Author Topic: Iranian Space  (Read 836751 times)

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
RE: Iranian Space
« Reply #20 on: 02/18/2008 07:53 am »
Strato - 18/2/2008  1:49 AM
"The third section of the rocket, which contained the probe, was sent towards orbit."

That makes it sound as if it was an orbital attempt which failed.

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1154
RE: Iranian Space
« Reply #21 on: 02/18/2008 09:45 am »
GW_Simulations - 18/2/2008  2:53 AM

Strato - 18/2/2008  1:49 AM
"The third section of the rocket, which contained the probe, was sent towards orbit."

That makes it sound as if it was an orbital attempt which failed.

humm, or should we say 'orbital altitude'?

Offline eeergo

RE: "Iran says its space probe sending data to earth"
« Reply #22 on: 02/18/2008 10:06 am »

osiossim - 18/2/2008 9:32 AM http://www.spacedaily.com/2006/080217120550.dcvxaqkt.html http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=43484§ionid=351020101 "eeergo", are you still sure that Omid will send to space next year? If yes, what are they talking about now?

I -obviously- am not an insider in Iran's space program, nor do I have privileged information (the same applies to any other space program, for that matter) So I'm no, I'm not sure and I rarely am.

That said, I was basing my report on what some sources, like Nature, said about launching Omid next year. I doubt this, or any other date at this stage, should be taken too seriously, as they probably are facing a lot of difficulties and the program must be quite secret.

But the articles you link to are... well, sloppy at best. In the SpaceDaily article, they say this rocket actually carried a satellite (as reported in other places), which as other people have said, should be easily verified by any tracking station. I find it a bit suspicious that they have waited so much to tell this, but maybe they wanted to be completely sure they had succeeded before announcing anything. But then, they say the satellite "is predicted to be launching this summer" (what? didn't they say it was in orbit? were they referring to Omid? if so, and they want to launch 2 other rockets first, I find it a bit hurried to be true) Then, they state the Kavoshgar probe is returning to Earth (obviously, but is it returning in one piece? has it returned already (ballistic) and this is just a mistranslation?) This is all very muddy, and I think half of it is propaganda. If they had achieved an orbital launch they would have said it much louder and less confusingly. Of course, I could be completely wrong. But these articles are awful journalism, not clear at all.

-DaviD-

Offline Jirka Dlouhy

• Veteran
  • Kladno, Czech Republic
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Iranian Space
« Reply #23 on: 02/18/2008 10:31 am »
Problem with year of lauch is by me in definition our year and in definition Iranian year. By Iranian year it will be next year, by our this year.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #24 on: 02/18/2008 02:21 pm »
Jirka Dlouhy - 18/2/2008  6:31 AM

Problem with year of lauch is by me in definition our year and in definition Iranian year. By Iranian year it will be next year, by our this year.

I think there are several translation problems with all the articles.

The source went from the Irians who pushed the button to an Irian press release to translation to the western press... I think several things are mumbled at each stage. It is quite possible that the iranian press got things wrong. How often do we find the western press writes space stories that are really bad on space?

I read, 200km ish suborbital

the 650km flight may also be a suborbital flight... or it may be a launch attempt... Who knows, that will be Ted Molczan's job ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #25 on: 03/07/2008 05:29 pm »
AV Week recently had a blurb about how a sounding rocket was launched after the failure of a bigger missile. Something having to do with smoke trails IIRC.

Offline Spirit

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: "Iran says its space probe sending data to earth"
« Reply #26 on: 03/31/2008 07:10 pm »
I think that somebody does not know when and how to use the words "space", "orbit" and "suborbital". For example most of the space-ignorant people that I know think "reached space" and "reached orbit" are synonyms.
Regards,
Atanas

Offline Jirka Dlouhy

• Veteran
  • Kladno, Czech Republic
« Reply #27 on: 04/12/2008 08:27 pm »
Do you know, please, what happened with Mesbah satellite which was built by Carlo Gavazzi Space?

Offline Jirka Dlouhy

• Veteran
  • Kladno, Czech Republic
« Reply #28 on: 04/13/2008 07:51 pm »

Offline Jirka Dlouhy

• Veteran
  • Kladno, Czech Republic
« Reply #29 on: 06/29/2008 07:44 am »
Please, does have somebody informations about Mesbah satellite?

According to elder informations shall Omid satellite launched in june 2008. Do you have any news?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #30 on: 07/10/2008 01:47 am »
Please, does have somebody informations about Mesbah satellite?

According to elder informations shall Omid satellite launched in june 2008. Do you have any news?

From 2006:

Offline satcomuk

« Reply #31 on: 08/18/2008 11:50 am »
This morning Al-Alam TV is showing archive footage of the president's visit to the new space complex earlier in the year.

In vision is the "Hope" satellite , with front panel open , plus , on the wall is a chart showing the launchers and their payloads.

Al Jazeera reports Iran launches "Satellite capable " rocket

It looks like the press are settling down to the idea that yesterday's launch did not carry a payload into orbit.

Offline satcomuk

« Reply #32 on: 08/18/2008 01:17 pm »
I'm not sure if eeergo was refering to the videos on my site or elsewhere , but the ones I have put up , from IRINN and now the latest from Al-Alam ( showing the Hope satellite and also details of other launchers and payloads) are at

http://satcom.website.orange.co.uk/   click the "recent Obs" tag.

I'm afraid as they are flash format , all start to play at the same time , so best way to view is stop two whilst the third plays through ... and so on

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #33 on: 08/18/2008 03:47 pm »
There have been three Iranian "space" launches announced by Iran. 

The first was in February 2007.  It turned out to be a single-stage Shahab 3B IRBM, looking essentially unchanged from a standard IRBM.  Shahab 3B is based on North Korea's Nodong missile.

The second launch was on February 4, 2008.  It also appeared to be a single stage Shahab 3B, but probably one carrying modifications.  This flight was launched from a new launch site located about 230 km southeast of Tehran.

The third launch, on August 17, 2008, differs from the first two in an important way.  This rocket appeared to have a new second stage - a stage that does not appear to be related to North Korea's Taepodong 1 design, which used a modified Scud as a second stage.  The most important question about this launch is this - did the second stage, the first of its kind developed by Iran, work?

I think that what we are seeing is a progressive development and testing effort.  The ultimate plan appears to be to put a small solid motor third stage and satellite on top of the August 17 launcher. 

Such a launch vehicle could also be used to test guidance and reentry techniques for more powerful ICBMs.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 08/18/2008 04:09 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline abehnam

• Regular
« Reply #34 on: 08/21/2008 03:38 am »
Any ideas as to whether the Iranian program will be getting advice or some design assistance from Russia or China? 

Much of the Iranian built military weaponry is derived from Russian or Chinese designs (and previously some North Korean missile tech that has already been mentioned here) so it would be interesting to see if gradually the Safir starts to gets some redesigning that may start to resemble LVs from one of their neighbors.

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #35 on: 08/21/2008 04:12 pm »
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/20/content_9559952.htm

Iran ... to launch a manned spacecraft in 10 years?!??

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #36 on: 08/21/2008 04:37 pm »
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/20/content_9559952.htm

Iran ... to launch a manned spacecraft in 10 years?!??

Did they say anything about bringing them back alive? Or is this a one way trip to heaven?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline satcomuk

« Reply #37 on: 08/24/2008 09:28 am »
IRINN

"Iran prepares to launch satellite into space"

I suspect it may happen later today......perhaps......maybe !

john

Offline Sith

• Bulgaria, EU
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #38 on: 09/18/2008 09:42 pm »
How much time do the need to prepare and launch a manned rocket with at least one person on board ?

Offline Rusty_Barton

• "Hello, world!"
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #39 on: 09/18/2008 10:08 pm »
How much time do the need to prepare and launch a manned rocket with at least one person on board ?

China took at least 4 years from Shenzhou 1 (Nov 1999) until the manned Shenzhou 5 (Oct 2003) mission. China's manned program started in 1992 according to Wikipedia.

America's Project Mercury took 3 years to launch an astronaut into orbit (Feb 6, 1959 - Prime contractor chosen  until Feb 20, 1962  - John Glenn launched into orbit).

The Soviet Vostok program took about 2 years from final authorization until Yuri Gagarin was launched into orbit. (Vostok's final production authorization took place in May 1959 and Gagarin was launched into orbit in April 1961).
« Last Edit: 09/18/2008 10:29 pm by Rusty_Barton »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography