Author Topic: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 140093 times)

Offline mixologist07

• St. Louis
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)
« Reply #80 on: 02/01/2010 05:50 pm »
Have any congressional viewers for STS130 received their email from NASA HQ?  According to my last email, they were supposed to give arrival information a week or so ahead of time.

They were sent out this afternoon.

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #81 on: 02/01/2010 07:33 pm »

I received my email confirmation a couple hours ago.

Question:  my itinerary says "Causeway"--is this literal and we're not at Saturn V, but instead at LCC?

Also, the weather looks frightful about now--rdale or another wx guy, can you provide a real look at the forecast for us?
Thanks!

Offline tminus9

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #82 on: 02/01/2010 07:42 pm »
Also, the weather looks frightful about now--rdale or another wx guy, can you provide a real look at the forecast for us?
Thanks!

The weekly forecast from 45 WS is generally promising for Saturday/Sunday, with the usual caveats of 5-6 day forecasts.

http://www.patrick.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-061114-008.PDF

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #83 on: 02/01/2010 07:43 pm »

I received my email confirmation a couple hours ago.

Question:  my itinerary says "Causeway"--is this literal and we're not at Saturn V, but instead at LCC?

no, causeway with the other 1000's of viewers

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #84 on: 02/01/2010 07:50 pm »

Thanks tminus9 and Jim (and thanks Jim for your level-headed, (dare I say optimistic) take on today's budget/NASA plan).

So glad I'll have a chance to (hopefully) see STS launch one last time in person though I wish we were closer to actually feel it!

Offline mixologist07

• St. Louis
« Reply #85 on: 02/01/2010 08:00 pm »

Thanks tminus9 and Jim (and thanks Jim for your level-headed, (dare I say optimistic) take on today's budget/NASA plan).

So glad I'll have a chance to (hopefully) see STS launch one last time in person though I wish we were closer to actually feel it!

Trust me, you'll still feel it on the Causeway, especially if the winds are calm given the early morning liftoff time.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #86 on: 02/01/2010 09:42 pm »
This is a question about Sunday morning launch and what to do while there. I know the website said that during the day launches you go in and can look around at exhibits, etc. Will all of them be open overnight for the sunday morning launch, or will everything be closed? Just wondering if we will have things to do or just sit there. I assume they have restrooms open and things like that, but will buildings be open or closed to tour? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Offline dafixer

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #87 on: 02/02/2010 12:26 am »
This is my first post! My fiancee and I are going to Florida for our first (and unfortunately, probably our last) shuttle launch. We're coming from NC so it's going to be a little bit of a hike for us, but it's been a life-long dream to see one of these up close. I didn't realize that getting tickets would be such a big deal so we're out of luck on that...I've read this thread and some of the older ones so it now looks like Space View Park is the best bet.
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to all the posters for the good info. At least now I've got an idea about where to go. I'd have hated showing up at KSC and finding out there that we were out of luck!

Offline harper1249

« Reply #88 on: 02/02/2010 01:20 am »
Have any congressional viewers for STS130 received their email from NASA HQ?  According to my last email, they were supposed to give arrival information a week or so ahead of time.

They were sent out this afternoon.

Still haven't received mine yet.   :-\

Offline gordon22

« Reply #89 on: 02/02/2010 02:05 am »
hi everyone. I am headed down for my first launch and currently have reservations to be on a boat on the banana river during launch. has anyone ever done this before / how is it?

We also have a connection with KSC who can probably get us tickets (I'm assuming causeway) but I'm not sure which option is better. My biggest concern with the causeway is that we'd have to get there 5 or 6 hours early, and my parents who will be with me are close to 80 years old. The boat doesn't board until 4am, so the wait time is minimal.

any thoughts for a rookie would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #90 on: 02/02/2010 03:03 am »
Gordon22, can you give any info on the boat thing? Would be interested as I thought all the boats and planes have an area that by law they may not pass.

Offline gordon22

« Reply #91 on: 02/02/2010 03:07 am »
no problem, this is it:

http://islandboatlines.com/

i'm sure they have to stay x distance away, but they claim it is an unobstructed view.

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #92 on: 02/02/2010 05:11 am »
Is it possible to view the SRB's being brought back into Cape Caneveral?  Also how many days after launch do they usually come back in? Thanks

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #93 on: 02/02/2010 05:16 am »
Is it possible to view the SRB's being brought back into Cape Caneveral?  Also how many days after launch do they usually come back in? Thanks

Two days. Expect them no earlier than Tuesday... and pay attention on here for the times at which they are expected to lock through Port Canaveral.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #94 on: 02/02/2010 07:15 pm »
Can anyone answer my earlier question about things being open Saturday night/Sunday morning at KSC VC? Will we be able to see things or is everything closed? Will  drinks be available or should I bring my own? Thanks to anyone who knows...

Offline jthodges

• California
« Reply #95 on: 02/02/2010 08:50 pm »
Can anyone answer my earlier question about things being open Saturday night/Sunday morning at KSC VC? Will we be able to see things or is everything closed? Will  drinks be available or should I bring my own? Thanks to anyone who knows...

In my previous attempts with similiar schedules, everything was open.  The public tour was limited (as it is on any launch day) but otherwise things were open, including the Shuttle Launch Experience, IMAX, Saturn V exhibit, etc.  I believe the usual food and drink options were available, but I always brought mine so I'm not as sure on that point. 

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #96 on: 02/02/2010 10:08 pm »
Thank you so much, JT. Thats what I wanted to know. I hated the thought that we would be over there and not be able to see things. Since this will be our only time to be there, I at least wanted to see some things. Was not sure about water and things,not sure if it was like airport, so will take some water and snacks, as well. Thank you so much again...Naydene

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #97 on: 02/02/2010 11:43 pm »
For those of you who have never been to the VC, you may want to bring your own food and drink... it's pretty expensive (as you can imagine any tourist attraction is).  Just wanted to throw that in, as it was like 3 dollars for a soda back before STS-129...!  Just some friendly advice ;)

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #98 on: 02/02/2010 11:46 pm »
For those of you who have never been to the VC, you may want to bring your own food and drink... it's pretty expensive (as you can imagine any tourist attraction is).  Just wanted to throw that in, as it was like 3 dollars for a soda back before STS-129...!  Just some friendly advice ;)

And the burgers, as expensive as they may be, can at best be described as ‘soggy’!
It's all in the data.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #99 on: 02/02/2010 11:53 pm »
Thanks for the info. Probably won't eat much, as its overnight, but wanted to drink at least.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography