Author Topic: STS-134: SRB Recovery Viewing  (Read 8000 times)

Offline emerrill

• Novi, MI
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
STS-134: SRB Recovery Viewing
« on: 05/17/2011 08:26 PM »
Any news on when the SRB ships are headed back in? Heard 8p today, but accuracy of that is unknow.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: STS-134: SRB Recovery Viewing
« Reply #1 on: 05/17/2011 08:30 PM »
Presser just mentioned that they are coming in tonight, so that rumor is probably close.

Offline emerrill

• Novi, MI
« Reply #2 on: 05/17/2011 08:33 PM »
Presser just mentioned that they are coming in tonight, so that rumor is probably close.

Thanks for the update.

Oh, and hello from a fellow Michigander

Offline stuart_wildcat

• Space Junkie
  • Davenport, FL
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 05/17/2011 09:21 PM »
Any news on when the SRB ships are headed back in? Heard 8p today, but accuracy of that is unknow.

Thanks for starting the thread.  Any more details would be helpful since I'm basically sitting at home not getting any work done wondering if we should head out there to try and see the SRBs.

Also, for anyone that has seen them before any idea how long they stay in the locks?  I realize that might depend on when in the day they show up but it would be good to know how much of a target window we've got to see them.  I don't think anyone will argue shuttle launches to the ISS are harder since the target window is 5-10 minutes...

Offline emerrill

• Novi, MI
« Reply #4 on: 05/17/2011 09:23 PM »
Each is in the lock for 15-20 min.

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 459
  • Likes Given: 3675
« Reply #5 on: 05/17/2011 10:13 PM »

Thanks for starting the thread.  Any more details would be helpful since I'm basically sitting at home not getting any work done wondering if we should head out there to try and see the SRBs.

Also, for anyone that has seen them before any idea how long they stay in the locks?  I realize that might depend on when in the day they show up but it would be good to know how much of a target window we've got to see them.  I don't think anyone will argue shuttle launches to the ISS are harder since the target window is 5-10 minutes...

For STS-132 & STS-133, I really wanted to see (and photograph) them being towed, but alas I was too distracted and only got them going through the locks.

The ships come through Jetty park first, then tie up for the night and have the boosters tied up to the sides of the ships. They head through EARLY in the morning through the locks.

If they haven't arrived yet, seeing them towed is best (imo).

In the morning, you can get some shots while they come towards the locks, then as the first passes under the bridge (that goes across to CCAFS), get in the car and drive to the lock and get more photos there (if the gates aren't locked - they were for STS-133). Then go back and get the other ship coming through.

SO maybe leave NOW!! and see what Jetty Park holds for you  ;)
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 693
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #6 on: 05/17/2011 10:27 PM »
Liberty Star is showing up on marinetraffic.com - about 6 miles from the entrance to Port Canaveral.

Edit: speed shown as 5 knots.
« Last Edit: 05/17/2011 10:31 PM by AnalogMan »

Offline emerrill

• Novi, MI
« Reply #7 on: 05/17/2011 11:22 PM »
They are 2 miles out now. Mooring in the middle basin overnight.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10374
  • Likes Given: 316
« Reply #8 on: 05/18/2011 12:37 AM »
I have some pics will post later

Offline emerrill

• Novi, MI
« Reply #9 on: 05/18/2011 12:53 AM »
I have some pics will post later

Same here.

Both are moored up for the night.

Offline stuart_wildcat

• Space Junkie
  • Davenport, FL
« Reply #10 on: 05/19/2011 05:15 AM »

For STS-132 & STS-133, I really wanted to see (and photograph) them being towed, but alas I was too distracted and only got them going through the locks.

The ships come through Jetty park first, then tie up for the night and have the boosters tied up to the sides of the ships. They head through EARLY in the morning through the locks.

If they haven't arrived yet, seeing them towed is best (imo).

In the morning, you can get some shots while they come towards the locks, then as the first passes under the bridge (that goes across to CCAFS), get in the car and drive to the lock and get more photos there (if the gates aren't locked - they were for STS-133). Then go back and get the other ship coming through.

SO maybe leave NOW!! and see what Jetty Park holds for you  ;)

Many thanks for this info!  I had scoped out where a McDs was to get online and check marinetraffic.com.  Saw the first was in range and then saw this post and looked quick to find out where Jetty Park was.

If I didn't have this post I would have stupidly gone over to the locks and not seen anything.  As it was we saw both pass but the first was already mostly past by the time we got there because for some reason I waited for the world's slowest McDs cashier to order food we didn't eat for a while anyway.

Oh well, seeing them was a cool new experience.

Some photos although they are low light from a smart phone.  Love the sunset behind the first ship though.

Offline stuart_wildcat

• Space Junkie
  • Davenport, FL
« Reply #11 on: 05/19/2011 05:19 AM »

So do they always come into Port Canaveral in the evening, tie up for the night then go through the locks the next morning?  As we were over there I realized they may need to make sure they are not going to interfere with cruise ship traffic.

I assume this might also depend on time of day of the launch but since Atlantis looks to have a similar launch time I'm guessing the SRB recovery timeline should be similar also.

If our families come out for Atlantis we want to add the SRB ships to the schedule since that was cool to see.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #12 on: 05/19/2011 11:21 AM »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #13 on: 05/19/2011 11:22 AM »

Online Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 221
  • Likes Given: 480
« Reply #14 on: 05/19/2011 03:20 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, Jim!
I like the charring, reminds me of the force that came out of these...

Offline JLicklider

• Orlando, FL
« Reply #16 on: 05/26/2011 12:49 AM »
Does anyone have the data for each SRB segment? ie. past flight assignments, date manufactured, etc.  I saw in the 134 Press Kit this set is BI-145, but not details about the individual segments. And there are a couple presentation in L2 about the SRBs but not the info Im looking for.

joey
"Put 'Lucky' on my tombstone, but not too soon." -Michael Collins

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1

Offline JLicklider

• Orlando, FL
"Put 'Lucky' on my tombstone, but not too soon." -Michael Collins

Tags: