Author Topic: A tour of Space Shuttle Discovery  (Read 10422 times)

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
A tour of Space Shuttle Discovery
« on: 06/23/2011 12:12 am »
The media were given the opportunity to tour Space Shuttle Discovery as she is prepped for handover to the Smithsonian. It was an incredible opportunity, just needed a couple or ten more hours inside... I would like to thank everyone who made it happen and the very friendly workers who showed us around and answered our questions. Below is a link to some photos from the quick tour. Enjoy!

http://scriptunasimages.smugmug.com/Galleries/Nasa-Space-Shuttle-Program/Space-Shuttle-Discovery/

« Last Edit: 06/23/2011 12:57 am by Walter S »

Offline Kassonian

• SE Minnesota USA
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: A tour of Space Shuttle Discovery
« Reply #1 on: 06/23/2011 12:48 am »
Thanks Walter!

The photo of her without an frcs seemed sad to me. Weird, since I'm sure I've seen photos like that before.

Offline lsullivan411

• NASASpaceflight KSC Photographer
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 06/23/2011 03:22 am »
Great shots Walter!  Love the payload bay shot you have on your page -- unfortunately we ran out of time and the others with us were still in that tunnel so we didn't get to crawl in there for the shot.

There is a bit of sadness with all her engines/OMS/FRCS gone -- but being able to look inside the aft and seeing all the plumbing back there really makes you appreciate what these guys have to go through when there is a problem.  Especially once vertical out on the pad.
« Last Edit: 06/23/2011 03:23 am by lsullivan411 »

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: 06/23/2011 06:23 pm »
Great shots Walter!  Love the payload bay shot you have on your page -- unfortunately we ran out of time and the others with us were still in that tunnel so we didn't get to crawl in there for the shot.

There is a bit of sadness with all her engines/OMS/FRCS gone -- but being able to look inside the aft and seeing all the plumbing back there really makes you appreciate what these guys have to go through when there is a problem.  Especially once vertical out on the pad.

Thanks Larry. One thing I didnt get a look into was the aft access door, was disappointed about that. Hopefully I have another chance down the road with another orbiter. Can't complain though, it was an great afternoon.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography