Author Topic: Delta Mariner strikes bridge  (Read 34726 times)

Offline notherspacexfan

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 5
« Last Edit: 01/27/2012 12:10 pm by notherspacexfan »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Delta Mariner strikes bridge
« Reply #1 on: 01/27/2012 12:07 pm »
The Delta Mariner carries portions of the Delta rockets.

The Post has a very annoying subscription requirement. I don't understand it, because I can access it easily from my computer, but your link requires me to sign in, when I'm already signed in.

Anyway, here's a portion of the story.

Officials: 2 spans of SW Ky. bridge collapse after struck by cargo ship, no injuries reported

By Associated Press, Updated: Friday, January 27, 4:58 AM

BENTON, Ky. — Two spans of a southwest Kentucky bridge collapsed after being struck by a cargo ship that carried aviation parts. No injuries were immediately reported, state transportation officials said.

The Delta Mariner struck the main span of the Eggner Ferry Bridge on Thursday evening at U.S. Highway 68 and Kentucky Highway 80, said Keith Todd, spokesman for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. State inspectors are on their way to determine how much of the bridge, which opened to traffic in 1932, was damaged.

“At this point, we don’t believe there was any loss of life,” Todd said.

He said there also were no injuries on board the boat. He was unable to say where the ship was traveling when it struck the bridge.

Officials said the bridge was closed to traffic, causing vehicles needing to cross the Kentucky Lake reservoir and the Tennessee River to be detoured for dozens of miles. The Coast Guard also blocked access to boat traffic at the bridge site.

Robert Parker, 51, of Cadiz, Ky., said he and his wife were traveling northbound on the highway after leaving his stepson’s house in Murray, Ky. They were driving in the rain along the darkened bridge around 8 p.m. when they suddenly noticed a missing 20-foot piece of the bridge, which at that section stands at least 20 feet above the water.

“All of a sudden I see the road’s gone and I hit the brakes,” he said. “It got close.”

Offline notherspacexfan

« Reply #2 on: 01/27/2012 12:21 pm »
http://marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=338731000

She was in Decatur 2 days ago, so this was a sailing from the factory. Does anyone know if there was an Atlas or Delta on board?

Offline notherspacexfan

« Reply #3 on: 01/27/2012 02:31 pm »
http://wkdzradio.com/Coast-Guard-Update-On-Eggner-s-Ferry-Bridge-Collap/12115042

The Delta Mariner crossed under the bridge through a recreational channel. This is a lower span than the main shipping channel.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 01/27/2012 03:05 pm »
Statement:

The Delta Mariner, owned and operated by Foss Marine, made contact with the Eggner Ferry Bridge at U.S. Highway 68 and Kentucky Highway 80 over the Tennessee River Thursday evening, Jan. 26 at 8:15 p.m. Central Time resulting in a portion of the bridge collapsing . The 312-foot vessel was carrying vehicle components for an upcoming United Launch Alliance launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. There are no injuries on the Mariner or the bridge. Initial inspections have shown that the flight hardware being transported was not damaged.  The Coast Guard is conducting an investigation.

The Delta Mariner was commissioned in 2002 to transport flight hardware from the United Launch Alliance factory in Decatur, Ala., to launch sites at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., and Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.

Jessica Rye
ULA Communications
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #5 on: 01/27/2012 03:18 pm »
Ouch.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #6 on: 01/27/2012 04:01 pm »
So will this count as a launch* failure ;)

*as in water service (for the humor impaired)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #7 on: 01/27/2012 06:23 pm »
Half price on a sligtly dentend Delta IV rocket.
Can see this in an auction (joke)
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #8 on: 01/27/2012 06:26 pm »
Half price on a sligtly dentend Delta IV rocket.
Can see this in an auction (joke)

Quite the joke, since they said there was no sign of damage.

Offline Halidon

• whereabouts unknown
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 533
« Reply #9 on: 01/27/2012 06:28 pm »
I'd me more worried about damage to the bridge. Odds are, it was in deteriorating condition before the collision.

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #10 on: 01/27/2012 06:30 pm »
There's some pictures in this article:

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Inspections-on-Ky-bridge-destroyed-by-cargo-ship-2752444.php

The damage to the Delta Mariner looks limited, so hopefully whatever cargo might have been onboard can be deemed fit for use after inspection.

It looks like the current water level is pretty high, the bridge is a relatively tight fit to begin with, and she went through the wrong channel (lower height on that span).

Interestingly, work had already begun on a replacement for this old bridge. I wonder if they'll simply leave it out of commission while the new bridge is built, or construct a temporary span.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #11 on: 01/27/2012 06:39 pm »
Wow, the structure of the bridge span is wrapped around the front of the ship.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #12 on: 01/27/2012 06:40 pm »
I'd me more worried about damage to the bridge. Odds are, it was in deteriorating condition before the collision.

The article stated that it was, and was in the process because of it's condition of being replaced. Hopefully there are no cars in the water. One of the witnesses described braking just five feet from the edge. There has not been enough time to send a diver in the water and verify that there are no cars on the bottom.

If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline butters

• Liked: 1693
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #13 on: 01/27/2012 06:52 pm »
This would be for NROL-25 I presume?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #14 on: 01/27/2012 06:54 pm »
Wow, the structure of the bridge span is wrapped around the front of the ship.

ULA gets to buy Kentucky a new bridge?

Mariner still needs to be extracted from this tangled mess, it appears.  Hopefully that can happen without the ship sinking...

I'm guessing this is going to impact launch schedules.  There will be a delay in not only this shipment, but in subsequent deliveries if the ship has to be repaired.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 01/27/2012 06:59 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #15 on: 01/27/2012 06:58 pm »
Judging from pictures in the article: if a bridge was that corroded on this side of the big pond, it would have been closed to regular traffic ages ago. Those steel-parts looks substantially corroded.

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: 01/27/2012 06:59 pm »
No it was carrying the Atlas and Centaur for AEHF-2.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #17 on: 01/27/2012 07:07 pm »
Updated ULA statement:

The Delta Mariner, owned and operated by Foss Marine, made contact with the Eggner Ferry Bridge at U.S. Highway 68 and Kentucky Highway 80 over the Tennessee River Thursday evening, Jan. 26 at 8:15 p.m. Central Time resulting in a portion of the bridge collapsing.

The 312-foot vessel was carrying an Atlas booster and Centaur upper stage for the Air Force's Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF-2) mission scheduled to launch in April and an interstage adapter for NASA's Radiation Belt Storm Probes (RBSP) mission scheduled to launch in August. There is no schedule impact to either launch date expected at this point.

The Mariner cargo area of the ship and the flight hardware did not experience any damage. The hardware is well instrumented and all data from these instruments is being reviewed to confirm that there were no issues.

The Coast Guard is conducting an investigation.

The Delta Mariner was commissioned in 2002 to transport flight hardware from the United Launch Alliance factory in Decatur, Ala., to launch sites at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., and Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: 01/27/2012 08:17 pm »
snipped this off one of the news feeds..
« Last Edit: 01/27/2012 08:28 pm by stockman »
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #19 on: 01/27/2012 08:24 pm »
Oops. That's properly smacked up a bridge!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/01/no-impact-ula-missions-delta-mariner-accident/

(Article was delayed due to CMS upgrading).
« Last Edit: 01/28/2012 09:17 pm by Chris Bergin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography