Author Topic: Space Exploration Vehicle Concept  (Read 153348 times)

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
Re: Space Exploration Vehicle Concept
« Reply #80 on: 08/24/2012 08:31 pm »
Fun Vid, but wheres the DSH?
http://www.space.com/12324-asteroid-bound-animated-nasa-mission.html

Is there a CONOP for goiung to a NEo with just orion and a SEV?

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #81 on: 09/04/2012 09:44 pm »
some nice simulation/animation images of the SSMV at an asteroid.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #82 on: 12/02/2012 06:36 pm »
Looks like another mock-up has been built.

Photos taken from reddit.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #83 on: 12/05/2012 06:57 pm »

I wonder if the mock-up on the right is an older version that was brought back (for what?). The quality of the build does not look as good as the MMSEV on the left.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #84 on: 12/05/2012 07:22 pm »

I wonder if the mock-up on the right is an older version that was brought back (for what?). The quality of the build does not look as good as the MMSEV on the left.
One on right looks more realistic. Like an Apollo Lunar Module reboot. Smaller, more efficient.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #85 on: 12/05/2012 08:01 pm »

One on right looks more realistic. Like an Apollo Lunar Module reboot. Smaller, more efficient.

Image on the right has the hatch closed and access to the hatch area blockled off, while the image on the left has both the hatch and hatch access open. To me that indicates that the SEV mockup on the left is currently active and is likely the most current design.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #86 on: 12/05/2012 08:05 pm »

Image on the right has the hatch closed and access to the hatch area blockled off, while the image on the left has both the hatch and hatch access open. To me that indicates that the SEV mockup on the left is currently active and is likely the most current design.
Or it could be they're readying the design on the right.

Either way, I hope they get the design nailed down enough to start producing engineering test articles one of these years. Lighter the better, as long as you can fit 2 crew comfortably (ala Apollo) and 4 for long enough for transit to and from the surface (of the Moon, another moon, or even perhaps Mars).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #87 on: 12/05/2012 08:45 pm »

Either way, I hope they get the design nailed down enough to start producing engineering test articles one of these years. Lighter the better, as long as you can fit 2 crew comfortably (ala Apollo) and 4 for long enough for transit to and from the surface (of the Moon, another moon, or even perhaps Mars).
i don't recall a "rocket pack" that was big enough to support a lunar landing, is there a citation\thread for this - if so way cool, I like the MMSEV concept. certainly the in-space version will be just fine for asteroid operations, but I question the moon lander mods.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #88 on: 12/05/2012 08:52 pm »
Nothing really solid (RE:landing the SEV), but it has been mentioned in a few places. The one on the right DOES look awfully like the Apollo LM cabin.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #89 on: 12/05/2012 08:59 pm »
Nothing really solid (RE:landing the SEV), but it has been mentioned in a few places. The one on the right DOES look awfully like the Apollo LM cabin.

Which is the 1st clue to me that it is the "older" design. They started with what worked before and ended up with what's on the left by incorporating "lessons learned" from dealing with that design.

Of course YMMV :)

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #90 on: 12/05/2012 09:00 pm »
maybe a separate thread
"what would it take to land the SEV on the moon"

- could the rocket pack get the SEV back to LLO, or a separate ascent vehicle, is it better to have a short duration lander where the astronauts transfer to the SEV for a week, similar to the Boeing proposal. Cargo lander down mass for the SEV - many questions.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #91 on: 12/05/2012 09:02 pm »
maybe a separate thread
"what would it take to land the SEV on the moon"

- could the rocket pack get the SEV back to LLO, or a separate ascent vehicle, is it better to have a short duration lander where the astronauts transfer to the SEV for a week, similar to the Boeing proposal. Cargo lander down mass for the SEV - many questions.
It'd probably take just as much as it took for the Apollo LM.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #92 on: 12/05/2012 09:07 pm »

Which is the 1st clue to me that it is the "older" design. They started with what worked before and ended up with what's on the left by incorporating "lessons learned" from dealing with that design.

Of course YMMV :)
SEV actually started out as the pressurized rover. In fact, the very first page of this thread shows the evolution of the SEV, and nowhere does this design on the right show its face, which means it's surely a /new/ design. It looks good to me, actually. Small is beautiful, since it increases the chance of it actually being used. And being small, it's also more likely to be useful in any particular architecture. For about the same fabrication costs as one of the larger ones, you can make two engineering test articles, for instance. Also, the rounder shape is more efficient mass-wise.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #93 on: 12/05/2012 09:10 pm »
You know,

If you stretched it out about 5 feet from behind the side hatches, (Putting the suits in their own clamshell enclosures on each side) setup a standard docking hatch on the far end, docked it with a hab module surrounded by a Human Rated Skycrane landing stage, that could work quite nicely.  Bring the six wheeled Rover platform uder it, lift and detach, and you have a lunar rover, and a basic lunar base module.

When the mission is over, redock the front module, reload the flight software , refuel from the robotic tanker (from the L-2 fuel depot) that landed near the craft, and take off again.

Tanker type automated landers would likely be similar in configuration to the Falcon 9 Grasshopper that SpaceX is experimenting with, but with only 2 to 3 main engines.  Comparitively, the tanker would only need a small fraction of the total fuel load to land in 1/6th Gee, and after offloading the majority of the fuel to the reusable lunar lander, only a fraction of the fuel to launch again and set up a spiral orbit to rendevous with the L-2 fuel and supply depot.  (Somehow, I keep wanting to call it Stucky's One)

The lander would then take off and dock with the Orion based tug to return the craft to it's garage at L-2, where it can be checked out maintenanced and refurbished for the next lunar landing.

Simply put, the current system of disposable stages and rockets is unbelivably wasteful and drives the per launch costs right through the roof.  The ONLY way space development can become economical is either developing reusable craft and stages or making the upper stages part of the payload packages themselves.  (Dry for wet habitat modules, etc).

But I'm getting off topic.

Not only does this multi-use module have much better viewing capibilities, I suspect it has vast untapped potentile for near space to deep space uses.

Jason
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #94 on: 12/05/2012 09:11 pm »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #95 on: 12/05/2012 09:12 pm »

Like I said - YMMV
Maybe you just /want/ the larger design to be the newer one? All good evidence points to the smaller one being new.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #96 on: 12/05/2012 09:13 pm »

Like I said - YMMV
Maybe you just /want/ the larger design to be the newer one? All good evidence points to the smaller one being new.

No, dont /want/ anything - I just hold a different opinion that yours :)

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #97 on: 12/05/2012 09:36 pm »
You know,

If you stretched it out about 5 feet from behind the side hatches, (Putting the suits in their own clamshell enclosures on each side) setup a standard docking hatch on the far end, docked it with a hab module surrounded by a Human Rated Skycrane landing stage, that could work quite nicely.  Bring the six wheeled Rover platform uder it, lift and detach, and you have a lunar rover, and a basic lunar base module.

When the mission is over, redock the front module, reload the flight software , refuel from the robotic tanker (from the L-2 fuel depot) that landed near the craft, and take off again.

Tanker type automated landers would likely be similar in configuration to the Falcon 9 Grasshopper that SpaceX is experimenting with, but with only 2 to 3 main engines.  Comparitively, the tanker would only need a small fraction of the total fuel load to land in 1/6th Gee, and after offloading the majority of the fuel to the reusable lunar lander, only a fraction of the fuel to launch again and set up a spiral orbit to rendevous with the L-2 fuel and supply depot.  (Somehow, I keep wanting to call it Stucky's One)

The lander would then take off and dock with the Orion based tug to return the craft to it's garage at L-2, where it can be checked out maintenanced and refurbished for the next lunar landing.

Simply put, the current system of disposable stages and rockets is unbelivably wasteful and drives the per launch costs right through the roof.  The ONLY way space development can become economical is either developing reusable craft and stages or making the upper stages part of the payload packages themselves.  (Dry for wet habitat modules, etc).

But I'm getting off topic.

Not only does this multi-use module have much better viewing capibilities, I suspect it has vast untapped potentile for near space to deep space uses.

Jason
The existing skycrane would be about 25% of what would be required to land a SEV (unmanned) while the Apollo LM with the SEV in place of the ascent stage would work - not hard to see a technical solution and path forward to landing a SEV on the moon. Getting it back to orbit would require something like a dual Apollo ascent engine cluster (manned). Agian, no new technology here, but a development path required. A DTAL like approach would also work, with the SEV as the payload.  In my mind, is this cost effective?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #98 on: 12/05/2012 09:38 pm »
I think the new SEV may be significantly lighter than the fatter one. Closer to the Apollo LM ascent stage (which, when dry, was only 2mT).

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #99 on: 12/05/2012 09:52 pm »

i don't recall a "rocket pack" that was big enough to support a lunar landing, is there a citation\thread for this - if so way cool, I like the MMSEV concept. certainly the in-space version will be just fine for asteroid operations, but I question the moon lander mods.
There are no plans to use it as the basis for a lander.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography