Author Topic: EM-1/Artemis 1 Orion Service Module updates  (Read 173841 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Orion Service Module
« Reply #40 on: 11/30/2015 05:12 pm »
Local reporter notes most locals don't know the facility exists and that the area is better known for a theme park.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #41 on: 11/30/2015 05:16 pm »
44 minutes until "Mars" was mentioned for the first time and that came from a Dutch reporter. NASA HQ manager is very careful not to mention Orion and Mars in the same breath.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #42 on: 11/30/2015 05:18 pm »
Airbus notes the Shuttle OME is a good call due to delays that could occur with new tech.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #43 on: 11/30/2015 05:19 pm »
ESA starting the paperwork process for the second SM, but not signed yet.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #44 on: 11/30/2015 05:21 pm »
The SM behind them won't be flying. SM for EM-1 is under construction.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #45 on: 11/30/2015 05:22 pm »
Yay! Codemaster asks about ESA astro. :)

Camera didn't show him asking it though.

Answer is non-committal, but hopeful.

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #46 on: 11/30/2015 05:24 pm »
RocketDoc

Noticed your tag says you are based Houston,Texas ?

Why not pop along to NASA JSC and ask the media staff if they can help you in anyway with the info you need ?

Apollo Phill

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #47 on: 11/30/2015 05:28 pm »
NASA guys asked if they play Kerbal Space Program. NASA guy looks baffled, says he's heard of it, but doesn't have a clue about it.

Event over.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2015 05:28 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Remes

• Germany
  • Liked: 246
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #48 on: 11/30/2015 06:05 pm »
Interesting information bit: The pressure regulation for the fuel tanks will be done electronically (the Airbus guy said that, when asked what new technology will be used). Typically these pressure regulators are mechanically. The pressure difference acts on a piston which in turn acts on a valve (both parts are typically integrated into each other). Mechanically working regulators are very robust (close to no parts in it). But they change their regulation behaviour (dynamics) based on current pressure.

An electronic pressure regulators might allow to use more He (as the regulator will be stable even at low pressures). I wonder if they plan do depressurize the system in some conditions (e.g. when docked to a habitat, or for diagnostics reason).

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72392
« Reply #49 on: 11/30/2015 08:15 pm »
Doesn't appear to be reading from a script. Very good speech by the lawmaker. Clearly a Plum Brook fan.
side note re: Marcy Kaptur

Seeing Ms. Kaptur as the US Representative whose district encompasses Plum Brook was a surprise, until I re-familiarized myself with Ohio's congressional redistricting after the 2010 census.

Wow!

First, she's held this congressional seat since 1983.

When I was a student at the University of Toledo (I haven't found an on-line map of the Congressional districts resulting from the 1980 census), I'm sure her district was more centrally located on Toledo.

(Ohio has lost 5 Congressional seats since the 1990 census.)

Secondly, now the 9th District stretches along the shores of Lake Erie, and not into the hinterlands, all the way from the western city limits of Toledo into central Cleveland!

Unlike some other amphibians, "gerrymanders" are thriving here in the USA!

ADD 12/1: Thank you, Cody, for attending the event and then writing the NSF article!
« Last Edit: 12/01/2015 10:58 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Codemaster

« Reply #50 on: 11/30/2015 09:27 pm »
I know this is short notice, but I will be attending the event today and if anyone has any questions for me to ask, let me know.

Excellent.  Okay, here's two questions to request offhand:

1) Does ESA have a specific date when the service module for the Orion of EM-1 shall be built and ready?
2) Is the delta-v budget capability for Orion's service module still roughly 1.4 km/s or has that changed?

1) I asked this during our meet & greet before the event.  The current schedule has the the service module arriving to Kennedy Space Center in January of 2017.  During the facility tour it was brought up again and one of the Engineers from the Glenn Research station said that the current plan is to integrate Orion and the service module at KSC before shipping to the Space Power Facility for testing starting in March-April via the Super Guppy cargo plane.

2) I asked a couple people, and they couldn't get a good answer from anyone.  I tried asking Mr. Dettmann, but the European reporters had him tied up even after our tour started.  I'll follow up and see if I can find out.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2015 09:28 pm by Codemaster »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8782
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #51 on: 11/30/2015 09:55 pm »
Plum Brook Welcomes Orion’s Powerhouse

Published on Nov 30, 2015
An event on Nov. 30 at NASA’s Plum Brook Station facility in Sandusky, Ohio marked the arrival of a full-size test version of the service module provided by the European Space Agency (ESA) for NASA’s Orion spacecraft. The module will supply the spacecraft’s power, in-space propulsion and air and water for astronauts onboard Orion, which is being developed to help send humans to deep space destinations, such as an asteroid placed in lunar orbit and Mars. A rigorous test campaign will be conducted at Plum Brook to ensure the module can withstand the trip to space.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #52 on: 11/30/2015 10:07 pm »

An event on Nov. 30 at NASA’s Plum Brook Station facility in Sandusky, Ohio marked the arrival of a full-size test version of the service module provided by the European Space Agency (ESA) for NASA’s Orion spacecraft.

Maybe it's just the expected overhead that comes with government programs, but in the private sector I never remember having a ceremony when we received test equipment from a sub-contractor...
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #53 on: 11/30/2015 11:05 pm »

An event on Nov. 30 at NASA’s Plum Brook Station facility in Sandusky, Ohio marked the arrival of a full-size test version of the service module provided by the European Space Agency (ESA) for NASA’s Orion spacecraft.

Maybe it's just the expected overhead that comes with government programs, but in the private sector I never remember having a ceremony when we received test equipment from a sub-contractor...

If NASA was completely silent on all the internal progress people would be complaining too.  NASA can literally not win with some people.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris Bergin

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
« Reply #55 on: 12/01/2015 06:59 pm »
Great article Cody.  From the last available gant chart -  Re: Orion Service Module « Reply #17 on: 08/05/2015 04:56 PM » it appears the ESA-SM STA is about 3 months late, not too bad IMHO.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2015 09:59 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Peter NASA

• Extreme Veteran
  • SOMD
  • Liked: 8747
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #56 on: 12/02/2015 03:32 am »
Excellent work with the article Cody. Informative and technical as this site is. We'll be happy to see you at other Orion events!

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #57 on: 12/02/2015 04:37 am »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #58 on: 12/02/2015 08:51 am »
They will be simulating sep and solar array deploy at the facility.
Added note: initial testing of the solar array deploy is already being done at the Airbus Defense&Space (former Dutchspace) in the Netherlands. The activities at Plum Brooke is testing the solar array deploy on the integrated vehicle.

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #59 on: 12/02/2015 10:15 am »

This is a political event, and the quid pro quo for European support is this sort of event. Remember, too, that the 'international' aspect is a hedge against cancellation in the US too.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography