Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread (3)  (Read 258566 times)

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Re: Space Ship Two - General Thread (3)
« Reply #400 on: 10/27/2017 02:50 am »
Cancel SS2. Hybrids are a dead end. Give everyone refunds AND priority as first passengers on SS3.

IMHO.

Undoubtably choosing a smoky, polluting, lethal, hybrid was the wrong horse for SS2 - but, if NASA's latest SST research is anything to go by, SS3 (as currently advertised) isn't going to happen without spending billions of dollars and decades of time.  Given their target audience, many of their current ticket-holders will be dead by then.  Methinks they're locked into their current trajectory and there ain't a lot they can do about it.

IMHO.
« Last Edit: 10/27/2017 06:29 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25242
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #401 on: 10/27/2017 02:56 am »
SS3 can work just as BFR, though probably they're planning on skipping quite a bit.

This is the real justification for developing those liquid rocket engines.

As far as taking decades of time, we'll see.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #402 on: 10/27/2017 03:00 am »
As far as taking decades of time, we'll see.

Weeell... they've been at this for more than a decade already.  SS1 was hung from the ceiling in 2004.

Yes indeed, we shall see.  Now, who's got the popcorn?  8)

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14047
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #403 on: 10/27/2017 04:24 am »
http://www.parabolicarc.com/2017/10/26/virgin-galactics-spaceshipthree/

The image in the above article is supposedly SpaceShipThree, a point to point spaceplane.

I doubt that is anything more than an artist’s impression to look good and suggest there’s something to the supersonic p2p travel. I find it hard to believe, with all the issues they’ve had, that VG has put any real money into this yet. However, presumably the $1B now gives them the resources to look at this more seriously. It’ll be interesting to see what happens, but I’m not holding my breath!

And how many billions does someone have to invest before you do stop holding your breath on the matter?

Are you kidding?  The willingness of VCs or foreign royalty families to invest in something is almost anti-correlated to the worthiness of a technology.  It's mostly related to how well the CEO can sell the snake oil dejour.  Examples are everywhere, and they reach the $1B bracket.

Further, there is no $1B investment here. There's a loose MOU that mentions the amount $1B.  You have no idea what they have.

Remember this is VG.  "The unveiling company".  They have, and unveiled, multiple hangers, a spaceport, a number of carrier airplanes, an official Vodka, an official hotel chain, an official dog food brand (no the last one is a joke)

They issue PRs when a run-of-the-mill 747 takes off towards Mojave, arrives at Mojave, takes a flight around Mojave...

You know the one thing they don't have?   

That's right - a SpaceShip.  Or rather a suborbital glider, since that vehicle is not a spaceship, even if you insist on calling a 5 minute suborbital "going into space".

So SS3 - it's not a thing they can pursue, since it doesn't exist.  For real manned P2P travel, you need to build what is essentially a heavy orbital booster. 

How exactly would VG do that exactly?
« Last Edit: 10/27/2017 02:32 pm by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Space Ship Two - General Thread (3)
« Reply #404 on: 10/27/2017 05:48 pm »

The image in the above article is supposedly SpaceShipThree, a point to point spaceplane.

I doubt that is anything more than an artist’s impression to look good and suggest there’s something to the supersonic p2p travel. I find it hard to believe, with all the issues they’ve had, that VG has put any real money into this yet. However, presumably the $1B now gives them the resources to look at this more seriously. It’ll be interesting to see what happens, but I’m not holding my breath!

And how many billions does someone have to invest before you do stop holding your breath on the matter?

Are you kidding?  The willingness of VCs or foreign royalty families to invest in something is almost anti-correlated to the worthiness of a technology.  It's mostly related to how well the CEO can sell the snake oil dejour.  Examples are everywhere, and they reach the $1B bracket.

Further, there is no $1B investment here. There's a loose MOU that mentions the amount $1B.  You have no idea what they have.

Remember this is VG.  "The unveiling company".  They have, and unveiled, multiple hangers, a spaceport, a number of carrier airplanes, an official Vodka, an official hotel chain, an official dog food brand (no the last one is a joke)

They issue PRs when a run-of-the-mill 747 takes off towards Mojave, arrives at Mojave, takes a flight around Mojave...

That's right - a SpaceShip.  Or rather a suborbital glider, since that vehicle is not a spaceship, even if you insist on calling a 5 minute suborbital "going into space".

So SS3 - it's not a thing they can pursue, since it doesn't exist.  For real manned P2P travel, you need to build what is essentially a heavy orbital booster. 

All unsupported and pretty biased commentary. There’s nothing in this post that says why anyone should take any notice of what amounts to little more than a soapbox rant.
« Last Edit: 10/27/2017 05:50 pm by Star One »

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #405 on: 10/27/2017 06:16 pm »

All unsupported and pretty biased commentary. There’s nothing in this post that says why anyone should take any notice of what amounts to little more than a soapbox rant.
Heh it had more reasoning than the vague notice about the MOU...

Again, manned P2P travel requires a heavy orbital-class launcher.

What has VG done that demonstrates they are remotely capable of that?

Offline Darkseraph

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #406 on: 10/27/2017 07:15 pm »
I hear Virgin has some kind of other business that's gained lots of experience with liquid engines. Maybe they might help Virgin Galactic out with that somehow.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." R.P.Feynman

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
« Reply #407 on: 10/27/2017 07:27 pm »
Based on the number of likes [full disclosure: mine included] of the post you are quoting, at least some people appear to disagree with you.

And that's coming from someone who is relatively positive about SS2 and hopes it finds success.

Offline Andy Bandy

• California
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #408 on: 10/27/2017 08:01 pm »
Compilation of public-sector support for Virgin Galactic, direct investments and indirect (Spaceport America). Total would be up to $1.6 billion if the Saudi deal goes through. If the Saudis fully exercise their option, it would increase to $2 billion

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2017/10/27/fastfacts-publicsector-financial-support-richard-bransons-space-companies/

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #409 on: 10/29/2017 05:34 pm »
"Virgin Deal With Saudi Arabia Includes Possible Space Entertainment Center"

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2017/10/29/virgin-deal-saudi-arabia-includes-space-entertainment-center/

In my below quoted post, had I added that "Why don't they start a space-themed entertainment park", people would have thought I was being too sarcastic.  I would have thought so too.

But, reality trumps imagination, again.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81689
  • Likes Given: 36943
« Reply #410 on: 10/29/2017 05:50 pm »

At about 1:25 in Branson briefly talks to the new aeroplane. Claims Virgin are building it and it will go at Mach 4 or 5.

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 3815
« Reply #411 on: 10/29/2017 06:34 pm »
Cancel SS2. Hybrids are a dead end. Give everyone refunds AND priority as first passengers on SS3.

IMHO.

I suggest they buy everyone a ticket for New Shepard instead.

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #412 on: 10/29/2017 07:05 pm »
This IMO is getting pathetic. We'll see how powered flights will perform. I'm personally optimistic.

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #413 on: 10/30/2017 03:42 am »
Your gas dollars at work!

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5141
« Reply #414 on: 10/30/2017 04:54 am »

At about 1:25 in Branson briefly talks to the new aeroplane. Claims Virgin are building it and it will go at Mach 4 or 5.

3 months until SS2 "goes into space"
4 months until Virgin Orbit launches to orbit
Almost no time at all until they build a Mach 4-5 passenger plane
Probably another decade or two before Branson answers a question believably

I wish I shared Svetoslav's optimism, but I more agree with his first sentiment.
To be honest, I couldn't watch the whole video.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #415 on: 11/10/2017 01:42 pm »
‘We know you’ve waited a long time,’ Virgin Galactic says
By Andrew Oxford | The New Mexican Nov 8, 2017

Virgin Galactic says to be patient, New Mexico. It is coming.

Officials from the company at the center of Spaceport America’s hopes for success say they are getting ready for a “big move,” with plans to base an additional 85 employees in the Las Cruces area over the next year.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/business/we-know-you-ve-waited-a-long-time-virgin-galactic/article_193053d4-8f61-5fad-8e31-ba18b25a14b9.html

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #416 on: 11/30/2017 10:01 pm »
Some tests are going on, apparently...

Via twitter:

Parabolicarc.com‏
@spacecom
 4m4 minutes ago
More
#WhiteKnightTwo flying about today solo. One of the few things that remind me I'm in the 21st century out here. Everything else is American Mid-century Dilapidated style.'

Parabolicarc.com‏
@spacecom
 12m12 minutes ago
More
#virginGalactic #WhiteKnightTwo doing touch and goes at #MASP apparent. Also an Extra chase plane. Must. Mean. Something.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #417 on: 12/07/2017 04:55 pm »
Virgin Galactic to relocate dozens of Mojave employees to Spaceport

Next year could finally bring some things New Mexico has been waiting on for years: Virgin Galactic's commercial space flights, and the economic prosperity that would follow.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/news/2017/12/06/virgin-galactic-to-move-mojave-desert-team-to.html

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #418 on: 12/08/2017 12:06 am »
Virgin Galactic to relocate dozens of Mojave employees to Spaceport

Next year could finally bring some things New Mexico has been waiting on for years: Virgin Galactic's commercial space flights, and the economic prosperity that would follow.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/news/2017/12/06/virgin-galactic-to-move-mojave-desert-team-to.html

Well.. we all live in hope for good things "next year".  ::)

Here's hoping it works out for them.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #419 on: 12/16/2017 01:33 pm »
Interesting note in this article about Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo flights at Spaceport America: they’ll take place on Thursdays, after training there Monday through Wednesday: http://www.dchieftain.com/news/space-tourism-to-launch-in/article_da9df51a-e05d-11e7-8b7d-2f5c4be72d91.html

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/942035939433615365

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography