Author Topic: Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon 1972-2013 by Dennis Jenkins  (Read 40053 times)

Offline ZANL188

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6
The 3 volume Dennis Jenkins shuttle book is due in February.  Available at the Specialty Press web site.

Offline mtakala24

The 3 volume Dennis Jenkins shuttle book is due in February.  Available at the Specialty Press web site.

Thanks for the update! Would have pre-ordered, but shipping would have been 120 dollars... Hoping for Amazon listing.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171

Thanks for the update! Would have pre-ordered, but shipping would have been 120 dollars... Hoping for Amazon listing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580072496

Offline mtakala24

Yep, found that already but was on my phone. Shipping was expensive there too, but Amazon.de gave me free shipping to Finland!

I'm going to split this to a separate thread (or another mod will), as this truly is a milestone release and the previous editions have been so highly regarded. (edit: And thats done!)

Limited Edition signed copy from Specialty Press:
http://www.specialtypress.com/space-shuttle-developing-an-icon-1972-2013-limited-signed-edition.html

Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580072496/
Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1580072496/
Amazon.de: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580072496/
« Last Edit: 12/24/2016 08:19 am by mtakala24 »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Thanks for the UK link. £138 over here with free shipping.

Offline ZANL188

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6
Thanks for the thread split!

I'm really looking forward to this book... Not many books (or other products for that matter) that I'd wait over a decade for.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81689
  • Likes Given: 36949
Wow, fantastic to see this will be published soon (and just before my birthday too ... :D).

IIRC his 3rd edition STS history was less than 600 pages, so "1,584 pages filled with over 1 million words and nearly 4,000 photos and line drawings" is quite an increase! No question this will be the definitive shuttle book.

Offline mtakala24

Wow, fantastic to see this will be published soon (and just before my birthday too ... :D).

It will arrive around a month after my birthday, so I don't need to think of anything else for me this year. I tried to get a previous edition in 2003-2004 timeframe when I didn't have credit card and Amazon, Ebay and Paypal pretty much weren't an option. Finally being able to pre-order this book kind of made my Christmas too.

Offline mtakala24

Very nice additional details about the book on Collectspace:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/002996.html

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Love this snippet about the development of the various editions. Bold is my emphasis.

Here is what Dennis writes in his preface to "Developing an Icon":
When I wrote the mini-edition of what became this book in 1988, the response was overwhelmingly positive, leading me to write the first of the expanded hardcover editions. By the time I finished in 1991, however, Aerofax was largely out of business and other publishers said there would never be a market for more than 500 copies of a book on space shuttle; all declined to publish it. Believing there was a story to be told, I published the book myself. Roger D. Launius, then chief historian at NASA, took notice and coached me on how to make the book more authoritative; the improvement was evident in later editions. By late 2016, more than 100,000 copies of three editions had passed.
This is more than an update to the previous edition; it is a complete rewrite and will obviously be the last.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2017 07:00 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
Any further word on this book? I pre-ordered it from Amazon, which at the time said publication would be February 15, 2017. Now it says "shipping in one to two months".

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
Nothing seems to have changed on the book's homepage. Says coming in February 2017 (still have half a month left :) )

Offline gwiz

• Cornwall
  • Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 29
Amazon UK lists my copy arrival date as 10-13 March.

Offline clevelas

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 4
Any further word on this book? I pre-ordered it from Amazon, which at the time said publication would be February 15, 2017. Now it says "shipping in one to two months".

Per the CollectSpace link a few comments back, it sounds like Speciality Press won't get them until around the 20th, then shipping after that.  How that affects Amazon orders, I have no idea.

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
Will there be a Kindle edition?

Kidding! Kidding!

I've been waiting for the final edition of the Jenkins book for a long time. Just found the listing on Amazon for this and placed my order straight away.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
Amazon is far more expensive than direct.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Amazon is far more expensive than direct.

Not if you live outside of the US! Amazon UK are charging a reasonable (UK) postage cost whereas Speciality Press charge a similar price to the book for shipping.

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 334
Got an email from them saying it's delayed. Expect delivery between March 9th and may 22nd. Wow.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Amazon UK now lists publication date as Feb 24 and I've just received an email saying my order is due Mar 20 (it was previously Mar 10, so a day for day slip based on revised publication date). The email says the date change is due to a change in release date from the supplier, so I hope it's accurate!

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
Per the author the books are here in the US and being sent from the warehouse this weekend.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography