Author Topic: Dream Chaser ETA heads to Dryden for drop tests  (Read 100426 times)

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
Re: Dream Chaser ETA heads to Dryden for drop tests
« Reply #140 on: 08/29/2013 09:54 pm »
Funny how the X-15 used a nose wheel and this uses a skid.  Just interesting...

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #141 on: 08/31/2013 01:10 am »

Pretty interesting I would say... They figured the skids at the rear of the X-15 added stability as well as braking on the dry lake bed. The X-20 was going to use similar skids at the rear with “wire steel brushes” underneath them.

Since DC will be landing on paved runways may have been a factor for the wheels on the main gear as on the HL-20
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
« Reply #142 on: 08/31/2013 07:24 am »

Pretty interesting I would say... They figured the skids at the rear of the X-15 added stability as well as braking on the dry lake bed. The X-20 was going to use similar skids at the rear with “wire steel brushes” underneath them.

Since DC will be landing on paved runways may have been a factor for the wheels on the main gear as on the HL-20

Wheels on the main gear allow steering via directional braking, while eliminating nose wheel steering.
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #143 on: 08/31/2013 11:22 am »

Wheels on the main gear allow steering via directional braking, while eliminating nose wheel steering.
Correct, I've mentioned that before a while back on other DC threads as well. ;)

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=9921.msg878422#msg878422
« Last Edit: 08/31/2013 11:27 am by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
« Reply #144 on: 09/02/2013 05:24 am »

Correct, I've mentioned that before a while back on other DC threads as well. ;)

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=9921.msg878422#msg878422

Knew I had read it on here but didn't remember the source. Thanks for the reminder. :respect:
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #145 on: 09/05/2013 12:49 am »
Spacex's cargo vehicle is very different in some ways from the manned version. So really the dragon manned version has not been tested yet physically. Boeing's CST-100 capsule drop test was really just a shell. Dreamchaser will be the first test of an actual, although, partial vehicle.

I think we all know that. The point is that many systems that will be in common HAVE been tested on orbit, in an actual flying spacecraft. Not a partial/structural test article - even if the shape of this "partial vehicle" is close to the final vehicle.
Understand and point taken. It's true that some of Dragon's manned systems have flown on an actual cargo vehicle to orbit. It will be interesting to see how the race shakes out in 2014 with Spacex's pad abort and inflight abort tests. I have a feeling though that a successful Dreamchaser drop test could go a long way in cementing a top 2 position in the upcoming dowselection. Especially if Boeing or SpaceX appear to lag for whatever reason.
I'm not sure it'd cement them ahead of Boeing just because Dreamchaser isn't going to build more airframes and so plans to use this test airframe for the flight vehicle.

I don't believe this actual airframe is going to space. That's the job of the next one. I do believe this ETA is a lot more functional than the aluminum shells used in the capsule drop tests
More functional than the ones that went to ISS?

I'll be very interested when I see an airframe with full TPS and full propulsive capability tested. Then it'll be real!

They are building another airframe already (the FTA - under  construction at MAF by LM) which they plan to fly propulsively and at  higher speeds and altitudes, and possibly to orbit.

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #146 on: 09/06/2013 06:13 pm »
They are building another airframe already (the FTA - under  construction at MAF by LM) which they plan to fly propulsively and at  higher speeds and altitudes, and possibly to orbit.
A Sierra Nevada ship is being built by Lockheed Martin at a NASA Facility?
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #147 on: 09/06/2013 08:10 pm »

Yes, LM is a subcontractor to SNC.

If NASA has extra space at MAF, why shouldn't LM lease some of it ?

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #148 on: 09/07/2013 11:41 pm »

It's on the news site.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/01/dream-chaser-breathe-new-life-into-michoud/

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
« Reply #149 on: 09/08/2013 12:38 am »
Any word on when the drop test will be?
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #150 on: 09/08/2013 07:58 pm »
Any word on when the drop test will be?

That's what I'm wondering too. I heard summer of 2013 thrown around a little, and now I'm hearing September of 2013.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography