Author Topic: Four Shuttle veterans selected to drive SLS uphill on maiden flight  (Read 9592 times)

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
Will these be the engines used for the Green Run tests of the core stage at Stennis?

I'm betting the answer is, "Yes." Chris wrote, "SLS will see the engines being installed into the core at MAF, ahead of being shipped to the Kennedy Space Center (KSC)." I think he just forgot to mention the side trip back up the river to Stennis! ;)
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
Engines would rather go out in a blaze of glory and not be sat around in a room at Stennis. :)

Indeed. If only all venerable veterans would have at least sat in a room... :(

AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343
One question... Since the SSMEs were originally tested at Stennis, why the necessity of creating a new testing structure?  Was it (were they) removed/destroyed and when?  When was the last test of a full-up SSME?  Okay that's more that one question :)

Because the old one was removed and one for the J-2X installed. It's really nothing more than a metal brace that was built in house, not a big deal.

I believe last SSME test was July 29, 2009 on the A-2.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
Engines would rather go out in a blaze of glory and not be sat around in a room at Stennis. :)

Indeed. If only all venerable veterans would have at least sat in a room... :(
Where the h*ll was that picture taken? Is there actually an F1 out there in that poor a condition? Shamefull.  :(
« Last Edit: 05/14/2014 01:08 pm by woods170 »

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
Where the h*ll was that picture taken? Is there actually an F1 out there in that poor a condition? Shamefull.  :(

It was on F-1 wikipedia page but I didn't read the fine print through :-[

F-1 on display at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center but its appearance was temporarily altered for a science fiction movie

Oops, my bad. I think it's this one, still sitting outside. In alternate reality they would have been carefully packed in the 70s like NK-33 and now being restored to boost SLS.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline Starlab90

• NASA Retired
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Liked: 786
  • Likes Given: 314
Will these be the engines used for the Green Run tests of the core stage at Stennis?

Yes.

Offline pagheca

• Bayesian Pundit. Maybe.
  • Lives in Ivory, Tower
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 161
I have a question: does anyone know if having four rather than three engines has any known, even minimal impact on each single engine performance?

I'm not talking of course of total thrust, or different flight profiles. That's obvious. I'm asking about something like (but not only) higher noise level or resonance issues that may dictate different specs or a different gimbal design, or countermeasures. Something like that...

« Last Edit: 05/19/2014 07:15 pm by pagheca »

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
I have a question: does anyone know if having four rather than three engines has any known, even minimal impact on each single engine performance?

I'm not talking of course of total thrust, or different flight profiles. That's obvious. I'm asking about something like (but not only) higher noise level or resonance issues that may dictate different specs or a different gimbal design, or countermeasures. Something like that...
I would think the "start" and "takeoff" gimbal positions would at least be different with 4 vs 3 RS25.
Paul

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography