Author Topic: Falcon 9 v1.1 ORBCOMM - First Stage Ocean Landing Video  (Read 207576 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Lens iced over for the most part:

« Last Edit: 07/22/2014 07:20 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline sublimemarsupial

• Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Falcon 9 v1.1 ORBCOMM - First Stage Ocean Landing Video
« Reply #1 on: 07/22/2014 07:22 pm »
From the update on the SpaceX site:

"We will attempt our next water landing on flight 13 of Falcon 9, but with a low probability of success. Flights 14 and 15 will attempt to land on a solid surface with an improved probability of success."

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #2 on: 07/22/2014 07:23 pm »
:)  Ours is still better!!!  (The video, I mean)  (and I'm not serious)
« Last Edit: 07/22/2014 07:27 pm by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #3 on: 07/22/2014 07:26 pm »

"We will attempt our next water landing on flight 13 of Falcon 9, but with a low probability of success. Flights 14 and 15 will attempt to land on a solid surface with an improved probability of success."

Flight 13 right now is CRS-4, if anyone was wondering.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Dudely

• Canada
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: 07/22/2014 07:26 pm »
I find it absolutely hilarious that the recovered video that we fixed was in some ways better than this one!

So who wants to guess what "solid surface" means?

Offline Chris Bergin

Someone remind me which mission Flight 13 is with?
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Dudely

• Canada
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: 07/22/2014 07:30 pm »
Link to their article on it. Has some cool info, including a reference to possibly landing on a floating platform.

http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/07/22/spacex-soft-lands-falcon-9-rocket-first-stage

Offline sublimemarsupial

• Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: 07/22/2014 07:31 pm »
Someone remind me which mission Flight 13 is with?

Orbcomm was flight 10, so if the manifest stays the way it is then flight 11 will be AsiaSat-8, flight 12 will be AsiaSat-6, and flight 13 will be CRS-4

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
« Reply #8 on: 07/22/2014 07:31 pm »
Presumably the ice formation on this flight, when there was none on CRS-3, was due to the high trajectory...

Interesting choice of words, land "on a solid surface".  That suggests it might not be on land, which further suggests it will be some sort of floating platform.  I agree with the general forum consensus that such an idea is likely not economical but perhaps as a step to proving they can stick the landing it is reasonable?

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #9 on: 07/22/2014 07:31 pm »
A few notes:

1. The Kaboom that Elon mentioned does not happen until after the stage falls horizontal. I'm guessing that it's simply the tanks being ruptured by mechanical stresses, not an actual explosion. edit -- as stated in the SpaceX release I read after posting this.

2. Could the numerous blotches on the camera lens from the first splashdown video have been created by the same entry burn process as seen in this video, not by the "dirty splash" at launch?

3. The rocket plumes are oddly patterned in this video, with a series of parallel "interference patterns", no doubt due to the arrangement of the three firing engines.

4. From the SpaceX release: "Going forward, we are taking steps to minimize the build up of ice and spots on the camera housing in order to gather improved video on future launches." Perhaps a transparent cover over the camera lens that can be ejected, or flipped out of the way, after the entry burn is finished?
« Last Edit: 07/22/2014 07:40 pm by Mongo62 »

Online TOG

• Near Chicago, Illinois
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #10 on: 07/22/2014 07:34 pm »
OMG! OMG! OMG!  That was totally AWESOME!

Wait, when? 

Ok, then, let's send up the next few "expendable configuration" missions and get on with the business of doing a dirt tap dance!

WOW!
(Copied from my post on the party thread)
« Last Edit: 07/22/2014 07:42 pm by TOG »
M's Laws of Aerodynamics:                                    On Physics Exam:
1) if you push anything hard enough it will fly          Q)The allegory of Schrödinger's cat shows what?
2) if you stop pushing it stops flying                        A)That Shrödinger was a sadistic cat hater

Offline styguy

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: 07/22/2014 07:39 pm »
Great video (when the ice isn't in the way), cant wait until the fall for the attempted water landing on CRS-4 and the potential ground landing for OG2!

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862
« Reply #12 on: 07/22/2014 07:39 pm »

The real story here is flights 14 & 15 on LAND!!  That's before the end of this year.

Does this mean they have gotten precise in hitting a designated landing location?

I wonder if F9R-Dev 2 is going to be needed if they keep collecting data with these flights?
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Tuts36

• Memphis, TN
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 2002
« Reply #13 on: 07/22/2014 07:40 pm »
We will attempt our next water landing on flight 13 of Falcon 9, but with a low probability of success. Flights 14 and 15 will attempt to land on a solid surface with an improved probability of success.

I'm wondering if that means 14 & 15 first stage will have falcon feathers (grid fins)?

Offline Sohl

• Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 451
« Reply #14 on: 07/22/2014 07:41 pm »
Now all we need to do is crowd-source a deconvolution of the icing effects on the lens.  No sweat, right? ::)

Offline UberNobody

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #15 on: 07/22/2014 07:42 pm »
The landing burn almost looked like it was sputtering.  Why would it look like that?

Offline VulcanCafe

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: 07/22/2014 07:42 pm »
The real story here is flights 14 & 15 on LAND!!  That's before the end of this year.

Not quite, the quote is 'land on a solid surface.'  Could be a stationary stabilized barge etc. I assume the words were carefully chosen to include a variety of possibilities.

Offline moralec

What an amazing video and exciting information on the road ahead! Let's have our fingers crossed for success meeting the schedule on the upcoming missions, so we can get a real landing by the end of this year!

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #18 on: 07/22/2014 07:44 pm »
Capturing this bit of text (from the SpaceX website July 22 article) for posterity or "future reference".
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #19 on: 07/22/2014 07:44 pm »

Does this mean they have gotten precise in hitting a designated landing location?

I wonder if F9R-Dev 2 is going to be needed if they keep collecting data with these flights?

From the same update...

At this point, we are highly confident of being able to land successfully on a floating launch pad or back at the launch site and refly the rocket with no required refurbishment

Or possibly some sort of barge. :o
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography