Author Topic: "Bottling" high temperature plasma from the Sun  (Read 8234 times)

Offline cosmicpax

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 4
"Bottling" high temperature plasma from the Sun
« on: 05/22/2010 04:39 pm »
Please don't laugh. ok you can laugh, but would it be possible to trigger a fusion reactor inside a spaceship with material sampled and "magnetically bottled" by a probe during a close solar flyby? Material could be transferred by the probe to the spaceship and there a fusion reactor could be ignited. What do you think?
I know that the probe would need some extraordinary shielding but it doesn't need to take a dip into the surface of the Sun, it could collect a sample from the hot but "lower density" plasma in the corona, which can reach 20 million K in some regions. I think a very high speed flyby would not destroy the probe if it is protected in the direction of the Sun by a radiation shield that would be disposed of after the flyby for the return trip.
« Last Edit: 05/22/2010 04:47 pm by cosmicpax »

Offline kfsorensen

• aerospace and nuclear engineer
  • Huntsville, AL
    • Flibe Energy
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Bottling" high temperature plasma from the Sun
« Reply #1 on: 05/22/2010 04:58 pm »
Fusion doesn't take place in the outer layers of the Sun.  Only in the core, and you can't duplicate the conditions and confinement there.

Offline cosmicpax

« Reply #2 on: 05/22/2010 05:08 pm »
Fusion doesn't take place in the outer layers of the Sun.  Only in the core, and you can't duplicate the conditions and confinement there.
I knew that fusion doesn't take place in the corona but I also know that you can find plasma from 1MK to 20MK there, and it's actually a scientific question how it reaches similar temperatures at such a great distance from the center, especially since there is a lower layer as cold as 4100K.

Offline kfsorensen

• aerospace and nuclear engineer
  • Huntsville, AL
    • Flibe Energy
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #3 on: 05/22/2010 05:14 pm »
Fusion isn't just temperature.  Density and confinement are the other two parameters of the Lawson criterion.  The coronal plasma has neither in sufficient amounts for fusion.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #4 on: 05/22/2010 05:14 pm »

I knew that fusion doesn't take place in the corona but I also know that you can find plasma from 1MK to 20MK there, and it's actually a scientific question how it reaches similar temperatures at such a great distance from the center, especially since there is a lower layer as cold as 4100K.

Plasma can't be stored.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #5 on: 05/22/2010 05:41 pm »
The act of confining the plasma (by whatever method) will take enough energy out that it won't be plasma any more.

Learn about the second law of thermodynamics to find out why this won't work. Entropy always beats you. You can't win, you can't break even, you can't leave the game.
JRF

Offline 93143

• Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: 05/22/2010 05:46 pm »
There's nothing special about a solar plasma; higher temperatures (and far higher densities than what you'd find in coronal plasma) have already been achieved in the lab.

The final component of the Lawson criterion, confinement time, should tell you something:

Plasma can't be stored.

Well, it can - but not very well, or for very long, which incidentally is the single biggest reason why net-power fusion reactors are so hard to build.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #7 on: 05/22/2010 05:55 pm »
Sounds infinitely easier to "just" harvest gas from a gas giant. And, as people have noted here, fusion only happens in the center, and even there, it is rather slow. The energy-production density of the core is no greater than the human metabolism... rather low performance! You'd need to heat it up to far higher temperatures anyways to get enough fusions-per-second.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline cosmicpax

« Reply #8 on: 05/22/2010 06:05 pm »
What if the reactor is contained in the probe? So the reaction is started during solar flyby then continues on it's own as it should? The small tokamak inside the probe could initially contain only high density but cold tritium and deuterium that would be ignited by the injection of 20MK plasma. Then the reaction would continue. The magnetic field in the Tokamak would be activated only after the reaction has started.

That said, I think a Spheromak would be better suited for a space probe than a Tokamak.
« Last Edit: 05/22/2010 06:20 pm by cosmicpax »

Offline 93143

« Reply #9 on: 05/22/2010 06:20 pm »
What if the reactor is contained in the probe? So the reaction is started during solar flyby then continues on it's own as it should? The small tokamak inside the probe could initially contain only high density but cold tritium and deuterium that would be ignited by the injection of 20MK plasma. Then the reaction would continue. The magnetic field in the Tokamak would be activated only after the reaction has started.

No, it doesn't work that way.

The density in the corona is too low.  The energy available from coronal plasma particles is too low.  And how, pray tell, are you going to ignite a plasma without the magnetic field turned on?  I can only conclude that you have no idea what the magnetic field is for...

You're describing a method that (a) could never work, and I mean never, and (b) even if it did work, would be vastly more difficult and expensive and complicated than just starting the reactor normally.

Fusion is not a chain reaction.  The main difficulty is not in starting it up; it's in keeping it going.
« Last Edit: 05/22/2010 07:16 pm by 93143 »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: 05/22/2010 06:21 pm »
The act of confining the plasma (by whatever method) will take enough energy out that it won't be plasma any more.

Learn about the second law of thermodynamics to find out why this won't work. Entropy always beats you. You can't win, you can't break even, you can't leave the game.

How does this help anything versus just collecting the gas using a fusion reactor on your main spacecraft?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline cosmicpax

« Reply #11 on: 05/22/2010 06:27 pm »

No, it doesn't work that way.  You really need to learn a bit of fusion physics before getting into this sort of discussion.

The density in the corona is too low.  The energy available from coronal plasma particles is too low.  And how, pray tell, are you going to ignite a plasma without the magnetic field turned on?  I can only conclude that you have no idea what the magnetic field is for...

I understand the problem of the density, that's the real problem I think. I was thinking that an high speed passage could capture enough hot particle to created an higher density in a sort of preliminary container, before the hot, high density plasma is injected in the reactor. I realize that activating the magnetic field of the Tokamak, or better, the Spheromak must be done before the chain reaction takes place, but superconducting magnets require so much energy that makes sense to wait until the probe is very close to the Sun to use as much energy density as possible on the special PV panels of the probe.

Offline 93143

« Reply #12 on: 05/22/2010 06:30 pm »
chain reaction

Okay, suspicion confirmed.  Go back and read my post again (I edited it).

superconducting magnets require so much energy

Once started, superconducting magnets require no energy input beyond their cooling system requirements (which are fairly modest if the insulation is well designed, especially before the reaction starts up).

Also, about the high-speed passage - the density of the solar corona is extremely low and the temperature is extremely high.  Stagnation of a 3e6 K, 2e-16 kg/m^3 monatomic hydrogen gas at 35 km/s would increase the pressure and density by less than 2%.

Not that the corona is really dense enough to treat as an ideal gas on the scale of a space probe...

EDIT:  35 km/s is too slow.  Try 400-500 km/s.  That does increase the temperature quite a bit, and the density by a significant factor - but not significant enough...
« Last Edit: 05/25/2010 10:11 pm by 93143 »

Offline cosmicpax

« Reply #13 on: 05/22/2010 06:37 pm »
How does this help anything versus just collecting the gas using a fusion reactor on your main spacecraft?
[/quote]

If the main spacecraft is manned I wouldn't send it so close to the Sun. Even if the main spacecraft is robotic, only a very special probe could resist such a close flyby to the Sun. That said, the specialized igniting probe could be used in a cyclic way, repeating the solar flybys for starting the reactors of many fusion propelled spacecrafts.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: 05/22/2010 06:53 pm »

If the main spacecraft is manned I wouldn't send it so close to the Sun. Even if the main spacecraft is robotic, only a very special probe could resist such a close flyby to the Sun. That said, the specialized igniting probe could be used in a cyclic way, repeating the solar flybys for starting the reactors of many fusion propelled spacecrafts.
[/quote] I'm just saying, why not just have the probe collect the gas and deposit it at the main spacecraft?

Offline Sparky

• Connecticut
« Reply #15 on: 05/22/2010 06:57 pm »
This sounds oddly similar to plot device in Stargate Universe...

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #16 on: 05/22/2010 07:05 pm »
The Sun's gravity well is so deep getting to Saturn and back would be easier.
You can actually try this in the orbiter sim with something with tons of delta V like the nuclear Orion.
« Last Edit: 05/22/2010 07:08 pm by Patchouli »

Offline cosmicpax

« Reply #17 on: 05/22/2010 07:13 pm »
chain reaction

Okay, suspicion confirmed.  Go back and read my post again (I edited it).
[/quote]

Thank you, I get it now that fusion require a constant external source of energy (gravitational in the case of stars) and I apologize about my ignorance (which is even more humiliating as I'm a physics student who has studied stellar and Big Bang fusion processes for astrophysics and cosmology exams). I clearly had learned the details ignoring the essential :(
« Last Edit: 05/22/2010 07:18 pm by cosmicpax »

Offline 93143

« Reply #18 on: 05/22/2010 07:25 pm »
Well, technically the gravitational effect in a star is what supplies confinement.  The fusion reaction itself produces enough energy to keep the star hot.

So it's kind of like a chain reaction, once you've reached ignition conditions (enough fusion going on to keep the plasma hot).  But it's not something you can grow from a small 'spark' like with fission - if you're not at ignition yet and you let the reaction go without any more external heating, it will die back down.  The corona is not nearly dense enough (or hot enough, for that matter) to provide the brute force necessary to get a tokamak up to ignition conditions, and if it was it would instantly destroy any spacecraft that ventured near...

The main difficulty is confinement.  Reaching ignition is easy if the confinement problem is solved, which is why your scheme wouldn't really address the issue even if it could work.
« Last Edit: 05/22/2010 07:42 pm by 93143 »

Offline cosmicpax

« Reply #19 on: 05/22/2010 07:52 pm »
it's not something you can grow from a small 'spark' like with fission.
Thank you, can you explain than this quote from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheromak
"the stability of spheromak plasmas also allows their creation by 'gun' devices. In a plasma gun, a pulse of electricity ionizes some gas, which is expelled from the barrel and coalesces into a stable spheromak."
I believed a similar process could work with 20MK plasma from the corona but I'm wrong.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography