Author Topic: LIVE: Ariane 5 ECA launch - Türksat 3A and Skynet 5C - June 12  (Read 81493 times)

Offline Felix

• Expert
  • Europe.GER.bw
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
congrats to Arianespace

Offline satlaunch

• Liked: 1
June 12, 2008

Ariane 5 scores a record-setting success as it launches Skynet 5C and Turksat 3A

Ariane 5's on-target launch with Skynet 5C and Turksat 3A tonight marked numerous key milestones for this workhorse Arianespace vehicle.

The flight was Ariane 5's 25th consecutive commercial success, confirming its role as the commercial launcher of reference for satellite operators and manufacturers worldwide. In addition, Skynet 5C was the 30th military payload orbited by Arianespace, while Turksat 3A represented the 53rd Thales Alenia Space-built satellite lofted by an Ariane.

During tonight’s mission, a tracking camera followed the launcher’s initial climb-out and ascent during the live video broadcast on www.arianespace.com, providing remarkable views of the two solid rocket boosters’ separation two minutes into the mission, followed by the jettisoning of Ariane 5’s protective payload fairing approximately 1 minute later.

Ariane 5 deployed Skynet 5C first, releasing the spacecraft approximately 27 minutes after liftoff. This 4,640-kg. satellite was built by EADS Astrium using the Eurostar 3000 platform, and it will be positioned at 17.8 degrees West.

Skynet 5C was the third satellite launched by Arianespace for U.K.-based Paradigm, following the Skynet 5A and 5B payloads orbited in March and November of 2007. The Skynet 5-series platforms deliver resilient, survivable and secure communications for military and government users, carrying hardened Ultra High and Super High Frequency (UHF/SHF) payloads that operate with multiple, steerable spot beams.

Turksat 3A was deployed from the Ariane 5 at about 32 minutes into tonight's mission. It will be utilized by Ankara-based Turksat to provide telecommunication services and direct TV broadcasting for Turkey, Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and Central Asia. The 3,110 kg. payload is based on Thales Alenia Space's Spacebus 4000B2 spacecraft design, and carries 24 Ku-band transponders. Turksat 3A's operational orbital slot is 42 deg. East.

This successful Ariane 5 mission was the third of seven flights planned in 2008 by Arianespace -- the most active year since the launcher's commercial introduction in 1999. Arianespace's initial flight of 2008 was conducted on March 9, when an Ariane 5 ES launcher version orbited the first Automated Transfer Vehicle for servicing of the International Space Station. It was followed by an Ariane 5 ECA heavy-lift flight on April 18 that carried Star One C2 and VINASAT-1.

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-508.html (with photo)

Offline catfry

• Liked: 6
During tonight’s mission, a tracking camera followed the launcher’s initial climb-out and ascent during the live video broadcast on www.arianespace.com, providing remarkable views of the two solid rocket boosters’ separation two minutes into the mission, followed by the jettisoning of Ariane 5’s protective payload fairing approximately 1 minute later.

Aha! So I was right that this was new. Otherwise why mention it?

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
Ariane 5 scores a record-setting success as it launches Skynet 5C and Turksat 3A

How, exactly, are they setting a record? Delta II is currently sitting at 81 consecutive successful launches. I think Atlas had more before the failure last year.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Ariane 5 - Another successful dual-payload launch

Yesterday evening, an Ariane 5 ECA launcher lifted off from Europe's Spaceport at Kourou, in French Guiana, on its mission to place two telecommunications satellites into geostationary transfer orbits.

Read the full story here.
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMV44VG3HF_index_0.html
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Kourou, June 12, 2008

Successful dual launch for Arianespace:
Skynet 5C and Turksat 3A in orbit; 25th successful launch in a row for Ariane 5

On Thursday evening, June 12, Arianespace boosted two satellites into geostationary transfer orbit (GTO): the Skynet 5C military communications satellite for Astrium and Paradigm on behalf of the British Ministry of Defence (MoD), and the civil communications satellite Turksat 3A for Turkish operator Turksat AS, as part of a turnkey contract with Thales Alenia Space.

25th success in a row for Ariane 5

The latest successful launch of an Ariane 5, the third in 2008 – and 25th in a row – confirms that Arianespace's launch Service & Solutions continue to set the standard for all civil and military telecom operators. It also reflects the strategic importance of the Ariane launcher, which guarantees independent access to space for European governments.

Ariane 5 is the only commercial launcher in service today capable of simultaneously launching two payloads, and gives Arianespace customers unrivaled performance, flexibility and competitiveness.

Serving military and civil communications operators

Skynet 5C is the 30th military payload to choose Ariane. Arianespace has already orbited 6 Skynet satellites for the British MoD and NATO including the Astrium built Skynet 5A and 5B launched in 2007 and which are both operational.

Turksat 3A is the fifth Turkish satellite to be launched by Arianespace. Arianespace has established relations of mutual trust with Turksat and Thales Alenia Space that reach back many years, and has launched nearly two-thirds of the satellites made by Thales Alenia Space. Turksat 3A will be the 53rd platform built by Thales Alenia Space to be launched by Arianespace.

Skynet 5C/Turksat 3A mission at a glance

The mission was carried out by an Ariane 5 ECA launcher from Europe's Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana. Liftoff was on Thursday, June 12, at 7:05 pm local time in Kourou (6:05 pm in Washington, D.C., 22:05 UT and 12:05 am in Paris on Friday, June 13, and at 01:05 am in Ankara).

Provisional parameters at injection of the cryogenic upper stage (ESC-A) were:
Perigee: 250.0 km for a target of 249.7 km (±4)
Apogee: 35,932 km for a target of 35,929 km (±240)
Inclination: 2.00 degrees for a target of 1.99 degrees (±0.06°)

Skynet 5C was launched on behalf of Astrium, which in turn delivers the satellite in orbit to Paradigm, a private sector company. Paradigm will provide secure telecom services to the British armed forces, NATO and other countries which already use the Skynet military communications satellites, including Skynet 5A and 5B. Built by Astrium using a Eurostar 3000 platform, Skynet 5C weighed 4,638 kg at launch. It will be positioned at 17.8 degrees West.

Turksat 3A was built by Thales Alenia Space using a Spacebus 4000B2 platform, within the scope of a turnkey contract awarded by operator Turksat AS. Weighing 3,110 kg at launch, it will be positioned at 42 degrees East. Fitted with 24 Ku-band transponders, and offering beginning-of-life power of about 8 kW, Turksat 3A will enable the operator Turksat to deliver communications services as well as TV broadcasts in Europe, Turkey and Central Asia.
Jacques :-)

Offline satlaunch

Is there any telemetry data about Turksat 3A's current position?.. or any link about it?
« Last Edit: 06/13/2008 08:20 am by SNS »

Offline Nick L.

• Elite Veteran
  • A unique little aerospace company
  • Likes Given: 4

How, exactly, are they setting a record? Delta II is currently sitting at 81 consecutive successful launches. I think Atlas had more before the failure last year.

Perhaps they are referring to their goal of launching 7 Arianes this year (which would be a record for them); this latest launch helps set that.
"Now you may leave here for four days in space, but when you return it's the same old place..."

Offline Spiff

• Veteran
  • Utrecht - The Netherlands
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 3
I noticed something about the Ariane 5 that was launched yesterday. It was a blueish colour, and it had a slight bulge just below the payload fairing. I couldn't remember ever seeing that before, so I checked back a few launches. It seems that both things are relatively new and appear only the last few launches (but not always).

Question:
Is this part of some minor upgrade of the Ariane 5? If so, what exactly is the upgrade and what does it bring?

Anybody who knows? Thanks in advance!
Spiff
I always consider space to be the FIRST frontier.

Offline eeergo

25th success in a row, that's also a record (well, more of a milestone for them than a record, but nevertheless worth noting)

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/news_sub_missionupdate_index3.html
-DaviD-

Offline Mighty-T

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 16
I noticed something about the Ariane 5 that was launched yesterday. It was a blueish colour, and it had a slight bulge just below the payload fairing. I couldn't remember ever seeing that before, so I checked back a few launches. It seems that both things are relatively new and appear only the last few launches (but not always).

Question:
Is this part of some minor upgrade of the Ariane 5? If so, what exactly is the upgrade and what does it bring?

Anybody who knows? Thanks in advance!
Spiff

Hi Spiff! I'm not sure, however, I think you are referring to the exterior thermal insulation on the ESC-A upper stage. Recently they changed the final coating of the foam from some "mustard"-like color to light blueish (also on the main stage). You can easily see the difference if you compare to older pics.

Not all Ariane launches use the ESC-A upper stage. Some use the EPS, as it was the case for this year's first launch with ATV. The EPS is a storable propellant stage, thus it needs no thermal insulation.

Cheers!

Offline Spiff

• Veteran
  • Utrecht - The Netherlands
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 3
Yes, that is the colour change I mean. Thanks for the explanation. Is this coating better/cheaper/faster/whatever in any way?

I understand that the EPS doesn't require thermal insulation. This is probably also true for the GS version?

Thanks for your answer!
Spiff
I always consider space to be the FIRST frontier.

Offline catfry

I understand that the EPS doesn't require thermal insulation. This is probably also true for the GS version?

I seem to remember having read that the GS version EPS is modified to mitigate temperature changes during the long coast phase, but don't know the details.

Offline satlaunch

Still, there is no public info about the orbit of Turksat-3A and Skynet-5C.

N2YO.com - Doesn't exist any info  :(

Offline osiossim

• Liked: 12
Is there any telemetry data about Turksat 3A's current position?.. or any link about it?

T3A is in 31.3 E orbital position for IOT. After succesfull IOT procedures, the bird will moved to 42 E.
« Last Edit: 06/18/2008 09:57 am by osiossim »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography