Author Topic: The (nothing to do with NSF but I use) Tapatalk Feedback Thread  (Read 153276 times)

Offline mtakala24

I feel you pain(s), but I doubt there is much that can be done, if the plugins are up to date.

I used Tapatalk, but it was just way too buggy in general, and reverted to just using the browser. Having a high resolution display on the phone (moved from Samsung Galaxy S2 to Nexus 5) helped. Hearing these continued shortcomings of Tapatalk does not sound good :(

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
I've reported the issue to them which is all I think people can do on this side.:(
« Last Edit: 01/15/2016 06:53 am by Star One »

Offline Herb Schaltegger

I just noticed that some images in the most recent posts in public OG-2 thread (vertical S1 on LC-40) are appearing along with a weather radar image. Links versus attachments maybe?
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Star One

• UK

I just noticed that some images in the most recent posts in public OG-2 thread (vertical S1 on LC-40) are appearing along with a weather radar image. Links versus attachments maybe?

I noticed the same in today's EVA thread.

Offline wholmeswa

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 144
As a result of my support request Tapatalk added me up to their beta program and will make a test build available to me to once it goes through review.

Not sure about when that will happen (entering a three day weekend in the states), but wanted to at least let people know the issue is being actively worked by Tapatalk.

Will update the thread when I have some results.

Wayne

Offline Star One

• UK
I cannot understand why this issue seems limited to this forum of the ones I use.

Offline Star One

• UK
Sorry for bumping the thread. Apparently Tapatalk are rolling out a patch for the broken images today.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
Personally I'd say got to "full site" to view images and view the site how it was intended.....

Going to "full site" is the *first thing I do* when my phone "decides" it wants to load up the forum in that horrible tapatalk format (which seems to be some annoying default rather than an option. It really should only be an option).
Concensus of opinion in our local developer community is that web has had its day, and that in the future it will become more and more critical to offer a good user experience via apps (or at minimum an excellent "responsive" version of the website. Otherwise, the pain of viewing the content will outweigh the attraction of the content itself for all but the most committed.

Frankly SMF are falling down on the job here by not offering an app front end.

Personally, if my laptop is on, it's because I'm working on it. It's once I switch it off that I want to do my leisure activities (or snatching a few minutes on the move between client meetings). I've missed a fair bit of content because of Tapatalk issues (mostly images, but text formatting is often mangled, too). Your users are inexorably moving to a world of mobiles and tablets. You can be left behind and lose your user base, or you can embrace it.

Cheers, Martin

Disagree.  I can type 60 to 80 wpm on a real keyboard, and about 15 wpm on my tablet.  It goes down to about 10 wpm on my phone.  The virtual keyboards are too small for me to type on them very quickly.  And before you tell me to just attach a real, full-size keyboard to my phone or tablet, consider that those devices are portable, while a full-size keyboard is not.

I prefer to use the full site format, even on my tablet, mainly *because* Tapatalk doesn't intervene and muck up the forum or its functionality when I do so.  I vote to keep the full forum formatting as much as possible, regardless of platform...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline wholmeswa

Tapatalk made a new build for me that fixes the problem.

Will update thread when I hear news of a general release date.

Wayne

Offline wholmeswa

The full fix is for both the client and the Tapatalk servers. Just verified for Tapatalk support that can get images back by delete/install the released client. So you can give that a try or wait for the next client release.

Wayne

Offline Star One

• UK

The full fix is for both the client and the Tapatalk servers. Just verified for Tapatalk support that can get images back by delete/install the released client. So you can give that a try or wait for the next client release.

Wayne

So uninstall the app & reinstall it is then.

Offline MP99

I have v5.4.8 of the app on my tablet (Samsung Note 8.0, N5120, Android 4.4.2), and phone (Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1).

Browsing the same thread, images are displaying on the phone but not the tablet.

Looking forward to the fix being released.

Cheers, Martin

PS phone was new in mid December, so TT was first installed on phone then.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2016 09:46 am by MP99 »

Offline Star One

• UK
Yep uninstalling & reinstalling the app worked on my iPhone, images are now back on here.

Offline MP99

Hmm, I wonder if the fix will also stop the "unfortunately, Tapatalk has stopped" fails?

Not sure if this only happens on the tablet. It used to mostly happen when tapping through to the full sized images. That seems to have been fixed a little while ago. Fails now just happen when browsing threads.

Cheers, Martin

Offline fgonella

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 0
Images are back on my iPhone, too, without the need for reinstall. Thank you all!  Today I'll be able to follow properly the Jason 3 launch coverage!

Offline wholmeswa

Images are back on my iPhone, too, without the need for reinstall. Thank you all!  Today I'll be able to follow properly the Jason 3 launch coverage!

They were working on a server side only fix. Sounds like they were able to get that working as well.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Just wanted to confirm that Tapatalk on iOS is now displaying images properly. Thanks to the fine folks at NSF who installed the server plugin patches and such to make it work. Very much appreciated.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Star One

• UK
Just updated Tapatalk again on iOS & keep getting an error that when making a post that includes quote or multi-quote a message comes up saying you cannot post as there has been a value error, but when you look it has actually posted.
« Last Edit: 03/25/2016 11:53 am by Star One »

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
Just updated Tapatalk again on iOS & keep getting an error that when making a post that includes quote or multi-quote a message comes up saying you cannot post as there has been a value error, but when you look it has actually posted.

Not sure if this is the client on the server plugin, but i've updated the server part to the latest version.

Offline Star One

• UK

Not sure if this is the client on the server plugin, but i've updated the server part to the latest version.

Now only occurring when featuring a post with multi-quotes like this one.

Tags: Space galaxy astronomy 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography