Author Topic: STS-134: Pad Flow Latest (APU/LCA Troubleshooting to S0007)  (Read 120071 times)

Offline asmolenski

• Chicago
    • Aspiring Pilots
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-134: Pad Flow Latest (APU/LCA Troubleshooting to S0007)
« Reply #20 on: 05/02/2011 08:16 PM »
What's the final day of the window that will 'open' post Atlas launch?

Also, how would delays with Atlas effect STS134? Would it be a day for day slip (assuming 5/10 or 5/11 stay NET).

Offline Space Pete

Launch time for the 10th: 11:21 AM EDT / 3:21 PM GMT.

Launch time for the 11th: 10:58:29 AM EDT / 2:58:29 PM GMT.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 3224
  • Likes Given: 446
« Reply #22 on: 05/02/2011 09:11 PM »

Also, how would delays with Atlas effect STS134? Would it be a day for day slip (assuming 5/10 or 5/11 stay NET).

Question One: Not sure. The window has changed so many times in the last few weeks that it's hard to say where we stand. We're looking into it; that's all I can say at this point. 

Second question: Atlas has the range for May 6 and May 7. If they launch on May 7, the earliest Endeavour COULD launch from a Range perspective would be May 9. So, with a NET target of May 10 for Endeavour, the latest Atlas could launch BEFORE impacting Endeavour on the 10th would be Sunday, May 8.

Of course, that assumes Endeavour maintains a NET May 10 target.
« Last Edit: 05/02/2011 09:13 PM by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline asmolenski

• Chicago
    • Aspiring Pilots
« Reply #23 on: 05/02/2011 09:22 PM »

Question One: Not sure. The window has changed so many times in the last few weeks that it's hard to say where we stand. We're looking into it; that's all I can say at this point. 

Second question: Atlas has the range for May 6 and May 7. If they launch on May 7, the earliest Endeavour COULD launch from a Range perspective would be May 9. So, with a NET target of May 10 for Endeavour, the latest Atlas could launch BEFORE impacting Endeavour on the 10th would be Sunday, May 8.

Of course, that assumes Endeavour maintains a NET May 10 target.

Thanks! That's why I asked the first question! I've seen so many different dates thrown around, wasn't sure if there was something set in stone. 

Offline PahTo

• Seattle
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 442
« Reply #24 on: 05/02/2011 09:49 PM »

Good stuff, All!

Chris, I was half-joking with my "vote" for launch NET of May 11th in the scrub thread because there are so many variables in play.  Not the least of which is the fact MMT might decide to go with a nominal 14 day mission (14+0) or some variance to avoid DDO (and thus no photo op anyway).  I'm just glad they haven't ruled out a mission timeline that includes DDO (24S departure).
I suppose a launch on May 12th would mean DDO for either a 14 or 16 day mission, but of course that assumes an on-time departure for 24S.  Too many variables att, but always fun to consider what might be!

Online ChrisGebhardt

• Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #25 on: 05/02/2011 09:56 PM »

Good stuff, All!

Chris, I was half-joking with my "vote" for launch NET of May 11th in the scrub thread because there are so many variables in play.  Not the least of which is the fact MMT might decide to go with a nominal 14 day mission (14+0) or some variance to avoid DDO (and thus no photo op anyway).  I'm just glad they haven't ruled out a mission timeline that includes DDO (24S departure).
I suppose a launch on May 12th would mean DDO for either a 14 or 16 day mission, but of course that assumes an on-time departure for 24S.  Too many variables att, but always fun to consider what might be!

Cool. And I completely understand. And I wasn't upset/mad with you. I was just trying to curb a "Oh, man, they're really considering this!" explosion on the thread when all that was said was, "we're not excluding any option right now.

Online Chris Bergin

Written the article, just need to work out which images to use. About 30 mins max.

Online Chris Bergin

By the way, our friends at NASATech took a pano of what we think shows AV Bay 5 just inside the right Aft Fuselage Access Hatch:

http://nasatech.net/EndeavourT1Hatch110113

It's cool regardless!

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1297
  • Likes Given: 574
« Reply #28 on: 05/02/2011 10:12 PM »
NASA TV Video File item running...

ITEM 1 - TECHNICIANS TEST SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR POWER BOX ON
NASA KENNEDY SPACE CENTER'S LAUNCH PAD 39A - KSC (NEW)

Technicians on NASA Kennedy Space Center's Launch Pad 39A tested a power distribution box, called the Load Control Assembly 2 (LCA-2), and associated wiring inside the aft compartment of space shuttle Endeavour on May 2. Teams are narrowing in on the likely source of what caused heaters on a fuel line for Endeavour's auxiliary power unit-1 (APU-1) to fail April 29, which caused a scrub for the STS-134 mission's first launch attempt. The LCA-2 feeds power to the APU-1 fuel line heaters.

Technicians also are preparing to install a new LCA-2. Video shows the control box being prepared. Teams are working plans to replace the box or any faulty associated hardware before Endeavour?s next launch attempt is scheduled.

TRT: 5:50
Super: NASA

Attached screengrab is opening up the panel on AV Bay 5 to access Aft LCA-2.
« Last Edit: 05/02/2011 10:22 PM by psloss »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 458
  • Likes Given: 3666
« Reply #29 on: 05/02/2011 10:21 PM »
By the way, our friends at NASATech took a pano of what we think shows AV Bay 5 just inside the right Aft Fuselage Access Hatch:

It's cool regardless!

Oh baby! WOW! Was hoping to see one here!

(now if they could only get this same photo but INSIDE of her avionics bay)  ;)
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline psloss

« Reply #30 on: 05/02/2011 10:33 PM »

It's cool regardless!
No doubt...the NASA TV video makes it easy to spot in the pano.  On the pad, this is rotated 90-degrees counterclockwise.
« Last Edit: 05/02/2011 10:34 PM by psloss »

Online Chris Bergin

Oh and by the way, NASA's since officially released they are moving to NET May 10.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 458
  • Likes Given: 3666
« Reply #33 on: 05/02/2011 11:11 PM »

It's cool regardless!
No doubt...the NASA TV video makes it easy to spot in the pano.  On the pad, this is rotated 90-degrees counterclockwise.

Yeah, I'm a bit slow today. I just realized from the stairs that this was when the Orbiter was horizontal, and the filename proves it as well: it was made in the OPF.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
« Reply #34 on: 05/02/2011 11:53 PM »
Oh and by the way, NASA's since officially released they are moving to NET May 10.

I hope they can launch before the 13th as this is when I will have to leave. It would really bug me having stayed here 2 weeks without seeing them off to the ISS.

Fingers crossed... and sending prayers to the Gods of Space Flight.

:-)
For once you have tasted Concorde you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde

Online Chris Bergin

Another large set of updates in L2. Main notes of interest are that the failed LCA (ALCA-2) has been removed from Endeavour overnight after a several hour operation, but notable also revealed cold plate issues which may also require repair.

Might write another article or update the current one, expecting there's more to come.

Offline lyons123

« Reply #36 on: 05/03/2011 01:08 PM »
Hi.  First time posting on this site, but I view it often and find the info very, very helpful.  Can anyone tell me how many possible launch days there are beginning w/the NET date of May 10?  Thanks so much.

Online ChrisGebhardt

• Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #37 on: 05/03/2011 01:29 PM »
Hi.  First time posting on this site, but I view it often and find the info very, very helpful.  Can anyone tell me how many possible launch days there are beginning w/the NET date of May 10?  Thanks so much.

Basic answer: no one seems to be sure of that at this time. A lot depends on the Russian schedule and desired mission duration for Endeavour's STS-134 flight. The only thing NASA has said is that they are "keeping their options open."
« Last Edit: 05/03/2011 01:31 PM by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline psloss

« Reply #38 on: 05/03/2011 04:04 PM »
New video file item on removal of the LCA box running now...
« Last Edit: 05/03/2011 04:06 PM by psloss »

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #39 on: 05/03/2011 04:22 PM »
Photos of LCA-1 removal work have been posted on KSC Media Gallery.
http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm?cat=215

Photo of removed replacement Load Control Assembly (LCA) attached.

Edit: correction (thanks psloss)
« Last Edit: 05/03/2011 04:31 PM by AnalogMan »

Tags: