Author Topic: Argentina's SLV development  (Read 172418 times)

Offline Nahavandi

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Argentina's SLV development
« on: 09/01/2011 01:47 am »
http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/Rest_World/Tronador-LSA/Description/Frame.htm :

Argentina has a plan for building a small satellite launcher.

The project is being managed by the CONAE (Comision Nacional de Actividades Espaciales), which integrates the work of many scientific institutes and universities in the country.

The plan recalls the Condor ballistic system which was being developed by the Argentine Armed Forces. Argentina was forced to scrap the project in 1993.
Fourteen years after having de-activated the Condor-II missile program, Argentina is again experimenting with rockets.
Argentina’s Space Activities National Commission is in charge of the project which has had significant support from the Kirchner administration.

Specifications :
http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grupoartax.com.ar%2FCA_TronadorII.html

Wiki article:
http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fes.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FTronador_II&act=url

b14643.de photo gallery:
http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/Rest_World/Tronador-LSA/Description/Frame.htm

« Last Edit: 01/02/2012 11:07 pm by Nahavandi »

Offline Oberon_Command

• Liked: 62
Re: Argentina's Tronador II
« Reply #1 on: 09/01/2011 01:49 am »
Is it me, or does the launch pad in that launch diagram (last attached image) look a LOT like KSC's LC-39?

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 4225
  • Likes Given: 3520
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2011 10:32 am »
From Volume 37, Issue 33 of EIR Online, Published Aug. 27, 2010

Argentina To (Finally) Develop Its Own Satellite Launcher

Aug. 19 (EIRNS)—Argentina plans to develop a rocket launcher that will be able to place its domestically built small satellites into low Earth orbit, the head of the Argentine National Commission for Space Activities (CONAE) announced Aug. 15. Conrado Varotto said Argentina could launch satellites for one quarter the cost of buying foreign launch services, and that the technology would all be developed domestically.

According to CONAE, the Tronador II ("thundering") rocket will build on Argentina's current Tronador I project, which uses a liquid-fueled engine, weighs about 60 kg, and can travel on an unguided ballistic trajectory up to 20 km. Tronador II, which will be about 10 times heavier, will use multiple engines, and add navigation, guidance, and control technology, so that the rocket can be deployed to a specific point in space.

Varotto stated that satellites weighing between 250-400 kg could be launched with the new rocket, which he said could be ready for its first flight test in 2013, if the resources are provided. The small satellites would be a "dynamic cluster," he explained, each one designed for a specific mission, to test a particular technical capability. In this way, a failure in one does not jeopardize all of them, and allows for an "immediate response." Using conventional technology, he said, it can take up to six years to design, build, and launch a satellite.

http://www.larouchepub.com/eiw/public/2010/2010_30-39/2010-33/2010-33/ibero.html
« Last Edit: 09/01/2011 10:36 am by Salo »

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Last Edit: 09/01/2011 10:50 am by Salo »

Offline Nahavandi

« Reply #4 on: 09/02/2011 11:27 am »
It will be quite interesting to see how the Tronador II will preform against Brazil's VLS-1 V4 .

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #5 on: 09/03/2011 02:52 am »
Not even close. We'll be lucky if it flies a 100kg demo to LEO in five years. The Army's Orbit has higher chances.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: 09/03/2011 05:22 am »
What is Army's Orbit?  ???
« Last Edit: 09/03/2011 07:10 am by Salo »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #7 on: 09/03/2011 08:01 pm »
What is Army's Orbit?  ???
Argentina has two orbital LV projects. One is the hypergolic project form the civil space agency, CONAE, commonly known as the TRONADOR Project, or more correctly ISCUL (Inyector Satelital de Cargas Utiles y Livianas, or Satellite Injector of Useful and Light Payloads) if you can read Spanish I would recommend this thread. Since it's made by a civil agency, and after the Condor II issues, they are very paranoic not to have anything to do with military applications. They went as far as not accepting anybody who had any experience from the Condor. Which is a shame since it had an immature GNC mostly develop. They have a small budget, and the they spent quite a long time developing a 4tnf thrust pathfinding engine, they had to do with a range that's only good for polar orbits (the only available place for normal orbits didn't pass the environmental impact), but they actually flew the guidance computers on Brazilian sounding rockets. Apparently those problems are behind, but the project is too ambitious for the budget and the political instability and economic realities will make it very difficult to actually launch an orbital flight. They did launched two TRONADOR rockets, but were mostly pathfinders and less than a good sounding rocket.
The second project is from the Ministry of Defense, it has a project to develop a "big" solid rocket engine family. The original project was called GRADICOM. Once the single stage GRADICOM was successfully demonstrated, the two stages GRADICOM II was developed. You can read about it in my post. But basically it was a 1ton rocket with dual HTPB solid cores, with no thrust vectoring nor active surfaces, but it demonstrated successfully staging, and telemetry. The next version will be called Orbit, and will have active control. With any luck, it will launch next year. According to my calculations, if they use four cores as a first stage, they will reach orbital heights (400km), I don't think they will reach orbital speeds, but will probably demonstrate their GNC. They do have the experience from the Condor, and they want to use the single engine version for an artillery piece upto 400km, and with a multiple stage version (I calculate at least four) that could put small satellites on LEO. If you can read Spanish you can find more in this thread.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: 09/04/2011 07:21 am »
Muchas gracias! :)
« Last Edit: 09/04/2011 07:58 am by Salo »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #9 on: 09/14/2011 07:19 pm »
Regarding the Orbit, the current schedule is to be publicly announced on October (election month), and a possible launch in November. The Orbit 2 is in the executive project stage. All this according to Grupo Leiva (I believe their site is http://rhleiva.com.ar/), the engine manufacturers. The Gradicom and Orbit were shown in EPSAM 2011, but, regrettably, I couldn't attend.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #10 on: 09/28/2011 05:58 pm »
Orbit
This is the manufacturer of the engines. This is the best picture I could find around. So apparently they will have a single first stage (I expected a four as first stage and one of the same as second). What I can't see is any nozzle, nor active surfaces. So it seems more like a tactical missile than anything else. But the picture is very bad, I'll see what can I get. I've been told that the width at the base is 560mm. The GRADICOM II was 320mm.

Tronador II
Acording to this article. The rocket will be assembled in the Punta India Base, by the National University of La Plata, by the middle of 2012. The idea is to launch by 2013 from the Belgrano Naval Base (since they have the necessary infrastructure). They've leased a hangar from the Ministry of Defense, to do the initial system testings. they are working on the structural parts, and will receive, test, accept and integrate the engines and electronics from the other developers.
The rocket is expected to have a height of 34m and put a 200kg payload in a circular 600km polar orbit.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2011 07:08 pm by baldusi »

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: 10/09/2011 06:33 pm »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #12 on: 11/16/2011 11:37 am »
This thread is specific to, and only for, Tronador II.

It shouldn't require an explanation.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline baldusi

« Reply #13 on: 11/17/2011 05:50 pm »
First picture of the Tronador T4000 pathfinder rocket.
According the the Instituto Universitario Aeronáutico's newsletter, in the last page they explain their participation in the project. The T4000 engine is a 4000kgf rocket engine.

To recap:
Tronador 1
Launch Site: Puerto Belgrano Navy Base
Date:
Length: 3.4m
Weight: 60kg
Propellant: Anilin/Nitric Acid
Thrust: 500kgf x 10 sec
Liquid propulsion: . Successful.
Objective: testing of the telemetry and ground support team.

Tronador 1bis
Launch Site: Puerto Belgrano Navy Base
Date:
Propellant: Anilin/Nitric Acid
Thrust: 1500kgf x 10 sec
Result: 13km apogee and 21km downrange according to the GNC.

VS-30
Launch Site: Barreira do Inferno Launch Center.
Date: 2010-12-16
Objective: Flight validation of the GNC (gyroscope, accelerometer, positioning and a cold-gas attitude system that utilizes a solar sensor).
Result: 140km of apoggee. Payload made a parachute reentry and was successfully recovered from the sea.

T4000
Launch Site: Puerto Belgrano Navy Base?
Date: ?
Propellant: Hypergolic
Thrust: 4000kgf x ?? sec
Objective: Test GNC and validate engine technology?

Offline baldusi

« Reply #14 on: 11/22/2011 09:50 pm »
Now I'm getting lost! After the Orbit project (a 560mm wide solid engine), now they are talking about the suborbital FAS 1500, now specifically from the Argentinian Air Force (FAA).

FAS 1500:
Dry weight: 2050kg
Payload: 200kg
Apogee: 350km
Engines: 4 first stage + 1 second stage
Stages: 2
Thrust First Stage: 18.000kgf
Thrust Second Stage: 4.500kgf
Firing time: 15seconds (each stage)
Maximum speed: Mach 10
Other systems:
- Redundant Telemetry system
- System for remote destruction of satellite launcher (Flight Termination System?)
- Onboard Sensor for measure and registry of flight parameters.
- Payload separation and recovering system.

At the 0:16
of this video
At 0:33
of this one
and 0:00
of this one

you can see a model. Ironically, they've named it "Fenix" or Phoenix in Spanish. May be some reference tho the Condor II program? In any case they seemed to be doing a very interesting approach. From rumors, it seems that this is a low risk approach to a 4+1 engines two stages solid LV. At the same time, they are working on the bigger Orbit. If both projects are successful, then they will combine them in a 4+1 LV, but with the 560mm engines of the Orbit.

At the same time, they are talking about
The Applied Research Center of IUA is apparently working on "plasma" and "hybrid" engines for nano and micro satellites. I guess with "plasma" they mean ion thrusters for station keeping, and "hybrid" are deorbiting engines.
BTW, could a mod change the Thread's title to "Argentina's Launch Vehicle development" or something like that?
« Last Edit: 11/29/2011 05:26 pm by baldusi »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #15 on: 11/22/2011 10:01 pm »
Let me add another picture of the FAS 1500 and a note of the Tronador II.

Edit: New picture from behind of the FAS 1500 "Fenix" model. And new information:

Both Gradicom/Orbit and FAS 1500 are HTPB solid rocket. But, apparently, the FAS 1500 uses 280mm engines taken from the Sonda I sounding rocket and the fuselage from the Castor sounding rocket.
« Last Edit: 11/23/2011 06:43 pm by baldusi »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #16 on: 12/06/2011 01:13 pm »
More news about the T4000! Pictures taken 25th of Nov 2011. They are stating that it will fly by December this year.
I love that they do have a sense of humor.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #17 on: 12/07/2011 02:03 pm »
Rumors on the forums are that yesterday they tried to launch the T4000, and they couldn't ignite it. They also told me that it lacks a turbopump, so it's probably pressure fed. At the same time, the picture appears to show an ablative nozzle.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #18 on: 12/14/2011 12:01 pm »
Ok, this was worse than I imagined. Apparently, the T4000 didn't had a purge. So after the launch failure, they had to "safe it" with a MAG. Yes, they shoot the tanks with a MAG from an helicopter! Apparently they shoot 50 shots, 15 were on target. This way they emptied the tanks.
I don't know what to say. Please someone tell me this is SOP. I always thought you could purge an hypergolic rocket. Or is there any particular problem of doing such a thing?

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #19 on: 12/14/2011 04:20 pm »
So after the launch failure, they had to "safe it" with a MAG. Yes, they shoot the tanks with a MAG from an helicopter! ...

This reminds me, that one of the US Viking sounding rockets in the 1950ies failed to lift of and had also been shot to relief the tank pressure and to prevent the vehicle from bursting. The Viking was saved by being shot and was later patched and conducted an successful flight.

Offline Nahavandi

« Reply #20 on: 01/02/2012 11:05 pm »
BTW, could a mod change the Thread's title to "Argentina's Launch Vehicle development" or something like that?

I'll change it right now .

Offline baldusi

Re: Argentina's SLV development
« Reply #21 on: 05/14/2012 03:50 pm »
Not exactly about the LV, but the comm sats that we are launching next year have their coverage maps online:
http://www.arsat.com.ar/satelites.html

Offline Nahavandi

« Reply #22 on: 05/14/2012 05:28 pm »
Not exactly about the LV, but the comm sats that we are launching next year have their coverage maps online:
http://www.arsat.com.ar/satelites.html

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #23 on: 07/06/2012 02:09 pm »
This is a Presentation of August 23th, 2011 by CONAE. There's some info about the SAC-D, some info about the CONAE's Falda del Carmen testing lab (shakers, vacuum chamber, anechoic chamber, etc.) for small sats. Then there's some information about the SAOCOM, with weight, measures, and a very interesting organizational chart. The B&W image is made by the SARAT, an aircraft borne SAR for development purposes of the SAOCOM subsystems.
And last, there's the latest concept of the Tronador II. It's a lot more logical from what I see:

LEO orbital launcher
Polar Orbits at altitude 600km
Maximum payload: 250kg (it's not clear if it it that to 600km or the maximum of the LV).
Built in Argentina
Launched in Argentina

Total Length: 27m
Total Weight: 60 tonnes
Dry Weight: 8 tonnes
First Stage: Diameter 2.5m, Thrust 90tonnes force.
Second Stage: Diameter 2.5m, Thrust 30tonnes force.
Third Stage: Diameter 1.5m, Thrust 4tonnes force.

Offline osiossim

• Liked: 12
« Reply #24 on: 07/09/2012 12:12 pm »
Dear baldusi,

I always wonder about the rationale behind Argentina's launch vehicle development program.

Can you share some ideas about it?

Offline spaceStalker

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #25 on: 07/09/2012 02:03 pm »
Prestige + ICBM's, the usual..

Offline baldusi

« Reply #26 on: 07/09/2012 02:28 pm »
We had an ICBM (Condor II), and atomic technology, we simply decided not to pursue. In fact, many US nuclear war heads have Argentinian material. I won't say, though, that the fact that Brazil is doing a SLV isn't part of the motivation, though.
The truth is the we have developed a relatively advanced satellite capabilities upto 3.5 tonnes. But the national aerospace agency, CONAE, is betting on a segmented (or fractional) satellite architecture, like the DARPA F5 architecture. Thus they need really small launchers for cheap. They had an objective of 6M per launch for a 250kg payload to a 600km SSO. I don't really think they can pull it off, I think everybody who tried it has failed (see Pegasus, SpaceX, etc.). And it's probably that if anybody achieves those prices will be with an evolution of XCOR, Masten or Armadillo, rather than the equivalent of Scud technology. They do appear to have taken a page from SpaceX. As they apparently will use the same engine for first and second stage.
And they have some experience with hypergolic propellents from the satellite thrusters and the T4000 project will end up making the third stage engine. My guess is that they are also developing an indigenous kick engine for satellites. Basically, you can't share much technology from a modern LV with your satellite industry, but you can with hypergolics.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #27 on: 07/09/2012 03:45 pm »
In fact, many US nuclear war heads have Argentinian material.

Source?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Downix

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: 07/09/2012 04:25 pm »
In fact, many US nuclear war heads have Argentinian material.

Source?
Argentina was a prime source of Uranium for US warheads for a long period, currently supplied through companies such as Blue Sky and Calypso.
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline baldusi

« Reply #29 on: 09/11/2012 07:19 pm »
According to this article:
The failed T4000 was a test of the TVS system. It failed to ignite due to a valve. The planned impulse time was just 10 seconds.
The current plan has six stages, called VEX. Only four are talked about and I'll correct some mistakes that I'm assuming they are makings.

VEX 1: One stage. Apparently it will weight 1.8tonnes and have a 4tnf engine (the articles states it the other way around, which doesn't makes any sense). Apparently is a 30 seconds mission with an optional additional 30 seconds. Budgeted for 2013/14.
VEX 2: First Stage will use 3 x 4tnf engines. Second Stage will use a 4tnf engine. Budgeted for 2014/15/16.
VEX 3: One 30tnf engine. Budgeted from 2015 onwards.
VEX 4: One 30tnf engine.
VEX 5: First Stage 3 x 30tnf and Second Stage 1 x 30tnf + RSC (new development). Apparently it will stage at 80km.

I've mixed the information on the article with the information from the Budget Office. Just download the Excel, items 57125 (VEX I), 57126 (VEX II) and 57630 (VEX III).

Offline albatros68

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #30 on: 10/10/2013 02:42 pm »
Argentina's CONAE might  test Tronador/VEX 1 October 12-17 at 35-31.26S 057-11.3W

Offline baldusi

« Reply #31 on: 10/11/2013 01:56 pm »
Argentina's CONAE might  test Tronador/VEX 1 October 12-17 at 35-31.26S 057-11.3W
Source? El diario de Punta de Indio? Ojo que ese no es el lugar de lanzamiento y me hace pensar que es un ensayo sin lanzamiento.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #32 on: 11/10/2013 12:32 am »
Apparently CONAE did a press day in Las Pipinas, Punta de Indio, Buenos Aires Province with the VEX-1, the first technological demonstrator for the Tronador II project. Apparently it's, basically, the upper stage, with a flight GNC, and the mission objective is to demonstrate the avionics (GNC). They are planning a total of 6 demonstrator missions. The plan is to launch on 2015 Sept NET for the orbital capable Tronador II Tecnológico (this might imply a technology demonstrator). Budget is 2B Pesos (287M at today exchange rate) in the next three years.

VEX 1
Length: 14.5m
Weight: >3tonnes
Launch: next few weeks.

The article (Spanish)
(Spanish)

Offline baldusi

« Reply #33 on: 11/10/2013 12:35 am »
Some of the screencaps of the video on the InfoBAE article:

Offline baldusi

« Reply #34 on: 11/10/2013 12:36 am »
And some more.

Offline cdemczuk

• Lanús, Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #35 on: 11/12/2013 04:01 am »
It's incredible to think that with this launch we are waiting to see a "failure" to find what's wrong. According to Varotto the chances of succes are 10%. Of course it's a test, and there is not such thing as a failure. 8)

Offline baldusi

« Reply #36 on: 11/15/2013 02:45 pm »
It's incredible to think that with this launch we are waiting to see a "failure" to find what's wrong. According to Varotto the chances of succes are 10%. Of course it's a test, and there is not such thing as a failure. 8)
Varotto knows about managing expectations. Look at the failure of the T4000. It was a very shameful failure. And look at any other on-off project. Aborts and failure are the norm. That's the route CONAE has chose. Which given the budget and experience I think is a wise one. They lack the infrastructure, experience and budget to do a system egineering heavy approach like current NASA/DoD. So small and evolving is the most reasonable way to go. Which, incidentally, is how all other space powers did it originally.

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #37 on: 11/15/2013 09:38 pm »
Yes, you are right! Varotto is being very carefull about this project. He is aware that any little thing could shut down the project (by internal or external forces). I'm not an expert in the subject but I notice that the rocket engine nozzle is pretty weir, isn´t it? Not the cup form that I usually saw, especially being this the second stage which should work at low pression.  This is a recent photo of VEx-1 at launch pad (not mine). Hablamos en inglés siendo los dos argentinos pero supongo que hay que hacerlo para dejar el tema abierto a los demás. Saludos. ;)

Offline baldusi

« Reply #38 on: 11/24/2013 02:11 pm »
From http://www.hidro.gov.ar/Nautica/Radioav/radioCRP.asp:

** RIO de la PLATA 1930 23/11/13 **
----------------------------------------
PROVINCIA DE BUENOS AIRES
RIO DE LA PLATA MEDIO Y EXTERIOR
CARTA H-116

PROHIBIDA NAVEGACION PESQUERA Y DEPORTIVA POR LANZAMIENTO SATELITE TRONADOR II,
DIA 29 DE NOV POR LA MAÑANA, EN EL ÁREA DETERMINADA POR:
PSN 35-31.26S 057-11.3W Y RADIO DE 7 KM.

Short version: forbidden navegation on Nov 29 in the described zone due to the launch of the VEX.

The referenced chart (Carta H-116) is the Exterior Rio de la Plata and can be downloaded from here.
« Last Edit: 11/24/2013 02:29 pm by baldusi »

Offline lbiderman

• Going where no Uruguayan has gone before
  • Buenos Aires - Argentina
    • Mars Society Argentina
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #39 on: 11/29/2013 11:23 pm »
From http://www.hidro.gov.ar/Nautica/Radioav/radioCRP.asp:

** RIO de la PLATA 1930 23/11/13 **
----------------------------------------
PROVINCIA DE BUENOS AIRES
RIO DE LA PLATA MEDIO Y EXTERIOR
CARTA H-116

PROHIBIDA NAVEGACION PESQUERA Y DEPORTIVA POR LANZAMIENTO SATELITE TRONADOR II,
DIA 29 DE NOV POR LA MAÑANA, EN EL ÁREA DETERMINADA POR:
PSN 35-31.26S 057-11.3W Y RADIO DE 7 KM.

Short version: forbidden navegation on Nov 29 in the described zone due to the launch of the VEX.

The referenced chart (Carta H-116) is the Exterior Rio de la Plata and can be downloaded from here.

No news yet. I have a "contact" inside CONAE, I'll ask her if they where able to pull the launch off.
"If I wanted to lead a bunch of robots that could only follow orders, I would have joined the Army!"
Captain Alvarez (Uruguay Marine Corps) in Congo (MONUC Deployment), March 2007

Offline baldusi

« Reply #40 on: 12/06/2013 02:24 pm »
New interviews:

Part 1

Part 2

Interesting tidbits:
VEX is the experiments and will be launched from Pipinas, Punta de Indio. They expect to launch four times.

The Tronador II will have a complex built right next to the Navy's Puerto Belgrano Base.
Note from me: The Navy is ceding the plot, but they'll use some range and safety infrastructure from the launch base. The ideal position that they wanted was 50 km south of Pinamar, but since they have planned an hipergolic propellent plant, the EIS didn't pass. Further north was too populated, and the base was the only place where they could get the EIS approved. It's a former range, if I'm not mistaken.
Everything is being developed from scratch.
All the complex design are preliminary.
Rocket and fuel will be produced on site (apparently)

Offline baldusi

« Reply #41 on: 12/09/2013 01:05 pm »
And they have finally revealed that the first stage (at least, I suspect first and second) will use RP-1/LOX. The local oil company (YPF) will be producing the kerosene.
Here is the article of the local news paper.
According to  Eduardo Taraba, chief of construction at Barerias and CONAE official, the whole complex will have four main building areas that will be connected by a road. The whole complex will hold, in 30Ha, the rocket manufacturing plant, rocket and engine test stand, payload integration building, horizontal integration facility and launch pad (incl. control center) near Pehuen Co, plus other civil buildings.
According to  José Manuel Aspigueta, a CONAE chemist, the hypergolic propellant plant is being studied to be installed near Coronel Rosales (very close by) or in Ensenada (some 50km south of Buenos Aires City) and transported to the launch pad. Upto now, hipergolic fuel and associated processes was developed in Falda del Carme, Córdoba Province (and former place of the Condor II project).
« Last Edit: 12/09/2013 01:06 pm by baldusi »

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #42 on: 12/19/2013 12:55 pm »
And they have finally revealed that the first stage (at least, I suspect first and second) will use RP-1/LOX. The local oil company (YPF) will be producing the kerosene.
According to  Eduardo Taraba, chief of construction at Barerias and CONAE official, the whole complex will have four main building areas that will be connected by a road. The whole complex will hold, in 30Ha, the rocket manufacturing plant, rocket and engine test stand, payload integration building, horizontal integration facility and launch pad (incl. control center) near Pehuen Co, plus other civil buildings.
According to  José Manuel Aspigueta, a CONAE chemist, the hypergolic propellant plant is being studied to be installed near Coronel Rosales (very close by) or in Ensenada (some 50km south of Buenos Aires City) and transported to the launch pad. Upto now, hipergolic fuel and associated processes was developed in Falda del Carme, Córdoba Province (and former place of the Condor II project).

What's our local expertise on handling kerolox engines? As far as I know, none. Do we know if it's pressure-fed or turbopump-fed?
"If I wanted to lead a bunch of robots that could only follow orders, I would have joined the Army!"

Offline baldusi

« Reply #43 on: 12/20/2013 02:02 am »

What's our local expertise on handling kerolox engines? As far as I know, none. Do we know if it's pressure-fed or turbopump-fed?
The rumors and system design do point to a 30tnf turbopump-fed gas generator design. All procurement documents on 30tnf engine have always talked about turbopump. And I doubt they'll do anything but gas generator cycle with kerosen. The experience is, basically, null. But many have started with kerolox, since it's the easiest combination to handle and one of the easiest to start (of the non hypergolic). It's the correct choice, in my humble opinion. Big hypergolic were not only ridiculously dangerous, but given the desire of CONAE to clearly stay out of military application technologies, they would create a lot of international problems.
If they pull this out, this is gonna be an extremely interesting project. They had stated that they expected a USD 6M price for a 500kg to a 400km polar orbit. If they achieve that, they'll have a very interesting product. I seriously doubt they can achieve that cost on the first try, though.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #44 on: 12/24/2013 08:41 pm »
CONAE officials have confirmed RP-1 as fuel. It will be produced by YPF. And they did stated that they needed the RP-1 because its used for cooling. So they are confirming regenerative cooling.
On a different note, the SAOCOM-1A was stated to launch in 2015 and the SAOCOM-1B in 2016.

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #45 on: 03/03/2014 02:29 am »
Well, as you probably might know, the launch test of VEx-1 occurred on February 26th.
Apparently the test vehicle rose two meters before fall back into the launch pad and burn.
There is very little information from CONAE. (none).
There is still no public report of the test.

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #46 on: 03/06/2014 02:23 am »
CONAE says the vehicle didn't explode. They say the engine started but the "take off didn't happen". They still don't know why this happened but apparently the rocket is in "good shape" to investigate the causes. There is a rumor that there was a problem with the pneumatic tensioners. CONAE also qualified the test as positive because they tested several subsystems which ones were nominal at the moment of the event.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #47 on: 03/06/2014 02:55 am »
From what I understood, it did clear the launch platform. But apparently an hydraulic cylinder of the TVC failed. I'd guess that the system did a shutdown, but that's my speculation. CONAE officials did stated that they had recovered most pieces and the root cause was being investigated. But the second and third vehicles are already built and they did validated all the start sequence. The original flight was going to be just 800m downrange. So its not that bad since the failure is, apparently, a low tech mechanical problem and the really complex systemic issues were mostly validated.
Personally, I'm worried that the failure was a low tech mechanical issue. But this is all second hand information.

Offline plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #48 on: 03/07/2014 03:59 pm »
the French magazine Air & Cosmos has published a couple of pictures
http://www.air-cosmos.com/espace/echec-du-demonstrateur-argentin-vex-1a.html

Offline baldusi

« Reply #49 on: 03/07/2014 05:30 pm »
That image has been circulating through Argentinian forums. No fire is apparent and it's clear that they recovered everything (thou the system is probably not salvageable). Regrettably the picture is very low resolution. But the way it fell down just right to the ramp, and the way the nozzle is to the side with one broken pneumatic cylinder (it had two at 90 degrees of pitch and yaw control), are very consistent with ether a cylinder failure or a cylinder attachment failure.
Overall, I do share CONAE's assessment that the test had a "positive" result. They validated practically all the complex parts, including pressurization, ignition, thrust, etc.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32734
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #50 on: 03/08/2014 04:44 am »
Wow. Unlucky that the vehicle failed, but to not have an explosion? Has that ever happened before?
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #51 on: 03/08/2014 09:51 am »
Wow. Unlucky that the vehicle failed, but to not have an explosion? Has that ever happened before?
MR-1?

Offline baldusi

« Reply #52 on: 03/08/2014 12:02 pm »
It was supposed to have an apogee of 300m and fly downrange 800m. It didn't had much propellant. Since it's a pressure fed system, when it fell the tank most probably punctuated and lost pressure. So it must have shut down by itself.
If the TVC cylinder that broke was the yaw, it all closes.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #53 on: 03/09/2014 01:48 am »
Btw, by the press release they had 200kg of hidracine and 260 km of RFNA. Given the volume, there's got to be a whole lot of space in the tanks. The fulltanks should be about 1,000kg and 1,400 for the VEX.

Offline albatros68

« Reply #54 on: 08/15/2014 06:16 pm »
Updated information on CONAE`s site about  Tronador 2:
http://www.conae.gov.ar/index.php/espanol/acceso-al-espacio
Yhe launcher will use  kerolox on 1st stage (retains 90 ton thrust) and MMHydrazine on pressure fed 2nd stage (4 ton thrust)
Also is preparing launch of Vex 1b

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
« Reply #55 on: 08/15/2014 06:50 pm »
That image has been circulating through Argentinian forums. No fire is apparent and it's clear that they recovered everything (thou the system is probably not salvageable). Regrettably the picture is very low resolution. But the way it fell down just right to the ramp, and the way the nozzle is to the side with one broken pneumatic cylinder (it had two at 90 degrees of pitch and yaw control), are very consistent with ether a cylinder failure or a cylinder attachment failure.
Overall, I do share CONAE's assessment that the test had a "positive" result. They validated practically all the complex parts, including pressurization, ignition, thrust, etc.

Well, it has potentile, but I find it kind of disturbing that the rocket configuration is so much like an ICBM.  Could be they're being influenced by SpaceX, but still...
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline albatros68

« Reply #56 on: 08/16/2014 09:53 am »
Last night Vex 1b was succsessfully launched

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #57 on: 08/17/2014 07:25 pm »
Here it is a caption of VEx-1B beeing succesfully launched.

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #58 on: 08/17/2014 07:33 pm »
And here it's a video of T-60s countdown

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #59 on: 08/17/2014 07:43 pm »
It has been said that the vehicle reach 2200m and a velocity of 838km/h. With a thrust of 4000kg-force in its single engine and an initial weight of 2800kg. (Pablo de León)

Offline baldusi

« Reply #60 on: 08/19/2014 11:34 pm »

Well, it has potentile, but I find it kind of disturbing that the rocket configuration is so much like an ICBM.  Could be they're being influenced by SpaceX, but still...
Why do you think it looks like an ICBM? RP-1/LOX isn't exactly optimum propellant for such a weapon. And the use of three engines means little in this sense. I rather see them having some growth margin there.
And the upper stage is a pressure fed hypergilic, hardly in like the turbopump powered upper stages used on most military vehicles. Basically, it has little resemblance, at least in my book.
The military project was much more weaponizable, IMHO..

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #61 on: 08/20/2014 08:24 pm »
Well, this a graphic of altitude vs. range of the test. With the scale in metres. This is the way we get informed in here, with fortuitous captures of vids.

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #62 on: 08/24/2014 12:39 am »
Diagram about past and future tests of Tronador II project. (In spanish)

Notice that at the end of first stage of tests, it is said "More Vex-1", according to what it has already been said that it could be up to 6 Vex-1 launches. (All depends of results of the tests)
This first stage of Vex-1 is being conducted in Pipinas (Punta Indio) And it's being testing navigation, flight control and guidance. But second stage will be conducted in Puerto Belgrano's launch pad, now under construction.
Notice that in the 2 stage of tests, the diagram says that will be tested the separation of rocket stages and coif.

Here there is the complete summary (in spanish): http://scripts.minplan.gob.ar/octopus/archivos.php?file=3046

Offline baldusi

« Reply #63 on: 08/25/2014 02:45 am »
Diagram about past and future tests of Tronador II project. (In spanish)

Notice that at the end of first stage of tests, it is said "More Vex-1", according to what it has already been said that it could be up to 6 Vex-1 launches. (All depends of results of the tests)
This first stage of Vex-1 is being conducted in Pipinas (Punta Indio) And it's being testing navigation, flight control and guidance. But second stage will be conducted in Puerto Belgrano's launch pad, now under construction.
Notice that in the 2 stage of tests, the diagram says that will be tested the separation of rocket stages and coif.

Here there is the complete summary (in spanish): http://scripts.minplan.gob.ar/octopus/archivos.php?file=3046
From the above mentioned presentation:
VEX-1: basically an underfilled second stage. Objective is to validate second stage propulsion and GNC.
VEX-5: A single engine of the first stage (30tnf, RP-1/LOX) custom first stage and the VEX-1 on top, plus a fairing. Objective is to validate first stage propulsion, staging and fairing separation.
Tronador II: Orbital vehicle with 250kg to SSO (500km). First launch will be a technical demonstrator.
Tronador III: Improved vesion with 750km payload. The image only shows a first stage increase in size. My guess is that first stage engines might get extra thrust.

Then they talk about how they are stating from Pipinas while they develop the integrated base in Puerto Belgrano. They are making the rocket factory, engine test stand, processing area and launch pad all in the same zone. They'll continue the testing from the new site as soon as its ready.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #64 on: 08/25/2014 03:49 pm »
Well, this a graphic of altitude vs. range of the test. With the scale in metres. This is the way we get informed in here, with fortuitous captures of vids.
BTW, the text says that they had a parachute to recover the vehicle. It's an analysis of how the graph is compatible with parachute deployment.

PD: Great info cdemczuk!

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #65 on: 08/25/2014 04:29 pm »
I was hoping you could explain better than me the graphics and figures I had posted! Greetings!
« Last Edit: 08/26/2014 12:47 am by cdemczuk »

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #66 on: 08/26/2014 12:38 am »
Just for the record, a short video of Vex-1B launch.

www.youtube.com/embed/VcJa_mTtAJQ?rel=0"

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #67 on: 08/27/2014 06:38 am »
Thanks cdemczuk. The exhaust seems to be a bit metal rich from the sparks coming out of the nozzle.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #68 on: 09/09/2014 04:15 am »
One of the mock up of the future facility for static fire test of 30tn engines.

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #69 on: 09/09/2014 08:50 pm »

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #71 on: 12/24/2014 04:34 am »
http://www.energypress.com.ar/index.php?r=noticias/verNoticia&q=76271
Ahora vendrá la prueba con el VEx-5. Culminada esa etapa, será el turno del modelo tecnológico y luego el operativo del Tronador II, de cara a septiembre de 2015.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #72 on: 12/25/2014 04:50 am »
Present plans for Vex5 are: Vex5a launch April 2015. Vex5b in June. Tronador 2 demonstrator December2015. But this dates might have delays

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #73 on: 02/09/2015 12:32 pm »
The launch schedule for this tests is really demanding. I believe certains delays are expected. Remember most of this is novel for local technological development, and their budget is not precisely unlimited.

Offline albatros68

« Reply #74 on: 02/16/2015 09:59 am »
NASA´s chief Charles Bolden visits this week Argentina´s Conae and Invap
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com.ar/2015/02/conae-y-nasa-firmaran-un-nuevo-acuerdo.html#more

Offline albatros68

« Reply #75 on: 02/16/2015 10:11 am »
Video describing Arsat and Vex/Tronador

It was shown at COPUOS 52th session (Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space)
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com.ar/2015/02/argentina-presente-en-la-52-sesiones-de.html#more

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #76 on: 02/16/2015 07:15 pm »
New details about the Tronador II:

- The launcher will be a 2-1/2 staged-vehicle: two of the three first stage engines will separate first, while the core continues (like early Atlas).
- The vehicle size has changed: the diameter is 2,5m for the entire vehicle, but the upper stage is now shorter (the whole vehicle is 27m long).

I'm attaching several renders made for a local forum by Rober Digiorge. Copyright is in the image.

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #77 on: 02/17/2015 01:13 am »
Great info! Could you attach the source or that forum you said?
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 01:14 am by cdemczuk »

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #78 on: 02/17/2015 01:51 am »
This table shows the next launch attempts for this year.
As you can see, there are schedule to be launched 3 experimental vehicles as much. (A bit ambicious for me)

The new experimental rockets are the VEX-5.
Unlike VEx-1 vehicles (VEx-1a and Vex-1b), VEx-5a and VEx-5b have an engine of 30tn of thrust, and VEx-5c is a two stages rocket.

The table shows that it's intended to be launched the first two vehicles from the same launch pad complex in Punta Indio, but VEx-5c is intended to be launched from the new and definitive Launch Pad complex now under construction.

As you can see the three VEX-5 vehicles are the three last experimental rockets to be launched before Tronador II.

Source: 52° Regular Session of the Subcommittee on Scientific and Technical Matters of the United Nations Committee on Peaceful Uses of Ultra-Terrestrial Space.
and http://machtres.com/
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 12:55 pm by cdemczuk »

Offline Soheil

• O_o
  • Tehran, I.R.IRAN
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #79 on: 02/17/2015 06:05 am »
Good luck ;)
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #81 on: 02/17/2015 01:28 pm »
Here is an image of a brochure delivered near the Punta Indio test's launch pad.

In the image you can see 5 rockets on the right, these are from left to right the VEx-1(a-b), VEx-5(a-b), VEx-5c, Tronador II (technological) and Tronador II (operative).

As it was said before, VEx-5a it's scheduled to be launched in April, VEx-5b in July and VEx-5c in November.

VEx-1(a-b): 1 stage, 1 engine of 3 or 4tn of thrust.
VEx-5(a-b): 1 stage, 1 engine of 30tn of thrust.
VEx-5c: 2 stages, 1 engine of 30tn and 1 engine of 3 or 4tn of thrust.
Tronador II: 2 and 1/2 stages, 3 engines of 30tn and 1 engine of 3 or 4tn of thrust.

Image: "Zona Militar" forum: http://www.zona-militar.com/foros/threads/proyecto-tronador-cohete-espacial.14493/
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 01:35 pm by cdemczuk »

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #82 on: 02/24/2015 02:56 am »
Charles Bolden, NASA's administrator, visited CONAE, INVAP and the UNLP, and said yesterday to a local journal the following words about Tronador's project:

"We had the opportunity to talk about the VEx, which it was passing trough a series of tests, and about Tronador, and they informed us about the progress they were accomplishing in both of them"

"It impressed me a lot. In particular that it is being done in colaboration with a university, where students have the opportunity to be part of the team which is building a launch vehicle. We don't do that very often in the U.S. It impacted me"

Source: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1770453-charles-bolden-los-humanos-podremos-encontrar-la-forma-de-sobrevivir-en-marte

Picture: Charles Bolden at the US embassy in Buenos Aires during the interview.
« Last Edit: 03/14/2015 09:56 pm by cdemczuk »

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #83 on: 06/15/2015 03:23 am »
Rumors are talking about a 28th July launch... Nothing confirmed yet.

Offline Soheil

• O_o
  • Tehran, I.R.IRAN
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #84 on: 06/15/2015 01:09 pm »

Which rocket ?
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #85 on: 06/15/2015 01:14 pm »

Which rocket ?
VEX-5A

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #86 on: 09/24/2015 10:24 am »

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #87 on: 10/05/2015 02:24 am »
Family solid fuel small LV from Argentina:
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2015/09/el-resurgir-del-fenix.html

Sirio III will be a 4-stage rocket with 10 kg LEO payload.
Águila IV will have the ability to orbit loads of 50 kg.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #90 on: 11/14/2015 12:28 am »
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2015/10/conae-con-presupuesto-de-1800-millones.html#more

Thanks Salo. SAOCOM 1A  is now scheduled for the end of 2016, Tronador II for the first half of 2017, SABIA-Mar A in 2018, SABIA-Mar B in 2019, the first two SARE satellites in 2018 and two more SARE satellites in 2019 with each SARE satellite being launched by a Tronador II. It wasn't totally clear, but it seems the VEx 5 launchers have been delayed to 2016.

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #91 on: 11/14/2015 01:14 pm »
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2015/10/conae-con-presupuesto-de-1800-millones.html#more

Thanks Salo. SAOCOM 1A  is now scheduled for the end of 2016, Tronador II for the first half of 2017, SABIA-Mar A in 2018, SABIA-Mar B in 2019, the first two SARE satellites in 2018 and two more SARE satellites in 2019 with each SARE satellite being launched by a Tronador II. It wasn't totally clear, but it seems the VEx 5 launchers have been delayed to 2016.

Tronador II has a window from half 2017 to 2018. I seriously believe it won't be ready until the later day. CONAE has always been over-optimistic about launch dates.

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #92 on: 11/14/2015 04:40 pm »
Beyond the political propaganda, here's a video of an engineer working on the 30tn engine testbed:

Offline kirovoleg

• Liked: 9
« Reply #93 on: 01/08/2016 04:22 pm »
According to this newspaper, VEX5-A is scheduled to launch by the end of February.

Source LaNacion (in spanish)
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1860408-lanzador-espacial-cuenta-regresiva-para-otro-prototipo

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #94 on: 01/08/2016 06:04 pm »
Here are some close-up images of the first and second stages of the VEX-5A. Credit goes to https://www.facebook.com/graficaadhesiva/posts/884081698312562

Offline cdemczuk

« Reply #95 on: 01/09/2016 12:47 am »
VEx-5A on launch pad.
(Currently is in horizontal position)

As it was said, launch will take place by the end of February.

I think they will take off the "Ministerio de Planificación" label before the launch because CONAE's situation within the new national government has been clarified. Now the space agency will be sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology ;)
« Last Edit: 01/09/2016 01:06 am by cdemczuk »

Offline XP67_Moonbat

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #96 on: 02/17/2016 04:33 am »
Can't wait to see it fly.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #97 on: 03/15/2016 10:51 pm »
VEx-5A sheduled in May 2016.
VEx-5B - 2017.
VEx-5С - 2019.
Tronador II - 2020.

http://www.perfil.com/ciencia/Planean-mas-pruebas-para-el-lanzador-de-satelites-argentino--20160312-0062.html
« Last Edit: 03/15/2016 11:09 pm by Salo »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #99 on: 06/08/2016 05:05 am »
Article says VEX 5A launching between July and August.
« Last Edit: 06/08/2016 05:05 am by Steven Pietrobon »

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #100 on: 06/11/2016 07:19 pm »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #101 on: 06/13/2016 06:01 am »
Looks like they are building the launch control centre at an old cement factory called Punta Indio. Punta Indio also has a test stand (this might be a launch complex as well). Launch complex is at Bahia Blanca. Some Tronador II information.

Height: 27.8 m
Diameter: 2.5 m
Launch Mass: 64 t
Payload: 250 kg

The video shows launch of either VEx 1A or VEx 1B (probably 1B, since that was successful). An out of date schedule is shown. A vehicle is shown being assembled. This is probably VEx 5A.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2016 06:05 am by Steven Pietrobon »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #102 on: 06/13/2016 03:53 pm »
Some highlights from the video:
They have decided to move all manufacturing and testing to Punta Indio, with a simple HIF at Puerto Belgrano.
They will use structural tanks with friction stir welding for the Tronador II fuselage.
The engine test benches will also be housed in Punta Indio.
They will have two sites, actually. One for the test launches of the VEX, and another for the factory.
They will develop their own composite pressure vessels (400Bar) for the pressurizers. Also development of spherical tanks.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #103 on: 11/22/2016 10:05 pm »
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2016/11/conae-prepara-el-lanzamiento-del-vex-5a.html
Google translate:
In the absence of climatic inconveniences in the Samborombón Bay area, the launch of the VEX-5A Experimental Vehicle is scheduled to take place from 22 to 24 November.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #104 on: 11/22/2016 10:11 pm »

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #105 on: 11/22/2016 10:44 pm »
The VEX 5-A rocket test of the Tronador II space project was suspended for "technical" reasons only a few minutes before launch from the Punta Indio space base, the National Space Activities Commission reported.
http://www.clarin.com/politica/Cohete-VEX-suspendieron-minutos-lanzamiento_0_1691830961.html

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #106 on: 11/25/2016 09:58 pm »
Julio C.Torres @JCT_3

#CoheteTronador  El Vex5a seria lanzado en los próximos días después de suspenderse el lanzamiento programado para el día d ayer #PuntaIndio

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #107 on: 11/26/2016 05:51 am »
For those of us who don't understand Spanish.

"#CoheteTronador el Vex5a would be released in the coming days after suspending the launch scheduled for yesterday #PuntaIndio"

Offline albatros68

« Reply #108 on: 11/27/2016 07:22 pm »
would be released
Steven: I guess "would be launched" fits better to "seria lanzado"

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #109 on: 11/29/2016 08:11 pm »
would be released
Steven: I guess "would be launched" fits better to "seria lanzado"
yes. most likely

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #110 on: 11/29/2016 09:00 pm »
The third prototype of the Tronador, on Wednesday, returning to the Indian Point Base after the suspension of the launch. The CONAE would be to try again before Christmas.
http://www.elcolonodigital.com.ar/article/fracaso-un-tercer-lanzamiento-del-cohete/

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #112 on: 12/23/2016 09:44 pm »
y   ................... que paso?

The launcher that would be released has not been released.

Offline albatros68

« Reply #113 on: 12/23/2016 10:02 pm »
This Tronador project has always moved slowly. And the present government seems to have limited the funds available for the local space related activities.
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com.ar/2016/12/menor-inversion-en-el-sector-espacial.html#more

Offline albatros68

« Reply #114 on: 04/21/2017 09:00 pm »
Vex5a failed. At least Argentina´s first kerolox engine was able to work for some seconds of flight
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com.ar/2017/04/fallido-lanzamiento-del-vex-5a.html#more

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #115 on: 04/23/2017 04:29 am »
Bing Translation.

"April 20, 2017, being approximately 18:00 hs, was the experimental VEX5A vehicle testing, the line of development of the satellite launcher national TII-TIII.

The behavior of all subsystems of flight and ground segments were 100% in accordance with the design, from ignition to eight seconds.

Thus the takeoff and subsequent period of flight were nominal. For reasons still under analysis within six seconds of flight was interrupted the supply of propellant to the engine."

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #116 on: 04/25/2017 09:26 am »

« Last Edit: 04/25/2017 09:27 am by Jarnis »

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
« Reply #117 on: 04/28/2017 06:19 pm »
Another video but with a closeup at the beginning.

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #118 on: 04/28/2017 06:35 pm »
Well, foo ... hate to see that happen.  Hope the pad isn't badly damaged, and that they find & fix the problem quickly.  Best wishes for the next one!

Offline JH

• Liked: 281
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #119 on: 05/04/2017 01:03 am »
According to this site it didn't have much propellant in it at launch, and almost all of it was RP-1 and LOX: http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/Rest_World/Tronador-LSA/Description/Frame.htm.

That's 0.5% of what the Falcon 9 that blew up on the pad had in it, for reference.
« Last Edit: 05/04/2017 01:09 am by JH »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #120 on: 05/31/2017 12:19 am »
Apparently, there was a fuel leak during fueling operations. It generated a fire in the aft section that for some cause to determine, closed the propellant supply valves to the engine.

http://www.conae.gov.ar/index.php/espanol/2017/920-analisis-del-evento-en-la-prueba-del-vex5a

Offline albatros68

« Reply #121 on: 01/24/2018 08:54 pm »

Offline Tywin

« Reply #122 on: 05/07/2018 05:47 pm »
Two important new about the progress in the space program of Argentina:

http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com.ar/2018/03/avanzan-las-obras-de-la-estacion.html

They approve the satellite SabiaMar, very important mission scientific and the collaboration with Brazil  :D

http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2018/04/aprueban-la-revision-critica-de-diseno.html
The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #123 on: 06/11/2018 09:23 pm »
http://latamsatelital.com/veng-presupuesto-2018/
Google translate:
Current situation of the company

Veng SA carries out for the CONAE the development of the prototype of Launcher "Tronador II / III" included in the ISCUL Program (Satellite Injector for Light Useful Loads).

Said prototype is designed to have the capacity to place a satellite payload of between two hundred and fifty kilograms (250 kg) and one thousand kilograms (1000 Kg) in a polar orbit between six hundred kilometers (600 km) and seven hundred kilometers (700 km) high. ) of weight. To that end, liquid propellant engines are developed with ablative and regenerative combustion chamber and fuels and liquid comburents for these engines.

The structure of the launcher prototype, the avionics and the navigation, guidance and control systems of the launcher are also developed. For the purpose of qualifying the developed components, a flight prototype design and test plan is carried out, until arriving at a first prototype with satellite capacity, called "Tronador III Tecnológico", whose first test is scheduled for the end of 2019 .

The project Tronador II / III emerges as a continuity and a fusion of both projects, which allows to reuse to the maximum the engineering of the first in line with the achievement of the second, where increasing the burning times in the second stage can be achieved to inject more load useful in orbit with the same engineering. These two launcher models cover all the needs derived from the launches of future satellite missions developed with the concept of "segmented architecture", on the basis of which the satellite missions of the SARE series of CONAE are planned.

Source: Ministry of Finance

Offline Tywin

« Reply #124 on: 10/08/2018 08:00 am »
Great work by CONAE and Argentinian  8)

Beautiful this video about the mission of Conae  :D sorry is in Spanish...

Web about the SAOCOM...

http://saocom.invap.com.ar/

https://twitter.com/CONAE_Oficial/status/1049182000165412869

This is one step for the the space era of the Argentinian  8)

https://spacenews.com/spacex-launches-argentine-satellite-posts-first-ground-landing-on-west-coast/

[zubenelgenubi: Attach images to post.  Do not embed them.]
« Last Edit: 07/04/2020 05:05 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Tywin

« Reply #125 on: 10/09/2018 06:42 pm »
I have a very important news, of a very good source from Argentinian...The next year, when they finish the development of Saocom B, they go to release information about the launcher Tronador III, they priorize the development of this rocket, before the 2...they have the development very advanced, much more that what we can imagine  :o

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tronador_III

If I a have other new information about this, I will share...look up any news about this, this could be a enormous accomplish from Conae and Argentina  8) ...and for the region...

Offline albatros68

« Reply #126 on: 05/15/2019 11:59 am »
A small startup, including CTA from La Plata University (part of the Tronador project), proposes  a small launcher. It would be hypergolic using hydrogen peroxide.
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2019/05/lia-aerospace-la-nueva-startup-local.html
http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2019/05/el-cta-trabaja-en-el-desarrollo-de-un.html

Offline albatros68

« Reply #127 on: 07/03/2020 04:23 pm »
« Last Edit: 07/04/2020 04:13 am by gongora »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #128 on: 07/15/2020 01:30 am »
https://twitter.com/CONAE_Oficial/status/1283175692029636608
Workshop: Access to Space, from design to operation of a satellite launcher Wednesday 07/15 16:00  Invited by @mincytcordoba to the CyT Cycle in Space, we present about the challenges of the launching project Tronador II / II
Registrations: https://bit.ly/Inscripciones_CyTenelEspacio

Offline albatros68

« Reply #129 on: 07/16/2020 04:47 pm »
A smaller and cheaper vehicle is described, past one hour in video. Tronador 3 seems distant in the future

Offline otter

• Belarus
  • Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #130 on: 11/15/2020 07:07 am »
http://www.andigital.com.ar/municipios/item/90938-planifican-la-reactivacion-del-polo-espacial-punta-indio

New government plans to increase CONAE's budget, maybe launcher(s) development will get some boost.

Offline albatros68

« Reply #131 on: 01/26/2021 03:43 pm »
A private venture https://twitter.com/LiaAerospace to design an hydrogen peroxide/Lox powered small sat vehicle, has launched its first tiny engine test
https://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2021/01/lia-aerospace-lanzo-con-exito-el-vector.html

Offline Yiosie

• Liked: 635
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #132 on: 11/22/2021 09:24 pm »
Finally, some news on Tronador II/III and VEx development:

Argentina resumes the project of the national launcher Tronador II/III [dated Nov. 4]

Google translate (bolds mine):

Minister Daniel Filmus announced that in 2022 4,500 million pesos will be allocated to relaunch CONAE's Access to Space program, which includes the manufacture of vehicles to place satellites weighing up to 750 kilos in orbit, in addition to the associated auxiliary infrastructure and the launch bases.

Within the framework of the reactivation of strategic projects, the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation of the Nation (MINCyT) relaunched the Access to Space program carried out by the National Commission for Space Activities (CONAE), which includes the development of vehicles experimental VExs and Tronador II/III launchers, as well as associated auxiliary infrastructure and launch bases. There is a planned investment of about 4,500 million pesos in 2022.

The announcement was made at the facilities of CONAE's Punta Indio Space Center (CEPI), located in the town of Pipinas, province of Buenos Aires, by Minister Daniel Filmus and CONAE's executive and technical director, Raúl Kulichevsky.

<snip>

The Tronador II/III is a two-stage launcher, approximately 28 meters long and 2.5 meters in diameter, with a thrust of about 120 tons at takeoff. "The development of this project will allow Argentina to complete the domain of space technology necessary to put its own satellites, designed and manufactured in the country, into orbit, and to be able to offer this service to other countries in the region and the world," Kulichevsky said. Currently only 10 countries dominate the entire space cycle.

<snip>

In the first stage, the reactivation of the Access to Space program will allow progress in the development of the experimental vehicles VEx 5 and VEx 6, to consolidate the necessary technologies required by the Tronador II/III projects, such as avionics, propulsion systems and structures. It is estimated that the first flight of these prototypes could take place at the end of 2023. Then the Tronador II-A is planned to be carried out with the aim of satellite payloads of up to 250 kilos at 600 kilometers high. With the following launchers, the aim is to increase the payload to reach 500 kilos with the Tronador II-B, and 750 kilos with the Tronador III.

With regard to launch bases, it is planned to recover the necessary infrastructure for the development, manufacture, integration, testing and subsequent launch of experimental VEx vehicles from the facilities of La Capetina, which are part of CEPI. In the future, it is also planned to develop the Manuel Belgrano Space Center (CEMB), in the south of the province of Buenos Aires, where the Launch Center for the VEx 6 vehicle and the Tronador II/III launchers will be located.

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #133 on: 11/22/2021 10:34 pm »
This is around 45 million USD, in layman terms

Offline albatros68

« Reply #134 on: 03/28/2022 04:52 pm »
Salo said:
"Tronador II - Late 2023"
From a Chief minister report to the Senate: in 2023 second semester  a Vex 5b would be tested. Unlike the failed Vex 5a which had an hypergolic second stage this time it would use kerolox on both stages.

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #135 on: 03/28/2022 04:53 pm »
Salo said:
"Tronador II - Late 2023"
From a Chief minister report to the Senate: in 2023 second semester  a Vex 5b would be tested. Unlike the failed Vex 5a which had an hypergolic second stage this time it would use kerolox on both stages.

Kerolox? Well, that's a nice and welcomed upgrade!

Offline Tywin

Offline lbiderman

• Mars Society Argentina
« Reply #137 on: 06/28/2022 10:54 pm »
https://twitter.com/AgenciaTelam/status/1539583479465361409

Test of swirl injector to check its viability!
Officially, the idea is to launch the first limited prototype (called Tronador II-70) end of 2023. Capability of this prototype is 70kg to a low polar orbit (probably around 400km).

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #138 on: 06/29/2022 06:21 am »
Tweet translation:

"🛰 The development of the Tronador launcher advances, which will allow satellites to be put into orbit from Argentine soil

🚀 At the Teófilo Tabanera Space Center in @CONAE_Oficial a test was carried out that is part of a new series of engines"

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1840
  • Likes Given: 1299
« Reply #139 on: 11/01/2023 02:08 pm »
The current plan is:

Tronador II-70, 150 km suborbital launch in early 2026
Tronador II-150, 400 km suborbital launch
Tronador II-250, orbital launch in 2029

A two-stage kerolox launcher for 750 kg payload to a 600 km orbit.

https://agencia.unq.edu.ar/?p=12795
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography