Author Topic: NASASpaceflight L2 - Overview and Q&A  (Read 166319 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

NASASpaceflight L2 - Overview and Q&A
« on: 09/24/2007 02:02 am »
PLEASE NOTE: THE L2 TICKER IS AN ADVERT WHICH SUMMARIZES WHAT IS ON L2.

A NEW OVERVIEW WILL BE PUBLISHED ONCE A NEW PROMO VIDEO HAS BEEN PRODUCED.

Most of you have heard of it, a number of you are members on it, but this is an open forum thread to give a better - more up to date - overview, review, Q&A and one stop shop for some of the L2 samples that are dotted around the site for what is a unique subscription service, which we believe is by far the best subscription service for space flight followers.

The main signup and overview/intro page: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/L2/ (this covers most elements, although I will add some screenshots below).

Previous thread with questions and comments: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1669&start=1

Please feel free to post questions here, or PM me if you wish to contact me personally.

L2 is four sections (with more to come in time):
1) Mission Special (currently L2 STS-120 Special) - which is an MMT (Management Level) service which reached 1,700 megabytes worth of data during STS-118.

2) Space Flight L2: Shuttle, ISS and current vehicles, the main host area of the L2 Cloud sub menus (see below).

3) Space Flight L2: Constellation and Future: Mainly dedicated to Ares/Orion, but also other new vehicles and EELVs etc.

4) Space Flight L2: The Ultimate Video Section: Home of the superb re-entry videos, but also includes a number of unique Shuttle related videos, Constellation overview videos, ISS tours etc.

Everything on L2 is not available on ANY other site. On the rare occasions we do break news/images etc, and a few weeks later NASA decide to release them publicly, we lock or wipe it off L2.

Each section as a request form, which our sources (we have a lot of those) use to send us further L2 information as per request. You can also post further questions on the information in L2 due to the forum format. One of the major strengths of L2 is the large amount of actual space industry on L2 who are happy to answer questions/elaborate on what is contained in there, especially during missions.

Nothing on L2 is ITAR, Export Control, SBU or Proprietary.

So first, here's a screenshot of the L2 Cloud - a special menu which breaks down specific sections we have a large amount of presentations etc. contained within.

Let's show an example.

Image 1: The L2 Cloud (which you will see in the top bar menu as an L2 user).
Image 2: Member clicks on STS-125 (and goes to that menu).
Image 3: Selects the highlighted "thread" and download the full presentation by clicking what is highlighted, which incidentally also works for Orion.

L2 Promo video. Thanks to the guys at MaxQ!

« Last Edit: 01/18/2010 05:52 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: NASASpaceflight L2 - Overview and Q&A (Updated)
« Reply #1 on: 09/24/2007 02:41 am »
Samples of some L2 videos:

Atlantis Re-entry trailer:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4813&start=1

Endeavour Re-entry trailer:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8873&posts=12&start=1

VAB/OPF/PAD All Access Tour trailer:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12492&start=1

Several more have been added to L2, plus around 10 HUD cam re-entrees (also with audio), and STA landings at Edwards, White Sands etc.

Unique videos include the all-eventful STS-93 video, sample attached below.

EDIT: On request, a short edit of one of the CGI videos of the new Ares I rollercoaster (post redesign). Third video link in this post (see below). And added a better second video from STS-93.
« Last Edit: 07/08/2008 08:22 pm by James Lowe1 »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: NASASpaceflight L2 - Overview and Q&A (Updated)
« Reply #2 on: 09/24/2007 02:55 am »
I don't know what to say about L2.  I'm just.. speechless!

I've had it for two missions now, STS-118 and STS-117.  The videos, documents, and just overall information is spectacular.

The STS-93 video is... wow!  Jeez!  

Go on and get a 20 dollar bill out of you wallet.  Now, sign up for L2 for TWO MONTHS.  You most likely won't leave.  ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 09/24/2007 03:08 am »
Q&A:

Questions posted into this thread may get re-posted/edited into this post, to save people going through endless posts.

Some obvious ones:

Q) Why do you charge..why a subscription area? I'm American and I pay my taxes so I should get this for free.

A) Same as most sites with such areas...it costs money to keep this site up. Advertising revenue never cuts it. All L2 revenue goes into the running of the site (server, database costs etc.) The site is not owned by some faceless company, it's owned by me, and I'm anything but rich, so L2 is a vital revenue stream, which is why we call it "support". Being an L2 member means you are directly supporting the site, but in return you get more than your monies worth!

So you're not "paying to access NASA info" - you're paying to use up our bandwidth on the bulk of the server and databases (L2 is about 100 gbs).

Bottom line, no L2, no site. I wouldn't be able to afford to keep it going without it, period.

Q) If I am NASA, ULA, USA etc. Is L2 free?

A) Yes, simply mail me from your work address (ensuring you've signed up for a username on the forum). Your e-mail will only be used to confirm you are space industry...and only I will recieve it, thus will be confidential. There's no condition of becoming a source attached...the whole site is about increasing awareness and respect for the space flight industry, so it's an honor to have you on site in the first place.

Q) If I'm media, does that mean I'm banned from L2?

A) No, in fact we have a lot of media in L2 (most of the famous names). The rules of media apply, so there's a conversation involved when joining, but that doesn't take more than one e-mail.

Q) How do you get the content for L2?

A) We have a lot of excellent sources, which is one of the most motivating elements of running this site. Every journalist has their sources, the difference with us is we put everything into L2, as it arrives. With other media in L2, that could be deemed as journalistic suicide, but the people I've got to know who cover space flight are a good bunch of people who play by the rules.

Q) Ok, I've gone blind. Quick overview of how I join L2 if you please?

A) Make sure you have yourself a username on the forum (we use that to upgrade you). Make the payment via the link on the bottom of the http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/L2/ page. I get an e-mail when that's completed, I personally upgrade you into L2 and send you a one page overview of instructions to the e-mail address your payment notification came in.

If there was a problem for whatever reason, I'm a living person not a mailbot, so contact me, I'm here to help.

Offline lsullivan411

• NASASpaceflight KSC Photographer
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 09/24/2007 03:17 am »
Well, I have to agree with all Ford says above. I joined NSF last October, almost a year and going on 5 missions with STS-120 upcoming.  I figured it was just another site trying to get money when I read that "L2 is like a back seat at Nasa" - not an exact quote, but it was something like that.  Well I found that you get what you pay for - and more.  To this day I still go back thru old posts, old stories and find things I never saw.  The documentation is extensive, and I don't have time to get to it all - but a scan of many of them gives the info needed.   The people I have "met" in the forums, and those who work on the hardware and keep us all up to date, and of course Chris and those that run NSF deserve a huge thank you for the efforts that make this site what it is, and it has made it one heck of an enjoyable year to follow the successes of NASA and the shuttle program. Sign up for your first 2 months, then save some money and sign up for a year - you'll be happy you did!!!

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #5 on: 09/24/2007 03:42 am »
I only recently got access to L2.  My impressions are that the diversity of material is pretty good (Chris said above more sections will come in time), but the level of detail is somewhere between ridiculous and insane.  If Wayne Hale has all that stuff in his head (and you know he does, and more), I'm even more impressed than I was before.

But that STS-93 video is over-the-top.  What that team got done between launch and MECO 8 1/2 minutes later is astonishing to me.  And the amount of terror in their voices as multiple things were going wrong simultaneously on a vehicle with people they know on board - zero.  I've watched it about 25 times.  It's hugely impressive on many levels.

The other videos, images, documents and presentations (of which there are tons) are quite nice as well, but as on the main forum, Chris is there to keep it all organized and so L2 acts not as a large pile of raw data (like Googling "Constellation Program" would), but a relatively easy-to-use database of information, people and explanations.

Offline Shuttle Man

• Veteran
  • KSC
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: 09/24/2007 01:48 pm »
I am very impressed with L2 and by the caliber of people on there, which is a credit to the quality of the site and sections.
Ex-Apollo, waiting for NASA to finish what we started.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #7 on: 09/24/2007 02:12 pm »
Just my 2 cents, I know, I might be biased cuz I love this site, but L2 is great....and thats an understatement !

So get your butt on L2, if it's not for the info wealth on there, then do it to support Chris !

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #8 on: 09/24/2007 02:59 pm »
I initially joined L2 for 2 months because I also was skeptical about whether or not it was worth it. But it was enticing enough to find out. I got into the site and was immediately completely blown away. The wealth of information there, and the professional expertise available to discuss that data, was overwhelming. I couldn’t upgrade my membership to 12 months fast enough. When it came time to renew, there was absolutely no question in my mind – it was a no brainer and the upgrade went forward.

As a further value-added bonus, members of L2 have access to information that is not available to any open forum, even NSF. Maintaining the confidentiality of this information is a responsibility of every L2 member. One of the members has the line “Sometimes I just can’t tell you how I know” as his signature. Come to L2 and see why. You won’t regret it. I know I don’t.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Peter NASA

• Extreme Veteran
  • SOMD
  • Liked: 8747
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #9 on: 09/24/2007 08:00 pm »
Shuttle Man - 24/9/2007  8:48 AM

I am very impressed with L2 and by the caliber of people on there, which is a credit to the quality of the site and sections.

I agree. I actually found out which way the MMT was heading with the tile repair decision on Endeavour faster on L2 than here at HQ, thanks to people actually at the different centers with their live information. It's actually a very good service for those involved!

Offline NASA_LaRC_SP

• Veteran
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: 09/25/2007 10:58 pm »
I would also like to add my comment that in the decades I've been working for NASA, this site is a breath of fresh air, and the L2 sections are superb if you like following development of Ares/Orion.

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: 09/26/2007 03:48 pm »
Chris Bergin - 24/9/2007  5:08 AM

Bottom line, no L2, no site. I wouldn't be able to afford to keep it going without it, period.

L2 is great, worth every cent, period. :)

One question Chris: Are you doing this site for a living or do you have a "normal daytime" job. I can't imagine you have unless your days are longer than mine. Maybe like lunar days, but lunar nights are longer too. :) Are you or have you studied/worked as a (print or TV) journalist before?

Simply ignore or delete if this is to private. Thanks!

Analyst

PS: This thread reminds me of my L2 fee being almost due again. How fast a year goes.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #12 on: 09/26/2007 10:23 pm »
Analyst - 26/9/2007  4:48 PM

Chris Bergin - 24/9/2007  5:08 AM

L2 is great, worth every cent, period. :)

One question Chris: Are you doing this site for a living or do you have a "normal daytime" job. I can't imagine you have unless your days are longer than mine. Maybe like lunar days, but lunar nights are longer too. :) Are you or have you studied/worked as a (print or TV) journalist before?

Simply ignore or delete if this is to private. Thanks!

Analyst

PS: This thread reminds me of my L2 fee being almost due again. How fast a year goes.

British Army TA solider (line infantry) which is a reservist type deal for people with full time professions, but still want to serve Queen and country. I spend full time hours (and then some) on the site. Probably should have thought it out better at the start, as going into this without money backing it up, is not clever, especially when it turned into a heavily read site a lot faster than predicted!

Still, you only live once, and this was too big an opportunity to refuse (given the support I was promised by way of news and content by the NASA and USA guys I knew beforehand who suggested I started this kind of news media site).

So yeah, living on bread and water at the moment as we take the site forward - via increasing revenue or a future investor (I keep meaning to ask Elon :laugh: ) - but nothing is more motivating than covering this subject field, which is a total privilege and it's worth every hour spent working on providing this site's very supportive readership with the best space flight content.

Background in media: Trained as a broadcaster/journalist, and was a professional sports reporter in my informative years. Was very lucky to have a old school style editor, who taught me the value of source information and protection for breaking news - and open, honest, cards on the table reporting..."readership trust is everything".

Offline Stowbridge

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: 09/27/2007 07:47 pm »
"Attachments
----------------
Attachments L2STS-93.wmv (7857KB - 17 downloads)
Attachments L2STS-93Yikes.wmv (919KB - 17 downloads)"

They are great. Do they create these for most launches? I think with nearly 600 views on this thread, people are missing them in the second post as there's only a handful of people that have downloaded the trailers.
Veteran space reporter.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #14 on: 09/28/2007 03:48 am »
Stowbridge - 27/9/2007  8:47 PM

They are great. Do they create these for most launches? I think with nearly 600 views on this thread, people are missing them in the second post as there's only a handful of people that have downloaded the trailers.

The MCC guys say it was for training purposes, so likely a one off, given it was so eventful.

Just adding two randow cloud screenshots of ISS/Russian L2 content lists (not all, but a sample) for somewhere else, but here's obviously a good place to collate:

Offline Justin Space

• Extreme Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 293
« Reply #15 on: 09/30/2007 04:41 pm »
Joined L2 this morning, and someone said on the old thread that L2 is a lot better than advertised. Wow, you're damn right. I've only been through the first pages of two sections, about one percent in and I'm in awe. I had no idea how amazing this is. Did you intend for it to be this good Chris?

Best money I've ever spent on the internet!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #16 on: 09/30/2007 05:41 pm »
Thanks (and to all). No, I didn't think it would be of this level. We're very pleased by how it's working out and continuing to improve.

Offline Ankle-bone12

« Reply #17 on: 10/01/2007 06:02 am »
Out of curiosity, About how many members are there on L2? I dont have the will or the patience to count manualy. :/
Alex B.

Offline mikes

• Norwich, UK
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #18 on: 10/01/2007 09:16 am »
> About how many members are there on L2? I dont have the will or the patience to count manualy

Who does? That's what computers are for :)

Cut'n'paste into "wc" tells me 805

Mike

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #19 on: 10/01/2007 02:56 pm »
mikes - 1/10/2007  10:16 AM

> About how many members are there on L2? I dont have the will or the patience to count manualy

Who does? That's what computers are for :)

Cut'n'paste into "wc" tells me 805

Mike

Heh, didn't know the list was visible! Not that it's a problem :)

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #20 on: 10/03/2007 08:35 pm »
Just noticed this new overview. Much better than the old one.

Been on L2 for a year and it just keeps on getting better. Amazing place to literally feel like you're involved in the space program.

Offline Jonty McLee

« Reply #21 on: 10/08/2007 03:34 pm »
Q) What is that new Historical section about. That is of interest to me, but a sample example like you've done for some of the other sections would be appreciated.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 10/08/2007 03:49 pm »
Jonty McLee - 8/10/2007  9:34 AM

Q) What is that new Historical section about. That is of interest to me, but a sample example like you've done for some of the other sections would be appreciated.

It's a bunch of historical documents, presentations, high-res images, and videos from Apollo, Shuttle and smaller numbers from other vehicles, programs and even locations.  It's actually very impressive and is my new favorite part of L2.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 10/08/2007 03:58 pm »
Jonty McLee - 8/10/2007  4:34 PM

We're still building it, but given we've got a surge, it needed it's new section to stretch its legs. It's a mix of what Lee noted, with threads into subsections (one thread contains multiple files) with digital versions of previously unavailable resources. Well before my years, but I was shocked by the quality of the images and videos - for example - as they obviously had some good cameras even back in that day and age. To also note, the image file sizes are up into the 1mb level,

A small screenshot of some of it below (but this is getting built big time still as we have specific sources for this now):

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #24 on: 10/11/2007 03:44 pm »
Quick note, as we've had a couple of these over the past couple of days, when registering for an account on here, prior to joining L2, you do need to have a valid e-mail address, so the system can send you your password.

If you're struggling for whatever reason, mail me and I'll sort you out with an account.

Offline Tim S

• MSFC
  • Liked: 821
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #25 on: 10/18/2007 04:04 pm »
Hugely impressed with L2. I'm acting like a kid in a candy store, so I can only imagine what it's like for a fan.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #26 on: 10/22/2007 10:05 pm »
A short edit of one part of the video showing a CGI animation of the new Ares I rollercoaster added to the second post in this thread (third attachment), on request.

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: 10/27/2007 09:23 pm »
Good newer overview. Also would like to add that L2 is superb. I suspect people who join are suprised by how impressive it is once they've got access.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #28 on: 10/30/2007 02:00 am »
Thanks for the above comments.

I'm posting as I'm requesting the person who just signed up to L2, called "John" to mail me at [email protected] or PM me, as your e-mail address is bouncing back. Thanks.

Edit: Check your PMs.

Offline ShuttleFan75

• Regular
« Reply #29 on: 11/02/2007 04:55 pm »
Question Chris, are the presentations something you can download and see on the site only, or can they be downloaded to to the computer?

I ask as I would like to be able to read through documents on my laptop, but does that mean I have to be on L2 with the laptop to read them, or can I put them on a CD or datastick and transfer?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #30 on: 11/02/2007 05:02 pm »
ShuttleFan75 - 2/11/2007  6:55 PM

Question Chris, are the presentations something you can download and see on the site only, or can they be downloaded to to the computer?

I ask as I would like to be able to read through documents on my laptop, but does that mean I have to be on L2 with the laptop to read them, or can I put them on a CD or datastick and transfer?

Yep, downloadable documents, on to your hard drive. Copy them across to your laptop or whatever you want...just not to other sites.

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #31 on: 11/07/2007 05:33 pm »
I know there's always some post flight, but I wanted to publically saw how amazingly good L2 was for this mission. Really had it all, felt like I was at the MMT, and already getting through the STS-122 presentations. Thank you to this site and the amazing sources.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #32 on: 11/07/2007 10:15 pm »
Martin FL - 7/11/2007  6:33 PM

I know there's always some post flight, but I wanted to publically saw how amazingly good L2 was for this mission. Really had it all, felt like I was at the MMT, and already getting through the STS-122 presentations. Thank you to this site and the amazing sources.

Thanks, and yes, we'll revert the special section to STS-122, as we already have enough on that mission to do the switch, whilst continuing post flight with STS-120 in the STS section of L2.

Offline LeeAnne

« Reply #33 on: 11/09/2007 11:51 pm »
'Don't know where else I should be posting this question, so if itbelongs somewhere else, please forgive...  I keep hearing about a "wish list" for L2. Where would I find it to post a wish?

Lee Anne
Lee Anne Ward, PMP
Spacegirl, Mariner 2 fan

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #34 on: 11/10/2007 02:32 am »
LeeAnne - 10/11/2007  12:51 AM

'Don't know where else I should be posting this question, so if itbelongs somewhere else, please forgive...  I keep hearing about a "wish list" for L2. Where would I find it to post a wish?

Lee Anne

It's the Shopping Lists at the top of each section, where you can request a specific document/subject and the sources usually come up with it. I see you've since found it :)

Offline LeeAnne

« Reply #35 on: 11/11/2007 02:12 am »
Yes, L2 is like walking into the Library of Congress, looking for a book to read. Where do you start???   8-)

I think there ought to be a college course just in how to find stuff in here! WOW!

Lee Anne
Lee Anne Ward, PMP
Spacegirl, Mariner 2 fan

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #36 on: 11/13/2007 04:59 pm »
LeeAnne - 10/11/2007  9:12 PM

Yes, L2 is like walking into the Library of Congress, looking for a book to read. Where do you start???   8-)

I think there ought to be a college course just in how to find stuff in here! WOW!

Lee Anne

I've been on it a year and keep finding amazing things. The cloud is very helpful for specific searching.

Offline ShuttleFan75

• Regular
« Reply #37 on: 11/14/2007 05:53 pm »
Chris Bergin - 2/11/2007  1:02 PM

ShuttleFan75 - 2/11/2007  6:55 PM

Yep, downloadable documents, on to your hard drive. Copy them across to your laptop or whatever you want...just not to other sites.

Thanks for your answer. Been on L2 for a couple of days now and I'm astonded by how great L2 is. I'm only about one percent through it and I've already classed this as my best ever purchase via the internet and blows everything I've ever seen before on space flight. Not just the videos, images and documents, it's the people on there, with actual NASA people explaining the complicated stuff. It's brilliant and very clever as it gets you excited about the space program again. Win win, five stars.

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
« Reply #38 on: 11/14/2007 06:11 pm »
I also agree. I've been on L2 six months now and I love it! Will definately be signing up for another year next may..

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #39 on: 11/19/2007 05:56 pm »
Requested by PM, updated L2 menu: (L2 is four sections, the below cloud menus, which list each element of the specific menu choice).

Offline George CA

• Veteran
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #40 on: 11/19/2007 06:49 pm »
I see you don't get many PMs Chris ;) Nearly 3000??
"One Percent for Space"

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #41 on: 11/19/2007 08:00 pm »
George CA - 19/11/2007  7:49 PM

I see you don't get many PMs Chris ;) Nearly 3000??

And I keep deleting it back!  :laugh:

Offline AresWatcher

« Reply #42 on: 11/20/2007 04:28 pm »
Chris, love the site, decided to log in and look at L2. Question about the videos. Are they attached like in the second post of this thread, as in are they downloadable, rather than someone you can only play in the screen of the site?
"One Percent for Space"

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #43 on: 11/20/2007 04:53 pm »
AresWatcher - 20/11/2007  5:28 PM

Chris, love the site, decided to log in and look at L2. Question about the videos. Are they attached like in the second post of this thread, as in are they downloadable, rather than someone you can only play in the screen of the site?

Welcome to the site. Yes, they are all downloadable. Nothing is played "in screen" click a download link, download to your hard drive, play as much as you want.

Offline AresWatcher

« Reply #44 on: 12/04/2007 12:01 pm »
Chris Bergin - 20/11/2007  11:53 AM

Welcome to the site. Yes, they are all downloadable. Nothing is played "in screen" click a download link, download to your hard drive, play as much as you want.

Been on for a couple of weeks and I recommend it highly. Going to need an external hard drive!
"One Percent for Space"

Offline STS Tony

• Extreme Veteran
  • Los Angeles
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #45 on: 12/06/2007 01:24 am »
AresWatcher - 4/12/2007  7:01 AM

Chris Bergin - 20/11/2007  11:53 AM

Been on for a couple of weeks and I recommend it highly. Going to need an external hard drive!

I've got five data DVDs filled :)

Offline cantuezel

« Reply #46 on: 12/07/2007 09:52 pm »
Hi,

just registered to L2 restricted site, very nice indeed!. I heard that there are two very nice incockpit videos (besode of many others), one Endeveour(?) reentry vid (2h full time long) with plasma outside and another full time reentry vid.from deorbit til landing.

I dont know the Title of the vids (nor the STS No.). Could someone just post the title for that videos so that I am able to search for that vids on the multimedia-section of L2.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Can
PS: Respect for the L2-URL, Chris!  :laugh:

Offline Skinny

• NSF Webmaster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #47 on: 12/07/2007 09:55 pm »

Just use the Tag Cloud (in top menu) to easily find the videos (or other info) you are looking for. In this case, click Video and then Landing and the videos are right there.

-Mark

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #48 on: 12/07/2007 10:03 pm »
cantuezel - 7/12/2007  10:52 PM

Hi,

just registered to L2 restricted site, very nice indeed!. I heard that there are two very nice incockpit videos (besode of many others), one Endeveour(?) reentry vid (2h full time long) with plasma outside and another full time reentry vid.from deorbit til landing.

I dont know the Title of the vids (nor the STS No.). Could someone just post the title for that videos so that I am able to search for that vids on the multimedia-section of L2.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Can
PS: Respect for the L2-URL, Chris!  :laugh:

Welcome :)

I've sent you a PM to help: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/inbox.asp

Offline apollo13

• Regular
L2 Payment...
« Reply #49 on: 12/09/2007 12:06 am »
There is no place to put my user-name, there is no Payment Notes area, do I need my parents to create an account to see the payment notes part?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #50 on: 12/09/2007 04:04 am »
apollo13 - 9/12/2007  1:06 AM

There is no place to put my user-name, there is no Payment Notes area, do I need my parents to create an account to see the payment notes part?

Don't worry about entering it, as we have the back up of manually finding your details. No mailbots on this :)

When some people don't see that "box" to enter the username into, we cross reference manually. We only ask as it speeds up the process, but we'll always manually ensure you are upgraded.

I've added you on MSN to help talk you through it if you get stuck.

Offline Jason Davies

• Regular
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #51 on: 12/18/2007 10:47 pm »
How long will the site be shut down for over the holidays? I know a lot of sites do, so wondering how long this one will be?

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #52 on: 12/18/2007 10:54 pm »
I'm going make a guess and say not at all.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #53 on: 12/18/2007 10:54 pm »
Jason Davies - 18/12/2007  11:47 PM

How long will the site be shut down for over the holidays? I know a lot of sites do, so wondering how long this one will be?

We're an all year - 24/7 site.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #54 on: 12/19/2007 12:06 am »
Chris Bergin - 18/12/2007  6:54 PM

But most of the aerospace business will be shutdown

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #55 on: 12/19/2007 12:41 pm »
Jim - 19/12/2007  1:06 AM

Chris Bergin - 18/12/2007  6:54 PM

But most of the aerospace business will be shutdown

We won't be....as that's not entirely correct. We've got tons of content to come (and expect it still to be coming in through to Christmas Eve. There's a Russian launch on Christmas Day and I know at least three NASA centers working through Christmas with STS-122 and there's examples like MSFC taking just the 24th and 25th off).

Offline bobblebob

« Reply #56 on: 12/23/2007 10:57 pm »
Seriously thinking about signing up to L2 but have a couple of questions if thats ok:

1) I live in the UK, will i still be able to pay and sign up?
2) How active are the forums over at L2?
3) From what ive read there is alot of info available, will it take over my life and will i get addicted to L2 ;) ?

Cheers

Offline Gary

« Reply #57 on: 12/23/2007 11:08 pm »
I'm in the UK and on L2. Chris made it very easy for me to sign up.
The forums are very active when there is a mission or mission troubleshooting but even where there isn't there is a still fresh content.
And for your last question - YES.

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #58 on: 12/23/2007 11:38 pm »
Gary - 23/12/2007  6:08 PM

I'm in the UK and on L2. Chris made it very easy for me to sign up.
The forums are very active when there is a mission or mission troubleshooting but even where there isn't there is a still fresh content.
And for your last question - YES.

What he said :)

Doesn't matter what country you're in. It automatically converts it on paypal, and the Brits have a great exchange rate. Apparently showing if you pay the 19.99 for two months, you'd only be charged nine pounds. And so on.

L2 rocks. It's not just the content, as it seems to be on the adverts, it's the real NASA and Shuttle engineers who are on there talking us all through the information and presentations. Very interactive, you can ask questions, you can even request stuff on the shopping lists and so on.

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
« Reply #59 on: 12/23/2007 11:43 pm »
bobblebob - 23/12/2007  6:57 PM

Seriously thinking about signing up to L2 but have a couple of questions if thats ok:

1) I live in the UK, will i still be able to pay and sign up?
2) How active are the forums over at L2?
3) From what ive read there is alot of info available, will it take over my life and will i get addicted to L2 ;) ?

Cheers

I know Gary answered, but..  I feel like puttin' my two cents in.  :laugh:

1) Yep.  You will.

2) Very.  When there's a mission going on, you get up to the minute updates (as they come in to the people WORKING for the Shuttle and such), and even updates that other sites don't get for hours.  NSF is truly the master at getting information.

3) Yes, there is a lot of information available.  It will get you addicted.  When I get on, I check the mission pages on L2 and then the other forums.  I'm hooked for life.  ;)

Offline bobblebob

« Reply #60 on: 12/24/2007 12:08 am »
Thanks alot for the responses

Offline AndrewSTS

• New York
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #61 on: 01/05/2008 09:15 pm »
Hi. Long time reader and enjoy the articles and how they are always first with the news. Thinking of  getting L2 as I'm finding the articles on the ECO troubleshooting very interesting. Are there some presentations on this in L2 that are the sort of thing Space Shuttle managers actually look at in this process?

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #62 on: 01/05/2008 09:19 pm »
That's exactly what L2 is composed of...

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #63 on: 01/05/2008 09:30 pm »
AndrewSTS - 5/1/2008  10:15 PM

Hi. Long time reader and enjoy the articles and how they are always first with the news. Thinking of  getting L2 as I'm finding the articles on the ECO troubleshooting very interesting. Are there some presentations on this in L2 that are the sort of thing Space Shuttle managers actually look at in this process?

Welcome to the site, and as Rob said.....yep. They are the actual ones Mr Hale and company actually look at.

This is part - not all - of the list of L2 STS-122 ECO/Connector related presentations etc. from the L2 Cloud (click for larger images to make them readable).

Offline AndrewSTS

• New York
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #64 on: 01/07/2008 05:07 pm »
Joined and I'm stunned by the level of information. Wish I had signed up for longer as I'll need more than two months to get through all that's in there!

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #65 on: 01/21/2008 04:59 pm »
Chris. Long time reader of your articles for a few years, great work, always get the news here first. I want to ask about STS-400 rescue for Hubble, I noticed you have images, but do you have some presentations on this and some on STS-125? Thank you.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #66 on: 01/21/2008 05:09 pm »
Longhorn John - 21/1/2008  5:59 PM

Chris. Long time reader of your articles for a few years, great work, always get the news here first. I want to ask about STS-400 rescue for Hubble, I noticed you have images, but do you have some presentations on this and some on STS-125? Thank you.

Hi John. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, we've got many presentations on STS-125 (About 50 pdfs) and STS-400 LON. I've screenshot the L2 Cloud for STS-125 below (and note that there's submenus that have many presentations too.

(Please click for a more readable view. Also reminds me I need to update the ECO ones above, as we've doubled that content since).

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
« Reply #67 on: 01/21/2008 08:00 pm »
Thanks. Joined. Very, VERY impressed with the tiny amount I've gotten through so far. I'm going to need a more comfortable chair!

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #68 on: 01/31/2008 09:05 pm »
Longhorn John - 21/1/2008  3:00 PM

Thanks. Joined. Very, VERY impressed with the tiny amount I've gotten through so far. I'm going to need a more comfortable chair!

Isn't that the truth. The pre-launch coverage of STS-122 has been amazing, and still ongoing. We're now seeing the power of having the actual engineers working the problem on L2 as it's like being inside the pad lately :)

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #69 on: 02/02/2008 04:01 pm »
Chris, the first screenshots of the L2 Cloud might need an update now, as look a lot more full now, compared to when these were taken.

And yes, L2 is amazing and just gets better!  :cool:

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #70 on: 02/02/2008 05:58 pm »
Jamie Young - 2/2/2008  5:01 PM

Chris, the first screenshots of the L2 Cloud might need an update now, as look a lot more full now, compared to when these were taken.

And yes, L2 is amazing and just gets better!  :cool:

Yep, I'll re-do later on. The intro page on the news site needs a revamp too.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #71 on: 02/05/2008 03:32 pm »
No problem if that happens, I manually make sure you are upgraded and that's carried out now.  :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #72 on: 02/05/2008 08:59 pm »
There is a message field, though that is only a failsafe. I normally cross reference when I recieve notification within a minute or so of the subscription to ensure upgrade regardless of entering that detail or not. I mail back the subscriber with instructions/overviews and a line of communication is instantly there, should there be any requirement of feedback and/or questions and we've never had a issue due to that.

We could have done it automated, like some sites, where a mailbot carries out the upgrade, but I personally feel the personal touch is the way to go, given without the L2 members, this site would not be operating.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #73 on: 02/05/2008 09:16 pm »
And as requested, here's the updated screenshots of the menu (L2 looks like four sections, but it's about 50).

1) The Cloud Menu Overview.
2) Clicking one sub menu, in this case STS-122, shows the next two images (in one page and scrolls down for about another three pages in this case!)

Offline Firestarter

« Reply #74 on: 02/07/2008 08:23 pm »
What's that on the ticker about hi res debris images? That's impossible for this flight, so I don't understand that, but intrigued, thanks.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #75 on: 02/07/2008 08:26 pm »
Images of debris from the tank, from this flight...

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: 02/07/2008 08:40 pm »
Firestarter - 7/2/2008  2:23 PM

What's that on the ticker about hi res debris images? That's impossible for this flight, so I don't understand that, but intrigued, thanks.

They started to show up within about 30 minutes of launch.  The mind boggles!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #77 on: 02/07/2008 08:45 pm »
I've had to thumbnail and remove some markings, but this sort of thing.....in hi res, 30 mins after launch  :cool:

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #78 on: 02/17/2008 10:05 pm »
I know there's more to come, but got to say I've loved being on L2 during another mission. Highly recommend it!

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
« Reply #79 on: 02/21/2008 08:24 pm »
First mission I've been on L2 for and I'd repeat Launch Fan's comment. Absolutely awesome.

« Reply #80 on: 02/22/2008 08:22 pm »
Just submitted my payment via paypall. How long does it take to active my account so i can get on L2?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #81 on: 02/22/2008 08:46 pm »
paulbacon - 22/2/2008  9:22 PM

Just submitted my payment via paypall. How long does it take to active my account so i can get on L2?

You're on now :) You'll also have recieved a confirmation e-mail.

Enjoy, and thanks for your support! :)

To answer the question for the purpose of the Q&A, it's usually within the hour, can be a lot faster (5 minutes or so).

« Reply #82 on: 02/22/2008 09:26 pm »
Thanks Chris :)

Im sure after the 2 months have expired i will sign up again for longer. Just want to give it a try before i commit to the annual fee

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #83 on: 03/04/2008 10:58 am »
Not sure what you mean? I'm in L2, and what's in the STS-123 Special is self explanatory, such as the FRR Presentations, Handbooks, Mission Presentations etc. And Aladdin's Cave has nothing on L2  :cool:

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #84 on: 03/04/2008 11:02 am »
NickMilner - 4/3/2008  11:50 AM

Just wanted to say hi and ask a quick question.  I discovered this place a bit by accident but it's like Aladdin's Cave!  I can see my ISP capping my bandwidth in the near future. ;)

Now I'm am a complete newbie at this.  I have no connection to the aerospace industry whatsoever and am just driven by a long standing but casual interest in space.  Hopefully I won't annoy people too much with my ignorant questions, so I'll start right away with:

Is there a thread that explains a little bit about what's in the STS-123 Special section?  There's a section intro but it just says "As per usual." ;)

Is there a FAQ that can help complete and utter newbies like myself?

I'll figure it out eventually in any case but at gentle push in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks!

Greetings!

I've moved your post here, as this thread will help you (see the first posts). I'll also PM you (check your Private Messages) to assist if you need it.

Offline NickMilner

« Reply #85 on: 03/05/2008 10:32 am »
SimonShuttle - 4/3/2008  11:58 AM

Not sure what you mean? I'm in L2, and what's in the STS-123 Special is self explanatory, such as the FRR Presentations, Handbooks, Mission Presentations etc. And Aladdin's Cave has nothing on L2  :cool:
Hi, I was just a bit overwealmed by the wealth of information at first and was looking for a single document that would provide a good overview to the mission.  I found it in the Mission Operations presentation.  I gained a good understanding of the mission from that one document and now I don't feel so lost when reading the other material. :)

Thanks.
"It's getting a little pink outside now" - Or, as I would have put it, "AAAAAARGH!"- How do they stay so          cool?

Offline BigRIJoe

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #86 on: 03/08/2008 04:11 pm »
Chris..........I sent a Paypal amount of $19.99 and included my screen name (BigRIJoe), with a confirmation number of **************....have not got a confirmation e-mail yet

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #87 on: 03/08/2008 04:22 pm »
Hi Joe - you're upgraded, and I'll also PM you the confirmation to make sure you have a copy.

Thanks again!
Chris.

Offline Riley1066

• Upstate New York
  • Liked: 11
L2 Payment Options
« Reply #88 on: 03/25/2008 01:40 pm »
Would it be possible for this forum to accept other payment methods besides Paypal? I do not feel comfortable using their systems and I feel that making that the ONLY means by which you can get L2 restricts the number of potential users quite a bit.
Go at Throttle Up!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #89 on: 03/25/2008 03:52 pm »
Hi Riley -

At present this is the only payment option we have as it's the best available. Given it's dominace in the online payment marketplace, we felt this would be the least restrictive option available to visitors wishing to join L2. When it is viable to do so, we will consider adding other options, but at present this has served us without a single issue over the lifetime of L2.

Offline Heather

« Reply #90 on: 03/26/2008 06:40 pm »
Hi. I see on the ticker a 1.9 gb video of a VAB and other parts tour? Would it be at all possible to see a sneak preview of that as my brother went crazy saying he wants to see it. He is a big fan of the VAB :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #91 on: 03/26/2008 06:52 pm »
Heather - 26/3/2008  7:40 PM

Hi. I see on the ticker a 1.9 gb video of a VAB and other parts tour? Would it be at all possible to see a sneak preview of that as my brother went crazy saying he wants to see it. He is a big fan of the VAB :)

Sure, we'll sort something out shortly...

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
« Reply #92 on: 03/27/2008 01:34 pm »
Heather - 26/3/2008  2:40 PM

Wait for the trailer, but it is the best video ever. Beats the re-entry camcorder video. The ride up the VAB elevator next to a stacked shuttle, all the way to the top, is surreal.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #93 on: 03/29/2008 07:56 pm »
Heather - 26/3/2008  7:40 PM

As promised:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12492&start=1

Offline daj24

• Liked: 6
« Reply #94 on: 03/31/2008 12:35 pm »
From today's (31-3-08) headline.  (Lots of information crammed in this one.  A great read!  Thanks Chris!)  Can someone detail what this statement is describing?

STS-119 is performance critical (S6 truss). Team determined that for contingency payload return, they were able to implement multi-stage de-orbit and gain 500 pounds of mass in the middeck, which helps Station.'

Sounds like if they have to down mass the S6 truss they are planning on some weight mitigation via a non-normal de-orbit burn.  How will this affect the middeck and how will that help the Station (ISS I assume).

TIA.
"You'll be a witness to that game of chance in the sky. You know we've got to win" D. Fagen

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #95 on: 03/31/2008 12:40 pm »
That's something really for the STS-119 thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11760&posts=8&start=1

But ironically, seen as you've posted in the L2 Overview thread (Chris, new cloud screenshots might be an idea!) I can say that L2 will have all the documentation you'll ever need on that mission to answer that question. It's mission specific coverage is stunning.

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #96 on: 04/07/2008 07:39 am »
What happened to the Forum Calendar on L2? I can't see it anymore.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #97 on: 04/07/2008 10:46 am »
pippin - 7/4/2008  8:39 AM

What happened to the Forum Calendar on L2? I can't see it anymore.

Hmm, don't know, but it's back, so I assume Mark saw this and corrected :)

Updated L2 Cloud as requested (the real L2 Menu):

Offline HenshawM

« Reply #98 on: 04/25/2008 08:41 pm »
I can't seem to post on this thread http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12676&posts=5&start=1 so I hope this is the right place, as I would just like to say thank you to Chris for putting me on for free. I have been using L2 to get my 4th Grade students interested in the space program and the videos and amazing presentations have been and continue to be a huge help. I wish you could have heard the "wows" from these young students when we showed some of the videos as an introduction. I'm sure they are now all converts to following past their studies.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #99 on: 04/25/2008 08:57 pm »
Thanks very much Margaret. That's awesome :)

Offline Davinator

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #100 on: 04/30/2008 08:19 pm »
Hey Chris, long time reader and lurker. Do you have anything on crew escape for shuttle in L2? I'm looking for the survival gear and escape procedures. Thank you.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #101 on: 04/30/2008 08:26 pm »
Davinator - 30/4/2008  9:19 PM

Hey Chris, long time reader and lurker. Do you have anything on crew escape for shuttle in L2? I'm looking for the survival gear and escape procedures. Thank you.

Yes, including a big one stop document (166 pages) which is probably going to be everything you need on the request.

Offline Davinator

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: 05/07/2008 03:54 pm »
Chris Bergin - 30/4/2008  3:26 PM

Davinator - 30/4/2008  9:19 PM

Yes, including a big one stop document (166 pages) which is probably going to be everything you need on the request.

Been on for a week now and I have to say L2 is amazing. So happy I found this place!

Offline ANDY_WALLACEGROVE

« Reply #103 on: 05/21/2008 10:52 am »
Since joining L2 last year i've been amazed by the sheer scale of information available
covering not just current systems (vehicles etc), but those under development

Whilst I recognise that the barriers of entry to this market are generally considered prohibitive, and you couldn't build an Orbiter from the manuals on L2, I struggle to believe that the technology/concepts/IP is not of some commercial value (especially to those care little for patent law). I would be surprised if Boeing or Airbus had their own L2 sites providing such technical data. Of course the cost of entry is significantly lower.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that this site is facilitating such activities, I am just wow'd at the openness and free-flowing access to data and, most importantly, expertise.

Or am I missing something?
To my friends I am geek, to you I am humble

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #104 on: 05/21/2008 01:38 pm »
ANDY_WALLACEGROVE - 21/5/2008  6:52 AM

I would be surprised if Boeing or Airbus had their own L2 sites providing such technical data. Of course the cost of entry is significantly lower.

No they don't... Their information is all proprietary. There's no way they'd let people send them $10 a month to get the internal specs of the 380 :)

- Rob

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #105 on: 05/30/2008 03:07 pm »
New L2 Promo video. Thanks to the guys at MaxQ!

Offline RafaelCE

• Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
« Reply #106 on: 05/30/2008 08:57 pm »
That's the heck of a promo! Amazed about the amount of videos, docs and images I recognized from the whole forum.
Will pass on to a lot of people!
"Good burn, Atlantis is a fantastic ship" STS-125 right after DOB

Offline eeergo

« Reply #107 on: 05/30/2008 09:07 pm »
Unmistakable MaxQ signature :) Great one, that should wake some curiosities!
-DaviD-

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
« Reply #108 on: 05/31/2008 12:00 am »
Where did the video go? I click the arrow button and it says the video is no longer available? Is it just me?
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #109 on: 05/31/2008 01:17 am »
Where did the video go? I click the arrow button and it says the video is no longer available? Is it just me?

Just you I think. Works for me. Direct link is (with an additional w at the beginning): ww.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFfQkTHOWg
« Last Edit: 05/31/2008 01:18 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
« Reply #110 on: 05/31/2008 01:31 am »
Thanks chris.. I agree, it must be me. the direct link to youtube works fine.. probably just software versions on my end.. Thanks for the link
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
« Reply #111 on: 05/31/2008 02:04 am »
Thanks chris.. I agree, it must be me. the direct link to youtube works fine.. probably just software versions on my end.. Thanks for the link

Works fine on the forums for me.

Unmistakable MaxQ signature :) Great one, that should wake some curiosities!

We appreciate all the good reviews and critiques we receive, and we would love all that we can get, too!  Thank you!

That's the heck of a promo! Amazed about the amount of videos, docs and images I recognized from the whole forum.
Will pass on to a lot of people!

L2's not a joke, you get what you pay for (and more)!  There's so much that we haven't covered in this video, though.  L2 wouldn't fit into a four or five hour video, no joke!  Absolutely amazing.  I've been on it for about 9 months now, and I'm still not 1/4th of the way through it.

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
« Reply #112 on: 06/01/2008 05:55 pm »
That is a very good video.

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #113 on: 06/10/2008 10:05 pm »

Been on L2 for over a year, and that video doesn't do it justice, but it's still well produced.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #114 on: 06/29/2008 02:58 am »
Did I read the ticker right?  "L2 now over 4,000 GB in size."  That's over 4 Terabytes!
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
« Reply #115 on: 06/29/2008 03:13 am »
Did I read the ticker right?  "L2 now over 4,000 GB in size."  That's over 4 Terabytes!

I wouldn't be surprised.  L2 has more documents than you can read in a lifetime if you were to subscribe now.  It's amazing, really.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #116 on: 06/29/2008 03:41 am »
Oh, I'm already on L2. ;)  I know how many documents, videos, and overall content there is, and I agree, it's amazing.

I guess I just never realized it could be that much.  I mean 4 terabytes.  Wow!
« Last Edit: 06/29/2008 03:44 am by Andrewwski »
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline Davinator

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: 07/08/2008 05:24 pm »
Good promo video, but people like I was will be surprised when they actually join as L2 is a monster that no video will ever do justice. Never been so adicted to a site before like I am now with L2. Really is amazing.

Offline cb6785

• First Officer MD11F / Simulator Instructor
  • EDDS/STR
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #118 on: 07/23/2008 10:09 pm »
Watched the video, got the subscription and it's worth every cent! Can't stop reading (and I will have stuff to read for this and the next few lifes ;) )...
You know, if I’d had a seat you wouldn’t still see me in this thing. - Chuck Yeager

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #119 on: 07/26/2008 02:41 pm »
Hi, I'm thinking of joining L2. I hear mentions of a tag cloud which is like a submenu on top of the L2 sections. Is it this, http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags , as it seems to be missing things which must be on L2 from what I see in the article overviews?

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: 07/26/2008 02:58 pm »
I don't believe the tag cloud is a complete index, but rather a quick index of the most common topics.  It's quite useful.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #121 on: 07/26/2008 03:01 pm »
Hi, I'm thinking of joining L2. I hear mentions of a tag cloud which is like a submenu on top of the L2 sections. Is it this, http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags , as it seems to be missing things which must be on L2 from what I see in the article overviews?

Welcome to the site.

Good question, answer is no - what you're seeing as a non L2 member is actually an experiment on bringing a cloud to the open section to aid people's searches on the open forum. We'll probably need to remove that as I can see it's confusing.

As an L2 member, we have a working L2 Tag Cloud, and I'll show you - and others - how it works with an example:

1) What you see when you click the L2 tag cloud (as an L2 member).
2) For example, you click "Apollo" and that takes you to a submenu on all Apollo elements in L2.
3) You click an item on the Apollo section - in this case I've used the example of a Gene Kranz address to Constellation last year (has lots of videos and images of Apollo/Saturn development and CxP work with Kranz commentating.)
4) You either play or download it to your harddrive.

« Last Edit: 07/26/2008 03:48 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
« Reply #122 on: 07/26/2008 03:17 pm »
Thanks Chris, that completely answers my question!

How long does it take to join from time of making payment?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #123 on: 07/26/2008 03:24 pm »
Thanks Chris, that completely answers my question!

How long does it take to join from time of making payment?

Couple of minutes during the day, within the hour overnight.

You then get an overview e-mail from me, though the sections open up the next time you refresh the site. Anyone can PM me as I'm always around if there's any questions or need for help :)

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
« Reply #124 on: 07/28/2008 05:21 pm »
Reporting back after a weekend and a day on L2. Already want to extend past two months as I think I'll need it just to catch up. Knew it was good from previous comments, and the promo video and this thread helps, but it really is something special here, a lot more than I assumed it was. VERY Happy!!

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #125 on: 08/08/2008 08:45 pm »
Sorry if this is not obvious, but where do I click for the page to join L2?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #126 on: 08/08/2008 08:52 pm »
Sorry if this is not obvious, but where do I click for the page to join L2?

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/l2/ :)

=============

Additional: Don't forget to add your username, especially if you are using a different e-mail address than what you signed up to the site with. If unsure, e-mail me at [email protected]
« Last Edit: 08/08/2008 10:11 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #127 on: 09/09/2008 04:59 pm »
Had L2 for a month now and I'm not even 10% through the amazing content on there. Amazing place, heaven for a shuttle fan. Thank you so much for this site.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #128 on: 09/09/2008 05:57 pm »
Had L2 for a month now and I'm not even 10% through the amazing content on there. Amazing place, heaven for a shuttle fan. Thank you so much for this site.

I'm happy you're happy :)

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
« Reply #129 on: 10/21/2008 06:29 pm »
Chris, what do I need to do to renew when my subscription ends? Is there a way to do this just before it runs out? Don't want to miss even a day on L2, very addictive!!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #130 on: 10/21/2008 06:39 pm »
Chris, what do I need to do to renew when my subscription ends? Is there a way to do this just before it runs out? Don't want to miss even a day on L2, very addictive!!

Thanks :) You'll get an e-mail from me with about a week remaining on your term to give you the option of renewing. That option allows for both renewing when you're able, or in advance (in which case we add on the overlapping days to your new term - so you don't miss out on any value by advance re-subscribing), or the member can simply allow the subscription term to run out.

At any point, if anyone has any questions, simply send me an e-mail. It's all "humanized" by yours truly on questions, rather than having to deal with a bot ;)
« Last Edit: 10/21/2008 06:40 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #131 on: 11/17/2008 07:11 pm »
I'm so happy to be on L2. Today is a great example of what it can do. Aamazing amount of presentations, images, info and video for just one or two days of STS-126. I highly reccommed it!

Offline tconnell

• Newport Beach California
« Reply #132 on: 11/22/2008 08:24 pm »
Hi Jay, I am a new user, How would I go about seeing that video you mention in your posting ?

Thanks Tim

I only recently got access to L2.  My impressions are that the diversity of material is pretty good (Chris said above more sections will come in time), but the level of detail is somewhere between ridiculous and insane.  If Wayne Hale has all that stuff in his head (and you know he does, and more), I'm even more impressed than I was before.

But that STS-93 video is over-the-top.  What that team got done between launch and MECO 8 1/2 minutes later is astonishing to me.  And the amount of terror in their voices as multiple things were going wrong simultaneously on a vehicle with people they know on board - zero.  I've watched it about 25 times.  It's hugely impressive on many levels.

The other videos, images, documents and presentations (of which there are tons) are quite nice as well, but as on the main forum, Chris is there to keep it all organized and so L2 acts not as a large pile of raw data (like Googling "Constellation Program" would), but a relatively easy-to-use database of information, people and explanations.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #133 on: 11/23/2008 03:12 pm »
Hi Jay, I am a new user, How would I go about seeing that video you mention in your posting ?

Thanks Tim

You'd need to be an L2 member, Tim. There's a couple of clips from the video referenced on the attachments in this post:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=9944.msg189521#msg189521

Offline tconnell

• Newport Beach California
I WANT A PAID SUBSCRIPTION ?
« Reply #134 on: 11/23/2008 07:11 pm »
Can anyone help me figure out how to start a paid subscription so I can get access to all areas of L2 ?

Thanks a lot

Tim Connell
                           949-201-8992
                      [email protected]

PLEASE NOTE: THE L2 TICKER IS AN ADVERT WHICH SUMMARIZES WHAT IS ON L2.

Most of you have heard of it, a number of you are members on it, but this is an open forum thread to give a better - more up to date - overview, review, Q&A and one stop shop for some of the L2 samples that are dotted around the site for what is a unique subscription service, which we believe is by far the best subscription service for space flight followers.

The main signup and overview/intro page: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/L2/ (this covers most elements, although I will add some screenshots below).

Previous thread with questions and comments: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1669&start=1

Please feel free to post questions here, or PM me if you wish to contact me personally.

L2 is four sections (with more to come in time):
1) Mission Special (currently L2 STS-120 Special) - which is an MMT (Management Level) service which reached 1,700 megabytes worth of data during STS-118.

2) Space Flight L2: Shuttle, ISS and current vehicles, the main host area of the L2 Cloud sub menus (see below).

3) Space Flight L2: Constellation and Future: Mainly dedicated to Ares/Orion, but also other new vehicles and EELVs etc.

4) Space Flight L2: The Ultimate Video Section: Home of the superb re-entry videos, but also includes a number of unique Shuttle related videos, Constellation overview videos, ISS tours etc.

Everything on L2 is not available on ANY other site. On the rare occasions we do break news/images etc, and a few weeks later NASA decide to release them publicly, we lock or wipe it off L2.

Each section as a request form, which our sources (we have a lot of those) use to send us further L2 information as per request. You can also post further questions on the information in L2 due to the forum format. One of the major strengths of L2 is the large amount of actual space industry on L2 who are happy to answer questions/elaborate on what is contained in there, especially during missions.

Nothing on L2 is ITAR, Export Control, SBU or Proprietary.

So first, here's a screenshot of the L2 Cloud - a special menu which breaks down specific sections we have a large amount of presentations etc. contained within.

Let's show an example.

Image 1: The L2 Cloud (which you will see in the top bar menu as an L2 user).
Image 2: Member clicks on STS-125 (and goes to that menu).
Image 3: Selects the highlighted "thread" and download the full presentation by clicking what is highlighted, which incidentally also works for Orion.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #135 on: 11/23/2008 07:13 pm »
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/l2/

Read it, scroll to the bottom, make your payment, and wait a few minutes until Chris approves your subscription.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #136 on: 11/23/2008 08:25 pm »
Can anyone help me figure out how to start a paid subscription so I can get access to all areas of L2 ?

The subscripion links are below the video (looking your quoted post, it only went half way down the page). No matter, as you successfully subscribed and you have the confirmation e-mail from me by now :) Thanks!

Need any help finding anything on L2, PM me and I'll help you find your feet in there.
« Last Edit: 11/23/2008 08:26 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline STSMartinG

• JSC
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #137 on: 11/25/2008 07:23 pm »
Firstly, I would like to thank Chris for making L2 free to NASA employees, that is something you can't expect from the other space site subscription services, which are poor bedfellows to what I've already seen from just browsing through L2. Very, very impressed, especially with the level of CxP coverage, and more so with the amount of collegues that are providing answers to the more complex presentations. A service to interested members of the public, but also a service as a centralized area for those of us who work in the Program.

Seen as the subscriptions pay for the cost of the servers, rather than the stock price of a faceless media corporation, I will be sending a payment anyway. This site deserves everyone's support.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #138 on: 11/25/2008 08:25 pm »
Thank you sir!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #139 on: 12/03/2008 05:54 am »
With reference to our ongoing association with SSM2007:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=12628.msg340811#msg340811

SSM2007 members can now gain a discount to L2. Also, current (and future for this month) L2 members can gain the same discount when purchasing the sim (I've got it and it's stunning - and you all know me, I wouldn't say that if I didn't think so :)).

http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/
« Last Edit: 12/03/2008 05:55 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
« Reply #140 on: 12/03/2008 02:37 pm »
Chris, stunning is an absolute understatement.  You would expect that kind of work from NASA themselves!

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #141 on: 02/11/2009 08:15 pm »
It might be a good idea to update the thread with the new forum pages like the tag cloud for L2? ;)
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #142 on: 02/11/2009 08:26 pm »
It might be a good idea to update the thread with the new forum pages like the tag cloud for L2? ;)

Actually, that's a good idea. I'll look into replacing the graphics in the opening posts.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #143 on: 02/11/2009 09:50 pm »
Random request: how about making the little (new) badge on the thread titles a different color instead of blue like the rest so that it stands out a little more?  I just started using it, and like it a lot; but sometimes I forget to check the ones under the pinned threads at the top.  Red, black, green, orange, whatever.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography