Author Topic: Antares 200 Hot Fire  (Read 20610 times)

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
Antares 200 Hot Fire
« on: 03/18/2016 11:31 pm »
The stage test article (0000.6) and engines (2A & 3A) are currently at WFF. The hotfire is currently scheduled for 4/25

Offline SkipMorrow

Re: Antares 200 Hot Fire
« Reply #1 on: 04/12/2016 12:18 am »
Two weeks to go until the 25th. Does it still look like a good date for the test?

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
« Reply #2 on: 04/12/2016 12:45 am »
One source seems to say May now. No specific date listed though.

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #3 on: 04/12/2016 01:35 am »
Funny timing. My source just contacted me shortly after posting that and stated May as well.

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #4 on: 04/14/2016 06:21 pm »
What do we know about the test? Are they testing the pad or the Antares? Or both? I assume they are firing the first stage? Can you even static fire a second stage and/or solid fuel stage? What will they be looking for in the test?

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #5 on: 04/14/2016 07:59 pm »
What do we know about the test?
Sounds like you should read the recent stories we've done:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/02/orbital-atk-summer-debut-new-antares-230/
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/01/orbital-atk-antares-second-life/

Re: timing, there will be lots of warning.  There is more than one visible milestone that we'll hear/read about prior to the hot-fire.  We should at the very least hear about roll out to the pad from the HIF and likely also the wet dress rehearsal prior to the hot fire.

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: 05/31/2016 09:40 pm »
I've gotten word, from people that are actually back home (home being about 5 miles from WFF) that the static fire seemed to have gone successfully.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8792
  • Likes Given: 7818
« Reply #7 on: 05/31/2016 11:16 pm »
Antares Hot Fire - May 31, 201

Orbital ATK

Published on May 31, 2016
The Earth shook (and so did the cameras)! Orbital ATK successfully conducted a hot fire test of the first stage its Antares medium-class rocket at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on May 31, 2016. (NASA video).

« Last Edit: 05/31/2016 11:16 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
« Reply #8 on: 06/01/2016 12:08 am »
I noticed the rainbird on top of the pad didn't activate. I'd assume it was deliberately deactivated since the rocket wasn't leaving the pad?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #9 on: 06/01/2016 01:14 am »
Nice!  :) - But that camera (on the water tower?) needs to be attached better - did they cut off that angle because it fell off?
« Last Edit: 06/01/2016 01:14 am by Lars-J »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8792
  • Likes Given: 7818
« Reply #10 on: 06/01/2016 02:24 am »
Pad Camera View of Antares Hot Fire Test

Orbital ATK

Published on May 31, 2016
On May 31, 2016 Orbital ATK successfully conducted a hot fire test of the first stage of its Antares medium class rocket at the MARS Pad 0A at NASA Wallops Flight Facility. (NASA video)

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18199
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #11 on: 06/01/2016 06:36 am »
Nice!  :) - But that camera (on the water tower?) needs to be attached better - did they cut off that angle because it fell off?
That shaky little camera was not on the water tower. You can actually see the water tower in that frame on the left-hand side.

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #12 on: 06/01/2016 10:43 am »
I noticed the rainbird on top of the pad didn't activate. I'd assume it was deliberately deactivated since the rocket wasn't leaving the pad?
Rainbird? What is this rainbird that you speak of?

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #13 on: 06/01/2016 12:35 pm »
It is a sound suppression system that works by throwing a wall of water around the engine. It does looks like the watering system of a car wash.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #14 on: 06/01/2016 12:45 pm »
Energomash NPO.  Fire tests of two engines RD-181 is successful

01.06.2016 12:39

On the night of June 1, 2016 Moscow time fire was first performed bench testing of the first Antares rocket stage ( "Antares") Orbital ATK corporation with two engines RD-181.  The tests, which lasted 30 seconds, held at the launch site Baikonur Mid-Atlantic Regional (MARS) (Virginia, USA).  Preliminary analysis of the data shows that the tests were successful.  All engine systems worked nominally.  The test program has been fully implemented.

The task of fire tests was to verify the functioning of the integrated first-stage rocket "Antares", including the RD-181 engines, an upgraded design of the first stage, avionics, thrust vector control system, as well as testing in the operating system fueling mode.

During the tests were performed: complete fueling cycle, set the starting readiness, supply commands to the ignition and the engine stop, as well as work on several levels of traction, including full engine power.  In addition, the test verifies the work of the launch pad and water curtains to protect the system from damage and complex noise suppression.

Now Orbital ATK will produce blowing and cleaning of engines from fuel residues and return the first stage of the rocket in the horizontal integration of the body to bring in full readiness before execution scheduled for this year OA-7 mission.

Before shipment to Orbital ATK each of the new main engines RD-181 has already passed the acceptance "fire tests" in NPO "Energomash".  In the spring of 2015 successfully completed a series of certification tests, in which one engine firing tests was 7, having worked in 1650 seconds and running the profile of the thrust during the flight RN "Antares", after which it was dismantled for inspection.

General Director of JSC "NPO Energomash named after academician VP Glushko" Igor Arbuzov, said that the timing of the creation of RD-181 rocket "Antares" from design to production of the engine made less than one year.  "Accumulating many years of experience in creating LRE, we have offered our partners a competitive product that combines the quality, reliability, technical performance and price.  I hope that the fate of the RD-181 will not be less successful than its predecessors ", - he added

Technical information:

RD-181 engine of JSC "NPO Energomash named after academician VP Glushko" designed and certified for use in a wide range of operating modes.  It is a single-chamber liquid rocket engine cycle closed with afterburning of oxidizing generator gas.  Fuel - kerosene oxidizer - liquid oxygen.

http://www.roscosmos.ru/22279/
Jacques :-)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #15 on: 06/01/2016 01:13 pm »
Looks like 26 or 27 second firing.  Throttled down to 75% then to 55%.

- Ed Kyle

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
« Reply #16 on: 06/01/2016 08:48 pm »
That shaky little camera was not on the water tower. You can actually see the water tower in that frame on the left-hand side.
Actually I think that camera is mounted on the service tower for Pad 0B.

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #17 on: 06/01/2016 11:34 pm »
It is a sound suppression system that works by throwing a wall of water around the engine. It does looks like the watering system of a car wash.

I always thought the sound suppression water dumped more in the flame trench. Not on top of the pad. Interesting. I never heard it called rainbird :) I'm guessing that was some king of joke name? Like referring to the Atlantic as "the pond"?

Thanks!
Skip

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #18 on: 06/01/2016 11:57 pm »

I always thought the sound suppression water dumped more in the flame trench. Not on top of the pad. Interesting. I never heard it called rainbird :) I'm guessing that was some king of joke name? Like referring to the Atlantic as "the pond"?

Thanks!
Skip
I'm not sure of the origin of the term but NASA/KSC used it for the nozzles on the STS MLPs which Pad 0A uses (the nozzle design, not the MLPs themselves).
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #19 on: 06/02/2016 01:44 am »
The water sound suppression system that dumps the water at the exit of the flame duct is called the "car wash", at least colloquially. If you look at Falcon 9 launches, you'll see they rain water straight to the nozzle output. It starts a second or so before ignition (which is T-3, I believe).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography