Author Topic: ISS live! website retirement  (Read 18796 times)

Offline Ian

• Germany
    • My Twitter Account
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 25
ISS live! website retirement
« on: 03/10/2014 11:18 pm »
Hi,

http://spacestationlive.nasa.gov/

"ISS Live! will be retired in two weeks.
Submit concerns to NASA official Jennifer B. Price for more information."

Mail adress: [email protected]

I am just shocked an disappointed.
PLEASE! Send them mails to not retire that webpage! PLEASE!

Thank you,
Ian

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Re: ISS live! website retirement
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2014 11:31 pm »
They never fully developed this, let alone publicized. I'm not surprised. That's too bad. 

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/2014 12:52 am »
What? Not ANOTHER ISS program PAO cutback??? >:(

First the daily on-orbit status reports, then the HSF gallery, and now ISSLive. They spent ages developing this, and now they're going to cut it? Why? Surely it can't cost that much to send some ISS downlink data to a public server, considering how much server capacity NASA has anyway? This had better not be related to some export control nonsense.

I can only assume that the PAO budget must be really really bad, because I cannot see why anyone in their right mind would want to make these kinds of cuts to the public relations arm of what is NASA's only operational HSF platform for the foreseeable future.

It seems NASA's public outreach is going the way of SpaceX's - pretty soon we'll all have to suffice with a weekly one-paragraph on-orbit summary and a bi-monthly low-res Tweeted photo.

Not happy, will E-mail the address provided below and let them know how useful ISSLive has been to me in writing articles about the various ISS failures last year.

Have put a Tweet out about this too.
« Last Edit: 03/11/2014 01:05 am by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2014 01:03 am »
They would rather spend money on apps and video games for space and that's the sad fact.  >:(
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #4 on: 03/11/2014 01:17 am »
What? Not ANOTHER ISS program PAO cutback??? >:(

First the daily on-orbit status reports

Hmm... I'm still getting the daily on-orbit status reports from NASA. What ones are you seeing that's been cut?

They would rather spend money on apps and video games for space and that's the sad fact.  >:(

My guess is they are applying money to things that kick up interest in space. As much as I enjoy ISSLive, that's not what a 14 year old is looking for.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #5 on: 03/11/2014 11:06 am »
Depends on the 14 year old....

Its sad, but without the right PR....

Hell I'd provide an ESA server to run all this if NASA provides me the data stream.....

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #6 on: 03/11/2014 11:49 am »
More dumbing down.

Some of the recent official tweets from NASA depts has been truly shocking. I'm half expecting "OMG! @LadyGaga just mentioned she lacks space in her closet. We work in Space, Gaga! We increase awesomeness like your songs!"

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #7 on: 03/11/2014 12:55 pm »
Surprising.. It can't cost anything to maintain that application surely? The data is already on the ground, the website is built and NASA have web servers. Don't tell me bytes of text are using tremendous bandwidth....
- Aaron

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #8 on: 03/11/2014 01:50 pm »
Has anyone received a reply with the reasoning?

Double-checked and I'm still getting these - you had me worried :)

http://blogs.nasa.gov/stationreport/2014/03/10/iss-daily-summary-report-031014/
« Last Edit: 03/11/2014 01:54 pm by rdale »

Offline dsmillman

• Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #9 on: 03/11/2014 01:57 pm »
I suggest that anyone who is disturbed by this contact their representatives in the House and Senate.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #10 on: 03/11/2014 02:13 pm »
Has anyone received a reply with the reasoning?

Double-checked and I'm still getting these - you had me worried :)

http://blogs.nasa.gov/stationreport/2014/03/10/iss-daily-summary-report-031014/

Hi Rob,

What I meant by "First the daily on-orbit status reports" was that since moving to the new blog-based platform (following the death of Dr. Jesco von Puttkamer, the previous author of the reports), the new reports are now routinely days out of sync.

With the old reports, we used to get them like clockwork every day, including weekends and national holidays. However, when I made that post (early AM on March 11), the most recent report was from March 7. I know that reports are produced every day as we get them on L2, however it seems that the PAO is just slow in getting them posted publicly.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Ian

• Germany
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #11 on: 03/11/2014 02:48 pm »
I suggest that anyone who is disturbed by this contact their representatives in the House and Senate.

Could you please do that? Cause I am not a US citizen, but a Citizen of an ESA member state.
I will discuss that issue on Monday at a Press conference about the Alexander Gerst mission at the European Astronaut Centre in Cologne with some ESA PAO folks. Maybe they can do something.

I wrote that person Mrs. Price the Nasa official quite a long mail adressing my concerns.

@rdale I am now 22 years old I started my interest in the ISS operations and Shuttle ops right when I was 14 years old! Back then of cause I tried to read the Execute Packages and listening to Nasa TV with my poor english knowledge I had back then. Back then I decided to go into that path of becoming an aeropace engineer. I am now working at a DLR school lab at the RWTH Aachen University and I am teaching students from age 12 to 17 stuff about Human spaceflight, ISS etc.

Yes in fact there are students in that age that are still interested in real spaceflight and the technology behind it. I always try to spread my excitement about that topic and I need live data to do that!

All that btw. I also wrote to Mrs. Price.

And Pete you are right if it were just the ISS live! website that would be ok but that one isn't the only PAO stuff they stopped to support. They shut down the ISS galery, they shortened the "ISS live" daily webcast about ISS from 1h to 30min, they stopped uploading the "form 24" timeline on a daily basis. http://www.nasa.gov/content/international-space-station-timelines-march-2014/

Have a look! Last uploaded timeline is from the 3rd of March a year ago they always uploaded it on the evening for the next that so you were able to use the currrent timeline. It is enough!

Please help me to stop that!

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #12 on: 03/11/2014 10:19 pm »
Speaking of education....http://igg.me/at/STANASA945    more shuttle hardware.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #13 on: 03/14/2014 02:52 am »
Just sent my impassioned email to Ms. Price.

Has anyone heard anything back, or any specific information on WHY?
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #14 on: 03/14/2014 11:57 am »

How would everyone feel about the programs being given to a Yahoo or Google "commercial" type  company to operate?

« Last Edit: 04/12/2014 07:59 pm by Prober »

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #15 on: 03/14/2014 11:58 am »
How would feel about the programs being given to a Yahoo or Google "commercial" type  company to operate?

Probably pretty good given the alternative. What exactly did she say in the reply?
« Last Edit: 03/14/2014 11:59 am by rdale »

Offline Ian

• Germany
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #16 on: 03/14/2014 04:13 pm »

I've got no feedback so far. Did anybody else get any feedback so far?

Offline SMS

• Regular
    • Astronauts & their spaceflights
  • Liked: 2164
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #17 on: 03/14/2014 09:01 pm »
Price, Jennifer B  Email  [email protected]  281.244.5872
---
SMS ;-).

Offline Ian

• Germany
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #18 on: 03/15/2014 12:08 am »
Price, Jennifer B  Email  [email protected]  281.244.5872

Thank you for the mail adress! I forwarded my mail to that adress and got a reply almost directly. Here is what she wrote:

Ian,
Thank you soooo much for this wonderful reply. We do not have metrics to prove that we have a viable user group out there. While our original owners can no longer support us we have a prospective supporter who asked us to put the message to the impending shutdown to see who cares.

I will add your reply to the wonderful feedback we are receiving. I hope that such strong responses as yours will impress the prospective taker to pick up the project.

I will let you know the outcome.
Cheers
Jennifer

I strongly recommend to forward your mail to that adress! I will mail her and say her that a lot of people mailed to the official adress.

Thanks,
Ian

Offline dsobin

• New Jersey, USA
  • Likes Given: 793
« Reply #19 on: 03/15/2014 04:14 pm »
I also sent a message to her direct email, and this is what I got back:

Subject: Re: ISS Live Web Site

David,
Thank you so very much for this absolute powerful response. Our primary owner can no longer support but we have a prospective taker. Because we don't have metrics to prove we have a solid user base, he needs to know that keeping the site up is worth his investment as compared with his other investment choices.

Since Tuesday our user community has finally responded with powerful feedback. However your feedback is unique as you have clarified that we don't just have teachers and kids following.

This coming week is critical and your response just may be the comment that secures our future.

I will let you know the results.

Cheers
J

Sent from my iPhone

Here was my message to her:

On Mar 14, 2014, at 11:47 PM, "David Sobin" <[email protected]> wrote:

Jennifer,

Say it isn’t so!

I love ISS live! I was glued to it during the failure and repair of the cooling pump. I could watch the whole thing unfold like I was in Mission Control.

I’m not a school kid, if that’s your target audience. I’m the CEO of a wireless Internet company. On the other hand, perhaps I’m part of your target demographic since I pay a boatload of taxes and I’m a strong NASA supporter. I’m a big STEM proponent, and I’m on the Board of Directors of the NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering Alumni Association. We actively try to get kids to think STEM for their career. I direct interested kids to ISS live to help them get more involved in space.

ISS live is a great site. How much can it cost to keep it going? It’s already up and running and the data requirements seem modest.

Anyway, I hope NASA will reconsider and keep ISS Live around.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.

David

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography