Author Topic: NASA managers approve STS-135 mission planning for June 28, 2011 launch  (Read 123099 times)

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 4
Good article Chris!   I think you're the first site to be confirming that.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 08/20/2010 07:27 PM by kraisee »
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43

Ross.
That's how he rolls  8)

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 68
Yes indeed. Excellent news!
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Chris Bergin

Ross.

There's some JSC people on twitter talking about dancing around (happy) about it.

and wow!

NASA and it's 500,000 followers:

"NASA @NASASpaceflight NASA has asked to move the STS-335 launch on need flight to June to streamline planning *IF* STS-135 becomes real."

PAO not too happy then. We did check the context and noted the funding element etc.

Offline MP99

That's grand.

So, does the failed PM get to come down on 135?

cheers, Martin

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 68
That's grand.

cheers, Martin

That appears to be part of the plan, based on comments I saw in the article.
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 441
  • Likes Given: 3337
That's grand.

cheers, Martin

That appears to be part of the plan, based on comments I saw in the article.

Yup. This is totaly awesome news: the failed PM has a chance to come back.

Oh, and STS-135...can't forget that  ;)  :)

I can't wait to see what goes up on the LMC, and in the MPLM. SO many choices, and best yet: the PMM will be in place and they can stuff it full if they need to.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline steveS

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
What is the purpose of staging an EVA using the station crew during STS-135? (Unless a shuttle crew member is involved)

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 1
Have not read the article yet but from what I think they have to use ISS crew member because there are only 4 shuttle crew members for this mission and they will need an EVA for whatever they carry on the LMC thus needing the ISS crew members to perform an EVA
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline Space Pete

Just as a note, ISS EVA crewmembers will likely be Ron Garan & Mike Fossum, as they will be the only US crewmembers on ISS during Expedition 28/STS-135. A bonus of using Garan & Fossum is that they both made EVAs together during STS-124 in June 2008! :)
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
All right! Atlantis flies again. :)

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 14
Does anyone know what the ISS assembly designation would be for STS-135?  ULF7 maybe?
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline Skylon

Just as a note, ISS EVA crewmembers will likely be Ron Garan & Mike Fossum, as they will be the only US crewmembers on ISS during Expedition 28/STS-135. A bonus of using Garan & Fossum is that they both made EVAs together during STS-124 in June 2008! :)

Still, two shuttle crew members will have to be trained for EVA in the event of a contingency spacewalk, as per normal procedure.

Something that occurred to me, what will the seating look like on launch and entry? Its been a long time since a four crew flight (STS-6!) Will they do it like STS-6 with all four on the flight deck, or STS-5, one MS on the flight deck and another on the mid-deck (done mainly due to Columbia's flight deck not being ready for a fourth seat....maybe done for STS-135 due to the hatch escape system on the mid-deck)?
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 04:04 AM by Skylon »

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 14

Still, two shuttle crew members will have to be trained for EVA in the event of a contingency spacewalk, as per normal procedure.

Something that occurred to me, what will the seating look like on launch and entry? Its been a long time since a four crew flight (STS-6!) Will they do it like STS-6 with all four on the flight deck, or STS-5, one MS on the flight deck and another on the mid-deck (done mainly due to Columbia's flight deck not being ready for a fourth seat....maybe done for STS-135 due to the hatch escape system on the mid-deck)?

They'll all be on the flight deck.  Remember that every flight's MS1 has to video the external tank as it falls away after MECO (although his/her duties might include still photos on STS-135 since he/she will be the only one documenting the discarded ET).
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline Space Pete

They'll all be on the flight deck.  Remember that every flight's MS1 has to video the external tank as it falls away after MECO (although his/her duties might include still photos on STS-135 since he/she will be the only one documenting the discarded ET).

I should imagine they'll pack the mid-deck with as much cargo as they possibly can.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 12:38 PM by Space Pete »
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline scott6428

• Canada
Great news but I wonder about the unlikely rescue plan.  Wouldn't it make more sense to wait til there was an ISS crew rotation?  only 3 on station when 135 docks - that way the next 3 coming up could step aside for a resuce mission?

Offline JayP

I should imagine they'll pack the mid-deck with as much cargo as they possibly can.

Any cargo would go in the mid-deck lockers or behind / under the trampoline as normal. They wouldn't block the escape pole, the hatch jetison panel on the port side or the cutaway area on the starboard side wall.

Offline JayP

Great news but I wonder about the unlikely rescue plan.  Wouldn't it make more sense to wait til there was an ISS crew rotation?  only 3 on station when 135 docks - that way the next 3 coming up could step aside for a resuce mission?

They will want as many hands a possible to unload the MPLM while everything else is going on.

Offline Chris Bergin

Working another article that has STS-135 relation. Someone asked the question about the tank designations....willl be on that, with relevance to STS-134, and also a section on ET-94.

Tags: