Author Topic: STS-133 refined to a five crew, one EVA mission – will leave MPLM on ISS  (Read 72143 times)

Offline simon-th

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
What about Node-1 nadir? It's not occupied and, as far as I'm aware, unobstructed.

That will be used for HTV and Dragon. 

Zenith is open, however.

You are talking about Node-2.

Node-1 nadir will be occupied by PMA-3

On another thread the following was posted some time ago (those ports which aren't available in any event are marked by strike-through):

Node 1 (6 ports)
: forward: Destiny Lab
: aft: Zarya
: zenith:blocked by Z1 Truss
: starboard: Quest
: port: Node 3 - which could be relocated to nadir if required
: nadir: PMA-3 - which could be relocated to port if required (?)

Node 2 (6 ports)
: forward: PMA-2
: aft: Destiny
: zenith: free
: starboard: Columbus
: port: Kibo
: nadir: free - but required for birthing of HTV/COTS vehicles

Node 3 (6 ports) (connected to Node 1 port option)
: starboard: Node 1
: port: free (blocked?)
: nadir: Cupola (?)
: forward: free - but disabled (and blocked)
: aft: free - but disabled (and blocked)
: zenith: free - but disabled (blocked?)
« Last Edit: 08/05/2009 01:20 pm by simon-th »

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
Some (un)informed discussion going on :)

Node 1 zenith is Z1 and stays this way.

I am not sure Node 3 zenith is blocked (maybe by SGANT), nor am I sure Node 3 forward is (maybe by truss camera). I am not even sure Node 3 aft is blocked (maybe by FGB solar arrays).

My bet is Node 1 nadir (with PMA-3 somewhere at Node-3) or Node 2 zenith, in this order.

Analyst

PS: With enough time a Node-3 CBM could be enabled.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2009 01:21 pm by Analyst »

Offline simon-th

Isn't Quest currently at Node-1 starboard? Although it's probably the same clearance issue, in terms of distance from the radiators.

Year, sorry. I meant Node-1 port which then would mean Node-3 starboard.

Offline simon-th

My bet is Node 1 nadir (with PMA-3 somewhere at Node-3) or Node 2 zenith, in this order.

Analyst

Isn't PMA-3 not only a spare but is going to also be used by Orion at some point for docking? If you relocate it to Node 3, could you do a docking to it?

Offline Analyst

Node 3 (6 ports) (connected to Node 1 port option)
: starboard: Node 1
: port: free (blocked?)
: nadir: Cupola (?)
: forward: free - but disabled (and blocked)
: aft: free - but disabled (and blocked)
: zenith: free - but disabled (blocked?)

Port is blocked for sure by radiators

As I said, not sure about the other three being blocked.

Analyst

Offline Analyst

Analyst

Isn't PMA-3 not only a spare but is going to also be used by Orion at some point for docking? If you relocate it to Node 3, could you do a docking to it?

No docking then. But with Orion flying somtimes beyond 2017 and likely never more than once at a time I don't worry much about it now.

Analyst

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 315
That's Phase II of weight reduction options. These that they just incorporated on Phase I. Were not at the point of ditching the SRBs in the Atlantic just yet.  The way I read the presentations was that these are item on the SRBs that they can live without on the final mission -- which is why I including the thing about the extension at the end of the article.
OIC, thanks for this info. So we are ending not with a bang, but a splash.

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 1
Thoroughly enjoyed this article.  I had questions about the actions planned for the SRB's, but they were answered above.  One other thing that I found interesting and didn't know was the ability to remove cryo and GN2 tanks to increase upmass, referring to the passage in the article; “the STS-133 orbiter will have its 5th cryo tank set removed, as well as its 6th Gaseous Nitrogen tank, during turn-around processing in its Orbiter Processing Facility.”  Fascinating.  I assume that this is feasible given the planned (shorter) duration of the mission.  Would I be correct in assuming that the “cryo tanks” refer to the LOX and LH2 fuel cell reactants?  And are the GN2 tanks referred to the tanks that store the N2 for the mixed-gas atmosphere or the N2 used to purge the OMS after OMS burns?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2009 03:42 pm by MarsMethanogen »

Offline C5C6

• Regular
  • Cσrdoba - Argentina
    • programaespacial.com
They should just put Tranquility on Unity nadir, Cupola on Tranquility forward, PMA-3 on Tranquility nadir and PLM on Tranquility aft...

I still don't get why they changed Tranquility from Unity nadir to port... it would be more symetrical for the ISS the first option...

Online brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
They should just put Tranquility on Unity nadir, Cupola on Tranquility forward, PMA-3 on Tranquility nadir and PLM on Tranquility aft...

I still don't get why they changed Tranquility from Unity nadir to port... it would be more symetrical for the ISS the first option...

I believe it was done because of a concern of proximity to the nadir Zarya port, even with the addition of the new Russian Mini Lab. 

Offline glanmor05

• BWFC Fan
  • It's not all tea and medals!
  • Blackpool, England
  • Liked: 28
Can I ask a really stupid one (be kind!)?  Why not:

Node 3 on Node 2 forward (instead of PMA 2)

PMA2 then on what will be Node 3 forward

Cupola on what will be Node 3 Nadir.

PLM on what willl be Node 3 Zenith.

PMA 3 stays where it is.

Potential problems that I can think of (sure you'll all help me with more).  Cupola too far away to sensibly monitor Russian dockings.  Also (can't do the 3D visualisation but...) may require enabling of one of Node 3's CBMs.

Edit:  HTV and arm clearance and does an inbalance (length wise) about the truss matter?
« Last Edit: 08/05/2009 07:05 pm by glanmor05 »
"Through struggles, to the stars."

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
 They may not have considered the biggest advantage of Node 2 zenith. It would make my ISS model look more accurate since I still have the CAM there.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Thoroughly enjoyed this article.  I had questions about the actions planned for the SRB's, but they were answered above.  One other thing that I found interesting and didn't know was the ability to remove cryo and GN2 tanks to increase upmass, referring to the passage in the article; “the STS-133 orbiter will have its 5th cryo tank set removed, as well as its 6th Gaseous Nitrogen tank, during turn-around processing in its Orbiter Processing Facility.”  Fascinating.  I assume that this is feasible given the planned (shorter) duration of the mission.  Would I be correct in assuming that the “cryo tanks” refer to the LOX and LH2 fuel cell reactants?  And are the GN2 tanks referred to the tanks that store the N2 for the mixed-gas atmosphere or the N2 used to purge the OMS after OMS burns?  Thanks.

correct.

It is atmospheric N2.    They also can go down to 3 cryo tank sets.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67

Node 3 umbilicals run to Node 1 and are not long enough to reach Node 2. Could be extended but would be pain in ass. Running out of time (L-6 months) for major changes. Node 3 to Node 2 option would have to show significant benefits to justify this and it does not.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2009 07:16 pm by Jorge »
JRF

Offline glanmor05

• BWFC Fan
  • It's not all tea and medals!
  • Blackpool, England
  • Liked: 28

Node 3 umbilicals run to Node 1 and are not long enough to reach Node 2. Could be extended but would be pain in ass. Running out of time (L-6 months) for major changes. Node 3 to Node 2 option would have to show significant benefits to justify this and it does not.

Thanks, that sounds sensible.  Never mind, just a thought.
"Through struggles, to the stars."

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Great article Chris G.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
Is that a replacement radiator to the left and behind the cupola?

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
It sure has the look of one, doesn't it?
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692

That's a good catch Ron...looks like it too. I know they were working on it, so I guess they finished it (I think it was re-work to an existing one, not a new unit).

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
This is my first post here in ages. I just wanted to say that I really hope they decide to refit Donatello, as otherwise that module will be a complete waste of money. Seeing as it's more advanced than the other two, and it hasn't been in space before, it makes sense that this should be part of the ISS.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography