Author Topic: Soviet/Russian space programs Q&A  (Read 629877 times)

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
Soviet/Russian space programs Q&A
« on: 01/03/2007 10:55 am »
I am creating this thread for questions and answers related to Soviet/Russian space programs... :)
« Last Edit: 04/29/2015 04:17 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1960
  • Likes Given: 1148
Re: Soviet/Russian space programs Q&A
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2007 12:21 pm »
anik - 3/1/2007  5:38 AM

I am creating this thread for questions and answers related to Soviet/Russian space programms... :)

Congratulations Anik! You are doing a great job!!!!!!

Offline lbiderman

• Going where no Uruguayan has gone before
  • Buenos Aires - Argentina
    • Mars Society Argentina
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2007 12:32 pm »
OK then! Anik, do you know if they are already working on some of the hardware for the Phobos-Grunt mission? The only thing I could find is that they are advanced in the design review, but nothing else. Thanx!

"If I wanted to lead a bunch of robots that could only follow orders, I would have joined the Army!"
Captain Alvarez (Uruguay Marine Corps) in Congo (MONUC Deployment), March 2007

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 01/03/2007 01:13 pm »
lbiderman - 3/1/2007  4:15 PM

do you know if they are already working on some of the hardware for the Phobos-Grunt mission?

Alas, I do not know... :(

But I think that work has started already for a long time and now is continuing very slowly because of shortage of the qualified experts and lack of money... :( If the situation will not change, I doubt that Fobos-Grunt will be launched in 2009... :(

Offline DarthVader

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2007 03:57 pm »
Oh this is going to be a lovely thread! :-) Can we ask technical questions on the manned spacecrafts (Soyuz,Vostok) as well? :-)

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2007 04:22 pm »
DarthVader - 3/1/2007  7:40 PM

Can we ask technical questions on the manned spacecrafts (Soyuz, Vostok) as well?

Yes, certainly!... :) I am not sure that I can answer to these questions, but someone knows more than me and can do that... ;)

Offline DarthVader

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2007 04:38 pm »
Thanks Anik :-) Here's two for starter, related to the Vzor using on Soyuz.

- Is there some kind of controls on the panel (all Soyuz variant from the 7K-OK) for the crew to rotate the direction of the Vzor? It appears (at least on the old Soyuz) that it could be rotated upon commands from the KSU (Command-signal systems), but could the crew use a more manual way of modifying the pan (sort of like for a submarine periscope)?

- Obviously the Vzor cannot tilt itself, but I have read somewhere that the optical system on its head allow for a bit of tilt (+/- 15deg). Is that correct?

Thanks in advance :-)

Offline DarthVader

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2007 06:54 pm »
Here's an extra (albeit a bit naive) one, still on the Vzor:

- How does looking trough the Vzor looks like? Does it looks like peeking trough a Window, or does the Vzor optic apply a sort of zoom (in/out) effect?

Offline NotGncDude

• Veteran
  • V
« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2007 12:41 am »
I don't know if this qualifies for this thread, but I where can I find detailed information on the Soyuz spacecraft?

I've been looking for information on the Soyuz for a while and the best I've found is Mark Wade's page on it, but I am looking for something more detailed. In particular, I was curious about the Soyuz launch escape system, since it seems a little more complex than Apollo's.

Offline Suzy

• Melbourne, Australia
    • RuSpace - my Russian spaceflight website!
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 187
« Reply #9 on: 01/04/2007 07:34 am »
ianmga - 4/1/2007  10:24 AM

I don't know if this qualifies for this thread, but I where can I find detailed information on the Soyuz spacecraft?

I've been looking for information on the Soyuz for a while and the best I've found is Mark Wade's page on it, but I am looking for something more detailed. In particular, I was curious about the Soyuz launch escape system, since it seems a little more complex than Apollo's.

Umm...I've got a little bit on my website - Russian spaceships section - with links to everything I could find on the Internet about the Soyuz. (I would like more details also - e.g. the official Soyuz flight manual would be nice!!!) :)

There's also some diagrams of the Soyuz at the MARS center.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 01/04/2007 01:26 pm »
DarthVader - 3/1/2007  8:21 PM

- Is there some kind of controls on the panel (all Soyuz variant from the 7K-OK) for the crew to rotate the direction of the Vzor? It appears (at least on the old Soyuz) that it could be rotated upon commands from the KSU (Command-signal systems), but could the crew use a more manual way of modifying the pan (sort of like for a submarine periscope)?

- Obviously the Vzor cannot tilt itself, but I have read somewhere that the optical system on its head allow for a bit of tilt (+/- 15deg). Is that correct?

DarthVader - 3/1/2007  10:37 PM

- How does looking trough the Vzor looks like? Does it looks like peeking trough a Window, or does the Vzor optic apply a sort of zoom (in/out) effect?

I have found three wonderful PDF documents about design characteristics of Soyuz spacecraft on this page... :)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

There, for example, you can find a very interesting information (see images below) about sighting device (periscope) on pages 51-52 (item. 2.3.3) and 70 (figure 3) of Part 3... :)

Offline DarthVader

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 01/04/2007 01:34 pm »
Hi Anik,

Yes the ASTP documents have been a good source of information for me as well, but I believe it doesn't fully answer my above questions ;-)

Cheers,

Offline DarthVader

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 01/05/2007 03:40 pm »

Hi ianmga, what kind of details are you looking for? I "may" know a bit about that system.

Offline NotGncDude

• Veteran
  • V
« Reply #13 on: 01/05/2007 04:13 pm »
DarthVader - 5/1/2007  11:23 AM

Hi ianmga, what kind of details are you looking for? I "may" know a bit about that system.

Well, I am curious about the launch escape sequence, the timing, elements involved, separation points, what happens to the fairing, etc. Most descriptions I've come across are pretty superficial, and I haven't seen any diagrams. All of this is available at much higher detail for the Apollo and Shuttle aborts. I am looking for some repository of information that has this level of detail, and hopefully not just for the escape system but for the whole spacecraft.

Ian

Offline DarthVader

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 01/05/2007 06:53 pm »

Sadly pretty much everything technical related to the Russian space program (even for systems used +40 years ago) is always rather sketchy ... clear contrast to the wealth of details and data available on any of the US launchers/spacecraft :-\ Anyhow, here's the little details I know on the launch escape sequence:

- upon activation, the shroud is separated horizontally at the level of the SA/PAO junction while the SA and PAO are been disconnected
- the solid engine fire and take the upper part of the shroud away from the launch vehicle, carrying the BO and the SA within it (the PAO stay behind still attached to the LV payload adapter)
- the 4 panels on the side of the shroud deploy to stabilize (dunno when they do deploy exactly)
- when the solid engine have done it's work, the SA separate from the BO and drop out off the shroud
- from there, the sequence is identical to post re-entry AFAIK

I hope someone with better knowledge of Soyuz can add/correct :-)

Here's a picture of ascale model showing the configuration of the launch escape system while in use:

http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/mwade/graphics/s/soylests.jpg" />

Offline DarthVader

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #15 on: 01/06/2007 05:42 am »

Just remembered I had the following drawing on my HD:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/347437906_a04f41eb76_o.jpg" />

Offline DarthVader

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 01/12/2007 01:08 pm »
So .... about the Vzor? Anyone?

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 819
« Reply #17 on: 01/12/2007 02:07 pm »
I have a question about the TKS/VA
Apparently the TPS developed for the VA capsule was superior to the Soyuz shielding. If this is true, then why has it not been used on the Soyuz as part of the TM or TMA upgrades?
Is there any chance that the VA design could see a role in the CSTS program?
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #18 on: 01/12/2007 04:17 pm »
Kaputnik - 12/1/2007  6:50 AM

I have a question about the TKS/VA
Apparently the TPS developed for the VA capsule was superior to the Soyuz shielding. If this is true, then why has it not been used on the Soyuz as part of the TM or TMA upgrades?
Is there any chance that the VA design could see a role in the CSTS program?

In what way was the TPS better? Mass? Reusability? Cheaper?

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 819
« Reply #19 on: 01/12/2007 06:58 pm »
Danderman - 12/1/2007  5:00 PM
In what way was the TPS better?

That's something I'd like to know. It was reusable, for one thing, but other than that I can't find any information on it. Mark Wade says it was better and that's about all I've got:

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/tksva.htm
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Tags: Polyus laser budget 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography