Author Topic: LIVE: Discovery's Final Journey - Preps, Departure and Arrival  (Read 193635 times)

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 25
Yeah, I for one am beyond excited to go see her in May, I am sure I will just sit and gaze at her for hours walking around taking it all in.
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 603
  • Likes Given: 244
Yeah, I for one am beyond excited to go see her in May, I am sure I will just sit and gaze at her for hours walking around taking it all in.

Its Monday in the greater DC area, most tourist go home late Sunday or early Monday, and there is the rush of people returning to work and clogging the Beltway. Kind of dissuades you from driving out to Dulles.
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 25
Was checking out the webcam, Seems Discovery is getting to be the guest of honor tonight for a dinner banquet, They have a podium set up and they are setting up tables, etc for some kind of dinner. The girl is there for just a few weeks and already getting dinner guests :)
« Last Edit: 05/01/2012 08:23 PM by brettreds2k »
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I will be there to see Discovery June 1 tagging along with the new Lufthansa 747-8i on the FRA-IAD inaugural flight.

I knew I would be there soon after she was taken to her wonderful new home at the NASM. I did not know how but I knew it wouldn't be long until I would be there for a visit.

What better way to cross the Atlantic than on the inaugural flight of a brand new airplane type!

Party flight one way to IAD on flight LH416 and party flight (again) from IAD to Frakfurrt on flight LH419 a double whammy inaugural.

Thank you Lufthansa for choosing IAD to fly your new airplane commercially for the very first time!

I booked the turnaround to IAD and back the same day 1 June with a few hours between flights to visit two beautiful ladies... Space Shuttle Discovery and Concorde F-BVFA my Delta winged angel.

That's the way to go!

:))
« Last Edit: 05/05/2012 03:32 PM by MadameConcorde »
For once you have tasted Concorde you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 126
  • Likes Given: 539
Could you (or anyone) kindly post some screenshots of both views?

Attached. And yes, that is the Canadarm RMS on display alongside Discovery.

Does this mean they've opened the payload bay doors?
No. The payload bay doors are closed and will remain that way. The RMS was removed prior to final PLBD closure n the OPF.
What are they doing with the APAS mechanisms?
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Space Pete

They are all in the SSPF at KSC (needed to be removed from the orbiters since they contained pyrotechnics). I don't know about possible future re-use, since NDS should be used on all future vehicles.
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 603
  • Likes Given: 244

They are all in the SSPF at KSC (needed to be removed from the orbiters since they contained pyrotechnics). I don't know about possible future re-use, since NDS should be used on all future vehicles.

I wonder if they can return them for a refund from Roscosmos  :D
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Tags: