Author Topic: LIVE: Cygnus OA-6 - Arrival, ISS mission and EOM - Updates  (Read 61048 times)

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Another time-lapse of the post-grapple maneuver to pre-install, from the live stream.

Edit: for grins added time-lapse of approach and grapple from prior to that...
« Last Edit: 03/26/2016 06:19 pm by psloss »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7406
  • Likes Given: 72504
Was there a problem or did it just take longer than expected?
Longer than expected due to some alignment issues and the lack of KU to provide views to the ground.
Might this circumstance be an argument for NASA getting more time on their own TDRS network?

Or for more TDRS satellites?

Or for arranging for some "surge" capability with a commercial provider?

I imagine the communications load to and from ISS will only increase in the future.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
Tim Kopra called down that the hatch to Cygnus is open and that it looks great.  He had nice words to say about Rick Husband and his family although once again the words sounded like they were prepped by PAO.  There was no video of the event on the ISS streaming feed so we'll have to wait for NASA to show us the event when they feel like it or more likely when one of the crew post photos via social media...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Was there a problem or did it just take longer than expected?
Longer than expected due to some alignment issues and the lack of KU to provide views to the ground.
Might this circumstance be an argument for NASA getting more time on their own TDRS network?

Or for more TDRS satellites?

Or for arranging for some "surge" capability with a commercial provider?

I imagine the communications load to and from ISS will only increase in the future.

This discussion has been well wrung out.  There are 6 fully operational TDRS satellites, at least, in the network that should provide nearly 100% coverage of the ISS. NASA is not the primary user, DOD is, and NASA definitely does not have priority on the network they reportedly own and operate, DOD does. 

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38729.0
« Last Edit: 03/27/2016 10:22 am by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
As usual, the crew are wearing protective masks and goggles inside Cygnus in case of loose debris floating in the vehicle.  Sounds like they are anxious to take it off but have 36 more minutes of required wear time.

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
1 hour into unpack and the crew already has an item that won't fit in the designated storage location.  This is common during the juggling act of trying to unload items into limited ISS locations already full of items needed for current operations and designated for disposal. A problem this early is unusual and suggests the ground still doesn't have a complete understanding of the situation on the station, despite considerable crew time and systems (Inventory Management System-IMS) dedicated to tracking the on-board status.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
1 hour into unpack and the crew already has an item that won't fit in the designated storage location.  This is common during the juggling act of trying to unload items into limited ISS locations already full of items needed for current operations and designated for disposal. A problem this early is unusual and suggests the ground still doesn't have a complete understanding of the situation on the station, despite considerable crew time and systems (Inventory Management System-IMS) dedicated to tracking the on-board status.

That's that blasted Easter Bunny again...too many eggs in one basket  ;)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
Well, after this Cygnus, they'll have a Progress to unpack next week, and a Dragon to unpack the week after that -- so they had better find some places to stash stuff!  I get the feeling that cargo unloading is pretty much all the ISS crew is going to be doing over the next month or so.

And they don't get to use their new inflatable closet until the very last one.  Could have planned that better, LOL!

Has ISS ever received three cargo shipments in a space of less than a month before?  This will, the gods permit, be three in less than three weeks.  Twelve tons of cargo.  Maybe this should be relabeled Expedition Cargo...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
One sort of weird question on unpack for anyone to chime in on.  The crew asked if they could trash two layers of bubble wrap on an item. They were told they could.  Why not "pop" that bubble wrap like so many kids enjoy doing?  It would seem to accomplish two positive things.  First, release whatever is in the bubbles, presumably normal air, into the cabin, free of charge.  Second it would reduce the volume of trash needing to be stowed. A curious mind want's to know :)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
Hmmm...  You wouldn't ask that kind of question unless there was a possibility that the bubble wrap was scheduled to be used to pad some downmass cargo, somewhere down the line.

Remember, until it gets stuffed in a Progress or a Cygnus or one of those other cargo vessels that serve as trash dumps for entry-incineration, no trash actually goes away.  Just putting the bubble wrap into a trash bag wouldn't make it ultimately unavailable for re-use later, if need arose.  So, in this case, "trashing" may mean "reduce to a non-functional state," i.s., popping.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Has ISS ever received three cargo shipments in a space of less than a month before?
Occasionally, when shipments get backed up, such as in this case with US cargo resupply.  It's not likely to be desired given the disruption to lab work.

Another case was with the slips of Shuttle STS-133, with four in January/February 2011 (HTV, Progress, ATV, Shuttle).

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
One sort of weird question on unpack for anyone to chime in on.  The crew asked if they could trash two layers of bubble wrap on an item. They were told they could.  Why not "pop" that bubble wrap like so many kids enjoy doing?  It would seem to accomplish two positive things.  First, release whatever is in the bubbles, presumably normal air, into the cabin, free of charge.  Second it would reduce the volume of trash needing to be stowed. A curious mind want's to know :)

My uneducated guess: that although the bubble wrap would have likely undergone sterilization, you can never be too safe with the contents of the air in the bubble? It's a stretch, as I would believe that the wrapping meets strict standards for space use.

But Doug's explanation seems more logical: even though it's intended trash, it's never trash until it goes into the spacecraft for disposal. You never know if an ORU or other item needs to be returned in a Dragon & could make use of it.

Offline Graham

• Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 117
Welcome back to the station Commander Husband
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18

My uneducated guess: that although the bubble wrap would have likely undergone sterilization, you can never be too safe with the contents of the air in the bubble? It's a stretch, as I would believe that the wrapping meets strict standards for space use.

But Doug's explanation seems more logical: even though it's intended trash, it's never trash until it goes into the spacecraft for disposal. You never know if an ORU or other item needs to be returned in a Dragon & could make use of it.

Thanks for the answers.  I have heard of packing material, more specifically foam, set aside on ground direction specifically for later use, planned or not, with items being returned.  After listening to numerous transfer discussions, trash means disposal, not save for future use.

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68

Could it also be a time vs cost thing? How long will it take to pop every bubble. Quite a bit if its small bubbles!
- Aaron

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 134

Given the context of unpacking in tight time constraints (3 shipments in 3 weekends), I would take this question to mean 'Do I need to spend time to open this neatly, saving the bubble wrap, or can I just tear through the plastic and be done?'

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 320
Jacques :-)

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 320
Jacques :-)

Offline litton4

• Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 149

Could it also be a time vs cost thing? How long will it take to pop every bubble. Quite a bit if its small bubbles!

Can't they just do what my kids used to do when we have a large amount of bubble wrap to dispose of?

Put it on the floor and run up and down along it.....oh wait..... ::)
« Last Edit: 03/29/2016 05:46 pm by litton4 »
Dave Condliffe

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
Occasionally, when shipments get backed up, such as in this case with US cargo resupply.  It's not likely to be desired given the disruption to lab work.

Another case was with the slips of Shuttle STS-133, with four in January/February 2011 (HTV, Progress, ATV, Shuttle)

True, but in the case of STS-133 you had a surge of crew members to help with moving cargo and extra volume to store stuff (PMM wasnt entirely full yet, and you had the orbiter's crew module and airlock)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography