Author Topic: Remembering Endeavour: A final journey to the California Science Center  (Read 12782 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Our final article on Endeavour.

Remembering Endeavour: A final journey to the California Science Center - by Chris Gebhardt:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/10/remembering-endeavour-final-journey-california-center/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Space Pete

Wow. What an article.

The last few lines got me, I'll admit.

One of the things that I always have, and always will, love about this site is the personal touch such as the one in this article - the fact that we do, as a site, passionately care about the subjects which we write about.

What a great way to give Endeavour an honourable send-off, great work Chris G.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline CessnaDriver

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 2
I can't stress enough the surreal stunning experience of walking around a street corner and there is a spacecraft sitting in a parking lot.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/CessnaDriver/IMG_2157_zpsd30f0892.jpg

My favorite of the fleet. It was America saying we will not quit after Challenger in fact we will build a replacement, and when I read the new name in Aviation Week and Space Technology it was the perfect name.

This was a deep experience to see her so loved by so many people coming to see her. Classrooms of children walked over to see the spaceship in the parking lot.

One day I am certain another spacecraft shall bear the name. 

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
I posted this before, but will again.  Picture I captured during sTS-134 with Endeavour flying in formation with ISS.  She should be flying, not on the mean streets of LA.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Wonderful article Chris G!  :) Thank you for the reminder of all her journeys for which we on Earth shared with her.  To the good ship Endeavour… Sleep well and dream of the stars that shined upon you...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
Beautiful Chris G, absolutely beautiful.

She will long be remembered for her outstanding service. Hopefully many will remember the people behind her that made those missions and dreams a reality.

A true inspiration of the American dream to boldly go beyond and reach for tomorrow.
I only wish the calls of USA! USA! USA! during her final move were directed to the future of American Spaceflight, not the past.

Bravo Chris.

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
The LA Times has nice set of diagrams showing the future exhibits at the California Science Center around ol' OV-105:

http://graphics.latimes.com/storyboard-la-me-shuttle-open/

The SpaceHab is a nice touch.
« Last Edit: 10/29/2012 03:03 pm by simonbp »

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

The LA Times has nice set of diagrams showing the future exhibits at the California Science Center around ol' OV-105:

Slightly off-topic question: how many SpaceHab modules were built? What is the flight history of this one (apart from STS-116/118)?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815

The room pictured in the article is already open to the public in the main Science Center, 2nd floor.  The other OV-105 room is the future building devoted to the Shuttle and that has not been disclosed yet.
« Last Edit: 10/29/2012 09:51 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
 Endeavour Tundra racing tonight on Speed TV. Now that’s a cool sponsor…  :)

Toyota conducted “the big pull “of Endeavour across the 405. Race driver Todd Bodine got to visit Endeavour and sit in its driver’s seat…

http://www.facebook.com/toyotaracing
« Last Edit: 11/16/2012 11:49 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline spacedog71

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
it's probably going to be a while before i can get back to southern california. is there any reason to expect that the temporary display will change from its current configuration (museum attendees can walk underneath endeavour) in the next few years?

i'd assume there will eventually be a well-publicized closure of the temporary display so that it can be moved into its permanent home's vertical configuration.

but i'd hate to learn that the current configuration had an interim step, in which it was lowered off of the yellow crane and mounted on its landing gear -- necessitating an udvar-hazy-esque closure of public access to the space underneath it.

so, if i want that underneath-endeavour photo op, do i need to get to california in 2013, or will 2014 or 2015 do?

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
but i'd hate to learn that the current configuration had an interim step, in which it was lowered off of the yellow crane and mounted on its landing gear

Part of the reasoning behind leaving Endeavour on the overland transporter was to facilitate its eventual move to the Samuel Oschin Air & Space Center. There are no plans therefore, to lower Endeavour's landing gear.

And currently, there are no plans to restrict access under Endeavour — but one cannot state definitively what might happen over the next four years.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography