Author Topic: Catch A Falling Star - Film capsules in support of the CORONA program  (Read 3485 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
As a companion to a thread titled "The Last Bucket Catch - Film capsules in support of the GAMBIT program" at this location:  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41243.0
I decided to post this new thread to cover the First Bucket Catching mission with the CORONA program:

Catch A Falling Star Part 1

Uploaded on Sep 21, 2010
Catch A Falling Star Part 1 C-119J performs aerial recovery of a deorbited satelite. The 1st successful recovery was accomplished on 19 August 1960

Highlights from a government produced documentary on Corona, America's first reconnaissance satellite program. Corona operated from 1960 to 1972 with 145 launches. The data from Corona helped build confidence in the measures taken by our national leaders to counter the growing Soviet threat. And it was yet another example of America's pioneering achievements.

Firsts in History:
-The first recovery of a vehicle from space.
-The first use of a satellite to gather photo intelligence.
-The first midair recovery of a reentry vehicle.
-The first mapping of the earth from space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIf8nJsq0Vo?t=001

and Part-2

Catch A Falling Star Part 2

Uploaded on Sep 21, 2010
Catch A Falling Star Part 2 C-119J performs aerial recovery of a deorbited satelite. The 1st successful recovery was accomplished on 19 August 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaVh5Jdh_2c?t=001

« Last Edit: 09/25/2016 06:43 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Is it me, or at 2:48 when he just tosses his coffee cup out back of the C-119, then you think, oh wait, this all started with them tossing an empty Thor into the same ocean.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
Is it me, or at 2:48 when he just tosses his coffee cup out back of the C-119, then you think, oh wait, this all started with them tossing an empty Thor into the same ocean.

Yea, contributions to the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch".  http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/about/media/how-big-great-pacific-garbage-patch-science-vs-myth.html
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
  • Likes Given: 2

Back in the 1990s I interviewed a bunch of CORONA people. I was talking to one guy--I cannot remember who, but he was USAF--and I asked him what happened to all the buckets. After all, they recovered over 100 of them, but there were only a handful on display or publicly accounted for. He made me turn off my tape recorder and then told me how every couple of months he and another Air Force guy would take the returned buckets and any other classified equipment and they would take sledgehammers to them. They would then load them into the back of a C-47 (a military DC-3) and fly out over the Pacific Ocean and then just shove the stuff out the door. He said that it probably violated OSHA regulations or other laws about dumping trash at sea.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Other than at that point in time, dumping at sea was common practice. Interesting that they disposed of classified materials like that, but I guess it beats warehousing the stuff.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
  • Likes Given: 2
Other than at that point in time, dumping at sea was common practice.

Still quite common. And it's something that the U.S. Coast Guard and other coast guards monitor. A common practice is for ships that are about to reach port to pump out bilge water or empty their sewage so that they don't have to pay fees at the port in order to have it pumped out there. But if they do it at sea and a maritime patrol aircraft catches them, they can be fined. There was an incident a few years ago involving a freighter with a "magic pipe" that they were using to pump out their bilge water. Got spotted on an infrared camera by a patrol plane. Resulted in a major fine, I believe.

So, yeah, we've long used the oceans as a dumping ground.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography