Author Topic: Ron Paul views on space  (Read 47292 times)

Offline dcporter

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 388
Re: Ron Paul views on space
« Reply #140 on: 01/17/2012 02:57 PM »
I have lots of wish list budget priorities that look small compared to random larger numbers.

This thread is serious because it shines a light on big questions about how best, going forward, to fund & stimulate space work that we all want to see happen. It's a mockery for how we've handled those questions...

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2155
  • Likes Given: 5092
« Reply #141 on: 01/17/2012 04:17 PM »
I have lots of wish list budget priorities that look small compared to random larger numbers.

This thread is serious because it shines a light on big questions about how best, going forward, to fund & stimulate space work that we all want to see happen. It's a mockery for how we've handled those questions...
Great, then start a thread with that topicÖ
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob, Physics instructor, aviator, vintage auto racer

Offline Warren Platts

« Reply #142 on: 01/17/2012 04:30 PM »
What a crock... "were big heroes", newsflash, we have astronauts on orbit right now.

Hey, he's got a point. Those guys that went to the Moon were heroes. People that have to hitch a ride on a Russian rocket to get to LEO just aren't in the same, "right-stuff" category.

"We can't afford it right now", the US Mars company takes in 30 billion dollars in chocolate bars and chewing gum sales annually. We talking half that to fund NASA.

(A) Mars is a private company; (B) Dr. Paul was speaking specifically of the Shuttle program, where arguably, the results we were getting from it weren't justifying the cost. (Obviously, there's room for disagreement; me personally, I would have recommended keeping it going until at least there was an American replacement vehicle)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."--Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #143 on: 01/17/2012 04:31 PM »
This is a joke thread...
This is a joke deficit, for a litany of joke cause, including joke casus belli and joke stimulus. It's hysterical. As for the Nasa budget, just crudely assigning federal budget to a representative fraction of constituency, 1 in 200 Americans would put their money where their mouth is for space leadership. In the spirit of leaving no stone unturned, what if Mars Bar increased their unit cost by one cent, and added a small bit of print on the label that said, one penny of this purchase goes to fund <insert physically feasible project that lacks venture capital here>. Would you vote with Mars products? I'm always buying some product that says it's helping some cancer foundation or other.

Offline dcporter

« Reply #144 on: 01/17/2012 04:41 PM »
I wouldn't make such a weak argument.

Offline MP99

« Reply #145 on: 01/17/2012 05:28 PM »
In the spirit of leaving no stone unturned, what if Mars Bar increased their unit cost by one cent, and added a small bit of print on the label that said, one penny of this purchase goes to fund <insert physically feasible project that lacks venture capital here>. Would you vote with Mars products? I'm always buying some product that says it's helping some cancer foundation or other.

Mars bars for a Mars mission?

cheers, Martin

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #146 on: 01/17/2012 06:36 PM »

I'd be happy with mini marshmallows for a minimal inflatable t e s t article on ISS. The packaging gives you instructions on how to add toothpicks and make your own ISS. Maybe food coloring for windows. :-\ + >:(

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6912
  • Likes Given: 4873
« Reply #147 on: 01/17/2012 06:44 PM »
Re:Mars bar funding a Mars mission. Perhaps Fight Club was prescient: "When deep space exploration ramps up, it'll be the corporations that name everything, the IBM Stellar Sphere, the Microsoft Galaxy, Planet Starbucks."

And regarding the quotes from Ron Paul about the space program and astronauts: I just think that the mission of human spaceflight appeals to something beyond simple ideology in many people.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 610
  • Likes Given: 314
« Reply #148 on: 01/17/2012 08:41 PM »
Perhaps Fight Club was prescient:

I was thinking more on the lines of: "The first rule of HSF Club is that you don't talk about HSF Club."

Which is what the candidates are doing.  HSF is not important to any of them.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #149 on: 01/17/2012 09:15 PM »
In the spirit of leaving no stone unturned, what if Mars Bar increased their unit cost by one cent, and added a small bit of print on the label that said, one penny of this purchase goes to fund <insert physically feasible project that lacks venture capital here>. Would you vote with Mars products? I'm always buying some product that says it's helping some cancer foundation or other.

cheers, Martin

Remember Helen Sharman the girl from Mars?
http://www.astronautix.com/astros/sharman.htm

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2155
  • Likes Given: 5092
« Reply #150 on: 01/17/2012 09:16 PM »
I wouldn't make such a weak argument.
Iím not arguing, just stating that this thread is about Ron Paulís space policy as a candidate for president. Perhaps his lack of one is whatís weakÖ  At least Gingrich will stand up for his and take ridicule from Romney.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob, Physics instructor, aviator, vintage auto racer

Offline dcporter

« Reply #151 on: 01/18/2012 11:26 AM »
Paul does have a space policy, it's that the government should stop spending money on space. And although you and I disagree with it, it's a consistent position, and attractive to some. I sort of thought this thread could be a proving ground for arguments against that position, and "my budget desire is small compared to this other random large number" weakens the point.

...That having been said, the obvious space reference in Mars Inc. was clever, and you were probably not aiming for a considered rebuttal to Paul, and I apologize for the snark.

Offline Skamp_X

• Belgium
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #152 on: 01/27/2012 01:02 AM »
watching live debate in florida
Hes pretty much saying on space, 'only interest for national defence'
not much...
 :-X

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1466
  • Likes Given: 894
« Reply #153 on: 09/14/2017 04:21 AM »
bump....

Ron Paul in the pocket of United Launch attacks Defense Dept and Spacex

Next Big Future
by: Brian Wang | September 13, 2017

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/09/ron-paul-in-the-pocket-of-united-launch-attacks-defense-dept-and-spacex.html?ref=yfp

Ron Paul is attacking Spacex and the Defense Department since there is a restriction in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) from using Russian Rockets. United Launch (a combination of Boeing and Lockheed) had a space launch monopoly for over a decade but then became dependent on using the Russian RD-180 rocket. The Russian RD-180 engines is used for the Atlas 5 rocket.
Tony De La Rosa

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 542
« Reply #154 on: 09/14/2017 05:05 AM »
Sen. Paul's article is outrageously misleading.  Brian Wang provides much-needed counterpoint, though the title he chooses might be a bit over the top.

Has Paul come out with anything like this before?  Old=space defense contractors do not figure prominently among his donors in the 2016 election.

Beal Bank is listed as a donor.  Is that the same Beal who was behind the failed Beal Aerospace, a failed newspace launch effort from before the term "newspace" existed?  He was quite bitter about how the government treated him, and perhaps he has an ax to grind for SpaceX.  Still, he contributed only $250,000, so he seems unlikely to exert much influence on Paul.

EDIT:  I failed to keep my Paul's straight!  The piece is by Ron Paul, the former Republican representative from Texas who is the father of Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky.  Campaign contributions to Rand Paul at best peripherally relevant.
« Last Edit: 09/14/2017 05:34 PM by Proponent »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2949
  • Likes Given: 708
« Reply #155 on: 09/14/2017 06:08 AM »
Beal Bank is listed as a donor.  Is that the same Beal who was behind the failed Beal Aerospace?

Yup. Beal Aerospace was founded in February 1997 by Andrew Beal, president of Beal Bank in Dallas, Texas.

That's an amazing connection. As for influence, all he'd have to do is have lunch and bitch and moan a bit. It's not like Ron Paul does fact checking.

Wow.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2949
  • Likes Given: 708
« Reply #156 on: 09/14/2017 06:48 AM »
Quote from: Andrew Beal
Elonís a friend of mine, heís a genius, and I have monitored his progress over the years. Obviously, heís accomplished an incredible feat. Governments have set out to do what heís done but have been unable to achieve it. So, I monitor a lot of his efforts in general, but I donít specifically target the McGregor test facility. Although, itís is a great test facility and Iím glad that heís getting good use out of it."

Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 542
« Reply #157 on: 09/14/2017 11:10 AM »
Thanks -- that makes it seem very unlikely that Paul's diatribe was stimulated by Beal.

Eric Berger has a piece in Ars Technica in which he speculates as to Paul's motives, pointing both to campaign contributions by Boeing and Lockheed Martin in 2012 (the last time Paul made it to a general election) and a relatively sympathetic stance toward Russia.

Presuming Paul runs for re-election next year, if Boeing and Lockmart once again show up as major contributors, I for one will be sold on the proposition that Paul is shilling for them.
« Last Edit: 09/14/2017 11:11 AM by Proponent »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5368
  • Likes Given: 3552
« Reply #158 on: 09/14/2017 03:38 PM »
Thanks -- that makes it seem very unlikely that Paul's diatribe was stimulated by Beal.

Eric Berger has a piece in Ars Technica in which he speculates as to Paul's motives, pointing both to campaign contributions by Boeing and Lockheed Martin in 2012 (the last time Paul made it to a general election) and a relatively sympathetic stance toward Russia.

Presuming Paul runs for re-election next year, if Boeing and Lockmart once again show up as major contributors, I for one will be sold on the proposition that Paul is shilling for them.

I would be extremely dubious of any allegation that either Rand or Ron Paul shills for anyone or anything other than liberty.

Accuse the Pauls of insufficient fact checking, or of not necessarily thinking everything through, sure. But shilling? no.  This isn't a general political thread, nor should it become one, but that isn't how libertarianism works.

Stick to space related stuff rather than pronouncements about the morals of politicians, their motivations, or debating stuff like the Fed (as was done some years back, this thread was never cleaned out) or what the nature of libertarianism (or other any other) might be.

« Last Edit: 09/14/2017 05:23 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1605
  • Likes Given: 1410
« Reply #159 on: 09/14/2017 04:20 PM »
So this is purely based on him being angry about the - much waterered down - RD-180 embargo?

Tags: