Author Topic: SpaceX's Reisman ready for the next giant leap with Dragon V2  (Read 28212 times)

Online Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/06/spacexs-reisman-next-giant-leap-dragon-v2/

Article one from Helo's great video of the post Dragon V2 event. Standalone thread, to allow posts specific to what Dr. Reisman covered and to allow us to build threads to spread the load.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
Good article. On the issue of downselect, it is possible that the downselect will not happen right away. CCtCap allows for downselect in a later phase of CCtCap.   

See this link:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32412.msg1186622#msg1186622
« Last Edit: 06/03/2014 01:48 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/06/spacexs-reisman-next-giant-leap-dragon-v2/

Article one from Helo's great video of the post Dragon V2 event. Standalone thread, to allow posts specific to what Dr. Reisman covered and to allow us to build threads to spread the load.

Great article, Chris!  That is a very solid narrative working in the technical facts we know, especially the Reisman-confirmed subset, while leaving more of what we now know to be expanded from the great interview our very own intrepid reporter Helodriver brought back from Hawthorne.

I really like your approach of doing a series of articles on the DV2, and expect them to be far ahead of the mainstream space press for technical content and veracity after you are complete in the next week or two.

Cheers,
 Llian
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
Chris- Awesome article.  NASASpaceflight.com continues to stay ahead of the power curve WRT to timely and accurate Space reporting!  Thanks.

Online Chris Bergin

Thanks guys! All I need is content, tank up on sandwiches and I'll write 'till my fingers drop off! ;D

And yes, the downselect isn't an immediate threat and it's good they are holding back on that as much as possible. It's going to come at some point, however, sadly.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Thanks guys! All I need is content, tank up on sandwiches and I'll write 'till my fingers drop off! ;D

And yes, the downselect isn't an immediate threat and it's good they are holding back on that as much as possible. It's going to come at some point, however, sadly.
Great article Chris! :) Kudos to Helodriver for asking great questions and getting some nice new info... ;)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
Very good article Chris, and YES!! - Helodriver did a great job at the V2 event.   
DM

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 594
Really enjoyed that. Didn't know they will try the Soyuz/Progress six hour rendezvous!

Offline yg1968

Yes, I agree. I am hoping that they will not downselect until they award CRS2. CRS2 awards were originally planned for February 2015 but it might get pushed by a few months (probably to mid-2015).  The logic for delaying downselection until at least mid-2015 would be to provide continuity for new CRS2 entrants (Boeing and SNC).

P.S. The due date for the proposals for CRS2 was pushed by 4 months. So it's logical to assume that the award date for CRS2 will also get pushed by 4 months. See this thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34093.msg1203648#msg1203648
« Last Edit: 06/03/2014 04:24 pm by yg1968 »

Online Chris Bergin

Yes, I agree. I am hoping that they will not downselect until they award CRS2. CRS2 awards were originally planned for February 2015 but it might get pushed by a few months (probably to mid-2015).  The logic for delaying downselection until at least mid-2015 would be to provide continuity for new CRS2 entrants (Boeing and SNC).

P.S. The due date for the proposals for CRS2 was pushed by 4 months. So it's logical to assume that the award date for CRS2 will also get pushed by 4 months. See this thread:

That would be pretty good, but it's been intimated to me that they would rather downselect and increase funding as the IOC date is the priority.

And they'd be right. Why part fund three when they could look to accelerate two.

Online Chris Bergin

Garrett Reisman retweeted the article! ;D

Offline somepitch

• Vancouver
  • Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 421

Gotta love all the public NSF love by SpaceX'ers recently! :D

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 437
Very good info. 

I still tend to think that Elon plans to push the schedule up as much as humanly possible, in order to take advantage of the current Russian issues. 
I think I remember a quote from Elon awhile back that said once the crew version of Dragon was ready, they'd retire the old Dragon so they could fly just one craft, in a cargo and crew version.  The animation showed a v1 Dragon at the ISS when the V2 gets there, but that could just be for reference.  So you can see how the two are different.  Especially since the V1 dragon still has it's pop out solar panels which I though they were planning on going away from in the near future?

So, I wonder if we'll see a V2 dragon on a COTS mission in the near future, rigged with a life support system, and landing propulsively.  Then a presser where Elon comes out and says something like, "That Dragon V2 that just landed was fully capable of carrying a crew and returning them safely to Earth.  As soon as we finish adding the crew access arm to the tower at LC-39A, and finish our pad abort test of the LAS system (in X-amount of time) , there'd be absolutely no reason for another US crew to fly on a Russian Soyuz." 
Which would undoubtedly cause a flurry of press and political questions to start being asked.  And none of the other two commercial crew condendors could be ready that soon, as they are chugging along at the rate of the NASA milestone awards.

Elon seems to like to stir the pot like that.
« Last Edit: 06/03/2014 06:15 pm by Lobo »

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2

Gotta love all the public NSF love by SpaceX'ers recently! :D

Guess we'll all have to chip in on that  pony for Chris ;)
DM

Online Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3673
  • Likes Given: 3551

Are you going to give him a lifetime L2 membership?  ;D

Offline StephenB

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 201

At a later point though, the programs will be more advanced with some spectacular testing done and on YouTube, and one can only hope that could result in shaking loose additional funding.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
Very good info. 

I still tend to think that Elon plans to push the schedule up as much as humanly possible, in order to take advantage of the current Russian issues. 
I think I remember a quote from Elon awhile back that said once the crew version of Dragon was ready, they'd retire the old Dragon so they could fly just one craft, in a cargo and crew version.  The animation showed a v1 Dragon at the ISS when the V2 gets there, but that could just be for reference.  So you can see how the two are different.  Especially since the V1 dragon still has it's pop out solar panels which I though they were planning on going away from in the near future?

So, I wonder if we'll see a V2 dragon on a COTS mission in the near future, rigged with a life support system, and landing propulsively.  Then a presser where Elon comes out and says something like, "That Dragon V2 that just landed was fully capable of carrying a crew and returning them safely to Earth.  As soon as we finish adding the crew access arm to the tower at LC-39A, and finish our pad abort test of the LAS system (in X-amount of time) , there'd be absolutely no reason for another US crew to fly on a Russian Soyuz." 
Which would undoubtedly cause a flurry of press and political questions to start being asked.  And none of the other two commercial crew condendors could be ready that soon, as they are chugging along at the rate of the NASA milestone awards.

Elon seems to like to stir the pot like that.
Elon mentioned, post D2 announcement I believe, that they do intend to phase out D1 over the next few years and have D2 provide both functions. Until D2 is ready though, they will continue to develop both D1 & D2 separately.
« Last Edit: 06/03/2014 06:47 pm by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086

That's awesome!

Gentle reader, have YOU retweeted  and FB shared this great article??? It's s easy to do. Just go to the bottom, click on the icon, add some pithy remark and away you go.  Everyone reading this thread and telling Chris how great the article is hopefully already did.

Spread the goodness that is NSF to your circle of friends.  Because NSF **IS** ahead of the curve and gaining.

Are you going to give him a lifetime L2 membership?  ;D

Space industry professionals are eligible for L2 on providing proof of their employment.
« Last Edit: 06/03/2014 06:50 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Razvan

• United States
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 53
Reading Dr. Reisman's enlightning article, I am pretty sure NASA will say: "Show me the Dragon..."
And secondly, I now believe all that shutting down Space Shuttle program has been an intelligent decision...

Offline yg1968

That would be pretty good, but it's been intimated to me that they would rather downselect and increase funding as the IOC date is the priority.

And they'd be right. Why part fund three when they could look to accelerate two.

In the FY 2015 Budget, the Administration indicated that it was looking into extending CCiCap into FY 2015. So obviously, there is a willingness to delay downselection into FY 2015. See this link:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34177.msg1170708#msg1170708

See also this link where the commercial crew office says that it is trying to coordinate CCtCap and CRS2:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34093.msg1189882#msg1189882

Downselecting this summer could mean less competition for CRS2 in 2015 which is not in NASA's best interest in my opinion. I am guessing that the downselection issue is still being debated between Congress and the Administration.
« Last Edit: 06/03/2014 07:27 pm by yg1968 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography