Author Topic: STS-128 Discovery: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 60307 times)

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Tickets for the STS-128 launch go on sale tomorrow at 9am!
I would go but it is the night of my first day back at school so I can't. (Hoping for STS-130) :)

Tickets for the visitor center are already on sale!
http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/space-shuttle-launch-viewing-tickets.aspx?ic_campID=4&ic_pkw=GH_128LaunchTickets_FL_July09
« Last Edit: 08/06/2009 07:09 pm by Spaceboy7441 »
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: STS-128 Discovery: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2009 07:02 pm »
Lets have a show of hands for those going - I'm one. Perhaps another NSF get together?

It's all in the data.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2009 07:08 pm »
I'm hoping to go *fingers crossed* as long as I can get tickets through KSC, though I feel dumb trying to plan a trip down all the way from MI and for under a certain budget... geez I feel like NASA, big plans, little budget. If only I lived closer.

Thankfully classes don't start for me until Sept. 9th so I do have some leeway.
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline Davidgojr

• Lead & Producer PROJECT SOAR
  • Texas
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2009 09:15 pm »
I will be going!  I just got my congressional VIP invitation in the mail this afternoon.  I can't wait to view and record the launch!  I hope we get a firm launch date locked down shortly so I can purchase flight tickets at a good rate.

Offline UprightCitizen

« Reply #4 on: 08/06/2009 09:33 pm »
I will be going!  I just got my congressional VIP invitation in the mail this afternoon.  I can't wait to view and record the launch!  I hope we get a firm launch date locked down shortly so I can purchase flight tickets at a good rate.

I was also curious how people received these. How did you get yours?

Offline aldelphi

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: 08/06/2009 09:54 pm »

Do the causeway launch viewing tickets sell out almost immediately?

I was wondering if there are any tricks people know of to help the chances of getting a tcket?  Is there a way to fill in the form before 9am on Friday?  I don't seem to be able to see any order form on the Kennedy Launch Ticket web page.

How soon should one write their representative to get VIP tickets?

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2009 09:56 pm »
Yes, they sell out within minutes.

Get on before 9 AM tomorrow and try as fast as you can.

I'd write my representative now.  Not much time left to wait, if it's not too late already.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline smith5se

« Reply #7 on: 08/06/2009 10:42 pm »
How soon should one write their representative to get VIP tickets?

To write your rep to get these tickets, do you have to be somebody or can it be just anyone? And why didn't I know about this sooner...

@aldelphi I was told to have all your information saved in a word document so you can just cut and past credit card, address, etc. information (much quicker) because you are given a time limit to fill out the form and it's not much time.
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #8 on: 08/06/2009 11:20 pm »
From what others have written, you just write the rep for your Congressional district.  I tried for STS-128 and he didn't get back to me...although that's OK, as the slips in the launch date mean I wouldn't be able to go anyway.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #9 on: 08/07/2009 12:12 am »
If anyone is interested in an NSF get-together THE DAY BEFORE liftoff, send me a PM.  Remember, the launch date is still up in the air so I will firm up plans once we have a better idea of the launch date they'll target.

*NOTE: In your PM, include your real name, a phone number with which I can contact you when you're here in Florida, and the number of people who will be in your party at the dinner.*

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 08/07/2009 12:13 am by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #10 on: 08/07/2009 01:37 am »
My tickets for STS 127 came from a board member who could not go back in July, so I am not speaking from experience, but wanted to relate what I have read about the ticket sale:

They go very fast

Your order isn't placed until it is accepted - type fast - some have complained about taking too long and not getting tickets.

Some have also said that the tickets that include a meal with an astronaut last slightly longer.

Good luck to all - wish I could come back again but 127 tapped out this year's vacation budget - 9 nights and 2 trips!

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: 08/07/2009 03:21 am »
I managed to get tickets a couple of times in the past by entering my info on the KSC visitor center web site in right on the dot at 9 AM and it worked for me. I hope you all have good luck with that.

I was able to get a viewing pass from another source this time so I am looking forward to that. When I was not sure if this would work out though, I emailed the staff member at my senator's office who helped me get causeway tickets in the past. This was just a few days ago and she responded that I could get on a waiting list if I wanted to do that. So some passes might still be available for those exploring that option.

I sure hope to meet some of you down there, if they ever set a firm target date. Planning for this has been very difficult. I guess I'd better try for refundable plane tickets, even if it costs a lot more. I would not be disappointed if they pushed it back to 8/26 because I also very much want to go to the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson KS for the 25th anniversary of flight 41D with Steve Hawley, Mike Mullane and the rest of their crew. It was the first flight of Discovery and the first launch I ever saw. I think it would be a great event to attend but if 128 aims for liftoff on the 23rd or 24th it will probably be impossible for me to do both trips.

Hopefully things will come together and we will all see an on time launch once the date is set.

Offline boostincoyote

• Miami
« Reply #12 on: 08/07/2009 11:59 am »
There like a bear in underwear. Class starts on Monday for me but who cares its a night launch its gonna be sick, I think I can make it back to Miami by 11am when class starts.  And luckily my CCAFS badge expires on Sep.1 im gonna try and get next to LCC like I did for STS-127

Offline smith5se

« Reply #13 on: 08/07/2009 05:05 pm »
Got my tickets this morning at 9:01, now I sit and wait... so far it's proved to be a fun roller coaster ride. Hopefully it'll go as smooth as it did for me during STS-125.

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #14 on: 08/07/2009 06:11 pm »

I was also curious how people received these. How did you get yours?

I had met in person with a few of my US senator's staff discussing a project I was working on some time ago.  I remember reading that NASA congressional VIP passes could be requested and I gave them a call one day and asked about it.  They told me it was the first request they had received but they began looking in to it.  They informed me that they had gotten into contact with the NASA point of contact and could try to get some passes for me and a few others.  They told me to give them several months prior to the launch in order for the best chance of success.

I asked the senator's office to see if they could get passes to view STS128 about two months ago.  It was then a waiting game to see if it would work out and I just got the formal NASA invitation of the office of the administrator yesterday.  I'm very excited and looking forward to the launch!
« Last Edit: 08/07/2009 06:14 pm by Davidgojr »

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #15 on: 08/07/2009 06:14 pm »
Got my tickets this morning at 9:01, now I sit and wait... so far it's proved to be a fun roller coaster ride. Hopefully it'll go as smooth as it did for me during STS-125.

So glad to hear you got in. This latest news about a potential major delay is frustrating, but obviously we want the crew and vehicle to be as safe as possible. Chris's article says meetings are ongoing through today so I hope perhaps there will be some resolution one way or the other soon. It would be unfortunate if they have to roll back after all the difficulties encountered with the roll out just a few days ago.

I am still sort of in limbo as I don't know how to arrange travel plans. The launch date for 128 will decide whether or not I can make it to the Kansas Cosmosphere for the 41D 25th reunion. I hope something works out.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #16 on: 08/07/2009 06:22 pm »

So glad to hear you got in. This latest news about a potential major delay is frustrating, but obviously we want the crew and vehicle to be as safe as possible. Chris's article says meetings are ongoing through today so I hope perhaps there will be some resolution one way or the other soon. It would be unfortunate if they have to roll back after all the difficulties encountered with the roll out just a few days ago.

I am still sort of in limbo as I don't know how to arrange travel plans. The launch date for 128 will decide whether or not I can make it to the Kansas Cosmosphere for the 41D 25th reunion. I hope something works out.

Thanks, I was quite impressed with how fast they really went (under 3 minutes). I had a world clock ticking on my computer for a countdown, and right at 9 hit the buy button. Though I think next time I want to go I may try the senator approach, waking up to massive stress/pressure to get tickets first thing in the morning is not something I like LOL

As for the rollback, IF it happens I'll just look at it as a belated birthday present from NASA (at least I have my tickets). There is no way it could launch Sept. 8th though is there? No correct, because other agencies will be accessing the ISS at that time?

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #17 on: 08/08/2009 12:00 am »
For those who commented about airfare and changes.  I made my reservations on Southwest - they fly to Orlando.  Southwest does not charge change fees - you just have to pay the net change in airfare when you rebook.  I rebooked twice.  Started out at $130 round trip and ended up at around $200 roundtrip.  If you end up cancelling, you have a year to use your credit.

I wouldn't fly down for a launch any other way.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #18 on: 08/08/2009 12:42 am »

There is no way it could launch Sept. 8th though is there? No correct, because other agencies will be accessing the ISS at that time?

No.  The Japanese HTV is scheduled to launch on September 10 and requires the same CBM that Discovery's payload (MPLM Leonardo) will be berthed to.

Offline Robwi

• Sweden
« Reply #19 on: 08/09/2009 10:56 am »
I was prepared at 9.00 am (hitting that refresh button on my browser) to buy a ticket to NASA Causeway, but it sold while I was typing in my order... Anyway, I got a ticket from Grayline/Gator tours to watch the launch from NASA Causeway. Have anyone here done that tour with them before?

Now we just have to hope that the launch will occur on time.

Is anyone here in the forums from Sweden, and will travel to watch the launch?

Cheers,

Offline badchap

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #20 on: 08/09/2009 01:06 pm »
I was prepared at 9.00 am (hitting that refresh button on my browser) to buy a ticket to NASA Causeway, but it sold while I was typing in my order... Anyway, I got a ticket from Grayline/Gator tours to watch the launch from NASA Causeway. Have anyone here done that tour with them before

Hiya Robwi !
  I did the NASA causeway tour with Gator tours back in May, to witness the Atlantis shuttle launch.. I was NOT happy with their treatment of us, as I purchased causeway tickets, and then phoned them (long distance from Australia) to confirm the booking and nominate a pick up point, ensure that I was sent a link via email to their information page etc.,
 That launch date was brought forward a day, and as instructed by Gatortours, I confirmed via email that we would still be attending on the new launch date, got a reply from them acknowledging this - thought we were all set.. Got to the USA no worries, and the day before the launch I rang them again to confirm whether launch was going ahead.. they had our names right there on their list and reaffirmed the pick up point with me.
-continued-

Offline badchap

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #21 on: 08/09/2009 01:17 pm »
<cont.

Early on launch day, we were at the pick up point with all the other people, but the tour bus guide did not have our names on his list.
 They put us on the bus to take us to the next pick up point saying that we must be on another's list..long story short, me, my husband and the two kids found ourselves in a minivan with about 10 other international tourists, still going to the space centre, but with no causeway ticket, they were not going to allow us onto the causeway bus.
 We could have stayed inside the visitors' centre, but we didn't pay for that, and were psyched up to see the shuttle on the pad.
 Eventually, after we made a fuss, they 'found' two tickets, so 2 adults could get on the causeway bus with our 2 children on our laps.
 All's well that ends well, our little family got out onto the causeway after all , but it did put quite a damper on the whole experience.. (this is the first time I've been able to write about that part of the day)
 To be fair to them, they went some ways to make up for it a few days later by giving us free transport back to KSC and a free NASA up close tour.
 I don't know what happenned to the other tourists, but we noticed that all but 2 of the people that they had no tickets for were from overseas.

Offline Robwi

• Sweden
« Reply #22 on: 08/09/2009 01:36 pm »
<cont.
 All's well that ends well, our little family got out onto the causeway after all , but it did put quite a damper on the whole experience.. (this is the first time I've been able to write about that part of the day)
 To be fair to them, they went some ways to make up for it a few days later by giving us free transport back to KSC and a free NASA up close tour.
 I don't know what happenned to the other tourists, but we noticed that all but 2 of the people that they had no tickets for were from overseas.

Thank you for your review/story! I'm glad that it turned out well in the end for your family, that you could watch the launch from Causeway and also got a free tour. Though I'm getting a bit nervous, here... ;-) I will travel from Sweden to US, and now it's also a possibility that Discovery will have to roll back to VAB... I haven't booked my travel to US yet, as the launch date still hangs in the air. Hopefully we get a date in the middle of the week. Already the  tickets to US are getting more expensive, as the cheapest ones are getting sold out. The ticket price for the flight I had planned to take just rose with over 700 dollars. But, nevermind the price. It will be an experience! :-)

Have a nice day!

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #23 on: 08/09/2009 02:43 pm »
I am a little discouraged at reading on the other thread that this week's FRR might have no real resolution. I hate to plan a whole trip and then find out it is not going to happen. They might still not know if a roll back is needed. Or they apparently will not set a firm target date. If they say "around Aug 24" I will be so frustrated.  ;) I will either have to make 2 sets of refundable plane reservations, or just plan on heading down there the 23rd one way or the other.

Thanks to this uncertainty I guess my trip to Hutchinson KS for the 41D reunion probably will not work out.  :( Just my luck. Maybe shuttle mission managers will have good news for us this week though.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #24 on: 08/09/2009 05:03 pm »
I was prepared at 9.00 am (hitting that refresh button on my browser) to buy a ticket to NASA Causeway, but it sold while I was typing in my order... Anyway, I got a ticket from Grayline/Gator tours to watch the launch from NASA Causeway. Have anyone here done that tour with them before?

When I went back this May for Atlantis, our trip went as smoothly as possibly (which was a shock to me), though it was crazy figuring out which bus you were on; 3 busses in one spot was a bit much. I guess your trip also depends on your tour guide, our was hillarious though some questions he could no answer.

There was a slide on the NASA tv yesterday that mentioned the 23rd so I have no idea of the day (attached a screen cap of said slide).  Part of me is hoping it gets pushed because the person who was going to travel with me may not be able to go now, and I hate traveling alone.

Sorry to hear you may not get to attend the reunion TNCMAXQ.

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #25 on: 08/09/2009 05:49 pm »
Well that makes it even more confusing. ;) If they aim for the 23rd then the Kansas trip is almost certainly off. Another concern is if I forget the KS trip and then launch is called off anyway then I will have lost the chance to take the other trip.

Hard to believe their final FRR would conclude Aug 18 and launch would be set for the 23d. That would the shortest time between FRR and liftoff they've had, I think. Though if I do not make the Cosmosphere trip, I guess I would prefer to see 128 lift off on the 23d so it would be more of a weekend trip.

Smith5se, thanks for your comment. It is good to get some sympathy. ;) I am glad we have NSF and other sites nowadays to get up to date info and compare notes with other space enthusiasts. Wish we had these things when I was a kid during the Gemini, Apollo, and Skylab days. And even during much of the shuttle program too.

Offline Robwi

• Sweden
« Reply #26 on: 08/11/2009 06:43 pm »
Thank's for the info! The guides mean a lot for a good tour. We had a great guide this spring in Grand Canyon, and he new pretty much everything about Grand Canyon, ranging from local plants and vegetation to history and the surrounding areas. And, he was also hilarious :-) I didn't ask him about the Shuttle program, though... But I guess he knew pretty much about it, too! :-)

Hope it works out with your trip, too!

Cheers,

[/quote]

When I went back this May for Atlantis, our trip went as smoothly as possibly (which was a shock to me), though it was crazy figuring out which bus you were on; 3 busses in one spot was a bit much. I guess your trip also depends on your tour guide, our was hillarious though some questions he could no answer.

There was a slide on the NASA tv yesterday that mentioned the 23rd so I have no idea of the day (attached a screen cap of said slide).  Part of me is hoping it gets pushed because the person who was going to travel with me may not be able to go now, and I hate traveling alone.

Sorry to hear you may not get to attend the reunion TNCMAXQ.
[/quote]

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #27 on: 08/12/2009 04:26 pm »
Sounds like good news over on the other thread. It is not official yet though. And I hope they will let us know if they are aiming for 8/24 or 25 when this phase of the FRR is done.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #28 on: 08/12/2009 06:14 pm »
Sounds like good news over on the other thread. It is not official yet though. And I hope they will let us know if they are aiming for 8/24 or 25 when this phase of the FRR is done.

And yet the jepardy music still plays as we wait for a definite answer.  Man I have so much going on at the end of the month I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea... LOL And I still haven't found anyone to go with... YAY for spontaneous decisions.

But you know we may not get roll back but there's always mother nature too... would be just our luck!

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #29 on: 08/12/2009 06:53 pm »
Yes if that damn hurricane becomes a factor I will be so mad. But again I hope it is not something they wait til the last minute on. With luck a decision will be made before we have boarded our planes.

Now I must know if they are aiming for Monday or Tuesday. That will impact my Kansas trip, IF that comes off at all. :-\ A launch on the 24th probably would mean I would attempt to fly directly from KS to Orlando. If they wait til the 25th I would go home, spend a very brief night there, then take off for the airport the next day to head to the space coast! I am not used to all this jetting around. ;)

Offline smith5se

« Reply #30 on: 08/12/2009 07:03 pm »
Yes if that damn hurricane becomes a factor I will be so mad. But again I hope it is not something they wait til the last minute on. With luck a decision will be made before we have boarded our planes.

Now I must know if they are aiming for Monday or Tuesday. That will impact my Kansas trip, IF that comes off at all. :-\ A launch on the 24th probably would mean I would attempt to fly directly from KS to Orlando. If they wait til the 25th I would go home, spend a very brief night there, then take off for the airport the next day to head to the space coast! I am not used to all this jetting around. ;)

Ahhh just head straight to Orlando... an extra day in FL never hurt anyone. I know my original plans were we were going to drive down (I hate flying... go figure) there and stay the whole week, even if it does launch the 24th or 25th LOL

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #31 on: 08/12/2009 07:53 pm »

"Ahhh just head straight to Orlando... an extra day in FL never hurt anyone. I know my original plans were we were going to drive down (I hate flying... go figure) there and stay the whole week, even if it does launch the 24th or 25th LOL"
[/quote]

I figure it is better to leave home as late as possible so if the liftoff is delayed once I arrive I will have more time to extend the trip if need be. ;)

FL Today is reporting that the Aug 25 target remains but officials say things are going so well they could decide on the 24th at the FRR *next week.* If we have to wait 6 more days for a firm target date then this just adds more frustration. But I guess the prudent thing to do would be to just go ahead and head down there on the 23d, even if it ends up being a day early.

Offline Colds7ream

• Tomorrow's Flight Surgeon
  • Scientia Dabit Alas
  • RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus
    • SalopianJames - en Wikipedia
« Reply #32 on: 08/13/2009 05:34 pm »
I'm carting my entire university Astronomy Society over to catch this launch - we're flying out on 17/08, and fly back 01/09; couldn't get causeway tickets, so we're at the KSC VisCen, but never mind; it's the noise I'm after! :-D

Offline smith5se

« Reply #33 on: 08/13/2009 06:30 pm »
I'm carting my entire university Astronomy Society over to catch this launch - we're flying out on 17/08, and fly back 01/09; couldn't get causeway tickets, so we're at the KSC VisCen, but never mind; it's the noise I'm after! :-D

Yes, the noise, its quite lovely isn't it?

So, just under two weeks to go, shall we start the betting on mother nature? LOL (why do I have a feeling I'll get the book thrown at me for this one)

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #34 on: 08/14/2009 03:36 am »
Yes if that damn hurricane becomes a factor I will be so mad.

What hurricane?  Seriously.  Please... enlighten me.

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #35 on: 08/14/2009 03:48 am »

We have thunderstorms in Texas that get 4x bigger than what is out there right now  8)

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #36 on: 08/14/2009 12:13 pm »

Not a hurricane actually. I should have said "potential hurricane." But as they are saying over on the processing thread, it is not concern at all right now. There are a couple of storms off western Africa now that I guess could turn into hurricanes that aim towards the eastern US. But it will be some time before they could turn into a real threat apparently. So we can hope for the best.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #37 on: 08/18/2009 09:27 pm »
So am I the only one going that has not ordered my plane tickets yet???

Also, I've never stayed in this area so could someone please share with me some decent hotels. Thank you. Debating on staying in this area or Orlando which I'm fairly familar with.

Offline aquarius

« Reply #38 on: 08/18/2009 09:48 pm »
Debating on staying in this area or Orlando which I'm fairly familar with.

So it´s like you´re conducting your own FRR before heading to Florida.

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #39 on: 08/18/2009 09:56 pm »
Finding space coast lodging might be difficult at this time since it is so late. You can check though. If not Orlando, maybe you can find a place to stay in Melbourne. That is a larger city, and I think the airport there is only 20-25 miles from the Cocoa Beach area. I think it is closer to KSC than Orlando.

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #40 on: 08/18/2009 10:00 pm »
I have my flight booked for Friday - I'm just wondering how much I should delay it!
It's all in the data.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #41 on: 08/18/2009 10:03 pm »
Debating on staying in this area or Orlando which I'm fairly familar with.

So it´s like you´re conducting your own FRR before heading to Florida.

Yeah I guess you could say that LOL Now just waiting for a date to be announced.

So far it looks like things are leaning more towards Orlando though I'd rather be at the beach... but prices are sky rocketing for those locations.

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #42 on: 08/18/2009 11:32 pm »
I'm very happy that the date has been set by the FRR today.  I noticed that the schedule has been officially updated by NASA to reflect this on http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html   

Now my party and I can finally make our flight arrangements and head on out there.  I can't wait to see this night launch!!!  ;D  I have my fingers crossed that no other major issues or weather will come up.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #43 on: 08/18/2009 11:45 pm »
I'm very happy that the date has been set by the FRR today.

Check the actual launch discussion thread - no date has been set. Whoever told you that was very wrong.

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #44 on: 08/19/2009 12:53 am »
I'm very happy that the date has been set by the FRR today.

Check the actual launch discussion thread - no date has been set. Whoever told you that was very wrong.

From the official NASA twitter feed:
FRR: The tank discussion is over and everyone had the chance to offer a viewpoint. At this point, the FRR decided we're ok to fly as is.about 3 hours ago from web
FRR: The Flight Readiness Review discussion has ended for today and will resume at 7:30 am EDT Wednesday. Launch target Aug. 25 at 1:36 am.about 3 hours ago from web

NASA has also updated their official site to reflect this change.  I realize that the FRR hasn't concluded yet but it appears that there is a very strong expectation that this date will be launch date at this point.
« Last Edit: 08/19/2009 12:57 am by Davidgojr »

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #45 on: 08/19/2009 01:01 am »
Yes there is that expection, but you said the FRR set a date and that is not at all correct. The one-day pushback has been known here at NSF for a while due to delays over the weekend, again I suggest you read the actual discussion thread instead of the viewing thread.

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #46 on: 08/19/2009 01:53 am »
Yes there is that expection, but you said the FRR set a date and that is not at all correct. The one-day pushback has been known here at NSF for a while due to delays over the weekend, again I suggest you read the actual discussion thread instead of the viewing thread.

I've been following that thread as well as the threads on L2 and have been aware of the possibility of one day push back for some time.  The NASA PAO worded the tweets in a way suggesting that the FRR was the reason for the official date had been shifted.

Up until the posts I already quoted, the official NASA twitter feed gave the last update on the launch status as going up on the 24th:
@SimonGa As of now, STS-128 launch is targeted for August 24 at 1:58 am EDT. The official date will be set by today's FRR.about 13 hours ago from web in reply to SimonGa

The twitter post indicating the change began with FRR:
From the official NASA twitter feed:
FRR: The tank discussion is over and everyone had the chance to offer a viewpoint. At this point, the FRR decided we're ok to fly as is.about 3 hours ago from web
FRR: The Flight Readiness Review discussion has ended for today and will resume at 7:30 am EDT Wednesday. Launch target Aug. 25 at 1:36 am.about 3 hours ago from web

If you want to have a go at someone for posting misleading information, I suggest you write to the PAO who indicated the information contained in that post was a result of the FRR.
« Last Edit: 08/19/2009 02:01 am by Davidgojr »

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #47 on: 08/19/2009 02:32 am »
Back on topic:  I will be driving to Titusville from Tampa to meet up with the bus that will take me onto KSC grounds for the launch.  How bad is the traffic usually for such night launches?

Offline smith5se

« Reply #48 on: 08/19/2009 07:29 pm »
This is going to sound dumb but being that I'm under the age of 25 I am having trouble obtaining a rental car for my vacation that is within my budget.  I was just wondering if I am unable to get a car if someone could maybe help me get to KSC for the launch. 

Far fetched I know but it's getting down to the wire and I'm worried I will not be able to find a car for reasonable costs.

EDIT: Problem solved!!!

And adding in that I may have a spare ticket to the launch if anyone is interested. A friend of mine may not be able to go any longer. :(

EDIT: And... spare ticket is gone...
« Last Edit: 08/20/2009 12:09 am by smith5se »

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #49 on: 08/19/2009 08:41 pm »
Does anyone know if Playalina Beach will be open on Sautrday, or if there is any way I can find out?

I would like to get a view of the shuttle if it is open.

Thanks,

Paul
It's all in the data.

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #50 on: 08/19/2009 08:53 pm »
I think IIRC per the rules Saturday may be the last day before they close the beach for viewing. Usually somewhere around L-2 or 3 that they shut it down to visitors

Offline kermit

• Reston, Virginia USA
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #51 on: 08/19/2009 09:07 pm »
Does anyone know if Playalina Beach will be open on Sautrday, or if there is any way I can find out?

Thanks,

Paul

According to the Wildlife Refuge Website they close 3 days before launch. Their # is 321-861-0667, if you would like to confirm.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #52 on: 08/19/2009 10:39 pm »

Thanks,

Paul

It will be closed and you will able to seen nothing but the ET and SRBs.

Offline LSenus

• Too Far From the Space Coast
« Reply #53 on: 08/20/2009 03:27 pm »
Here's some info from our STS-125 launch trip:

Pre-Launch viewing:

Playalinda beach will be closed 3 days prior to the launch.
Space View Park in Titusville is the best place to view the pads from.  It's 12+ miles from the pads, but a direct line of sight.  Make sure you have a BIG lens for your camera.  400mm or longer is highly recommended, with a sturdy tripod.  Lenses are available for rent from many companies on the internet.
We had a group of NSF folks meet in Titusville for dinner at Dixie Crossroads restaurant. 

Day of launch:
Find out for sure where your viewing point is.  (Causeway, Saturn 5 center, KSC visitor ctr., etc.)
When we were down for STS-125, we had causeway tix through Gator tours.  This was a bus pickup in Orlando to the KSC visitor center.  If you are bringing folding chairs, soft sided coolers, etc, put them in the cargo hold of the bus.

Once arriving at KSC Visitor Center you will have to clear through a security screening in order to enter the visitor complex.
Most likely, you will have some time to tour the attractions. I recommend doing the Shuttle Launch Experience as soon as you arrive to help avoid long lines and to make sure you can get back on your bus in time.

While you are touring the visitor center, the bus you arrived on will go through a security screening to check for weapons, explosives, etc.  We were able to leave items on the bus and they were there waiting for us.  If you are bringing folding chairs, small coolers etc. put them in the cargo hold of the bus.  They will be inspected, and if safe, allowed to remain on the bus for the trip to the causeway.  Once the bus is cleared it will be directed to a secure parking area to await your return. 

The line to get back on your bus for transport to the causeway is the same lines they use for the KSC "Then & Now" and "Up Close" tours.  There was little in the way of signage or directions to inform you of this.  Take my word, you will be able to get on the same bus you arrived on.

Recommended items to bring:
-Camera gear (Lots of it) I borrowed another D-SLR body from a friend so that I was able to have multiple lenses operating at the same time.
- 3G enabled device - To get to NSF of Course!
-Umbrella type folding chairs - NOT metal folding lawn chairs
-Soft side cooler to hold drinks, cold sandwiches. ### ITEM TO NOTE ### Hot dogs and drinks were available on the causeway, but 45 minutes in line for a limit of 6 waters in 97 degree hot sun was not fun.  ### Depending on the time of the launch, concessions may not be provided on the causeway. ###
-Sunscreen
-Small folding umbrella for shade.
-Small folding shade shelter - these generally sell for about $25-30 and are the small folding type you would typically see on the beach.  No more than 40" or so in height.
-Hand towels from the hotel - It's hot, you're going to sweat.  Plus they can be used to cover your camera gear to help keep it cool to avoid heat distortion of the focal elements.

Post-Launch Activities:

Playalinda beach will be open 1-2 days after the launch.
From the parking area at Playalinda beach to the KSC fence on the beach is approximately 1 mile.
The "Then & Now" and "Up Close" tours were running 2 days after the launch.

« Last Edit: 08/20/2009 03:28 pm by LSenus »
Much of what we have today would not be, were it not for their dedication, sacrifice and hard work.

Offline sts126

« Reply #54 on: 08/22/2009 04:54 am »
anyone have a good feel for if it is worth taking the extra tour at ksc "nasa up close" on monday ie about 15hours before launch.. I know they fuel about 10-12hours prior can't image ksc buses get any where near shutle but how about the rest? vis center always kind of vague they say it either runs or doesn't and that is about all they can say.
Don't worry ... it IS Rocket Science. Dark matter somewhere in the house, just can't find it now.

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #55 on: 08/22/2009 05:30 am »
anyone have a good feel for if it is worth taking the extra tour at ksc "nasa up close" on monday ie about 15hours before launch.. I know they fuel about 10-12hours prior can't image ksc buses get any where near shutle but how about the rest? vis center always kind of vague they say it either runs or doesn't and that is about all they can say.

I know that they usually stop offering the tour 24 hours before the launch.  To be safe, I would call KSC visitors center to find out.

Offline sts126

« Reply #56 on: 08/23/2009 07:00 am »
anyone know if there is much ambient light at either nasa causeway or at banana creek for night launches from street lights etc. curious as I come from light polluted area would  nice to do some star gazing while waiting for launch of 128.
Don't worry ... it IS Rocket Science. Dark matter somewhere in the house, just can't find it now.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #57 on: 08/23/2009 07:24 am »
I don't know about the causeway at night, but when I watched STS-104 from the astronaut hall of fame (AHOF) there was definitely some light there, I don't think I would have had too good a time observing deep space objects with a telescope.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina
« Reply #58 on: 08/23/2009 12:57 pm »
anyone know if there is much ambient light at either nasa causeway or at banana creek for night launches from street lights etc. curious as I come from light polluted area would  nice to do some star gazing while waiting for launch of 128.

I know at the causeway site they had light stands in the viewing area for STS-126 & STS-123. Primarily for safety. IIRC they kept them on throughout the count and launch. Not sure about the Banana Creek viewing site.

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #59 on: 08/23/2009 02:28 pm »
I've seen some videos on youtube from Banana Creek where they have lights on until after the national anthem.  They then switch them  off for the launch.  I don't know for sure if this is still the case nowadays.  I'm looking forward to the launch from Banana Creek!  I'll report my findings back on the site later.

Offline sts126

« Reply #60 on: 08/23/2009 02:42 pm »
that's what i was hoping to hear see you at banana Creek, I was asking about darkness since I'll have binocs in hand anyway

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #61 on: 08/23/2009 06:31 pm »
Staying with friends in Edgewater. Went to the Cape Canaveral Seashore this morning, the beaches were closed but we were able to see the VAB and watched manatees for about an hour from an overlook.

Kind of cool seeing the  "Shuttle Security Beach Closed" signs everywhere!

Paul
It's all in the data.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #62 on: 08/24/2009 12:02 am »
Anyone in the "northeast" plan on seeing Discovery on it's way to orbit Tuesday morning?

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #63 on: 08/24/2009 12:19 am »
Anyone in the "northeast" plan on seeing Discovery on it's way to orbit Tuesday morning?

If I can sneak a peak during launch coverage, I'll definitely be looking.  Saw 116 hit MECO.  :)

Offline crispy116

« Reply #64 on: 08/24/2009 12:20 am »
OK - so I have causeway tickets for tomorrow night - and I am trying to work out what happens between the 7:30pm 'must be there by' and the launch time.

Given that this is a night launch, what is going to be open at KSC?

I ask as I want to know whether to turn up later as the attractions will still be open, or whether to turn up earlier to see the attractions.

Thanks all!

Offline TheGame0135

• NASA GRC Rotorcraft Drives Research Intern
« Reply #65 on: 08/24/2009 01:05 am »
i was there for STS127 back in June when it was scrubbed for a 2nd time t 2:00 AM, everything was open and it was very exciting a astronaut was there & they had engineers walking aroudn talking to people,i suggest the earlier the better cuz it's a lot of fun!!!
"Human Spaceflight: While our path may not always be clear, our destiny is!"

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
« Reply #66 on: 08/24/2009 01:25 am »
Most people here would show up at RSS retract if they could! lol ;)
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline TheGame0135

« Reply #67 on: 08/24/2009 01:27 am »
i completely agree, if i could convince my dad to go that early we'd be there, but since this is only our 2nd time to Florida, and on his money, he wants to lay out on the beach haha

Offline usn_skwerl

• Space Junkie
  • Ad Astra
  • South Bend, IN
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #68 on: 08/24/2009 02:05 am »
I'll be watching from here in Philly.
If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Offline kimmern123

• Veteran
  • Norway
« Reply #69 on: 08/24/2009 02:29 am »
It will be the press site for me!! Really looking forward to it as it's my first launch! :D

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #70 on: 08/24/2009 02:36 am »
Good luck to all of those going to the launch.  I am jealous.  Having spent 9 nights (in 2 trips) in Florida for 127, I hope I am jealous of all of you getting to see the launch on the first scheduled date.  Probably setting my alarm to watch the launch, then somehow try to go back to bed. 

To repeat the best advice I received, don't watch through your camera's viewfinder.  Watch the launch.  I got about 20 pictures of the shuttle and about 50 of the sky - but all I needed was one good picture - and I got that

Offline sts126

« Reply #71 on: 08/24/2009 02:40 am »
how did you score press site??...I'll bring a laptop and put a pencil behind my ear

Offline smith5se

« Reply #72 on: 08/24/2009 03:01 am »
Well I fly out tomorrow at 8:30 am but have to leave my house at around 5:30am... blah! But worth it!

Though tonight I checked, double checked, and triple checked to make sure I packed my tickets LOL I really did not trust myself holding them, wish they would do a will call type thing but it would probably be too much of a hassle.

Offline TheGame0135

« Reply #73 on: 08/24/2009 03:37 am »
lucky you with the press pass,my uncle works at Glenn in Cleveland, we got banana creek passes, i'm pretty pumped!!

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #74 on: 08/24/2009 03:45 am »
"To repeat the best advice I received, don't watch through your camera's viewfinder."

That's very good advice....when I was at KSC for STS-125 I only took a very few pictures of the launch itself.  I watched most of it with my own eyes or through binoculars - getting a good close up look of the stack and the orbiter as well as SRB sep later on.  It was a thoroughly satisfying experience. 
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline HelixSpiral

• Cincinnati, OH
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #75 on: 08/24/2009 04:47 am »
Will be watching from Myrtle Beach. It's supposed to be clear tomorrow night, so I should be able to see from about T+90 until MECO.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2009 06:20 am by HelixSpiral »

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #76 on: 08/24/2009 12:03 pm »
First time in quite a while I'll be watching this one on tv from the house. Not scheduled to be in to work until around 3 am, just in time for all of the work to start!
If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Offline Lawntonlookirs

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 08/24/2009 01:09 pm »
Anybody know for sure how far northwest of the flight path the launch is visible?  Would you be able to see it in central PA?
Everyman is my superior in that I may learn from him.  Albert Einstein

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #78 on: 08/24/2009 01:19 pm »
Anybody know for sure how far northwest of the flight path the launch is visible?  Would you be able to see it in central PA?

Looking at this map, I'd say yes, but very low on the horizon.
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #79 on: 08/24/2009 02:00 pm »
Will be watching from Myrtle Beach. It's supposed to be clear tomorrow night, so I should be able to see from about T+90 until MECO.

Wow..that's a pretty long view (7 minutes).

Here on Long Island, we should get the first view at T+ 7:45 and right through MECO and ET SEP (just about 1 minute...but well worth it!).

Offline sts126

« Reply #80 on: 08/24/2009 04:37 pm »
At kscvc no addon tours today last bus to Apollo etc 745pm

Offline HelixSpiral

• Cincinnati, OH
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #81 on: 08/24/2009 04:39 pm »

Here on Long Island, we should get the first view at T+ 7:45 and right through MECO and ET SEP (just about 1 minute...but well worth it!).

Yeah, I'm kind of right in the "sweet spot" for maximum viewing time. The shuttle comes above the horizon to the south about 30 seconds before SRB sep, then arcs up and to the left (NE) and gets about 17 deg above the horizon and starts to dip down towards the horizon quickly. MECO occurs just before the shuttle goes under the horizon.

Offline fat_man_in_space

« Reply #82 on: 08/25/2009 04:56 am »
I could have gone on vacation this week and hopefully watced Discovery launch, but a co-worker had this week booked before me. 

Offline dgates

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #83 on: 08/25/2009 02:02 pm »

What's your favorite tool for predicting launch viewing from a particular lat/long? I am familiar with the on orbit viewing prediction sites, but not sure if these will adequately forecast the launch track.  And, with the 24 hr push, anybody have updated track data?

Thanks
Pilot

Offline TheGame0135

« Reply #84 on: 08/25/2009 02:43 pm »
does anyone know what the drill is withg etting back into kennedy for the launch tonight? we have our bus boarding passes, but do we need our ticket stubs too?

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #85 on: 08/25/2009 03:02 pm »
We were on the causeway last night and although no lift off, it was a tone of fun. The crowd were in a great mood. We had the iconic view of the pad and stack illuminated by the Xeon lights, and the view is perfect. It was a wonderful experiance. Hopefully we will do it all again and top it off with a launch this evening.

Paul

« Last Edit: 08/25/2009 03:03 pm by Paul Adams »
It's all in the data.

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #86 on: 08/25/2009 04:16 pm »
does anyone know what the drill is withg etting back into kennedy for the launch tonight? we have our bus boarding passes, but do we need our ticket stubs too?

Yes - you need your KSC admission ticket (they were blue for 127) to gain entrance to the KSC grounds.  You keep reusing that ticket for every launch attempt.  Then use your new LTT ticket for the bus.

Good luck tonight - although if it slips to Thursday night / Friday morning its getting closer my bedtime. 

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #87 on: 08/25/2009 04:45 pm »
Banana Creek was very fun last night even though the weather didn't clear in time for liftoff.  The atmosphere there was buzzing with excitement and it was awesome seeing the pad lit up with the spotlights.  I can't wait to get back out there tonight for another go!

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #88 on: 08/26/2009 07:49 am »
Banana Creek was very fun last night even though the weather didn't clear in time for liftoff.  The atmosphere there was buzzing with excitement and it was awesome seeing the pad lit up with the spotlights.  I can't wait to get back out there tonight for another go!

I have always wondered this as I have never been out at the causeway when there has been a scrub and nobody at KSCVC seems to know..... For my future reference, when you go out to the causeway with an LTT ticket obviously you give the ticket in prior to boarding the bus, how do you buy another ticket? I demand for these tickets is super high to you get any priority on buying a new one and how much do they charge?

Thanks.
Launches - STS-115, STS-117, STS-123, STS-125, STS-132, STS-135, WGS3, Kepler, MSL
Endeavour Flyout From SLF
Scrubs - STS-122, STS-133

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #89 on: 08/26/2009 12:09 pm »
Yorky - I went through the causeway scrub twice for STS-127.  The first night as we got back and got off the bus, they gave us a coupon to be able to buy a new LTT ticket for $20 plus tax ($21.20 total).  Everyone got a coupon, you could only buy one LTT ticket per coupon.  The scrub was around 7 that night and we had until the 10 p.m. Visitor's Center closing to buy the tickets.  I believe they sold whatever was left to the public the next morning.

For the second night we were given the coupons as we went through the line to get on the bus.   Made it less hectic when we got off.  Just another $42.40 for us.

I had asked the same question before I went and someone had related a similar experience with an earlier launch, so it appears this is NASA's normal approach.

So if you go again, just bring your credit card. 
« Last Edit: 08/26/2009 12:09 pm by ysuindy »

Offline seattlite

« Reply #90 on: 08/27/2009 03:00 pm »
Read on some other posts from other sites that the Causeway viewing folks were bused to a closer location after Scrub's.  Any chance this would be the case this evening?

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #91 on: 08/27/2009 03:25 pm »
For 127 they took us to VIP area at Banana Creek for the attempt that finally made it - that was after scrubs on Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday.  Bus drivers indicated that was unprecedented.

The Tuesday crowd on the causeway was much less than the Sunday crowd.  My guess is it will be a matter of numbers.   If they don't have to incur the expense of opening up the causeway and can squeeze everyone in at Banana Creek they might try, but I wouldn't count on it.

We found out for 127 when we got on the bus - and we had waited for one of the last busses to head out.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #92 on: 08/27/2009 03:35 pm »
Well here's to hoping that tonight is the night, I don't think I'll be able to extend my plane ticket this late in the game especially since we pretty much leave right after launch LOL

As for the number of people, there weren't that many on the first attempt at the causeway to me... definitly not nearly as many as there were for 125 but the line for LTT tickets after the first scrub was LONG (~2hrs long) so I'd say we will still be going for the causeway.

Anywhose, I'd just like to say... Dear NASA please launch this shuttle tonight (safely), it'll be a fantastic ending to my trip!

EDIT: So much for that wish... looks like I'll be going home before the attempts.
« Last Edit: 08/27/2009 04:20 pm by smith5se »

Offline TheGame0135

« Reply #93 on: 08/27/2009 04:35 pm »
Well here's to hoping that tonight is the night, I don't think I'll be able to extend my plane ticket this late in the game especially since we pretty much leave right after launch LOL

As for the number of people, there weren't that many on the first attempt at the causeway to me... definitly not nearly as many as there were for 125 but the line for LTT tickets after the first scrub was LONG (~2hrs long) so I'd say we will still be going for the causeway.

Anywhose, I'd just like to say... Dear NASA please launch this shuttle tonight (safely), it'll be a fantastic ending to my trip!

EDIT: So much for that wish... looks like I'll be going home before the attempts.

trust me i know how depressing this is, i was there for 127, when it was scrubbed in June for a 2nd time, and my dad and i drove down from Ohio to see it this past week, we left yesterday because we werent' sure if we coudl stay till the date, glad we didn't wouldn't have been able to make friday night..

Offline smith5se

« Reply #94 on: 08/27/2009 04:45 pm »

trust me i know how depressing this is, i was there for 127, when it was scrubbed in June for a 2nd time, and my dad and i drove down from Ohio to see it this past week, we left yesterday because we werent' sure if we coudl stay till the date, glad we didn't wouldn't have been able to make friday night..

Yeah, the greedy part of me is hoping the weather doesn't hold out this weekend so I can come back in Oct. I KNOW I could do that LOL

I'm still debating on staying for the Friday night one but I also have classes starting and I have to move out of my apt. in MI on the 31st LOL Yeah not smart planning on my part.

Offline seattlite

« Reply #95 on: 08/27/2009 08:50 pm »
We were on bus #4 on Mon/Tue night, and was about #20 in-line for return LTT tickets.  Our flight doesn't leave till Wed, Sept 2nd, but I've been planning our Disney vacation around these scrubs.  But, I'll soon have a schedule conflict come Sunday night and will have to make a decision to Disney or to Shuttle.  I have a feeling that my wife will make the decision for me :-(

Offline fishman

« Reply #96 on: 08/27/2009 09:33 pm »
Has anybody else heard or know why the Causeway at KSC will be closed for the launch Friday at 11:59pm. I have only seen it on the web site that I booked my tour with and wanted to make sure this was the case. 

http://www.gatortours.com/shuttle/index.htm

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
« Reply #97 on: 08/27/2009 09:56 pm »
As an FYI, on Monday night, some of the causeway buses were promoted to Banana Creek (3.9 miles) while others were not.

Offline SpaceGerwl

« Reply #98 on: 08/27/2009 11:00 pm »
Hey all.. new to the site and I must say pretty impressive the knowledge everybody has on space flight.. kudos

My question to whomever is if the shuttle doesn't launch on Friday at 23:59, would there be another attempt on Saturday or would the launch be rescheduled for Sunday night automatically?  Am trying to plan a trip and would like to know this prior to any reservations.  Thank You!

Offline seattlite

« Reply #99 on: 08/27/2009 11:34 pm »
As an FYI, on Monday night, some of the causeway buses were promoted to Banana Creek (3.9 miles) while others were not.

Do you know which buses?  I was wondering if I should be a bit earlier next attempt in the even there is an upgrade.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #100 on: 08/28/2009 12:03 am »
Hey all.. new to the site and I must say pretty impressive the knowledge everybody has on space flight.. kudos

My question to whomever is if the shuttle doesn't launch on Friday at 23:59, would there be another attempt on Saturday or would the launch be rescheduled for Sunday night automatically?  Am trying to plan a trip and would like to know this prior to any reservations.  Thank You!

Last I heard, the plan was to attempt launch on three consecutive days.
JRF

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #101 on: 08/28/2009 12:07 am »

My question to whomever is if the shuttle doesn't launch on Friday at 23:59, would there be another attempt on Saturday or would the launch be rescheduled for Sunday night automatically?

Keep an eye on the processing thread for more details... They will not want to try 3 in a row from this point, so it's still a guess but if they cut out late in the attempt on Friday, they'll wait until Sunday.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #102 on: 08/28/2009 05:33 am »
Well just change our flight to Saturday (which got us switched to a non-stop flight... even better!) and extended the rental car, which we will be camping out of Friday night, sadly this will be our last attempt to see this launch :( Come on Discovery... you can doooo itttttt!

Fishman, did you ever figure out why the causeway was closed??? Hopefully this doesn't affect people who hold causeway ticekts from KSC.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #103 on: 08/28/2009 06:11 am »

My question to whomever is if the shuttle doesn't launch on Friday at 23:59, would there be another attempt on Saturday or would the launch be rescheduled for Sunday night automatically?

Keep an eye on the processing thread for more details... They will not want to try 3 in a row from this point, so it's still a guess but if they cut out late in the attempt on Friday, they'll wait until Sunday.

Agreed. We will see two attempts in three days.

Offline tblessin

« Reply #104 on: 08/28/2009 01:05 pm »
Has anybody else heard or know why the Causeway at KSC will be closed for the launch Friday at 11:59pm. I have only seen it on the web site that I booked my tour with and wanted to make sure this was the case. 

http://www.gatortours.com/shuttle/index.htm

I called Grey Line this morning and was told the same thing -- "that the causeway was closed" -- what I didn't ask was whether it was closed for 3rd party operators like Grey Line or was it "completely" closed.

Quite a bummer!  We've been on an emotional roller coster the last 4 days with this launch and now we will need to schlep over to Titusville...oh well.

Offline brucepdx

• http://brucec.net/
« Reply #105 on: 08/28/2009 01:21 pm »
I called Grey Line this morning and was told the same thing -- "that the causeway was closed" -- what I didn't ask was whether it was closed for 3rd party operators like Grey Line or was it "completely" closed.

Quite a bummer!  We've been on an emotional roller coster the last 4 days with this launch and now we will need to schlep over to Titusville...oh well.

I called KSC yesterday, and they confirmed to me that the causeway was closed to Gator Tours, but said that it would be open for KSC buses. I also called the folks at http://www.kennedyspacecentertours.net/, and they said that their buses were still running. I wonder if Gator got kicked out for bad behavior or something. :)

Offline tblessin

« Reply #106 on: 08/28/2009 01:41 pm »
Yes, I confirmed that it is still open for the ksc buses.

was the causeway just closed to gator, or to the other tour company (florida dolphin tours)?

Offline tblessin

« Reply #107 on: 08/28/2009 01:56 pm »

I just confirmed that florida dolphin tours is not going to the causeway either...why would the regular buses go there and not the tour companies which normally do?  very dissapointing!!

Offline spacedog71

« Reply #108 on: 08/28/2009 02:04 pm »
i just spoke with someone at KSC @ (321) 449-4400 (expect a long hold time this morning) who confirmed that orange LTT sts-128 ticket holders who'd already bought tickets earlier in the week could still expect to be able to board buses this evening to go to the causeway from the visitor's center.

(she also pointed out that the launch was now an hour earlier than it had been, and that buses would begin leaving at 9 and not 10, and suggested that vehicle placard holders should therefore really shoot for being inside the gate by 8 this evening.)

she did say that no new causeway tickets are being sold, which may be the reason gator & dolphin are unable to mount more package expeditions.  but according to http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/space-shuttle-launch-viewing-tickets.aspx tickets are on sale at the door today to view the launch from KSC this evening.

[sigh... my fingers are seriously crossed that this will all eventually lead to one of those swell-sounding banana creek detours. this will be my fifth trip to florida and my eighth launch attempt (1x119 3/11; 4x127 6/13, 6/17, 7/11, 7/12; 2x128 8/24, 8/25) and i've still never seen an actual launch. oh well. off to the airport...]

Offline tblessin

« Reply #109 on: 08/28/2009 02:50 pm »
i just spoke with someone at KSC @ (321) 449-4400 (expect a long hold time this morning) who confirmed that orange LTT sts-128 ticket holders who'd already bought tickets earlier in the week could still expect to be able to board buses this evening to go to the causeway from the visitor's center.

(she also pointed out that the launch was now an hour earlier than it had been, and that buses would begin leaving at 9 and not 10, and suggested that vehicle placard holders should therefore really shoot for being inside the gate by 8 this evening.)

she did say that no new causeway tickets are being sold, which may be the reason gator & dolphin are unable to mount more package expeditions.  but according to http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/space-shuttle-launch-viewing-tickets.aspx tickets are on sale at the door today to view the launch from KSC this evening.

[sigh... my fingers are seriously crossed that this will all eventually lead to one of those swell-sounding banana creek detours. this will be my fifth trip to florida and my eighth launch attempt (1x119 3/11; 4x127 6/13, 6/17, 7/11, 7/12; 2x128 8/24, 8/25) and i've still never seen an actual launch. oh well. off to the airport...]

Thanks for the additional info.  Those on the grey line tours already had causeway tickets for the attempt canceled on Tues/Weds due to the valve issue, so they had already 'gotten space', so it's confusing why the companies would not be able to return for the third attempt (since the tour companies were going to go for the second attempt).

Offline smith5se

« Reply #110 on: 08/28/2009 02:52 pm »
Thanks for the info. spacedog... makes me feel a bit better especailly after just forking over more money for a new plane ticket LOL Hopefully there will be a banana creek detour that you speak of... must have to get there pretty early I guess.

Offline ineedalife999

• Baltimore, MD
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #111 on: 08/28/2009 05:17 pm »

I'm not so sure about showing up early.  You would figure they would start busing the people with Banana Creek tickets out first as normal, and if the going was slow they would divert a couple of the causeway buses to the site.  Might be more of a luck of the draw kind of thing.

“We will never be an advanced civilization as long as rain showers can delay the launching of a space rocket.” -George Carlin

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #112 on: 08/28/2009 08:47 pm »
Scared me a bit when NSF was offline before. Bad timing!

Anyway, a fellow NSF member called me from the visitor center where she has already arrived. She says the green Gator tour tickets are being honored. Not sure why there was word before that they were not but apparently people with tickets will be getting on their buses for viewing.

Offline tblessin

« Reply #113 on: 08/28/2009 09:01 pm »
Are you sure that the green tickets are going to be honored for getting on the bus?  Or is it just that they are getting into the center with te blue tickets.  Trying to decide whether to go to the center or Titusville so an answer would be very appeeciated!!!

Thanks

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #114 on: 08/28/2009 09:12 pm »
Are you sure that the green tickets are going to be honored for getting on the bus?  Or is it just that they are getting into the center with te blue tickets.  Trying to decide whether to go to the center or Titusville so an answer would be very appeeciated!!!

Thanks

This person told me green ticket holders were getting on the bus but I still do not know this officially. Perhaps you should call the bus co. or KSC to confirm.

Offline tblessin

« Reply #115 on: 08/28/2009 09:19 pm »
Just spoke to ksc and the green tickets will be honored!! Going to leave for there shortly instead of titusville ....

Thank you very much for passing on this information.   You made mine and my sons day!

Offline spacedog71

« Reply #116 on: 08/29/2009 02:07 am »
well, my causeway bus took me to the causeway, not banana creek. :-/ crowd is very light compared to monday night.

Offline Scorpius

• Teignmouth, UK
« Reply #117 on: 08/29/2009 04:32 am »
Watched Discovery with ET tumbling beneath about 17 minutes after launch flying right over my location in Devon. Amazing sight - definitely worth staying up half the night for!  8)
« Last Edit: 08/29/2009 04:35 am by Scorpius »

Offline Hobbs

• UK
« Reply #118 on: 08/29/2009 04:42 am »
Hey me too in torquay!, They were really really bright too tonight, Totally amazing sight:)
« Last Edit: 08/29/2009 04:43 am by Hobbs »

Offline LostInSpace

• Cape Canaveral
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #119 on: 08/29/2009 05:01 am »
well, my causeway bus took me to the causeway, not banana creek. :-/ crowd is very light compared to monday night.

Ya know, no one at Banana Creek saw the orbiter until it cleared the pad.  It's obstructed by the FSS and RSS.  Only causeway people can see the pad as expected in all its glory with a clear view of Discovery.  ;-) 

Offline tblessin

« Reply #120 on: 08/29/2009 02:09 pm »

They did honor the green tickets so got to see the launch from the causeway and it was great.  Was a little surprised how much for a few seconds the initial blast of white 'smoke' seemed to block the view of the orbiter rising.  The silence lasted quite a while until the wave of rumble washed over us, that was almost as cool as the visual.

Overall, a great experience and truly awe inspiring.

Offline Colds7ream

• Tomorrow's Flight Surgeon
  • Scientia Dabit Alas
  • RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus
    • SalopianJames - en Wikipedia
« Reply #121 on: 08/29/2009 03:50 pm »
Got a fantastic view from under the stack at the visitor's centre - was astonished at how she lit up the sky! :-D An awesome and beautiful sight!

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #122 on: 08/29/2009 08:09 pm »
Just got back to Vegas after driving directly to Orlando airport from the causeway.

This was an incredible launch. It lit up the sky much more than the last night launch I saw, which I think was due to the very high humidity. On the other hand, it did not seem to be nearly as loud as other launches I have been to, I wonder if this was due to the very high amount of moisture in the air also. (Others made the same comment.)

Its easy to forget how fast the stack accelerates once clear of the tower, that always catches me by surprise.

We could still see the SSME's as a small but clear spot low on the horizon as Huston were reporting the ship was 466 miles down range!

If there was one disappointing aspect, it was how SMALL the crowd at the causeway was. Plenty of room along the rope and no need to stand two of three deep if you were willing to walk a little bit.

Overall, an amazing experience.

Edit, grammar and spelling!
« Last Edit: 08/30/2009 05:49 pm by Paul Adams »
It's all in the data.

Offline Eksath

« Reply #123 on: 08/29/2009 10:32 pm »
Glad to see her fly!

Here is the view from my vantage point.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/NASA/Rockwell-Space-Shuttle/1571940/L/

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI

Offline smith5se

« Reply #125 on: 08/30/2009 12:17 am »
Glad to hear Tom got the word out about the green tickets! Wasn't sure if he would be able to cause the site was down and it wouldn't work on the iphone I had at the time either.

Great launch, 34 hours of no sleep is well worth it, met a lot of nice people and even got a free ESA hat from the ESA media that just so happend to be at a resturant we were eating lunch at.  Now I'm back in MI and finishing moving out of my apt. LOL

Way to go to all who helped for a successful launch and you guys for the update, glad I stayed that extra day.... now....

Let there be light! (my view)

Offline aquarius

« Reply #126 on: 08/30/2009 04:41 pm »
What a spectacular shot!

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #127 on: 08/30/2009 05:44 pm »
I was thrilled to see her fly and I'm glad I extended my trip a day to see the launch from Banana Creek.  I was viewing right next to Mike Deep (part of my viewing party) who took some great photos.  It was also great to meet Tom (TNCMAXQ) and others at the viewing site as well.  It's great to share the moment with fellow enthusiasts.

I took some HD video that I plan on uploading in the next couple of days.  I viewed using 15x70 binoculars and the view was absolutely spectacular.  It was great to view such an amazing display of human ingenuity! 

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #128 on: 08/30/2009 09:09 pm »
What a thrill. I think it was more meaningful and emotional because of the previous delays. Meant a lot to me too since it was the 25th anniversary of Discovery's and my first launch. Not to mention the concern that this might be my last shuttle launch since there are so few missions remaining. It was great to meet David (Davidgojr,) Sarah (smith5se) and other folks down there.

Pardon my ignorance but how can I post some photos here? I still am not too good with this technical stuff. ;)

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #129 on: 08/30/2009 09:13 pm »
Glad you guys all got to meet each other. Sorry I couldn't meet up with you.  But, it WAS a gorgeous launch.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #130 on: 08/31/2009 12:09 am »

Pardon my ignorance but how can I post some photos here? I still am not too good with this technical stuff. ;)

Hit "Reply" at the bottom to pull up the full reply window and you can then attach them.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #131 on: 08/31/2009 02:14 am »

Hit "Reply" at the bottom to pull up the full reply window and you can then attach them.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it won't work. I am using the "attach" function below, hitting "browse" and finding the photo but it is not coming up in the body of the message.

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #132 on: 08/31/2009 02:18 am »

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it won't work. I am using the "attach" function below, hitting "browse" and finding the photo but it is not coming up in the body of the message.

How big are the files? If they are too big they will not upload I believe.
It's all in the data.

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #133 on: 08/31/2009 02:19 am »
1.4 MB it says. That too big?

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #134 on: 08/31/2009 02:23 am »

Yes I think that is too big, you can easily reduce them with Microsoft Picture Manager.
It's all in the data.

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #135 on: 08/31/2009 02:25 am »

Yes I think that is too big, you can easily reduce them with Microsoft Picture Manager.

I was able to email it with no problems. Does it have to be compressed in some way? I will check the camera software I guess. You can tell I don't do this too often.  ;)

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #136 on: 08/31/2009 02:26 am »

I was able to email it with no problems. Does it have to be compressed in some way? I will check the camera software I guess. You can tell I don't do this too often.  ;)

Before you compress any pictures, make coppies of them first so that you dont mess up the originals!
It's all in the data.

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #137 on: 08/31/2009 11:27 am »
Not sure if I can figure out how or want to spend the time trying.  ;) If anyone would like to see the good photo I took just after tower clear, let me know and I can email it.

Hail Discovery!

Offline tblessin

« Reply #138 on: 08/31/2009 03:48 pm »
Yes, a big thanks to Tom for getting the word out about the green tickets!

As to the comment about the small crowd-- they probably lost quite a few people in the confusion around the green tickets and even more so in not letting the tour bus companies running buses to the causeway like they normally do.  They also weren't willing to sell any causeway tickets on standby to people at the vc if there was ksc bus space left unused due to no shows....

Was my first launch and was well worth the scramble and the worry!!

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #139 on: 09/01/2009 03:51 am »
I just added a video I shot over on Youtube.  Please watch it and tell me what you think:

Be sure to double click on the video above and watch it in HD for maximum effect.  You can really really hear a pop when the SRBs ignite.  Also watch the clouds when Discovery passes through them!

I may add the full resolution video here on NSF if there is any interest.  I also have an extended version and shots of the entire Banana Creek V.I.P area as well.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2009 03:58 am by Davidgojr »

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #140 on: 09/01/2009 04:51 am »
Very impressive!  Would love to see the rest.

One note to others, there is a bit of language in the video.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #141 on: 09/01/2009 11:21 am »

I had the pleasure of meeting David shortly before liftoff and watched from the same area where he was taking this video. Thankfully I can say I am not the one who utters that expletive on the tape.  ;) I wonder if that might have been the same guy who was yelling and howling the whole time. I think everyone there was excited but he got a bit carried away and even drowned out the voice of the PAO. This did not detract from the experience but I just like to hear their commentary.

Seeing the video though sure brings back the memory of the other night, and keeps those stunning images fresh in my mind.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2009 11:22 am by TNCMAXQ »

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #142 on: 09/01/2009 03:40 pm »

Apologies for the brief language in the tape.  Someone nearby must have let their emotions get a bit ahead of them.  What an incredible experience the entire launch was!

Offline Davidgojr

• Texas
« Reply #143 on: 09/09/2009 12:03 am »
I found several other great videos on youtube that together with mine really captured the experience of viewing the launch at Banana Creek!  I thought I would share them below:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography