Author Topic: You Know You're A Space Geek When...  (Read 311265 times)

Offline ksc_houston

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: You Know You're A Space Geek When...
« Reply #40 on: 10/22/2007 01:07 PM »

* When you go home from school  to watch STS-120 launch live

* When you fill a wall with shuttle mission patches and with photos of all 5 shuttles

* When you check nasa.gov and NSF several times a day

* When you watch NASA TV almost always  :)

* When you make a shuttle model

* When you make a digital timer controlled by the PC to simulate a real shuttle countdown...currently T-11 Hrs and holding..  :cool:

"Negative return!"

Offline brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 93
Re: You Know You're A Space Geek When...
« Reply #41 on: 10/22/2007 01:33 PM »
* You begged you mom to bring home space shuttle mission write ups from the school board because you had memorized the World Book Encyclopedia space section already ( for you kiddies, the encyclopedia was all we had to learn from before the internet ).

* When you launch the Firefox browser, NSF is one the tabs that launch.  

* You leave work early to watch the installation of solar arrays on ISS ( you should have seen the look the boss gave me when I told him why I wanted to leave early ).

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #42 on: 10/22/2007 01:38 PM »
* when you find yourself doubled over, with the phone off the hook, during the final 30 minutes towards launch.

* when the wife asks to use the computer and has to go via NASASpaceFlight on the first page of the browser.

* when you realize you need to buy one of those external hard drives to keep up with what goes on L2  :cool:

Offline Celeritas

« Reply #43 on: 10/22/2007 01:52 PM »
When, after reading the other posts on this thread, you realize with a profound sense of disappointment that you are not as big a space geek as you thought you were.  :(

. . . And you resolve to be a much bigger space geek in the future.   :)

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #44 on: 10/22/2007 01:54 PM »
When you do a double take seeing someone wearing clothing marked DKNY and you think gee, how does that person know about the lunar module DSKY computer?...

Offline brihath

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #45 on: 10/22/2007 01:56 PM »
1. When you take your wife on your first trip to Florida together and the FIRST place you go to from the Orlando Airport is KSC (been there, done that).
2.  When you get sick and miss school every time there is a manned launch.  Did that when I was in high school during Gemini.  Gemini 9 drove my parents nuts- delayed several times.
3.  When you relate important birthdays to space launches.  Gemini 76 rendezvous occurred on my 16th birthday.
4.  When you drive from Tampa to KSC at 11 PM to catch a live night shuttle launch.

Offline simonbp

« Reply #46 on: 10/22/2007 04:12 PM »
* When you've got a map of the moon on the wall and can identify near and far side features and landing sites at a glance.

* When you've make a 12-hour drive to a boring conference in Florida just for the chance to see a Delta II launch.

* When you've actually built a 1:100 Saturn V out of paper and are considering doing the same in 1:48.

* When you've got both a NASA and JPL logo on your car.

Simon ;)

Offline George CA

• Veteran
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #47 on: 10/22/2007 04:27 PM »
*When you buy space related bed sheet covers for your kids and wish you could have it on your bed.
"One Percent for Space"

Offline Moon King

« Reply #48 on: 10/22/2007 04:41 PM »
When so many conversations at work end with you talking about NASA needing more funding or the Constellation program that your coworkers nickname you ...Spaceman!!!

When you have a model of Discovery  in your bedroom, a model of the Orion and Endeavour at work, a model of a Saturn V as a centerpiece in the family room.

When, while most people would hang a picture of flowers on the bathroom wall, you have a picture of Hubble being repaired!

When you go to nasaspaceflight on your lunch break

When you visit KFC more than Disney World.

When your girlfriend looks at you like you were crazy for suggesting you should get married somehwere near KFC in view of the launchpads.

When every other T-shit in your closet has a space-related theme!

NASA- Returning to the moon (when politicians quit slashing our budget)

Offline GraphGuy

• Liked: 1
« Reply #49 on: 10/22/2007 04:50 PM »
*When you do the online research to find the ISP, max kg to LEO, GEO for all the major boosters/engines out there as well as for other research engines, as well as for high ISP, low thrust engines, make it into a text file in notepad, and go back to it on occasion to refresh your memory.

*When on your commute home you find yourself wondering how many Ares V launches it takes to assemble a mars lander.

*When you wonder what a good layout for a lunar base would be.

*When you wonder why we can make hard suits that let people operate under hundreds of feet of water, but we can't make a spacesuit that doesn't abuse astronauts.

*When you look back on the two highschool weekends you spent at JPL at spaceset managing your team to two victories and smile.

*When you try to figure a way to make an Estes model rocket with 3 engines on the bottom stage and 1 engine on the upper stage.

*When the first DVD you buy for your 55 inch widescreen is 2001 a space odyssey.  When you toss out the DVD and get the digitally remastered version of 2001 so that it looks better.

*When you feel cheated because the only Apollo launches you have seen are the ones in old National Geographic magazines.

*When you volunteered to go first to give your 6th grade science project on Tokomak nuclear fusion and your "science" teacher didn't know what you were talking about.

*When you wonder what the first person on Mars will say and how it will compare to what Armstrong said, or if the first person there should just stay silent.

*When the early 80s you (much to the chagrin of your parents) dress up as a cosmonaut for Halloween and go to your elementary school proclaiming you are a cosmonaut.

*When the teachers informed the GATE students that the Challenger blew up and you cried.

*Robotech

*Your wife calls you "her little rocket scientist"

*When you write GIS software for a living and yet wonder how it can be used in space.

*In your junior year of high school you wrote a paper on Apollo 13 before the movie came out.

*When your high school AP chemistry teacher loaned you his Sci-Fi books

*When your drafting logo was the planet Saturn

*When you are annoyed that you live on the west coast and the only launches that happen don't have a schedule.

*For a brief time your screen saver featured the venture star.  When you are privately embarrassed that for a time your screen saver featured the venture star.

*When you get a new work laptop you have to consult your pre archived list of space photos and spend half an hour picking the best image to be your background image.

Offline brihath

« Reply #50 on: 10/22/2007 06:00 PM »
Also...

5.  When you build the Revell 1/72 scale Apollo-Saturn V and then take it outside in January (in upstate NY...cooold!) and put it on a ladder so you can take a realistic photo looking up at it.
6.  When you look up at the Moon and still marvel that for one great shining moment, we walked on it.

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #51 on: 10/22/2007 06:18 PM »
brihath - 22/10/2007  2:00 PM

Also...

6.  When you look up at the Moon and still marvel that for one great shining moment, we walked on it.

I do that almost every night.

And another from me:

* When you get yelled at by your computer-tech teacher to get off NASAspaceflight and do your work.

( Yeah, I've been yelled at enough for him to KNOW the name of the site.. Embarrassing.. :( )

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9494
  • Likes Given: 298
« Reply #52 on: 10/22/2007 06:25 PM »
After marrying someone who is also in the launch business, you think of another benefit, another source of pins and patches for your collection.  Plus her collection is now part of the larger "ours"

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #53 on: 10/22/2007 07:39 PM »
...you see the letters "I - S - P" and *don't* think of MSN, QWest, or any other internet service provider.

I actually did take my wife to KSC on our honeymoon.  Of course, it was just one stop during a 2-week trip to the Orlando area.

I'd guess Jim is in this category.  If you can name at least one 4 or 5-letter NASA acronym that has more than one meaning.

Offline brihath

« Reply #54 on: 10/22/2007 07:53 PM »
And also, also....

7.  When you see 2001: A Space Odyssey seven times in the theaters, coaxing someone else along every time because the film was so awesome.

Offline Integrator

• Liked: 2
« Reply #55 on: 10/22/2007 09:19 PM »
* When your car has a Saturn V rocket tag and mission stickers all over the rear bumper.
* When you spend the entire commute thinking about the VSE Architecture and how it will work
* When you spend the whole night lying there awake worrying that it won't.
* When you sing the old Steve Martin song: "...and I get paid for doing this...!"
* When you realize how many others all over the world, young and old, live for what we do every day, and realize the importance of not disappointing them.

Thanks for the reminders.
"Daddy, does that rocket carry people?"
"No buddy, just satellites."
"Why not?"
   --- 5 year old son of jjnodice,  21.01.2011

Offline Skinny

• NSF Webmaster
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: 10/22/2007 10:06 PM »
* When the first thing you try on your brand new cellphone with "high speed internet" connection if NASA TV finally plays fine (and it does :) )

Offline Nick L.

• Elite Veteran
  • A unique little aerospace company
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #57 on: 10/22/2007 10:08 PM »
You see someone online with the nickname "FGB" and think "space station module" and automatically assume the person is Russian, even if he/she isn't.

You have memorized the final countdown sequences for all the launches you've ever watched.
"T-15, ignitors on, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, TCSR start, 6, 5, we have ignition of the main engine..."

You have memorized the webcasts for the various launches you've watched and can identify them by sound alone.

Everyone in your astronomy class looks at you when the instructor asks a question.

Your life is planned around rocket launches, for example, "I can't go out tonight, I have a Delta II to watch..."

You go out at night after watching a rocket launch and think about the upper stage floating in space, possibly directly overhead, and marvel that humans have built machines capable of reaching such speeds and altitudes.
"Now you may leave here for four days in space, but when you return it's the same old place..."

Offline Gary

« Reply #58 on: 10/22/2007 10:23 PM »
lol
« Last Edit: 06/05/2011 12:38 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

« Reply #59 on: 10/22/2007 10:25 PM »
Nick L. - 22/10/2007  11:08 PM
Your life is planned around rocket launches, for example, "I can't go out tonight, I have a Delta II to watch..."

yes
« Last Edit: 06/05/2011 12:38 AM by Gary »

Tags: