Author Topic: Meet Newest Astronaut Class  (Read 9667 times)

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 1868
  • Likes Given: 909
Meet Newest Astronaut Class
« on: 06/09/2017 02:11 am »
Their qualifications are simply breathtaking. It just goes to show, so many of the best and brightest still want to go fly in space!

http://www.newsweek.com/nasa-hired-its-first-new-class-astronauts-years-help-get-mars-622695

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
Re: Meet Newest Astronaut Class
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2017 01:23 pm »
Their qualifications are simply breathtaking. It just goes to show, so many of the best and brightest still want to go fly in space!

http://www.newsweek.com/nasa-hired-its-first-new-class-astronauts-years-help-get-mars-622695

What do you mean? Thats just normal education after a university: Bachalor / Master plus some side project. Not to play down their achievements in any way, sure they are smart people, but whats written is not breathtaking. If you work in research or academia, almost everyone has that level of qualifications.

A good education is basic requirement for being an astronaut to be sure, but that doesnt distinguish them from millions others. For instance, if education would be the deciding factor if you can become an astronaut or not, all my colleges, me included, would qualify.

What these men and women make to stand out are additional qualifications that are not listed in the article. I dont know the qualification process well enough, but for sure you have to be sporty, well behaved, quick learning and adaptive to new situations, don't loose focus on boring tasks etc.
Also your emotional personality must be good as well, like not getting angry at any person for any reason. Work well with any person, be a team player essentially. Most of the stuff is independent of educational level. If taking these traits as pre-requirements as well as education, all my colleges, me included, would fail.

Offline Joris

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/2017 01:58 pm »
Robb Kulin, 33, from Anchorage, Alaska, is a launch chief engineer at SpaceX. He has a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering from the University of Denver and a master’s in materials science and PhD in engineering from the University of California, San Diego.

This is quite some news.

Will he just be a flight engineer on dragon flights? You'd expect some backups if his role was critical, but he's the only SpaceX employee in this list. But the fact that he's a SpaceX employee obviously is not random.

Is this just some (gentlemens) agreement between NASA and SpaceX?
JIMO would have been the first proper spaceship.

Online Machdiamond

• Quebec
    • Luc Van Bavel Design
  • Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #3 on: 06/09/2017 02:15 pm »
the fact that he's a SpaceX employee obviously is not random.

I am sure it is a coincidence (other than the fact that he is a space nut), otherwise it would be unethical.

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #4 on: 06/09/2017 02:18 pm »
Advanced degrees are an easy filter for people with "stick-to-it" ness.  Doing a PhD in mechanical engineering does not make you necessarily a better mechanical engineer in the same way as working in the field for 5 years does.  But all those psychological tests that the Russians developed are also necessary after you have filtered out the goof-offs.

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 1868
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2017 12:55 am »
What do you mean? Thats just normal education after a university: Bachalor / Master plus some side project. Not to play down their achievements in any way, sure they are smart people, but whats written is not breathtaking. If you work in research or academia, almost everyone has that level of qualifications.

A good education is basic requirement for being an astronaut to be sure, but that doesnt distinguish them from millions others. For instance, if education would be the deciding factor if you can become an astronaut or not, all my colleges, me included, would qualify.

What these men and women make to stand out are additional qualifications that are not listed in the article. I dont know the qualification process well enough, but for sure you have to be sporty, well behaved, quick learning and adaptive to new situations, don't loose focus on boring tasks etc.
Also your emotional personality must be good as well, like not getting angry at any person for any reason. Work well with any person, be a team player essentially. Most of the stuff is independent of educational level. If taking these traits as pre-requirements as well as education, all my colleges, me included, would fail.

Oh good grief! Try to say something nice about people and someone else has to come along and spout negativity.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2017 12:56 am by TomH »

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #6 on: 06/10/2017 09:30 am »
Oh good grief! Try to say something nice about people and someone else has to come along and spout negativity.

How do you read negativity into my post? I pretty much said the same thing as you: these are great people. Just not for the reasons that you and the article lists.

Offline TaurusLittrow

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #7 on: 06/10/2017 09:40 am »
This class appears to be being groomed for long-term deep space missions based on their ages (some in their late 20s or early 30s) and skill sets. Notably, two of them have experience on Antarctic expditions and another member of the class was stationed aboard a nuclear submarine – both Earth analogs of long-term deep space flight. Two members of the class are also MDs, with clinical experience. This announcement of the new astronaut class has to be seen in the context of NASA’s “Evolvable Mars Campaign,” which outlines SLS missions and timelines as well as the space agency’s “deep space gateway and transport plan.” Based on these timelines, several members of this class will probably orbit the moon and it is conceivable that some could be eligible for missions to the Mars system in the early to mid-2030s. Bottom line: this is the first astronaut class in almost 40 years recruited with the intent to send them beyond LEO.

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
  • Liked: 310
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #8 on: 06/10/2017 01:45 pm »

TomH is right, their qualifications are nothing out of the ordinary. I have 3 PHDs in physics in my software team, plus 5 with masters and I don't call our qualifications breathtaking.
Titles are only a small hint on how good they are.

Offline RIB

• USA
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #9 on: 07/18/2017 08:17 pm »
And not a Deke Slayton among them.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #10 on: 07/22/2017 11:49 am »
And not a Deke Slayton among them.
If it weren't for WW2 which forced the USAAF to alter it flight entry requirements, the Army Air Force mechanic Chuck Yeager would have never gotten his wings, let alone becoming involved with the NACA X-1 project as a test pilot to break the sound barrier.

Educational requirements are one thing, almost anyone can prepare themselves with education, but passing the brutal Astronaut Medical is another. Yes, you can train your body, but the slightest off-nominal anatomical or physiological deviation will deselect you.
Anyone who has attained the rank of Astronaut or Astronaut Candidate has attained something or great import.
Congrats to the newest class and best of luck with your training.
Paul

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81660
  • Likes Given: 36933
« Reply #11 on: 08/27/2018 04:23 pm »
Hope he’s ok:

2017 NASA astronaut candidate resigning this month

Alex Stuckey
Aug. 27, 2018 Updated: Aug. 27, 2018 10:55 a.m.

Robb Kulin, a 2017 astronaut candidate for NASA, is resigning Friday for "personal reasons," becoming the first astronaut candidate to do so in about 50 years, NASA officials confirmed Monday.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/nation-world/space/article/2017-NASA-astronaut-candidate-resigning-this-month-13185081.php

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #12 on: 08/27/2018 05:16 pm »
That's too bad, that can't be an easy decision about halfway through astronaut training esp. after applying 3 times.  It'd be so interesting to know exactly why he resigned, what mental process was at work. Like if it was something he realized during his NASA training that wasn't a good fit for him.  Of course if it was a medical or family issue his privacy, if desired, of course should be respected.
Best wishes to you Dr. Kulin and best of luck in your future endeavours.
Paul

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: 08/27/2018 11:21 pm »
That's too bad, that can't be an easy decision about halfway through astronaut training esp. after applying 3 times.  It'd be so interesting to know exactly why he resigned, what mental process was at work. Like if it was something he realized during his NASA training that wasn't a good fit for him.  Of course if it was a medical or family issue his privacy, if desired, of course should be respected.
Best wishes to you Dr. Kulin and best of luck in your future endeavours.

"It'd be so interesting to know exactly why..."

Sometimes it's not. I once asked somebody about why a person had suddenly resigned their job and the answer was heartbreaking and depressing. Sometimes it's just best not to know and let people live their lives in peace.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8787
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #14 on: 10/30/2018 03:02 am »
Checking In with the 2017 Astronaut Candidate Class, Part 1

NASA Johnson
Published on May 3, 2018

Have you wondered what NASA’s new class of astronaut candidates has been up to since they arrived for training in August? The answer is, a lot! Get an inside look here, and then visit https://go.usa.gov/xQKMJ to find out more about the candidates and how you can follow them on social media.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8787
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #15 on: 10/30/2018 03:03 am »
Checking In With The 2017 Astronaut Candidate Class, Part 2

NASA Johnson
Published on Oct 29, 2018

The 2017 NASA Astronaut Class has passed the one-year mark in their extensive training. Check out the video to see how much they’ve accomplished since the last time we saw them.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #16 on: 12/18/2019 03:31 pm »
And now we're passed the 2 year mark, and still no new astronauts.  Hmm.
Paul

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: 12/18/2019 09:53 pm »

No doubt you have seen today's announcement, but for those who haven't -- JSC just announced that the 2017 class will have its graduation ceremony on January 10. So.... 13 new astronauts for the new year.

Why did it take so long? There was a change in flight operations leadership in the spring, a re-org of the astronaut office that followed, and the ASCANS had to deal with a greater number of spacecraft systems than past groups in order to qualify.

MC

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #19 on: 12/19/2019 01:31 am »

No doubt you have seen today's announcement, but for those who haven't -- JSC just announced that the 2017 class will have its graduation ceremony on January 10. So.... 13 new astronauts for the new year.

Why did it take so long? There was a change in flight operations leadership in the spring, a re-org of the astronaut office that followed, and the ASCANS had to deal with a greater number of spacecraft systems than past groups in order to qualify.

MC
Actually I didnt, but I was thinking that they might announce something before holidays.  I had to chuckle when I read the announcement just minutes after I posted here today.   Congrats to the 11 NASA and 2 CSA ASCANs soon to be ASTRONAUTS.  This will bring the Canadian astronaut core up to 4 astronauts, with David St Jacques being the only Canuck to fly.  The only other international astronaut to not fly from the 2009 class is Canadian Jeremy Hansen and the only NASA astronaut from the 2009 class to not fly is Jeanette Epps.
Paul

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography