Author Topic: STS-135 Patch Designs  (Read 24400 times)

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-135 Patch Designs
« Reply #20 on: 06/15/2011 06:21 PM »
Well, we're not on the ISS, but we made it into the shuttle FCR thanks to one of the EVA controllers!
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline barry golden

• Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: 06/20/2011 09:54 AM »
you guys really have done a great job with the patches. I am working on an addon the "Orbiter" that will be titled the lost missions on 1986 where those missions could be flown and also the west coast DOD missions so if you have somw ideas for mission patches drop me and e-mail golden-barry@hotmail.com

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #23 on: 06/20/2011 01:19 PM »
you guys really have done a great job with the patches. I am working on an addon the "Orbiter" that will be titled the lost missions on 1986 where those missions could be flown and also the west coast DOD missions so if you have somw ideas for mission patches drop me and e-mail golden-barry@hotmail.com
We can certainly take a look at doing this, we have a bit on our plate at the moment, but after the 135 mission is over, we most likely can take this project on.  Email me more details of what you'd like to do.  astrobrian@maxqent.com

Offline barry golden

« Reply #24 on: 06/22/2011 04:54 AM »
  Hey Guys

the Max Q patch is one of the best I've seen in the whole shuttle program. Have you done any others on the early shuttle flights

Barry

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
« Reply #25 on: 06/22/2011 01:16 PM »
  Hey Guys

the Max Q patch is one of the best I've seen in the whole shuttle program. Have you done any others on the early shuttle flights

Barry

Barry, we have not done any others, this one was done as a submission to try to be the patch, rather than making an alternate.

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2348
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #26 on: 06/22/2011 05:53 PM »

For some missions there are (were) already mission patches so there is no need to create them...see my website: www.spacepatches.nl

or:

http://www.spacepatches.nl/sts_mis/STS61E.html

http://www.spacepatches.nl/sts_mis/STS61F.html

http://www.spacepatches.nl/sts_mis/STS61G.html

http://www.spacepatches.nl/sts_mis/STS62A.html

http://www.spacepatches.nl/sts_mis/STS61H.html
« Last Edit: 06/22/2011 05:54 PM by jacqmans »

Offline barry golden

« Reply #27 on: 06/24/2011 12:42 PM »
I had seen your site and really great job with that. your right these are about half of the flight NASA had planned for 1986 and I'm sure that some of the flights after STS 126 were also planned for 1986 were flown with some crew changes .

I did love the site Thanks

Barry

Offline Melroy Fan

• Peoria, Arizona
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #28 on: 07/19/2011 01:11 AM »
Wanted to bump this thread since I received my IDIC patch today.

Holy smokes! The folks at Max-Q absolutely outdid themselves. It is a beautiful patch. Looks even better in person than it does in the photos.

As I mentioned to Nathan in a PM, I seriously hope Max-Q will continue their patch submissions for Expedition crews.

I'd highly recommend purchasing one of the 135 IDIC patches if they do another run. I don't think anyone would be disappointed.

Many thanks to all of the talented folks at Max-Q for everything you do.  :)

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 07/19/2011 03:47 PM »
From Collect Space:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000859.html

On Monday (July 18), the day before the STS-135 crew departed the International Space Station, cosmonaut Sergei Volkov presented each of Atlantis' astronauts with an embroidered mission patch and what looked to be the same design in either printed or silk-screened form.

Although video of Volkov's patch presentation was downlinked (it preceded the crew's traditional addition of the STS-135 insignia to the Unity node's and Quest airlock's walls), the footage was without audio (space to ground and mission commentary was playing over it), so whatever Volkov said about the patch wasn't heard over NASA Television.

------------

To add, this patch was designed and made by Spacepatches.nl, and was brought up with Soyuz TMA-02M to ISS, Sergei Volkov did that for us, we want to thank him and Roscosmos for it.

Offline Jester

• NSF Night Flyer
  • Administrator
  • Some Space Agency
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #30 on: 07/19/2011 04:55 PM »
Hi-Res
« Last Edit: 07/19/2011 04:55 PM by Jester »

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: 07/19/2011 05:17 PM »
Hi-Res

Thank you Jester !!! (if you have more HR from this event please let me know, I'm intrested :) )

And this is what the patch looks like:

Copyright: Luc van den Abeelen.

On the background of the design;

The theme is a safe landing at the end of the final mission. It is represented by the phases of re-entry shown in five steps, for the five orbiters that flew the program.

The design with the orbiter's nose sticking out from the background mirrors the design of the STS-2 patch; which was the first re-use of a spacecraft; STS-135 being the final re-use.

Three big stars represent the three decades of Shuttle operations. All stars in the background are in three groups; two, eight and four, for the first, largest and final crew respectively.

The International Space Station is shown as the major accomplishment of the Shuttle program.

The groups of blue stars around the border spell 135 for the mission number.

Finally, the bright blue border represents the Earth, for all the Earth-bound workers making Shuttle flights possible.
« Last Edit: 07/19/2011 08:37 PM by jacqmans »

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #32 on: 07/19/2011 06:24 PM »
Many congratulations to you and Luc, Jacques!  I was fortunate enough to receive one of those patches before the flight and, like most designs, it's even more beautiful in person than it is in photos and scans.  Well done on another design flown!
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: 07/19/2011 07:06 PM »
Great design!!!!!
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
« Reply #34 on: 07/20/2011 12:49 PM »
Awesome design, congrats to Luc on getting his to orbit  8)

Tags: