Author Topic: Asteroid close pass highlights need to investigate NEAs via NASA missions  (Read 8055 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Slightly leftfield, but rather than repeating what's already out there with these Friday events, focused on the future missions:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/02/asteroid-highlights-investigate-neos-nasa-missions/

(I'll set up a NEA section when I get time - hosting in Orion for now).
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 71
Slightly leftfield, but rather than repeating what's already out there with these Friday events, focused on the future missions:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/02/asteroid-highlights-investigate-neos-nasa-missions/

Nice article, as always. 
You could mention that there's a private alternative awaiting funding:
http://b612foundation.org/sentinelmission/

Disclaimer:  If sufficiently funded to production, I'll be working on supporting this derivative of the Kepler spacecraft...

Offline Chris Bergin

Great article Chris.  Exciting day yesterday.  I wonder if you wanted to substitute the first photo with this I found on the net today.

http://i.imgur.com/SnVvLv8.gif

Thanks!

And blimey! Nice, but it's be really hard to resize for 350x250 ish, as I don't know how to resize gifs....but if someone's up for that, I can sub it!

Nice article, as always. 
You could mention that there's a private alternative awaiting funding:
http://b612foundation.org/sentinelmission/

Disclaimer:  If sufficiently funded to production, I'll be working on supporting this derivative of the Kepler spacecraft...

Thanks to you too Jim. Yeah, I was thinking of adding them and DSI into that, but then I'd probably have to enter JAXA's missions and such. So to avoid getting too wordy, I made it more centric to NASA.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2013 03:53 am by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 74
I actually think that the money would be better spent on building an array of deep space ultra-wide-field survey platforms. If you spaced them out around the plane of the ecliptic you could get amazing coverage.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2013 08:33 am by peter-b »
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
I agree that the first priority with regard to NEAs should be deeper surveys to find more of them (this would help crewed missions too).  Then visit NEAs with robotic probes -- they're faster, cheaper and perfectly adequate.

I'm not necessarily opposed to sending a crew to an NEA, the benefits of such a mission have little to do with either defending Earth or science, but rather with developing technology and demonstrating deep-space operations.

Offline Chris Bergin

Chris,

I used an on-line tool to reduce it to 320x92, see if this will work.

Yeah, that doesn't work, per the requirement, but thanks for attempting.

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
Is anyone else amazed that so many Russians happened to have cameras recording on their dashboards?

Offline Stephan

• Veteran
  • Paris
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
Is anyone else amazed that so many Russians happened to have cameras recording on their dashboards?
It's to avoid insurance scams.
Best regards, Stephan

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
I agree that the first priority with regard to NEAs should be deeper surveys to find more of them ...

Totally agree with this part of your comment.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Moe Grills

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 1
  There were/are plans by ESA to send an asteroid impactor mission
on its way to deep space. The project I believe is/was called
Quijote.
You would think recent events would encourage ESA officials to give it high priority.
 That project appears dead in the water. Are ESA officials
changing their minds about striking a NEO asteroid with a hypersonic
projectile?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
I seriously wonder about the possibility of demonstrating gravity tractoring of an asteroid during a HSF mission. Even though the mission is likely to be short (a couple weeks on target?), the large mass of the transfer vehicle should move the asteroid enough to push it out of an imaginary gravitational keyhole (a keyhole may often be less than 1km in size). In order to do this, you'd need to make some modifications to the SEP transfer vehicle's propulsion, but it shouldn't be terrible. It would go a long way in both providing a needed capability and building support for human exploration.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
"drive need" ?

"illusive" plan? As in it's an illusion or did you mean elusive?  :P

C'mon Chris, you have maintain your high standards. If you need a proofreader just let me know.  ;)

The rest of it was top notch. Outlining target NEOs and the planning NASA is doing towards visiting them.

Hopefully we hear more news of that exploration plan soon.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
"drive need" ?

C'mon Chris, you have maintain your high standards. If you need a proofreader just let me know.  ;)

The rest of it was top notch. Outlining target NEOs and the planning NASA is doing towards visiting them.

Indeed, if sequestration is avoided somehow (which has a less than 50% chance, unfortunately), then it'd be a good time to unveil the details of a HSF exploration plan that includes NEO visits (and possible mitigation strategies).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline truth is life

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 8
"drive need" ?

Have not read the article yet, but illusive is a perfectly fine word with a similar (though not identical) meaning to elusive. It's pretty appropriate for describing any HSF plan at the moment, unfortunately...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography