Author Topic: STS-125 Atlantis: Viewing (Going to the Launch etc.)  (Read 218736 times)

Online Chris Bergin

People seem to be booking their spots for this one already, so here's the associated thread.
« Last Edit: 05/22/2009 09:33 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
Was going to see this one but timing was a bit off for me so STS-126 is the one for me now. Still a ways out, but planning already :)

Offline Steve B

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I'm planning (or hoping I should say) to see the STS-125 launch. I'm going to be in the US (from the UK) for the last few weeks of August for a number of reasons anyway, so though it's not a special trip I would of course love to see the launch (could make the orig 7th Aug or 28th, but need to return by Sep 1st). So it's a long shot I know, but will keep fingers-crossed things will be in place for a workable August 28th target date.

However, any kind of firm schedule for 125 seems eons away, first off we must see a successful STS-123 mission, and I'll be keeping an eye on the LON (STS-400) progress. This is a superb site for keeping up-to-date, thanks Chris for starting this dedicated thread.

I guess it's extremely unlikely a turn of events could lead to the revisiting of an early Aug launch target? - could anyone clarify from past experience?

I see a few others here are planning a trip from the UK to see the launch for this exciting mission - it certainly can be difficult trying to balance booking flights [the earlier the cheaper], with hotels, viewing arrangements etc, with changes in launch dates! ...But whether I can see the launch or not it's certainly going to be a very interesting mission to follow.  ;)

Offline ANDY_WALLACEGROVE

Thanks Chris,
I've been itching in my seat for this one. Can anyone please advise as to how I could get tickets for site access (whilst doing KSC tour last year they mentioned this was a possibility).

Also, does KSC close to the public at times leading up to the launch?  I'm pragmatic enough to know that chance of seeing launch is slim, but if I could get to see the two on pads that would be a great consolation.  
Thanks all   :)
To my friends I am geek, to you I am humble

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
I also planning a trip to KSC (Florida) to see this one launch..taking 4 weeks off from work to go to Florida, hoping to see the real thing...

I have a question, how long before launch (days) do bus tours at KSC that go to pad 39A and 39B stop...

As I understand it there are two bus tours (??) one that goes to pad A and one tat goes to pad B  (Is that right?) Do you have a good view of the Shuttle on the launch pad while taking the bus tour ??

Thanks
Jacques :-)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
jacqmans - 22/2/2008  8:48 AM
Do you have a good view of the Shuttle on the launch pad while taking the bus tour ??

Thanks

It is covered by the RSS

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Jim - 22/2/2008  3:22 PM

It is covered by the RSS

I know that, but what I mean is, can you see that...or does the bus stop at such a distance that you only see a dot on the horizon...

Jacques :-)

Offline ANDY_WALLACEGROVE

Jacques,
From memory you get close enough (to the pad) that with a reasonable lens (300mm) you can get good viz and pics.  The tour is well worth it, especially as you get to stand in the shadow of the VAB.  Awesome.  If you're interested I can forward some shots taken during the tour and you can judge for yourself.
To my friends I am geek, to you I am humble

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
jacqmans - 22/2/2008  9:35 AM

Jim - 22/2/2008  3:22 PM

It is covered by the RSS

I know that, but what I mean is, can you see that...or does the bus stop at such a distance that you only see a dot on the horizon...

The "Up close" tour will drive you along side the crawlerway(and in our case by a parked crawler) and drive right by the pad that's not in use(39B).. even have close up pictures of the flame chutes out the side.. also gets you to a viewing point half way between the pads(out by the ocean) that allows for decent shots of Pad39A and the shuttle stack if there's one on 39A.  From that angle and with the RSS in place you don't get a good view of the shuttle itself.

Offline Hans_ACS

I am planning to travel to FL aswell this summer to watch the launch of the special flight. It will be my first live launch :)

I'm looking forward to it !

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
I hope I can go. I should start planning now though of course the date could change. If launch remains on track for the 9 pm hour of Aug. 28 I think it will get less coverage than any launch in recent memory. That is about the time at which the Democrat candidate for president will be making his/her acceptance speech. One way or the other it's going to be an historic event. I wonder if the cable networks will even show the launch live. That's bad timing. ;)

Offline shuttlepilot

• Regular
  • nearby Warsaw, Poland
I'm going to view this launch if it moves to October (if not, I'll be there for STS-126). I hope we will know soon it will move to October or not, as I don't know for what time I should reserve everything and get the visa - you know, I have to queue and fight with those retards at the American Embassy, it's just outrageous that nation which do EVERYTHING what americans want don't have visa-free access to the U.S.! I hope it will change after election.

Check this: - Wojciech Cejrowski is right as always. He's very controversial and eccentric, but he's incredibly intelligent, and he's one of the best travelers nowadays :)

Offline makims

shuttlepilot - 2/4/2008  10:45 AM

I'm going to view this launch if it moves to October (if not, I'll be there for STS-126). I hope we will know soon it will move to October or not, as I don't know for what time I should reserve everything and get the visa - you know, I have to queue and fight with those retards at the American Embassy, it's just outrageous that nation which do EVERYTHING what americans want don't have visa-free access to the U.S.! I hope it will change after election.

Me too if launch to be moved to October,which now is almost sure.How many folks travel with You?You know what I mean :cool: Is visa case I agreed 100%

Offline shuttlepilot

• Regular
  • nearby Warsaw, Poland
My family (5 people including me), it's typical out of season vacation on Florida, but main goal is to see shuttle launch, because together with my father we are spaceflight-crazy guys :) I hope to get tickets for Causeway launch viewing, but it isn't going to be easy - it takes few minutes before they're sold out.

And now, according to Chris Bergin's article, STS-125 is scheduled for October 8.

Has a launch window been designated for this flight yet?  Even an approximate one?

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7691
I've had my fincgers crossed for years to see a shuttle launch. I first saw Enterprise on its 747 when it travelled to Ottawa when I lived there. Been a fan ever since. Now that I'm in Nova Scotia, the hope is to drive there, enjoy the "lunch with an astronaut" with Story Musgrave, and burn through many rolls of film.

Glad to hear a 300mm lens works. I have that, a doubler, and (before I go) a 1.4x extender.

Does anyone know if booking a ticket with KSC is better than other advertised sites? Of course with a car, I can stop along the road, but I'm sure it's insanely busy.

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jeff2space

• P.E.
  • Wisconsin
I've seen two ISS shuttle launches from the NASA Causeway.  Thinking about making the trip to see STS-125 launch to Hubble.  Anyone know if you can see the difference in launches between an inclination of 28.5 for Hubble as compared to 51.6 for ISS?

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
jeff2space - 30/4/2008  8:49 PM

I've seen two ISS shuttle launches from the NASA Causeway.  Thinking about making the trip to see STS-125 launch to Hubble.  Anyone know if you can see the difference in launches between an inclination of 28.5 for Hubble as compared to 51.6 for ISS?
You can.

Offline shuttlepilot

• Regular
  • nearby Warsaw, Poland
Looks like it will be closer to you in down range during ascent. I will be trying to get causeway tickets too, but it's probably one of the most difficult things to buy all over the world :bleh:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography