Author Topic: STS-133 Shuttle Discovery's Final Launch: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 646314 times)

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
The SRO console with the manual hold fire switch is in the ROCC.  The way that could have prevented all of this was for the range commander to have internally instructed the SRO to give a GO and then the SRO would have placed the switch in the proceed position. 

Instead the range commander went over the SRO's head and directly to NASA, leaving the SRO in the dark still with a critical task to perform.  There is nothing automated about the switch.  If the range is NOGO, the SRO puts it in the hold position and the launch can not occur.

Thanks, very interesting.  Must be a little awkward for the SRO to get an instruction on the hold-fire switch from NASA rather than the SRO's boss at the 45th Wing. Presumably there was some back- or side-channel that permitted the SRO to get comfortable on that, but it sounds like they will need to review some communications procedures in addition to the computer glitches.

Offline skyhawk341

• Lansing, MI
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
This is my first post...and it's a doozy. Yoda might say, "Do not what follows."

My wife and I were fortunate to catch the landing from the Merritt Island NWR visitor center. Since the wind was pretty much blowing down the center line of runway 15 at the SLF, just as rdale (who we used to watch on channel 6 here in Lansing, MI) posted that morning, we figured we were in an optimal location. Turns out we were. The camera was on a tripod, pointing right where it needed to be. But my fingers were in anything but an optimal location.

Who puts an on/off button right next to the shutter? Doesn't matter (FWIW, Fuji does, but I'm sure other manufacturers do, too). I missed the shot of a lifetime. As Discovery skimmed over the treetops to end the mission and her storied career, yours truly turned off the camera instead of pressing the shutter.

Oh, it gets better...

The camcorder was on, pointed right at Discovery...on standby. Do you think I noticed that the LCD display said STBY instead of REC? No, I lost that tidbit of information in the Florida glare.

However, all was not lost. As I said up front, I was there with my wife. We took the KSC bus tour that afternoon. And as we returned to the visitor center from the Apollo/Saturn V display, my dear, lovely, deserving-of-all-the-chocolate-wine-and-flowers-she-wants wife squeezed off a shot of Discovery on the towway from inside the bus, using the same digital camera that I forgot how to operate.

Later she told me how badly she felt for me, what with pooching the landing photos and video. She then asked me:

"So, are you going to come back in April to see the launch?"

Did I mention that I love that woman to pieces? Wheeeee!!!

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Nice vantage point! If you need a camera assistant next time, I'll provide free forecasts in exchange for a Delta ticket ;)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Well I got my slides back!

Of course there looks to be water marks on the images...I'll refrain from any cuss words that come to mind. Ugh. SO just ignore those...lol

I'll only post one to save bandwidth.
600mm F4 manual focus, with 1.4 tele, Provia 100 film from the causeway. No touch ups have been done - that's not my way. I don't mind cropping, but don't have that feature on any software at work.

Offline Jeff Bingham

• Extreme Veteran
  • aka "51-D Mascot"
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 56

Of course there looks to be water marks on the images...I'll refrain from any cuss words that come to mind. Ugh. SO just ignore those...lol

600mm F4 manual focus, with 1.4 tele, Provia 100 film from the causeway. No touch ups have been done - that's not my way. I don't mind cropping, but don't have that feature on any software at work.

VERY nice...Thanks for posting it! Maybe you could upload a set to Webshots or Flickr?
Offering only my own views and experience as a long-time "Space Cadet."

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692

VERY nice...Thanks for posting it! Maybe you could upload a set to Webshots or Flickr?

Thanks.
Have never done something like that before. I'll have to think about it & let you know. You should see my bird pictures from the Wildlife refuge  :)

(still have 20+ more rools to get developed)

Oh, and the scans are flawed (with water marks), not the slides. Pheew! They didn't charge me for them because they messed up my order. Got a better one of the Delta 4 with NROL too.

Offline Casey

• SE Michigan
Thanks for sharing! Glad it was just the scans that were messed up.
If you do decide to post to an outside account, please share the link. I'd like to see more.

Offline gchockry

• San Jose, CA
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 970
Check out my video of the Launch of STS-133 Discovery as viewed from the Kennedy Space Center, East Causeway.

Available in various resolutions including 720p and 1080p HD
Turn up the volume to experience the Roar and Crackle, 6 to 7 mile travel-time delay.
Sorry for the length (8 minutes). I wanted to include the total experience and tell a story.

Spent the 4th of July weekend pulling it together. Had to figure out my video editor, YouTube, etc.
Uploaded it just in time before I had to travel to Florida for STS-135. See you there! Enjoy!

Offline Jez_H

Well, as the final Shuttle flight is almost upon us I thought perhaps it was time to make a first post to this forum that I've been lurking on for the last 6 months or so, and post some of my photos from the awsome STS-133 launch I got to watch back in Feb.

I hope you enjoy them.

The full set can be found here: http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/Jez_H/STS-133%20Shuttle%20Launch/

Cheers

Jez

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
Check out my video of the Launch of STS-133 Discovery as viewed from the Kennedy Space Center, East Causeway.

Turn up the volume to experience the Roar and Crackle, 6 to 7 mile travel-time delay.
Sorry for the length (8 minutes). I wanted to include the total experience and tell a story.

Spent the 4th of July weekend pulling it together. Had to figure out my video editor, YouTube, etc.
Uploaded it just in time before I had to travel to Florida for STS-135. See you there! Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Your vids stirred some emotion, such a beautiful sight.
Paul

Offline Cricet

I've searched around and haven't been able to find anything.

For those of us near KSC, where is the best place to catch a glimpse of this leaving for Dulles?

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171

Offline Cricet

Two threads away.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=27689.0

Already saw that, it seems to be soley devoted to the Dulles information, not KSC.

Thanks, I'll check in there though.

Offline gchockry

• San Jose, CA
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 970

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Your vids stirred some emotion, such a beautiful sight.

I'm finally revisiting this Section of the Forum as Discovery makes its Final Flight to DC. Sorry I missed your post. You are welcome! Thank you for the kind words!

Since the time of your post, I have uploaded my STS-135 video as well as the individual scenes from my STS-133, STS-134, and STS-135 videos (shorter durations) to my YouTube channel. Check them out. Enjoy!

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866

I'm finally revisiting this Section of the Forum as Discovery makes its Final Flight to DC. Sorry I missed your post. You are welcome! Thank you for the kind words!

Since the time of your post, I have uploaded my STS-135 video as well as the individual scenes from my STS-133, STS-134, and STS-135 videos (shorter durations) to my YouTube channel. Check them out. Enjoy!
No problem at all, and yes, I will go view your videos.  The SSP is/will be missed.
Paul

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8564
  • Likes Given: 320
5 years ago today (February 24, 2011) I was at KSC in Florida and took these photos of Space Shuttle Discovery's final launch, the STS-133 mission. More STS-133 photos in my flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/112172148@N08/albums/72157662910050532
« Last Edit: 02/24/2016 08:08 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Mighty-T

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 16
10 years ago today! Watched it from the press site, while my remote camera took this frame.
One my best spaceflight experiences.
Keep exploring!

Offline Kit344

Sorry if this has been posted before.
It popped up in my YouTube suggestions, and I thought it was worth sharing.

The YouTube description states STS-133
Please move to a more appropriate thread if necessary.
« Last Edit: 03/23/2021 02:51 pm by Kit344 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography