Author Topic: Canada as a partner on Orion  (Read 1899 times)

Offline aldelphi

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Canada as a partner on Orion
« on: 03/18/2009 07:18 PM »

Looks like Canada wants to get in on the Orion project in a similar way they helped with the Shuttle and Space Station projects.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/090318-tw-canada-orion-robotarm.html

So many other countries have now expressed interest in going to the moon (Russian, Europe, China, India, Japan).  Should the U.S. attempt to work more closely with these other countries or only consider them for noncritical areas?  If Japan or Europe build their own man rated vehicles they will be more unwilling to simply be playing second fiddle to NASA.  We could find ourselves in a situation where we have many ways to get people to orbit but no way to get them to the moon or beyond.

Offline I14R10

• Mars Terraformer
  • Croatia
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Canada as a partner on Orion
« Reply #1 on: 03/19/2009 01:01 PM »
I believe that if we all worked together, we could go to the Moon in under 10 years. So, what you'll end up with is 6 or 7 countries all stuck in Earth's orbit.
"In memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice so others could reach for the stars"

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 610
  • Likes Given: 1007
« Reply #2 on: 03/20/2009 01:59 PM »
With the surplus lifting capability that Ares 1 has this seems like a great idea.  (Sarcasm off)

As a Canadian I like the idea, but I don't see it.

With the weight problems that Ares 1 and therefore Orion are having I don't see it.

They had to change the high gain antenna because of weight issues.  Adding an arm and all the support systems it requires is a long way off.
Excited to be finally into the first Falcon Heavy flow, we are getting so close!

Offline Spacenick

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: 03/20/2009 03:31 PM »
why don't build a flexible mission module for Orion LEO missions, that could be launched atop another launcher and then dock with an Orion in LEO, it could be designed to have a minimal attitude system making it capable to function as a passive docking target for Orion. Then it could provide Orion with a robotic arm, additional living space, airlock functionality and all this combined with reusability. If designing it with APAS on one end and LIDS on the other it could  also serve as the docking converter for ISS.
It's mission profile could look like this:
- launch on some launcher into a near ISS Orbit
- dock with Orion and go to ISS with it
 then it could stay on ISS as a Station add on with the capability to undock it at any time for contingencies or as a flexible system in case Orion gets stuck in LEO

This would give Orion the flexibility itself lags (whcih is needed because of the chance it is stuck in LEO for a long time just as Soyuz is today (which was also designed for lunar missions in the first place))
With it's robotic arm and it's reusability it would also be great for any unforseen tasks, like keeping Hubble from smashing into any habitated area.

I think that such a spacecraft could be designed with a huge life time in mind, I don't know whether cold gas thrusters are enough for an attitude system used only for making it a passive docking target, but if they are there would be very little in the way of nearly endless reusability, those thrusters could also easily be refueled for example by using cartridges for the nitrogen.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10375
  • Likes Given: 316
« Reply #4 on: 03/20/2009 04:11 PM »
why don't build a flexible mission module for Orion LEO missions, that could be launched atop another launcher and then dock with an Orion in LEO, it could be designed to have a minimal attitude system making it capable to function as a passive docking target for Orion. Then it could provide Orion with a robotic arm, additional living space, airlock functionality and all this combined with reusability. If designing it with APAS on one end and LIDS on the other it could  also serve as the docking converter for ISS.
It's mission profile could look like this:
- launch on some launcher into a near ISS Orbit
- dock with Orion and go to ISS with it
 then it could stay on ISS as a Station add on with the capability to undock it at any time for contingencies or as a flexible system in case Orion gets stuck in LEO

This would give Orion the flexibility itself lags (whcih is needed because of the chance it is stuck in LEO for a long time j

Why?  It doesn't need it.  The "mission modules" are the ISS and LSAM.  There is no need for Orion to do anything else in LEO.  The shuttle paradigm is not needed.  No need for an arm, no need for an airlock.

your module would be especially useless at the ISS.  There is nothing in the ISS orbit except for the ISS.    Most spacecraft don't go to LEO or orbits reachable by the Orion

Mission module discussions
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=11987.0

Another relevant thread
How to build the current ISS without a shuttle

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=11968.0

« Last Edit: 03/20/2009 04:27 PM by Jim »

Tags: