Author Topic: Space related on-line courses?  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Roo

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Space related on-line courses?
« on: 06/10/2009 04:16 pm »
Dear all,

Would any of you have any idea if there are any reputable courses to gain qualifications in space 'engineering' or a related topic that are available for distance learning (on-line etc)?

I was at University here in the UK a while back doing a course that would have lead to a degree in Astronautics, but because of the crippling finances I had to withdraw at the end of the first year.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Yours,

Roo.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Re: Space related on-line courses?
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/2009 06:28 pm »
Most of the universities near NASA Centers have good online programs (U of Alabama-Huntsville, U of Houston-Clear Lake, Florida Inst of Tech).  Also U of Colorado.  Seems like U of Tennessee has an Aerospace Business certificate as well.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline patmamu

• Eastern Shore Maryland
« Reply #2 on: 06/10/2009 09:44 pm »
Not a true engineering degree but apus has a BA and MA in space studies. Teachers are pretty good and the price is cheap 750 a class, no tuition, books free for undergrads, and fully acredited and fasfa accepted. They have a online library with subscriptions to many publications and a link to NSF. There is a tour on there website if intrested.

http://www.apus.edu/index.htm

Also I am only a second year student starting my core courses now but they do have some good teachers. Here is the bio of one for the first class intro to space studies.

MS,  Space Studies,  University of North Dakota,  1998
Biography   Katie Berryhill earned a bachelor's in astronomy and astrophysics with a concentration in American history from the University of Pennsylvania and a master's in space studies from the University of North Dakota. She is a planetarium educator and coordinator of the Morrison Planetarium's Benjamin Dean Astronomy Lecture Series at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. She is also a NASA Solar System Ambassador, conducting volunteer public education and outreach events in support of NASA's astronomical and Earth sciences spacecraft. Professor Berryhill was a U.S. Air Force intelligence officer, serving on active duty in Strategic Air Command and as a reservist in Air Mobility Command. She and her husband, Jon, own and operate a computer forensics analysis and consulting company.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2009 09:48 pm by patmamu »

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2009 10:25 pm »
I'm familiar with Columbia's distance learning program, as I took a couple of mechanical engineering grad courses back in the day...

www.cvn.columbia.edu

There are a growing number of universities offering similar programs these days if that's the route you wish to take, but probably not as much at the undergrad level.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2009 10:53 pm by vt_hokie »

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #4 on: 06/10/2009 10:51 pm »
Not really the kind of course you're looking for, but you and others might find it interesting anyhow.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Aeronautics-and-Astronautics/16-885JFall-2005/LectureNotes/index.htm

Plenty else to be found from there.

Offline PDJennings

• Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2009 11:49 pm »
Would any of you have any idea if there are any reputable courses to gain qualifications in space 'engineering' or a related topic that are available for distance learning (on-line etc)?

I have found the AIAA correspondence courses with Charlie Brown to be worthwhile.  He had orbital mechanics, propulsion, and elements of spacecraft design.  Looking at the AIAA web site, it doesn't look like they are offered any more.  But you could probably get his books and work the problems, if you wanted.  You ended up with a 20 or 30 page design presentation on your own planetary spacecraft at the end of the course.  It gave an interesting perspective.

Offline DirtyDeeds

• Wilmington, NC
« Reply #6 on: 06/11/2009 04:52 am »
Not really the kind of course you're looking for, but you and others might find it interesting anyhow.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Aeronautics-and-Astronautics/16-885JFall-2005/LectureNotes/index.htm

Plenty else to be found from there.

God I love MIT and Youtube. I'm gonna have loads of fun with this. Thanks for posting this.

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #7 on: 02/17/2016 11:55 am »
Some MOOCs:

- Space Mission Design and Operations: https://www.edx.org/course/space-mission-design-operations-epflx-ee585x
  (Starts on February 24, 2016)

- Astrophysics: Exploring Exoplanets: https://www.edx.org/course/astrophysics-exploring-exoplanets-anux-anu-astro2x-0
  (Self-Paced)

- Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy: https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-solar-systems-astronomy-asux-ast111x-0
  (Starts on March 14, 2016)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography