a situation where the adapter on station has fixed petals, but the VV petals are removed, so the cargo can be threaded through one triad. Is that possible?
Yes, that was the intent... if one set of petals is removed, the potential size increases.  I do not know if it is possible to remove either set of petals.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #92 on: 03/21/2015 12:11 pm »
https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/577913004425007104

Lindsey: will do a second Dream Chaser glide test by the end of this year (1st was in October 2013).
It's going to be great to see the bird in the air again! :)

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #93 on: 03/22/2015 12:47 pm »
I know they would like to sell concept using a “standard fairing” but I’m curious if they ever considered a modified fairing with slots cut-out for the fins. This would eliminate the need for folding fins; if the wind tunnel would confirm it and the faring integrity maintained without hanging on separation...
« Last Edit: 03/22/2015 01:14 pm by Rocket Science »

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #94 on: 03/22/2015 02:01 pm »
I know they would like to sell concept using a “standard fairing” but I’m curious if they ever considered a modified fairing with slots cut-out for the fins. This would eliminate the need for folding fins; if the wind tunnel would confirm it and the faring integrity maintained without hanging on separation...

Yes. Farings are cheap and the spacecraft does not require the faring to be airtight.

A couple of false fins on the opposite side of the faring may improve the aerodynamics by balance things.

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #95 on: 03/22/2015 08:56 pm »

Making the folding wing joints safe during reentry would not be much different of a problem then making the flaps and landing gear plasma tight.
In fact it's probably easier then then joints on the flaps since it doesn't need to move during reentry so people are pretty much worried about nothing.

« Last Edit: 03/22/2015 08:56 pm by Patchouli »

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #96 on: 03/23/2015 10:28 am »

Making the folding wing joints safe during reentry would not be much different of a problem then making the flaps and landing gear plasma tight.
In fact it's probably easier then then joints on the flaps since it doesn't need to move during reentry so people are pretty much worried about nothing.
Once again... You too got the wrong guy...  :o I'm not one of those "worried folks", I'm just looking at options to KISS. :)

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5003
  • Likes Given: 1437
« Reply #97 on: 03/23/2015 04:08 pm »
If the wings are unfolded before arrival at the ISS (which should be the nominal procedure of unfolding the wings after payload sep from LV), then any no latching problems prior to departure from the ISS can be solved.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4567
  • Likes Given: 5105
« Reply #98 on: 03/23/2015 05:21 pm »
If the wings are unfolded before arrival at the ISS (which should be the nominal procedure of unfolding the wings after payload sep from LV), then any no latching problems prior to departure from the ISS can be solved.

I am with Rocket Science:  The folding fins are doable, but ignore KISS.  They ARE a complication.
Thinking of having the astronauts do an EVA to fix an undeployed fin is a HUGE complication.  I cannot see that being considered by NASA.  They would more likely just save the download mass for another download vehicle like Dragon.

But I disagree with Rocket Science's idea of fins on the fairing or through the fairing, wihch would still give the vehicle unique aerodynamic properties, as he acknowledged.  More complications.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #99 on: 03/23/2015 08:42 pm »
At some point you've gotta accept a little additional complication in order to move forward and gain desirable long-term capability.  Shortsighted, risk averse thinking that would have us flying expendable tin cans ad infinitum is NASA's biggest problem imo, and why we so desperately need the commercial upstarts to disrupt the status quo.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography