Author Topic: "Elon wants to self-certify"  (Read 10664 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21466
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: "Elon wants to self-certify"
« Reply #20 on: 05/25/2014 04:26 pm »

As long as each rocket gets into orbit, despite the incremental improvements, then gradually SpaceX will earn the trust of even the doubters.

If SpaceX has a total failure during a launch, then all of the naysayers will have plenty of ammunition to aim at the tinkering process of v1.1, v1.2, v1.3.

But if SpaceX goes another two years with all rockets getting into orbit, landing stage 1 in Florida with full HD video, etc. Then it will be tough for the old school guys to keep denying SpaceX's way of doing things. In fact, all of the other players will likely have to start copying SpaceX if they want to remain relevant.

Timeliness is almost as important.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #21 on: 05/25/2014 04:28 pm »
"Each time Elon flies a mission, it's a new rocket"

Not if he makes them reusable. :P

doubt the AF is going for reusable to save a few $$.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #22 on: 05/25/2014 04:40 pm »
As long as each rocket gets into orbit, despite the incremental improvements, then gradually SpaceX will earn the trust of even the doubters.
If SpaceX has a total failure during a launch, then all of the naysayers will have plenty of ammunition to aim at the tinkering process of v1.1, v1.2, v1.3...
This is not about "naysaying" or "doubting" ( rockets dont fly on faith, by the way ). This is about the fundamental issue of certifying a moving target.

I dont know how USAF certifies their rockets, but if i ran my product through FCC cert testing tomorrow, and then went and changed the antenna designs or duty cycle triggered by the software, i would have to re-certify the whole thing if i wanted to ship the new config to a customer.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline RocketGoBoom

• Idaho
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #23 on: 05/25/2014 04:43 pm »
"Each time Elon flies a mission, it's a new rocket"

Not if he makes them reusable. :P

doubt the AF is going for reusable to save a few $$.

I have no doubt at all that the AF will be using reusable rockets if SpaceX proves the technology works. The AF won't be the first customer. But if it becomes common and reliable for commercial launches, then the AF will follow a few years later.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7349
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #24 on: 05/25/2014 05:16 pm »

If SpaceX has a total failure during a launch, then all of the naysayers will have plenty of ammunition to aim at the tinkering process of v1.1, v1.2, v1.3.

But if SpaceX goes another two years with all rockets getting into orbit, landing stage 1 in Florida with full HD video, etc. Then it will be tough for the old school guys to keep denying SpaceX's way of doing things. In fact, all of the other players will likely have to start copying SpaceX if they want to remain relevant.

Timeliness is almost as important.

To be fair Jim most of their recent launch delays (not all) were not related to the launch vehicle. Things like weather, a fire in range radar outpost and ISS equipment failures come to mind.

Yes they need to get their *own* launch delays into better territory, but let's not be just saying "they delayed x times", when not all of those delays had anything to do with them.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 05/25/2014 05:18 pm »
Another somewhat pointless thread, based on a "mobile site" article on another site where there's one comment on their comment section and already going on 30 here.

I don't want this place turning info a free forum for other sites. Just throws all the costs on us and all the benefit in visitors to the external sites.

Let's give this place unique value via informed discussion and original content, as opposed to the above.

Besides, it's a boring thread. I didn't set this place up for boring conversations. Desperate to talk about it? This article has a comment section below it.

Locked.
« Last Edit: 05/25/2014 05:20 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography