Author Topic: "Hybrid" propellant tanks/stages.  (Read 2495 times)

Offline MattJL

• Rock scientist, not a rocket scientist.
  • United States
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
"Hybrid" propellant tanks/stages.
« on: 01/25/2013 10:26 pm »
This one's simple enough.  Propellant tanks maintain stability through either being a completely rigid mass (pretty much every launch vehicle ever launched, a notable exception being Atlas), or by behaving like a stainless steel balloon (Centaur, Atlas).  Both of them have their drawbacks and strengths, so why not combine the two?

I envision a propellant tank with rigid walls (which would carry most of the structural load along with the tank being pressurized) and stainless bulkheads and tank domes (which would carry the load of the fuel and not much else). 

A stage such as this should suffice for a Falcon 9 - class launcher and probably not anything much larger in diameter than that.  I'd imagine that one of the greatest advantages would be decreased weight and a simplification of the manufacturing process.  Such a stage would also not be subject to the same difficulties faced when stacking a Centaur, namely having to be fully pressurized to ensure that the thing doesn't collapse.

EDIT:  Had a funny feeling it was so on Falcon, Jim.
« Last Edit: 01/26/2013 06:21 pm by MattJL »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: "Hybrid" propellant tanks/stages.
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/2013 12:52 pm »
Already exist, see Falcon and Atlas V

Offline spacejeff

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 08/14/2013 10:48 am »
Already exist, see Falcon and Atlas V

Anyone know what sort of pressures are used in the Falcon 9 and Atlas main tanks?  I'm curious how the added pressure for structural support compares to the pressure the tank sees from the weight of fuel under acceleration.  I wonder if the pressure on the bottom of the tank from the fuel is more at liftoff (full of fuel but low g's) or later on (less fuel but more g's).

Offline cordwainer

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: 09/01/2013 08:42 pm »
How about microfluidic tanks consisting of numerous small pipes like a radiator, probably not applicable to a lift-off first stage but might be useful in a second stage or as part of a space maneuver engine? It would fit well with MIM technology based rocketry.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #4 on: 09/01/2013 08:48 pm »
Why?  What benefit would it have to offset the additional mass?

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography