Author Topic: Soyuz Q & A  (Read 64253 times)

Offline eeergo

Re: Soyuz Q & A
« Reply #20 on: 03/24/2010 08:56 pm »
Found in ISS Status Report of 18th march :

Tri-module separation occurred at 6:57am. 16 sec after the separation command, software pitched the PAO instrumentation/propulsion module in the rear to a specific angle (-78.5 deg from reference axis) which, if the PAO would have remained connected to the SA/Descent Module, would have resulted in enough heating on the connecting truss to melt it, thus ensuring separation.

Is it a new procedure, or an old one I did't know about ??

It was put in place after the second-in-a-row ballistic descent in TMA-11. You probably remember it was due to incorrect separation of the PAO and the descent module, resulting in hatch-forward orientation of the reentry capsule. Now they do this so that, just in case the same problem happens again, aerodynamic forces help to solve it faster.
-DaviD-

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 668
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #21 on: 05/11/2010 09:14 pm »
"Soyouz T" was 11F732.
"Soyouz TMA" is 11F732A17.

What was the complete official designation of "Soyouz TM" ?
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #22 on: 05/12/2010 04:51 am »
What was the complete official designation of "Soyouz TM"?

11F732A51.

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #23 on: 05/16/2010 08:39 pm »
An interesting tidbit from http://www.lpre.de/energomash/RD-107/index.htm on Soyuz-U vs U2 (via google translate)
As a result of more stringent parameters of loading the engine using synthetic oil, engine 11D511PF should have greater margin of stability with respect to the HF oscillations.

From the experience of many years of mass production of engines was detected sensitivity stability margin of the working process in the cells on the mode of the main stage to violations in the manufacture of centrifugal two-component jets (as a rule - to violations in the manufacture of tangential holes in the jets) (see also Engines 14D22, 14D21 ).

For this reason, a series of chambers as a result of cold prolivok Water Samples of those who have hydraulic characteristics of the mixing head is in a range. Cameras are selected in such a way mixing heads used in the engine 11D511PF (RD-117PF).

By 1996, production of engines for the rocket Soyuz at the Plant Frunze in Samara have decreased significantly, making it impossible to select engines, capable of working on a synthetic fuel.

To continue the operation of the rocket Soyuz-U2 "it was necessary to either increase the level of manufacturing technology, or to conduct additional studies to clarify the nature of high-frequency vibrations and make appropriate modifications to the mixing head.
If I read this correctly, the U2 was more sensitive to combustion instability, and rather than actually making a "U2" engine, they cherry picked the most suitable injectors for U2. When production decreased, there wasn't enough to cherry pick from.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
« Reply #24 on: 05/18/2010 09:31 pm »
What was the complete official designation of "Soyouz TM"?

11F732A51.

Thank you very much anik !
And do you know if Soyuz TM-16 had a special designation ?
Nicolas PILLET

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 06/30/2012 06:06 pm »
Bump. Will use this for questions during Soyuz events.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #26 on: 07/01/2012 03:49 pm »
What are the odds of a Soyuz landing upright?

Offline Suzy

• Melbourne, Australia
    • RuSpace - my Russian spaceflight website!
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 187
« Reply #27 on: 07/07/2012 03:28 am »
A Soyuz parachute question I have been asked and have no idea about: are the main and reserve/backup parachutes stored in one compartment (with one hatch opening) or two? I have done some searching but can't come up with a clear answer or diagram! The screenshot below from "Soyuz: A Universal Spacecraft" shows only one hatch, but it looks like there is another on the side.

Offline Zero-G

• Switzerland
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #28 on: 07/07/2012 12:15 pm »
A Soyuz parachute question I have been asked and have no idea about: are the main and reserve/backup parachutes stored in one compartment (with one hatch opening) or two? I have done some searching but can't come up with a clear answer or diagram! The screenshot below from "Soyuz: A Universal Spacecraft" shows only one hatch, but it looks like there is another on the side.

Main and backup parachutes are stored in two separate compartments. Each compartment has its own hatch. The left parachute is the main, the right one is the backup.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2012 12:16 pm by Zero-G »
"I still don't understand who I am: the first human or the last dog in space." - Yuri Gagarin

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
« Reply #29 on: 07/07/2012 12:48 pm »
On pictures like these, you can see clearly where is the main parachute compartiment (open) and where is the backup one (closed).

http://www.kosmonavtika.com/vaisseaux/soyouz/visite/reels/30/30.html
Nicolas PILLET

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #30 on: 07/07/2012 12:49 pm »
On pictures like these, you can see clearly where is the main parachute compartiment (open) and where is the backup one (closed).

http://www.kosmonavtika.com/vaisseaux/soyouz/visite/reels/30/30.html

And on Zond; the hole was used for the entry hatch?
« Last Edit: 07/07/2012 12:52 pm by Stan Black »

Offline pat Whitaker

• Wellington, New Zealand
    • Whitaker Books
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: 07/07/2012 10:31 pm »

Main and backup parachutes are stored in two separate compartments. Each compartment has its own hatch. The left parachute is the main, the right one is the backup.

The original question relates to this image (and plenty of others like it).

http://scamme.org/info/soyuz-tma19/pict17.jpg

The main 'chute (and it's drogue and braking 'chute have obviously been deployed, and the cover of the backup 'chute is in place, so what is the apparent packed 'chute still in the parachute compartment?

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
« Reply #32 on: 07/08/2012 02:12 am »

The original question relates to this image (and plenty of others like it).

http://scamme.org/info/soyuz-tma19/pict17.jpg

The main 'chute (and it's drogue and braking 'chute have obviously been deployed, and the cover of the backup 'chute is in place, so what is the apparent packed 'chute still in the parachute compartment?

That is not a parachute pack. It is a ballon that is inflated to help force the cute's deployment bag out of the compartment.

Offline pat Whitaker

• Wellington, New Zealand
    • Whitaker Books
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: 07/08/2012 10:42 pm »

That is not a parachute pack. It is a ballon that is inflated to help force the cute's deployment bag out of the compartment.
[/quote]

Thanks Jay, that makes sense,as there didn't really seem to be enough room left for the 'chutes.

Offline Zero-G

• Switzerland
« Reply #34 on: 07/15/2012 05:50 pm »
What is the purpose and function of the blue stick with the handgrip on top, which is installed on the "Kazbek" seats in the Soyuz descent module? (see first two photos)
There is one of these blue sticks on every seat, but they don't seem to be linked together. (see last photo I made of one of the Soyuz sims at TsPK)
"I still don't understand who I am: the first human or the last dog in space." - Yuri Gagarin

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #35 on: 07/15/2012 05:59 pm »
PTT button

Offline Kyra's kosmos

• Spacecraft "Vostok" Control and Instrument Panel Site
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #36 on: 07/15/2012 08:27 pm »
What is the purpose and function of the blue stick with the handgrip on top, which is installed on the "Kazbek" seats in the Soyuz descent module? (see first two photos)
There is one of these blue sticks on every seat, but they don't seem to be linked together. (see last photo I made of one of the Soyuz sims at TsPK)

ZG, While youre asking, theres another crucial accessory control (rarely seen) to be aware of: The Manual Descent Controller. (If you know of it just ignore this)
http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/vehicles/soyuz/descent.asp
Credit: Originally posted by Chris Hadfield

« Last Edit: 07/15/2012 08:32 pm by Kyra's kosmos »

Offline Zero-G

• Switzerland
« Reply #37 on: 07/16/2012 01:16 pm »
PTT button

Thanks for your reply.
So, the only purpose of these sticks is to provide a place within reach of each crewmember where the PTT buttons can be mounted?

ZG, While youre asking, theres another crucial accessory control (rarely seen) to be aware of: The Manual Descent Controller. (If you know of it just ignore this)
http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/vehicles/soyuz/descent.asp
Credit: Originally posted by Chris Hadfield

Thanks for your post. I was aware of the Manual Descent Controller, but have never seen one in reality. This leads me to another question: If it needs to be used, can it be attached somewhere for the time of the descent? Maybe to one of the blue sticks I mentioned above? (I figure the Controller is stowed away somewhere during the mission until reentry.)
I imagine that it could be quite difficult to hold on to it with the Sokol suit's gloves, while experiencing some Gs. It must be even more difficult in a scenario where the suit is pressurized for whatever reason. And I am sure you don't want to drop your only means of control during a manual descent of your spacecraft. ;)
« Last Edit: 07/16/2012 01:37 pm by Zero-G »

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 155
« Reply #38 on: 07/22/2012 05:58 pm »
I'm not sure if this question has been asked before....it's a well known fact that the ride back to Earth in Soyuz has been paraphrased by some as being "pretty wild".

I've never heard those type of remarks from astronauts that flew on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft.

Not including the actual touchdown, was the entry of the U.S. spacecraft much smoother than Soyuz, and if so...why?
« Last Edit: 07/22/2012 07:45 pm by TJL »

Offline zt

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #39 on: 07/22/2012 08:35 pm »
Without any specific knowledge, I guess the times were more patriotic and the astronauts had not flown in Shuttle, so had nothing else (orbital) to compare against. I see no reason why Soyuz is worse than other capsules designed in the 1960s. Americans who have flown in Soyuz have also flown in Shuttle and so compare it to Shuttle which has a nicer landing, though supposedly shakier launch. What did John Glenn say about his two flights?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography