Author Topic: LIVE: STS-133 Flight Days 8/9 - PMM Outfitting, Off Duty, President, Transfers  (Read 84074 times)

Online Chris Bergin

This looks like the CDRA.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Commander Kelly getting physical with it. I wonder who'll win? ;)

Yep, he won :)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Good work on the earlier reboost. No need for IMU Star of Opportunity align.

Online Chris Bergin

FD Brian Lunney and CAPCOM Steve Robinson in the Shuttle FCR.

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
looks like an alien in the airlock
One Percent for Space!!!

Online Chris Bergin

76 percent complete on transfers as of this morning.

Online Chris Bergin

4:03 pm Central for the phone call from the President.

Online Chris Bergin

Online Chris Bergin

MSNBC - going to be live it seems!

Eric shows his skills counting to 10 :D
« Last Edit: 03/03/2011 02:42 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

Yep, this sounds live.

Notes Nicole's hair in micro G.

Nicole: I try to keep mine refined. Fun to let it flop around, but it'll get you into trouble with velcro.

About Discovery's mileage.

Mike: Discovery's at the top of her game and viciously defended by her ground crew and she's pristine (nice one Mike!!)

Eric - she's a great machine, to be she looks brand new. The KSC team maintain her as a perfect vehicle. Bitter sweet moment when we put her on deck at KSC.

Very, very good :)
« Last Edit: 03/03/2011 02:42 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

WXIA TV

Fluffy stuff about wanting to be an astro. Sounds like Eric's local station.

Eric: I really enjoy being a fighter pilot. I flew F4 and F15C.

Last flight for Discovery.

Eric: We're all honored and privilaged to fly Discovery on her final mission. She's a great machine.

On the future:

Eric: If I'm lucky enough I'll get to pilot another vehicle. Test pilots should still go into the astro program. Every shuttle flight is a test flight, so the new vehicles will be too.

Benefits of the space program.

Eric: All sorts of techs come out of the program. The ISS is a national facility. The small computers and miniturization all came through the space program.

What's Eric like to work with?

Mike: We have a crew of six amature comedians, but two stick out and Eric is one of them. He has a teachers hand and if he can take a doctor like me to fly supersonic jets....he's always all over the flight plan.

Nicole: We were part of the same astro class. We were called the Bugs and we've spent a long time training together. It's a real joy to fly with people like Eric. Flying with Eric both in plans and shuttles has been a real joy. Out of nowhere he'll make you crack up.

About speaking to the President.

Eric: Expect he'll talk about the path forward after shuttle.

That was good too.

Online Chris Bergin

Fox News radio:

How's the mission going so far.

Mike: Mission has been going great. We're on FD8 - a lot of the hard stuff is behind us. Working on transfers.

On Discovery.

Eric: She is has a lot of miles left in her, but this is the time to carry out the plan from five years ago. It's about time to move on to the future vehicle.

How is she performing?

Eric: She looks brand new, she looks like she's on her first flight. Testiment to the ground crew.

Nicole on the size of the ISS: It's much bigger. Cupola was something I was looking forward too. It's a positive addition and provides us opportunities to do robotics and appreciate our beautiful planet.

Mike on Cupola.

Mike: We're all wired to appreciate beauty. You can be ovewhelmed at the planet. The view is absolutely magnificant. Also really helps us with robotics, to be able to see payloads directly.

Discovery again, for all three.

Nicole: Eric said it very correctly. It really is an honor and privilage to fly with Discovery at any time, but this final flight stands out. It's a time to celebrate her fine history. Done everything from deloying satellites, orbiting lab and contributing to the flights for the ISS. When we walk away from her on the runway there will be tears. I worked with her at KSC and it was a real privilage.

Mike: There's been lots of ships of Discovery, a rich legacy in the name Discovery. To be able to take the final flight of this Discovery is a real privilage. She's set the goals high for the next Discovery.

Eric: For me after we do the walkaround there will be a tear come to the eye, one of pride. The people behind the ships that make the difference, and they are the ones which make Discovery a great machine.

Awesome comments!

Online Chris Bergin

Three for three on very good interviews! Worth watching John 44's video when he gets it up as some of those comments about Discovery were great.

Will have to use some of those :)

Offline tminus9

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 1
WXIA TV

Fluffy stuff about wanting to be an astro. Sounds like Eric's local station.

Yes, WXIA is the NBC affiliate in Atlanta, Georgia, where he grew up. He also got a Master's degree from Georgia Tech, also in Atlanta.

Online Chris Bergin

Boosters! Nuff said ;)

Online Chris Bergin

"There's something stuck in your hair" :D

Online Chris Bergin

Heading into video file soon.

Will use that to write an article - but I think we'll do STS-134 today after two accidents in the VAB.
« Last Edit: 03/03/2011 03:49 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

Potential to draw a smiley face on the EMU hood? I'd say so ;)
« Last Edit: 03/03/2011 03:51 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 236
That or hang a "Sleeping - Do Not Disturb" sign. :D
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Online Chris Bergin

SRB videos.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography