Author Topic: The China Taikonauts Thread  (Read 41437 times)

Offline Nordren

• Finland
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 94
Re: The China Taikonauts Thread
« Reply #80 on: 08/23/2017 08:00 AM »
I can identify the following: ...

Between Yang Liwei and Matthias Maurer is astronaut trainer Huang Weifen.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 2833
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #81 on: 08/25/2017 04:25 AM »
Article on the ESA astronauts training in China.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/Astronauts/ESA_and_Chinese_astronauts_train_together

24 August 2017

ESA astronauts Samantha Cristoforetti and Matthias Maurer joined 16 Chinese astronauts earlier this month for nine days of sea survival training off China’s coastal city of Yantai. The ultimate goal is for ESA to establish a long term cooperation with China and ESA astronauts to fly on China’s space station.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline GELORD

• ChinaSpaceflight
  • St. Petersburg
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #82 on: 08/25/2017 06:12 PM »
Huang Weifen, deputy research chief of the Astronaut Center of China, previously said that recruitment and training of China's third generation of astronauts will start this year.
The field of candidates will expand from Chinese Air Force pilots to include space industry engineers. All 21 of China's first and second generation astronauts were Air Force pilots.
与战士站岗、炊事员做饭一样,航天员是一种职业,工作就是飞行。

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #83 on: 08/26/2017 12:00 AM »
I can identify the following:

BOTTOM ROW (left to right)

Chen Dong

Wang Yaping

Liu Wang

Liu Boming

Samantha Cristoforetti

Yang Liwei

[Unknown] (from China)

Matthias Maurer

[Unknown] (from ESA)

[Unknown] (from ESA)

Ye Guangfu

Zhang Xiaoguang

The other 11 taikonauts in the top row are unrecognizable to me. Who knows? Maybe they might consist of the third selection of taikonauts.

As noted upthread, the 3rd group has not yet been selected. There's no reason to assume that they second row has "11 taikonauts" or three or even any: those folks could all be training or support personnel.

And to Olaf, whose posts I enjoy, I don't think it's useful to conclude that the veterans taking part in this training are automatically active. They could have become training supervisors.

And further... some of these reports claim that there were "16 astronauts" taking part in these exercises, but it sure looks like nine total to me -- 7 China, 2 ESA.

Michael Cassutt

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #84 on: 08/26/2017 07:17 AM »
And further... some of these reports claim that there were "16 astronauts" taking part in these exercises, but it sure looks like nine total to me -- 7 China, 2 ESA.
They are talking about six groups with three participants, 16 Chinese and two Europeans.
The first group was shown here https://twitter.com/AJ_FI/status/894279066433585153.
The second and third group was not shown, or I have not seen them.
And the last three groups could be the nine astronauts shown on the picture above.
But this is only my suggestion.

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #85 on: 09/01/2017 09:56 AM »

As noted upthread, the 3rd group has not yet been selected. There's no reason to assume that they second row has "11 taikonauts" or three or even any: those folks could all be training or support personnel.

And to Olaf, whose posts I enjoy, I don't think it's useful to conclude that the veterans taking part in this training are automatically active. They could have become training supervisors.

Michael Cassutt

I'd agree with Michael's comments. All the commentary, so far, from China, suggests that the third group has not yet been selected, so it would be wrong to conclude that any of the unidentified people are taikonauts.

Furthermore, the missing three men from the 2010 selection do not appear anywhere in the photos of the actual exercises, which implies that the Chinese have deliberately kept them out of sight and not involved them. Same with the unflown guys from 1998.

This was largely a PR stunt, and an exercise in practical collaboration, a rather than mission related training, and it seems the Chinese wheeled out all their 'big guns' to take part, but I doubt many of these participants are realistic contenders to fly to the CSS.

Finally, the 'missing' taikonaut in the sixteen may well have been an instructor. The  Russians have done this for decades for both winter and water survival training exercises.   
« Last Edit: 09/01/2017 09:57 AM by tonyq »

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #86 on: 09/12/2017 12:52 PM »
Here is an interview with Matthias Maurer
http://gbtimes.com/19572
A short summary from him about this training
We had in total nine astronauts in training during the two weeks that we were there. My colleague and I, Samantha Cristoforetti, an Italian astronaut, were the two Europeans. And then we had seven Taikonauts, or Chinese astronauts. And in total we formed three teams of three each. For example, Yang Liwei was among team one with Wang Yaping, the second Chinese female astronaut and Zhang Xiaoguang. Team two was Liu Boming, Ye Guangfu and myself. And team three was Liu Wang, Chen Dong and Samantha Cristoforetti.
... Three other teams of astronauts also did this training before we were there, so in total there were 18 astronauts trained.

Tags: Taikonauts