Author Topic: ARES I-X: NASA Knowledge Session  (Read 8042 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8817
  • Likes Given: 7823
ARES I-X: NASA Knowledge Session
« on: 08/05/2017 03:34 am »
ARES I-X: Introduction

Playlist:

Introduction Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZAcw3Zm9hw?t=001

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
Re: ARES I-X: NASA Knowledge Session
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2017 06:36 am »
This was nearly 8 years ago. Fun to watch any reason for the video being issued?

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2017 07:25 am »
I don't understand how the same organization that thought Aries I-X was a good idea can also think its reasonable to fly EM-1 around the moon with a crew (just a little too expensive).

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #3 on: 08/05/2017 08:55 am »
I don't understand how the same organization that thought Aries I-X was a good idea can also think its reasonable to fly EM-1 around the moon with a crew (just a little too expensive).

That is easy basic politics. If you want to keep your job you do not say "No" the the President. You can how every drop a few hints that it would be inadvisable. Money is a good hint.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #4 on: 08/07/2017 05:56 pm »

That is easy basic politics. If you want to keep your job you do not say "No" the the President. You can how every drop a few hints that it would be inadvisable. Money is a good hint.

You can also frame it as, "yes, but it will cost $X,XXX to bring the risk to acceptable levels," where $X,XXX is quite a bit more than the target audience wants to spend.

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #5 on: 08/07/2017 08:52 pm »
Ares I was one of those ideas that seemed like a good one on the surface but the devil was in the details esp with the requirements forced by the 1.5 launch architecture and a minimum of LEO assembly for lunar missions.

It might have worked if they stuck with the spiral development program so they were not forced to try and meet a 25+ ton payload target on the first version or drop the requirement that it have only a single upper stage engine.

Though the vehicle would have made a lot more sense during 1990s when low cost EELV class vehicles simply were not available.
« Last Edit: 08/07/2017 08:54 pm by Patchouli »

Offline Propylox

• Colorado
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: 08/08/2017 03:57 am »
It might have worked if they stuck with the spiral development program so they were not forced to try and meet a 25+ ton payload target on the first version or drop the requirement that it have only a single upper stage engine. ...
25mT wasn't an issue, nor was a single J-2X. Having to use the same size solid as AresV was the problem. A reduction to a 3.5segment reduces the minimum mass of the 2nd stage so J-2X could actually lift it, resulting in 25mT to LEO and 10mT to GTO with a solid 3rd stage. Discuss here;
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=9460.msg1709872#msg1709872

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography